I suspect like most, I started using a Blackberry at work and found it to be the ideal device to integrate phone with email. The new Z30 has moved into a new era and in my view, it is a very robust, easy to read, quick operating device. But I hear a lot about a lack of Apps. What Apps? I use my phone primarily for business purposes. Here's how I look at it....

1) I monitor three email accounts, 2 personal - the Hub is very efficient.
    2) I have the Bloomberg App for business news and a Stock Market App which I watch closely.
    3) I have Twitter which pushes news at me from the WSJ, Reuters, The Globe and Mail - even Perez Hilton if you want.
    4) I have the CBC news and CNN news App.
    5) The conference bridge capability of setting up meetings in Outlook with the appropriate number already in the meeting request is great.
    6) The hands free capability of the phone, when used in an emergency conference call setting is exceptional.
    7) The notification and "Join Conference Call" button/feature is great.
    8) The advance prompter for meetings on the home screen is perfect and provides you with what you need at a glance.
    9) Text messaging is great, although I don't use it much, BBM channels seems like an interesting feature.
    10) Flipboard is good for various news features when you are sitting in an airport or something like that.
    11) Internet access seems reasonably quick.
    12) I have LinkedIn, Facebook, Songza and the ever important the Score and Toronto Maple Leafs App.
    13) I have SoundHog so when I can identify music when I hear a song I like.
    14) One of the best calculator apps I have seen being a mock up of an HP12C. I have used this to calculate PV, FV, interest - exceptional.
    15) An integrated contact list with LinkedIn.
    16) The phone reads Excel, Word and PDF documents quite well.
    17) I have a GPS map, but I have those devices in my cars, boat etc.
    18) FourSquare is cool.

I have skipped a few excellent features, but seriously, what else could I possibly do on this thing during the day? I have an iPod for the car and an internal hard drive, an iPad, an iMac, and a computer at work. I have downloaded some music on my Z30 for fun and it was relatively easy, but that's not what I use it for. I took a picture with it the other day... but I have a camera for that. I find the Z30 so robust and it performs everything I need in a business environment so much better than anything before it. My wife has an iPhone. All she uses it for is - a phone and email, although it has lots of Apps available to it. Maybe there are users out there that need a variety of "Angry Birds" type Apps. But this was never Blackberry's focus. Does it really need to be? I don't think so. Any other views?
    longuser12, Harpagid and limabo like this.
    12-07-13 05:54 PM
    No. Not everybody will ever be satisfied. A device can have all but one app they want and it's still a deal breaker.
    12-07-13 06:20 PM
    I don't think business users think like that...but maybe I'm wrong.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 06:31 PM
    I had hopped away to iPhone and was a supporter of bb and bb 10 for the past 10 years .

The main business side of the phone is very good on bb 10 . While you need to buy apps in iOS . iOS hangs sometimes ( but recover very quickly) and bb 10 is smoother overall .

Keyboard nothing beats bb 10 so far . It understands 2 languages . Unlike others need to switch between languages

But when it comes to other communication and gps softwares , iOS is much better supported and integrated . Skype , kakao , viber , Instagram . Google maps , drop pins

5s camera is the best , I no longer need to carry my S110 canon . And it makes business card scanning a breeze .

Windows phone for example have a lot of great stuff going for them however my colleague told me gmail is a pain with their phones ..that alone is a disaster .

It's the little little things , give and take but I found less irritated with iPhone 5s
    12-07-13 07:36 PM
    I had hopped away to iPhone and was a supporter of bb and bb 10 for the past 10 years .

The main business side of the phone is very good on bb 10 . While you need to buy apps in iOS . iOS hangs sometimes ( but recover very quickly) and bb 10 is smoother overall .

Keyboard nothing beats bb 10 so far . It understands 2 languages . Unlike others need to switch between languages

But when it comes to other communication and gps softwares , iOS is much better supported and integrated . Skype , kakao , viber , Instagram . Google maps , drop pins

5s camera is the best , I no longer need to carry my S110 canon . And it makes business card scanning a breeze .

Windows phone for example have a lot of great stuff going for them however my colleague told me gmail is a pain with their phones ..that alone is a disaster .

It's the little little things , give and take but I found less irritated with iPhone 5s
    So I have Skype on my Z30 - never actually used it, I don't even know most of the others, Google Maps and Instagram I know, but what is the importance of those say compared to having bridge conferencing details built into outlook? I see there is an Instagram App for Blackberry, don't know that I would need it. Is it very different from posting pictures on Facebook?
    12-07-13 08:23 PM
    So I have Skype on my Z30 - never actually used it, I don't even know most of the others, Google Maps and Instagram I know, but what is the importance of those say compared to having bridge conferencing details built into outlook? I see there is an Instagram App for Blackberry, don't know that I would need it. Is it very different from posting pictures on Facebook?
    Those you had mentioned all ported and the performance is not working very smoothly . Skype had improved slightly with the new android port . Instagram got third party native apps .

