Dont worry about your friends on iOS , They are on the way, just taking a different path back home to the real phone company.
    02-20-14 06:52 PM
    I wanted to let you in on one of the best kept secrets of BlackBerry phones that until BBM went cross-platform was available only to us CrackBerrians. Since you have a family and I'm sure not everyone has a BlackBerry, I'd recommend everyone in your family install BBM on their phones. Then create a BBM Group (you can call It Dad's Family) and invite everyone into it. Here are some of the best features:
    That is awesome, just tried it out. I did install BBM on my iPhone (and wife's iPhone) but never thought to click on the Group thing. Very neat about sharing events and photos. Thanks for bringing to my attention, that has real world value, not just a Wow feature.
    anand_ma likes this.
    02-20-14 07:01 PM
    I worry that your label of average user is now ruined by your interaction on here. Perhaps part of your average user reviews should state about frequenting tech blog sites like this one in order to utilise your device more fully?
    02-20-14 07:01 PM
    My question is: As a user of a device, any device, you have to conform to how the device works. Over hours or days, we all learn to do that to some extent, but often we miss how this and that worked. What would you say are the top 5 biggest things you missed on the Z30 that is present on the iPhone? I know apps will be one, so skip that one Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.
    Well, the couple of apps that I really like on my iPhone that are not on the BB would probably be the major things on that top 5 lists, but you said skipping apps. I guess it would then be...

FaceTime
    PhotoStream
    iTunes
    iMovie

I know there are alternatives to all that in the BB world, just trying to honestly answer what were the top things, besides apps (which would be #1), that I missed while using the Z30.

Thanks,
    Dan
    kfh227 likes this.
    02-20-14 07:05 PM
    Well, the couple of apps that I really like on my iPhone that are not on the BB would probably be the major things on that top 5 lists, but you said skipping apps. I guess it would then be...

FaceTime
    PhotoStream
    iTunes
    iMovie

I know there are alternatives to all that in the BB world, just trying to honestly answer what were the top things, besides apps (which would be #1), that I missed while using the Z30.

Thanks,
    Dan
    I believe video chat will come to BBM cross platform eventually so that would address one of your items. You can sync iTunes onto your Z30 with an app but I have gone to Spotify and have left iTunes and BlackBerry World Music in the rear view mirror.

As far as the apps you are missing upgrading to 10.2.1 will likely solve that issue as you will be able to get Android apps directly from Amazon App Store. For example that is how I have Spotify and Netflix both on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 08:04 PM
    Now with snap app the BB10s are beaming with apps I'd like to see another test done with the snap app in action anyway from another mature male great job!!Dans the Man lol!

Posted from my Dell Venue 8 16g tab
    02-20-14 08:20 PM
    yeah the 1 million app store revenue is way more important than customer service of the OS or experience. That itself should be called a crime.
    02-20-14 08:55 PM
    Nice to read an honest review for once.

The iPhone is great for kiddie games but does pretty much everything else poorly. Even FaceTime and Photostream are kind of a joke compared to BBM, not to mention the numerous other options we have for sharing.

It's gotten to the point where I actually feel a bit of pity for those on the old school OSes. They don't know what they're missing. I sure didn't!

And by the way, Dad, BB10 just gets better as you learn to take full advantage of it.
    02-20-14 08:55 PM
    One of the best posts I have read in the forum. You must have made millions of fans with just one review and one thread
    Perhaps the best evidence the BlackBerry makes you more productive is this forum. What else could explain how you guys manage to keep up with these threads, make intelligent comments and I have to assume still have a life! Clearly it is the power of your BlackBerry devices that allows you to do all this. I'm trying to keep up with this one thread and worry I might forget to pickup my kids at school...or worse, forget I have kids.

Been reading all your great comments, don't want to monopolize things by responding to each one...and as a side note, is there a way to quote multiple people in one post? If there is, please post a link that explains how to do that. Couple of quick points...

1. BlackBerry Did NOT Stop Me From Loading 10.2.1

I think here or in comments elsewhere I have probably incorrectly referred to 10.2.1 as a "leaked release". That was just me being wrong (again). I get now that it is available from lots of carriers, including Verizon in the US on the Z10, just not on the Z30. Why, I have no idea? But does anyone really know why Verizon does what it does? Okay, must stay focused. Anyway, I get now that 10.2.1 has been available for a while as an official release on many phones and via many carriers.

The reason I did not install it for the review, is because the "average" user will pull the Z30 out of the box, turn it on and use it. I get installing the 10.2.1 does not void anything, still I wanted to capture the average user experience. I hit "Check for Updates" on my Z30 today and it still says I have the most current software (10.2.0) - so most people will leave it at that.

2. Yes, I Clearly Need to Do An Updated Video When I Have 10.2.1

Based on all people have said here and elsewhere, it really would not be accurate to leave the review at 10.2.0. Still using the Z30 and when I have 10.2.1 from Verizon, will do a follow-up review. Taking notes on all the great tips you have posted here, will try to include in video.

3. Just Me, Or Anyone Else See A Weird Parallel To The Apple World Of The 90's

I'm new here, so maybe this gets discussed all the time, but I find the parallel to the old Apple vs Microsoft days ironic. I'm a Dad, so I'm old enough to remember the 90's, when everyone was on the PC, expect for a few designers and art types on the Mac. The PC was the standard. Endless software for the PC. People in the Mac world loved their machines and most people even agreed that the Mac experience was superior, but there was not enough software for the Mac. People had friends who all used PCs and they worried about being able to run their software and share files if they went over to the Mac. There was even talk of Apple going bankrupt back in the day, because why would people ever leave the Microsoft/PC world to go the Apple world?

