I noticed since this morning that my phone earpiece sounds somehow distorted in call, and also has its volume way higher than usual, even at halfway down. A reboot didn't fix this, so I am worried the issue is hardware.

Anyone else with this issue?

Posting via my nuclear powered Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.500
    05-10-15 06:52 AM
    Have you explored the various Phone SETTINGS. In the phone app, swipe down and select Settings. There's some Call Audio settings to boost base and/or treble. There's also a Hearing Aid Mode.

Hopefully, it is not a blown (hardware) speaker.
    05-10-15 08:07 AM
    No issues here... Using 2744 OS with 2709 radio...

Posted via my  z30/2744
    05-10-15 08:51 AM
    I am having a similar issue with a one month old Z30 STA100-2. I think mine's hardware, but I've read elsewhere that sometimes it's software, and a volume key reset will resolve.

With mine there is a buzzing/crackling noise when the other party speaks, which is about tolerable at minimum volume but dreadful in a noisy environment. There are plenty of videos online about how to strip down a Z30, it's just 10 T4 Torx screws and a plastic edge to remove the screen. I believe the earpiece speaker is secured by some tape to the back of the screen mounting, a new one is only about 5-10 USD/GBP. No way would I get involved with BlackBerry warranty for this - the warranty seems worthless - but your view may vary.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 01:37 PM
    I am having a similar issue with a one month old Z30 STA100-2. I think mine's hardware, but I've read elsewhere that sometimes it's software, and a volume key reset will resolve.

With mine there is a buzzing/crackling noise when the other party speaks, which is about tolerable at minimum volume but dreadful in a noisy environment. There are plenty of videos online about how to strip down a Z30, it's just 10 T4 Torx screws and a plastic edge to remove the screen. I believe the earpiece speaker is secured by some tape to the back of the screen mounting, a new one is only about 5-10 USD/GBP. No way would I get involved with BlackBerry warranty for this - the warranty seems worthless - but your view may vary.

Posted via CB10
    Well, this looks like the same issue, the crackling noise dissappear at 1/2 and lower volume in conversation for me. I tried a reboot but it didn't solve it. Next on the list is using an autoloader to reinstall 10.3.2.500 (got android runtime issues too). If this doesn't work, I will tear it down and check the speaker state.

I do have the tools already, since I repaired iPhones for cash in college and also torn down few and fixed BlackBerrys too.

I will keep you posted.

Posting via my nuclear powered Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.500
    05-11-15 02:15 AM