Facebook functionality is similar, more functions and integration on iPhone .

I use google apps , so far it's fine for all , I think bb10 is slightly more automated and complete without needing 3 rd party apps do do many things like add tickets to bb travel , invite for meeting , push to do and reminder for mail . They have excellent business functions , the things I hate most about bb 10 is the way they handle contacts , I end up with 7 duplicates due to skype maybe
    12-07-13 09:42 PM
    There is a way to combine duplicates or contacts under LinkedIn, Outlook, Gmail etc. Go to the contact in question, go to More, go to add links, and then add a link to the other contact for the same person. The invite process to meetings, setting conference bridges, and setting dates is excellent in BB10.
    12-07-13 11:55 PM
    Ever since I've had 10.2.1.1055 and able to get apps without using my laptop, I've not actually known what to get. There's nothing I don't use that BlackBerry 10 doesn't already have. I'm happy to use the browser.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 12:48 AM
    I agree, we have enough apps for what I use as well. BBRY took it to the next level and with that comes the people attracted to the iPhones and androids so the lack of fart apps and such all of a sudden are a big issues.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 12:59 AM
    As a personal user not a business user there are quite a few things missing. Now I have side loaded instagram and the android Facebook app (the BlackBerry one is atrocious) I'm happy.

I think for rim to stay up to date and make more sales they need to appeal to the personal users. There is a reason iPhone and Android are so popular - they're fun to use. It's the biggest market so they need to bridge those gaps. I however love my z30 even though I'm a personal user it does everything I need

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 02:11 AM
    the only thing I use daily that wasn't available is the Starbucks app..... and no, make doesn't cut it

12-08-13 02:26 AM
    This post is all about Prosumer which is where BlackBerry have now re targeted.

I am very much in agreement, there is all the stuff I need. A lot of people on Blackberries won't be happy when the next Candy Crush or the alike is released and it only gets released on Apple or Android. To me, I won't care, to many they "need" this new thing in their lives so will be narked, come on here and shout how BlackBerry are useless and they are jumping ship to a competitor.

This is unfortunately what makes up a lot if forum posts these days.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 02:28 AM
    Interesting responses so far. I have been casually using my Brother's Samsung S4 for a while when we have dinner together or whatnot and I finally realized....he is using a Windows OS. I thought that is what an Android system looked like. His company evaluated a number and he chose Windows. I have to say it is a fantastic experience and again, I don't know if there are a lot of Apps for it, but it is a very easy to use business phone with good graphics and important news feeds. Since the only phones I have access to are BB, iPhone and Windows operating systems, I went to a local store to check out an Android phone. I spent about 45 minutes with it. I'm sure if I spent long enough I would get used to it, but I found it so unstructured from phone to phone and not really that different from a Blackberry, but organized differently - not necessarily better. I didn't see any special apps that would make a difference.
    12-08-13 02:33 PM
    My Z30 and and BB10 are great and do everything that I need... I have 4 screens full of apps. I mostly use the ones on the first screen

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 03:01 PM
    Just want to point out that BlackBerry 10 does have a variety of Angry Birds apps! Lol

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 08:21 PM
    I use my BlackBerry primarily for work as well, but I also use it for fun...and for networking...and to keep the kids quiet...and to stay organized at home. it's always with me (really...always), so I want it to be multi functional. I also want it to replace all of the single use devices that I used to carry, such as a digital camera and an ipod for music.

If I need to take a picture, I want it to look decent on a computer screen & not like camera phones from the late 90's.

Here are some of the Android apps that I use on my BB:

- Netflix - comes in handy on business trips & vacations with the kids
    - Rhapsody - I have a subscription & I want to get my money's worth. There's a BBOS app (legacy), but no BB10 app.
    - Shazam - although SoundHound is a fantastic alternative
    - Ask.fm
    - Chromecast - for my kitchen TV. App operates as the remote control
    - OurGroceries - grocery list sharing app. Used it on old BlackBerry device,but no BB10 app. My wife and I still use it
    - Various shopping apps, including Target, Banana Republic, Best Buy, Home Depot, Amazon, etc.
    - GateGuru - Awesome app for frequent travelers.
    - AllRecipes - I do lots of cooking when I am home.
    - Financial apps, such as AmEx, Bank of America, Chase, PayPal, Square, Discover, Think Bank, LevelUp, etc. Some are critically important to me.
    - AT&T unified voicemail app - Had this one on old BB, but not on BB10. Let's me listen to home vm from app
    - AT&T U-verse apps
    - Chicago Bears official app
    - A bunch of games

There really is a lack of apps on BB10, but it's understandable since it's an OS that's been out for under 1 year. And new apps are always being added.

