I've been using it without trouble for my Z30 for months and months but today I can't seem to get it to work - with or without a cable. Can anyone help me? I REALLY need to back it up..... If it no longer works then is there an alternative? THANKS!!
    04-12-20 07:22 PM
    Blend doesn't do the backup/restore. Link does.

But Darcy's BlackBerry Tool and Sachise both can also do backup and restores as an alternative.

Backups still work and should until the day BlackBerry shuts down the BBID back-end.

No one knows how long that will be, could be less than a year, could be several more years.
    04-12-20 10:06 PM
    ..... If it no longer works then is there an alternative? THANKS!!
    Here is the link for Darcy's BlackBerry Tools if you wish to give it a try.

https://mega.nz/#!RlZXQADZ!DtfI0LT6h...ZIMF7F0hG9Nido

Posted via CB10
    04-13-20 06:16 AM
    I've been using it without trouble for my Z30 for months and months but today I can't seem to get it to work - with or without a cable. Can anyone help me? I REALLY need to back it up..... If it no longer works then is there an alternative? THANKS!!
    If your Z30 does not show up on your PC (when you plug your device in) you may have to temporarily enable SMBv1 port. If you search here on CB Forums you can find more info about this. It's not clear with your post whether or not the device loads on BB Link or just the backup itself does not work after your Z30 shows up on Link.
    04-13-20 12:04 PM
    When I plug my phone in my computer, it does NOT show up in LINK. It is grayed out and says disconnected and when I go to my computer files it does NOT show up as an additional drive like it usually did. I'm used to LINK and prefer to get it to work if I"m able but it sounds like it may be too complicated if I have to disable things!!
    04-13-20 12:15 PM
    When I plug my phone in my computer, it does NOT show up in LINK. It is grayed out and says disconnected and when I go to my computer files it does NOT show up as an additional drive like it usually did. I'm used to LINK and prefer to get it to work if I"m able but it sounds like it may be too complicated if I have to disable things!!
    You need to temporarily enable SMBv1 (when finished the backup and using Link, disable it again for security reasons). Enable SMBv1, reboot your PC and then plug in your Z30.

How to disable SMBv1 protocol on Windows 10
    Open Start.
    Type Turn Windows features on or off and click the result.
    Clear the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support option.
    Click OK.
    Click Restart now.
    04-13-20 02:09 PM
    Hey garfers,

Brookie is absolutely right on getting Link up again so follow those instructions, but you should also be able to connect to Blend. It is NOT a backup program but still works very well for me so I know it's functional. Let me know if you have trouble with it.
    04-14-20 07:00 PM
    You need to temporarily enable SMBv1 (when finished the backup and using Link, disable it again for security reasons). Enable SMBv1, reboot your PC and then plug in your Z30.

Open Start.
    Click OK.
    Click Restart now.
    Hi,
    I went to try this and the SMB 1.0/CIFS is NOT clicked on but the one under it is..the SMB Direct. Should I uncheck it?
    04-15-20 07:17 PM

Open Start.
    Click OK.
    Click Restart now.
    I also went on a laptop and tried this but it wasn't checked on the laptop either. Any other suggestions?
    04-15-20 07:45 PM
    I also went on a laptop and tried this but it wasn't checked on the laptop either. Any other suggestions?
    No, you need to temporarily enable (make a check mark in that box). The check mark will enable and then reboot your computer. Sorry my instruction states "disable" by clearing the check mark.
    04-15-20 08:09 PM
    Hi,
    I went to try this and the SMB 1.0/CIFS is NOT clicked on but the one under it is..the SMB Direct. Should I uncheck it?
    SMB Direct is a function of SMB v3, and not related to SMB v1.
    04-15-20 08:50 PM
    SMB Direct is a function of SMB v3, and not related to SMB v1.
    Sooooo, does that mean yes or no to my question? Sorry, I have no clue what this means, I'm just following directions.
    04-16-20 06:10 PM
    No, you need to temporarily enable (make a check mark in that box). The check mark will enable and then reboot your computer. Sorry my instruction states "disable" by clearing the check mark.
    got it! Thanks I'll try that tonight! Fingers crossed!!
    04-16-20 06:11 PM
    Sooooo, does that mean yes or no to my question? Sorry, I have no clue what this means, I'm just following directions.
    Means it has nothing to do with SMB v1, so it doesn't matter what you do with SMB Direct. Just leave it alone.
    04-17-20 12:16 AM
    Means it has nothing to do with SMB v1, so it doesn't matter what you do with SMB Direct. Just leave it alone.
    Thanks... I think joeldf..... your answer seems a bit angry. Sorry if I'm stupid.
    04-17-20 07:21 PM
    Thanks... I think joeldf..... your answer seems a bit angry. Sorry if I'm stupid.
    I think you misunderstood. He was trying to be concise - not angry.
    04-17-20 07:42 PM
    It does sound like that, and I apologize. It wasn't intentional.
    04-17-20 07:45 PM
    I think you misunderstood. He was trying to be concise - not angry.
    OK thanks and I'm sorry joeldf ...it just seemed like a curt response when trying to "teach" someone something. My bad.
    04-19-20 05:26 PM
    It does sound like that, and I apologize. It wasn't intentional.
    I hope you got my message I sent. I'm sorry for the comment. I'm a little flustered with this issue and I took your kindness and helpfulness wrong. I can see the back up & restore when wifi is on but it won't work on wifi so I turned off wifi and then lost the connection. I'm at wits end...any ideas besides throwing eveything out the window?
    04-20-20 06:53 PM
    I hope you got my message I sent. I'm sorry for the comment. I'm a little flustered with this issue and I took your kindness and helpfulness wrong. I can see the back up & restore when wifi is on but it won't work on wifi so I turned off wifi and then lost the connection. I'm at wits end...any ideas besides throwing eveything out the window?
    A 6lb sledge hammer would do good.

On a more serious note, the next thing would probably be to uninstall all the BlackBerry Link/Drivers etc and start over from scratch installing them.
    If that fails, you could refer to the link I provided above concerning Darcy's BlackBerry Tools for now.
    04-20-20 07:10 PM
    Actually, I do want to come back to the backup question.

Technically, Link does NOT need the SMB v1 protocol for the backup function to work. It only needs the drivers loaded to be able to at least "see" the device. The SMB v1 protocol is only for file management - either through Link, or to see the memory in the phone as network drives so you can use the Window File Explorer.

I've backed up and restored on my Z10 many times while SMB v1 was off on my Windows 10 PC. In my screen shot, Link recognizes my Z10. With that, backups and restores still work. What it can't do is manage the files or see them for the bar graph in the device home tab in Link. The "Connection Error" in the lower left is the error accessing the internal memory as device drives. All I did to the image was blur out the device name, my log in name, the device PIN, and point out the empty bar graph.

If you can't get Link to even see the device, then try as suggested above, uninstalling everything. Reboot the PC, then reinstall everything. Maybe reboot again. Then try connecting the phone to the PC. Link should see it if everything installed properly.

For managing files in the Windows File Explorer, then you will need to enable SMB v1.
    Attached Thumbnails Does the backup feature in BB Blend still work?-annotation-2020-04-22-113315-copy.jpg  
    04-22-20 01:14 PM
    I have disabled SMBv1 protocol on Windows 10 and managed to connect and backup my device successfully. Before doing so, link could not detect my device.
    04-22-20 02:39 PM