Unfortunately after looking at the picture I doubt that was a drop from 3 feet. Even if it was it doesn't matter because the picture shows sign of impact, since it originated from the huge dent in the glass near the blackberry logo and spiders out accordingly. Your device must have smacked into something along the way down creating a pressure point that the glass could not handle, can't really expect much if this happens. I've dropped my Z30 more than I've liked to, including face first at more than 3 feet with not so much as a scratch. But if you get the right angle it could be from 1 foot and still shatter. I'm sorry for your loss op

Posted via CB10 on my awesome new Z30!
    modine and Signhere like this.
    11-24-13 11:54 AM
    Unfortunately after looking at the picture I doubt that was a drop from 3 feet. Even if it was it doesn't matter because the picture shows sign of impact, since it originated from the huge dent in the glass near the blackberry logo and spiders out accordingly. Your device must have smacked into something along the way down creating a pressure point that the glass could not handle, can't really expect much if this happens. I've dropped my Z30 more than I've liked to, including face first at more than 3 feet with not so much as a scratch. But if you get the right angle it could be from 1 foot and still shatter. I'm sorry for your loss op

Posted via CB10 on my awesome new Z30!
    Actually, yes, it did fall only from a table onto hardwood. It appears to have absolutely no damage on any one side or the back of the device - it did land facedown. Looking at it, the damage at the bottom of the screen is the worst - it looks crumpled - even though there is that point in the middle that spiders out. The screen does still work tho. And I would say that's quite impressive because the damage is severe.

Was quoted $300-ish by Telus to have it sent back and repaired. I will try a local place tomorrow and see if I can save any money doing it that way. I don't want to ship it anywhere if I can help it.

I wanted and have been actively searching for a rubberized case like I've had for all my other berrys but there sure aren't many around yet and this is why the 11-day old phone didn't have one yet. Lesson learned!
    Last edited by modine; 11-24-13 at 01:50 PM.
    11-24-13 12:47 PM
    Do not drop any phone..

Z10/Q10/Z30
    gniko21 likes this.
    11-24-13 02:30 PM
    Do not drop any phone..

Z10/Q10/Z30
    this goes without saying but it will always happen.
    Breezygirl8 likes this.
    11-24-13 02:34 PM
    Glad I got this bulky OB defender case I guess, sorry to hear about your phone!!

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    11-24-13 03:57 PM
    Problem with all bb10 phones is... when that screen cracks... that's it.. no response no nothing...

Most other phones.. you can still use the phone even tho its cracked

Squircle device powered by 10.2.1.1055
    11-24-13 04:11 PM
    Problem with all bb10 phones is... when that screen cracks... that's it.. no response no nothing...

The OP said that the device still works, it's just not very pleasant nor safe to use because of the cracks.
    11-24-13 04:14 PM

The Z30 is still usable after the OP's drop. So not all BlackBerry 10 phones.

Edit : LazyEvul beat me to it.

Posted via CB10
    janzeeschuimers likes this.
    11-24-13 04:15 PM
    I guess I'm just talking about personal experience.. plus every other BlackBerry phone I seen with cracked screen

11-24-13 04:21 PM
    Do not drop any phone!! They are to expensive. Get a care ASAP for any phone you buy. You can drop it 100 times or just once and it could go to crap. Protect it the moment you get it.
    11-24-13 04:29 PM
    Hey guys. What I tend to do is when I want to smash a phone, I buy a cheap android and a cheap wp. And I try to break them. That way I get to "play" and my bb10 phones are secure.

You guys should try one day

Posted via CB10
    modine likes this.
    11-24-13 04:32 PM
    Hey guys. What I tend to do is when I want to smash a phone, I buy a cheap android and a cheap wp. And I try to break them. That way I get to "play" and my bb10 phones are secure.

You guys should try one day

Posted via CB10
    #FirstWorldSolutions
    pttptppt likes this.
    11-24-13 04:53 PM
    I remember dropping my old storm 2. The back cover would fly right off . In my opinion this absorbed the impact energy just like F1 cars. I do not know if this is what saved the phone so many times or it was just luck, but I am sure it helped.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 04:55 PM
    BTW, to the OP
    Get some packing tape, and tape the front of it up, leaving room for the speaker obviously.
    That way you can use it while you wait to get it remedied.
    modine and Thachoc1 like this.
    11-24-13 09:57 PM
    I have purchase insurance on my credit even if it is my fault they cover it. I put everything on the credit card.
    11-24-13 10:11 PM
    I didn't switch devices until I had a case I could throw on my device. Sorry for your loss. Find a nice case while the phone is getting fixed OP.
    modine likes this.
    11-24-13 10:12 PM
    this goes without saying but it will always happen.
    I've never dropped a phone and I've owned them all

Z10/Q10/Z30
    11-25-13 07:05 AM
    I've never dropped a phone and I've owned them all

Z10/Q10/Z30
    Don't jinx

11-25-13 07:51 AM
    I had a higher drop than you and thankfully it survived. may be an angle thing.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 09:14 AM
    I've warned my BB10 group members, you're likely to only get one good drop and its game over for your Z30. I almost fumbled mine coming out of a restaurant last Friday. My heart skipped beats!!! I'm so scurred!!!
    modine and howards like this.
    11-25-13 09:51 AM
    This is why I always insist on extended warranty + insurance. Plus I pay with MasterCard which helps. Screen protectors help a ton and if the screen does break, almost all of the companies will take care of it for you. The fact that the digitizer still works supports my case that it does use Gorilla Glass instead of the Touch on Screen that the Z10 uses. I am without a case right now until mine comes, dropped it last night from about 3 feet onto carpet with no issues.
    11-25-13 10:13 AM
    BTW, to the OP
    Get some packing tape, and tape the front of it up, leaving room for the speaker obviously.
    That way you can use it while you wait to get it remedied.
    great idea
    11-25-13 10:24 AM
    Ya, it's really unfortunate. I had a Z10, and dropped directly on top of piece of concrete, screen side first, and it just made a very minor mark. I was shocked! I totally expected it to shatter. I now have a Z30, and also dropped it a few times on a hard surface, but it survived. I don't think your incident makes the device cheap and will crack/break on any fall. I agree with a lot of people that it all depends on how it fallsl, and it is not specific to BB devices. My son's ipod fell the same way as my Z10, and it's all cracked. My nieces iphone, cracked when falling off the table.

Its all a matter of luck I guess.
    11-25-13 10:35 AM
    $230 all in for replacement locally. 2 week wait for the part and then 3 hours time to fix. Just an FYI. Yes, a case is cheaper
    11-25-13 11:23 AM
    Title of the thread should be changed to "Do not drop your smartphone naked!"

Posted via CB10
    modine likes this.
    11-25-13 11:25 AM
60 123