In the end, consumers like to know that they can use something if they so chose. There 's nothing worse than limiting yourself (at least to some). There's a difference between not using something and not being ABLE to use something.

The reality is that all of these devices handle calls, get online at 4G speeds, handle email, calendars, etc. Some are marginally better than others at the different core tasks, but they're all sub standard compared to a full desktop experience.

A mobile device isn't the primary device that most will use, particularly at work, to check email, so Android and iOS fulfill the need while on the go. The added bonus is that they have access to hundreds of thousands of apps that really makes them more useful and enjoyable.

Many apps really are useful and convenient and are desired by many.

Keith H. via CB10 on Z10
    Last edited by kthhrrsn; 12-09-13 at 10:43 AM. Reason: typos
    12-08-13 08:36 PM
    I'm using

Iwatch dvr for watching the shop
    Yelp
    Gmaps
    Pinterest
    Snapchat
    Kijiji
    Ebay
    Shazzam
    The Chive
    Netflix
    Myfitness pal

Apks installed directly

Posted via Q10 10.2.1.1055 using CB10
    12-08-13 08:41 PM
    I deleted instagram for Igrann beta 3 as it works 10000000x better for q10 as the whole screen is the pic size. Bb10 optimized apps are def better as Igrann proves but the side loaded ones do the job

Posted via Q10 10.2.1.1055 using CB10
    12-08-13 08:42 PM
    Interesting stuff. How do you use Netflix? Do you watch on the phone or send to a TV somehow?
    12-08-13 11:06 PM
    Peter C4, I think you have nailed it. I am in a similar profession (technical, not financial) but our business needs are generally the same. My partner uses the IPhone 5 so out of curiosity I tried some of the functions that I use regularly. I found myself absolutely lost - no direct interface with Windows Explorer, no SD card for storage of large files, no Adobe Reader, primitive typing experience, no USB to Go, questionable sound quality, etc. Frustrated, I handed it back to her and she smiled, not really caring about such things - just phone and email please. Lately I have been using the Z30 for 3-way calling and BBM Video calls. I mean seriously - this thing is powerful and I challenge any serious phone user to compare the speed and functionality of the BB. The sooner the great unwashed become aware of the media frenzied iOS nonsense, the better.
    12-08-13 11:23 PM
    I
    4) I have the CBC news and CNN news App.
    12) I have LinkedIn, Facebook, Songza and the ever important the Score and Toronto Maple Leafs App.
    These two points illustrate the issue. If you are Canadian, you've got what you need. But what if someone wants the BBC app, not CBC?

Instead of the Maple Leafs, what if I am a fan of one of the other hundreds of professional sports teams in the world?

Yes, banks in Canada have BB10 apps, but what if I use a bank in the US or Germany or Japan?

Everyone says �I need just 5 or 10 apps�, but the next person needs his 5 or 10 apps which are different, and the person after him needs her own 5 or 10 favorite apps which are again different, and so on.

There is no question that a majority of the biggest BB10 fans here are Canadian, and it seems the experience works well up there. But BlackBerry can't survive on Canada alone and on an app catalog that satisfies Canadians only.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 and kthhrrsn like this.
    12-08-13 11:33 PM
    I must have Waze for letting clients and family know when I'm arriving. Using on the Q10 is extremely painful, as there is no native version. JetBlue apk sideloaded is painful too. Bank of America app doesn't work without debug token, so that's out. The mobile site doesn't do deposit by photo, which I also need every day.
    12-08-13 11:44 PM
    Interesting stuff. How do you use Netflix? Do you watch on the phone or send to a TV somehow?
    on phone at airports etc

hdmi out at home
    12-08-13 11:46 PM
    These two points illustrate the issue. If you are Canadian, you've got what you need. But what if someone wants the BBC app, not CBC?

Instead of the Maple Leafs, what if I am a fan of one of the other hundreds of professional sports teams in the world?

Yes, banks in Canada have BB10 apps, but what if I use a bank in the US or Germany or Japan?

Everyone says “I need just 5 or 10 apps“, but the next person needs his 5 or 10 apps which are different, and the person after him needs her own 5 or 10 favorite apps which are again different, and so on.

There is no question that a majority of the biggest BB10 fans here are Canadian, and it seems the experience works well up there. But BlackBerry can't survive on Canada alone and on an app catalog that satisfies Canadians only.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I can see the Bank Apps being an issue. As to news, doesn't Twitter push most news to people if they subscribe to it? the Score is fairly broad, but mostly North American. Good points. Maybe time will solve some of these issues.
    12-09-13 06:28 AM
    What is enough apps and for whom? For prosumers maybe there is enough? But there are any specialty apps for business that bb doesn't have that iOS and Android have. Seems the issue with BBRY for years has been the same thought, we have enough. How well has that been going?

I imagine they can survive with only enterprise and prosumers who don't need that stuff. Seems consumers want more.
    12-09-13 06:47 AM
36 12