I can see the Bank Apps being an issue. As to news, doesn't Twitter push most news to people if they subscribe to it? the Score is fairly broad, but mostly North American. Good points. Maybe time will solve some of these issues.
    I'm not sure it's acceptable to say I'm going to use twitter to curate my own funnel for news just because my phone doesn't support many other options.

People want choice. I use BBC's push notifications because their sense of what is important enough to push matches mine nicely. For others it may be Bloomberg or ABC or something else. I like to stream TV shows from our TiVo, someone else may want the PS4 app, and the next person may be more interested in an app to rent a Zipcar.

If you walk into a grocery store you might say why does this store have so many aisles and so many products when my shopping list includes just 15 items. Well, you just have to look around at the other customers who are buying different items from their own lists.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-09-13 at 07:00 AM.
    illlya likes this.
    12-09-13 06:48 AM
    There are always apps being developed for various products. A lock by Kwikset. A camera by GoPro. A park guide by Disney. A remote access by Dish Network. None work on BB, all work on my Ipod Touch.

These are things that make having a product compatible with most apps an advantage. Every time any product or service says they have an app, it most likely does not work with BB, so that is the app issue.

So, while it's easy to try and minimize apps by saying "don't' we have enough" the answer is different each day for each person.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-09-13 07:05 AM
    As a boat operator, you need to get/look at Weather Radar USA: it does show the usual time-lapse front images color coded to show intensity. Now, however, it also identifies individual cells within the fronts and assigns each cell a dynamic speed and direction. Awesome!
    12-09-13 07:23 AM
    Interesting stuff. How do you use Netflix? Do you watch on the phone or send to a TV somehow?
    Peter C4 - I do both. I have a couple of the HDMI to mini HDMI cables (one stays in my laptop bag). I was on vacation this summer and plugged the Z10 into the hotel TV, changed the HDMI input, and the boys could watch cartoons, movies, etc. without having to rent from the hotel. At home, I have a Blu-Ray player w/Netflix in the family room, so I don't need it there. I have, however, plugged my Z10 into the other TV's to watcha NetFlix show. The only time I'd consider watching on the device is when it's only me...like at an airport (delayed) or in a hotel room. I carry a couple of spare batteries...
    12-09-13 10:39 AM
    In short...either you need a tool or a toy. If you are primarily using your phone for "fun" then a BlackBerry might not be for you. If you need an efficient device that you can tweak at your leisure, get a BlackBerry. I never understood having a ton of apps on a phone for things it should do out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 11:25 AM
    Only thing I really miss are the financial apps.

The browser is very good, but the convenience isn't there.

Other than that I've been able to find an app to cover just about everything else.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 12:43 PM
    No matter how good is the phone or OS, if they are not able to get developer on board , and eventually get the customer to buy . It's going to be very tough to survive .

need in native
    Gps services , google waze, gps pin drop
    Social media and IM
    VoIP 3rd party
    Cam card / world card
    Great low light , fast camera ( not megapixels but pixel size , for cam card )
    Games is not very important

Irregardless of what they say the new run time is going to rock - it's not logical, android changes fast for bb to catch up, too much variable for softwares to work seamlessly . Bb market dropping fast . Developer are still not on Board

My prediction is still , bb will keep nosediving . They need a solid pull up and fast
    12-09-13 05:44 PM
    Peter C4 - I do both. I have a couple of the HDMI to mini HDMI cables (one stays in my laptop bag). I was on vacation this summer and plugged the Z10 into the hotel TV, changed the HDMI input, and the boys could watch cartoons, movies, etc. without having to rent from the hotel. At home, I have a Blu-Ray player w/Netflix in the family room, so I don't need it there. I have, however, plugged my Z10 into the other TV's to watcha NetFlix show. The only time I'd consider watching on the device is when it's only me...like at an airport (delayed) or in a hotel room. I carry a couple of spare batteries...
    Impressive. My problem is my phone and email need to be at the ready all the time, and I don't typically dedicate it to a movie or music. I just use it differently.
    12-09-13 06:04 PM
    Very interesting responses. A little more on my perspective. I have worked with one of the lawyers who worked on the initial IPO for Research in Motion (RIM) now Blackberry and I can remember seeing my first device and wondering what he was doing. We were all in awe when we realized he was sending emails wirelessly. Soon, many business people adopted this device and when it was combined with a phone it was outstanding. We had dedicated servers and hundreds of thousands of professionals used this device. It was robust, easy to type, did the job and was secure. Over time it got better and I was, like many of my colleagues, a devout business user of Blackberry smart phones. My conditioning was, and up until now has been, that it was a business device. That is why the current Z30 seems like such a leap to me with most of the popular social media, major news feeds and stock market news available, a working browser, excellent battery life and an easy to use screen size. Now I see the dichotomy that exists - and maybe it's tilted. A certain amount of the users that influence these device sales use it for much broader uses and I suppose base their decision on what is important to them. So if your phone carries an App that lets follow the Romanian Water Polo Team....and that's your favourite team....then your bias is to the Romanian friendly phone. Reading a PDF document or an Excel spread sheet may be irrelevant.

I guess I can still see the market for Blackberry, that is primarily focused on business use - secure and robust business use. Maybe that's optimistic. But I would never tie up my phone or email device with anything other than a quick read of business news, a view of the markets, or a scan of my other email accounts. And many business users still like the dedicated keyboard. For the rest....I would use a portable tablet or some such thing. As to banking, hard to say if I would do that with my cell phone. Anyway, interesting responses. There will lots of corporations thinking about what happens with this next generation of phones.
    12-09-13 06:21 PM
    Over the past few years and by few I mean 6 or more, Apps have been a standard requirement on all platforms of OS.
    Apple and iOS have been leading the charge and raising the bar for Apps, the other platforms in some cases, unable to keep up. Apple brags about all the Number of Apps available in the store and how they blow the competition away. Billions of consumers have chewed on this thought of "Apps" and yes, yes, yes... Apps Apps Apps... more apps.
    I've enjoyed BlackBerry devices for several years. 7100 sure type to be exact dates my BlackBerry involvement. I've had almost every model of BlackBerry including my current Z10, at times changing to the current device four months at a time. Definitely Crackberry fit the describing of my obsession.
    I first started downloading apps on my BB8100 pearl, yes I know pearls are for girls... but it's still a blackberry, starting with Crackberry app. These apps I noticed were merely shortcuts for the mobile website m.www.filltheblank.com, didn't disappoint me, but my Web browser on the blackberry could be bookmarked for the mobile website and not take space on my home screen. I did this for years not understanding the App discussion on apple and Windows and blackberry for that matter.
    In the last two years I've tried several android devices and finally a iPhone4s. I noticed these devices had terrible Web browsers and at times couldn't load a mobile website without wifi. There is no wonder apps or applications were required for iPhone and some early android OS phones. The Web browsers couldn't handle the small requirements to load the website. Making the devices inferior to BlackBerry and Trio.
    To offset this, applications were developed and simple people ate it up. Making applications a requirement on devices that don't need them.
    The Mass' rule who is the industry leader. I pod was a good invention. I phone is an ipod with mobility. Needing a wheelchair for its Web browser.... applications being for handicapped devices.

Aaron Julius
    @ AJfromLummi

Posted via CB10
    BB_Junky likes this.
    12-15-13 11:54 AM
    Better camera would be nice, and TheScore App notifications working.. no deal breakers. Anyone with over 2 pages to swipe thru due to apps, I suggest organizing them into folders. Clean things up nicely. Games4Kids, Games4me, and News pretty much cut the pages in half, now just swipe thru two of them.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 10:14 PM
36 12