Like I said, I am sure others have talked about this at length, but just find it funny how the tables have turned. Here I am, an iPhone user saying that the Z30 is a superior phone in many ways, the BB OS is superior in many ways, but I am worried about leaving the iOS world where all the apps are and all my friends live. Hmm, funny how things change.

Sorry, this is getting way too long - I'll go back to reading your comments.

Thanks,
    Dan
    02-20-14 09:45 PM
    Impressive....(now thinking getting a Z30 is an important plan to have)
    02-20-14 10:33 PM
    Impressive....(now thinking getting a Z30 is an important plan to have)
    02-20-14 10:43 PM
    Dan,

Once my Canadian micro sim comes back from my friend, would you like me to mail it to you to load the official 10.2.1 update released in Canada? All you'd have to do is pop it in, turn on wifi and the update will appear. No need to wait on Verizon.
    Would be a lot easier than any other method like Sachesi. Let me know if that would help.

Channel for Asian eye candy
    02-20-14 11:39 PM
    Really good! Just shows the good and bad sides of the phone.. the app "problem" is now solved with 10.2.1.2141 so there ain't no reason not buying the BlackBerry z30

Posted via CB10 for my beloved Z30 running 10.2.1.2141
    It's only partly solved as Android apps overall are much slower than native ones and not all Android apps actually work on the Z30

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 02:31 AM
    Thank you for the BBM info Rickkel. I am a new Blackberry user and use these forums to learn how to take advantage of this great plattform.
    02-21-14 08:19 AM
    You are welcome Glenn. BBM Groups is one of those features that keeps me loving the BlackBerry platform. Even though it is now cross platform I'd still never leave.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 08:40 AM
    It's only partly solved as Android apps overall are much slower than native ones and not all Android apps actually work on the Z30

Posted via CB10
    Read that performance with the latest leak is greatly improved.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 09:45 AM
    What about a top 5 things that the z30 does that you wish the apple did or did as well?

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 09:49 AM
    Read that performance with the latest leak is greatly improved.

Posted via CB10
    Which still means it's not solved but might be once the new FW is complete and pushed to customers. That can take months. Also, it's not just performance - Android apps aren't integrated into the system at all. Spotify works but can't be controlled via Bluetooth. Skydrive / Onedrive works, but you can't open documents from it. Cal works but it won't show the calendars from your BlackBerry accounts. Get my point?
    02-21-14 11:10 AM
    Which still means it's not solved but might be once the new FW is complete and pushed to customers. That can take months. Also, it's not just performance - Android apps aren't integrated into the system at all. Spotify works but can't be controlled via Bluetooth. Skydrive / Onedrive works, but you can't open documents from it. Cal works but it won't show the calendars from your BlackBerry accounts. Get my point?
    You know, this is a really great point and something I posted somewhere in some comments. Are you guys worried that developers will have less incentive to make BB apps now that their Android apps can run on BB? One of the things that really impressed me about the BB OS was how well apps were integrated and of course the Hub. As Zipro points out, it looks like while many Android apps will run on BB now, if they are not integrated, doesn't that take away from the "magic" of the high productivity BB OS?
    02-21-14 03:44 PM
    Dan,

Once my Canadian micro sim comes back from my friend, would you like me to mail it to you to load the official 10.2.1 update released in Canada? All you'd have to do is pop it in, turn on wifi and the update will appear. No need to wait on Verizon.
    Would be a lot easier than any other method like Sachesi. Let me know if that would help.

Channel for Asian eye candy
    Hey u4ria,

That is a very kind offer - thanks. As much as I really am tempted to load up the 10.2.1 - from a reviewer's standpoint, I want to experience the phone the way our readers would when they get it. We do have readers all over the world, but at this point the majority are still US based, so I don't want to talk about features that will not be available to them at this point. I'm hoping Verizon pushes the update soon and then I will update my review.
    02-21-14 03:48 PM
    If anyone is interested, BGR did run a story on this today - BlackBerry Z30 Vs iPhone: Can an iPhone user survive with BlackBerry? | BGR

A slightly different vibe to the comments there
    SmileDahling and zocster like this.
    02-21-14 05:02 PM
    Nicely done on the video Dan. It is always nice to see someone that hasn't used a BB10 before use it and know that there are other choices BESIDES iOS.

Now, if only BlackBerry could influence more people to 'try' a Z10, Q10, or Z30. Honestly, BlackBerry would be booming...
    02-21-14 06:48 PM
    I think this is misleading as some apps are fully integrated and some are partially while others are not at all.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 07:50 PM
    I think this is misleading as some apps are fully integrated and some are partially while others are not at all.

Posted via CB10
    Photo apps seem to work, anything involving documents, other media files, contacts and calendars doesn't work right. I'm talking about side-loaded stuff, not apps installed via App World. The latter are frequently behind in terms of updates etc., though.
    02-22-14 12:01 AM
    You know, this is a really great point and something I posted somewhere in some comments. Are you guys worried that developers will have less incentive to make BB apps now that their Android apps can run on BB? One of the things that really impressed me about the BB OS was how well apps were integrated and of course the Hub. As Zipro points out, it looks like while many Android apps will run on BB now, if they are not integrated, doesn't that take away from the "magic" of the high productivity BB OS?
    Good point DAD, like your site !!!, I emailed Stock Twits App about making a Stock Twits App for BlackBerry 10. He gave me the same useless garbage not enough users and the website renders. When I hear render I think of Fender Bender ! Anyway I told him BlackBerry users would pay premium for free Apps. If I were a Stock Twits sales manger and refused a premium for my free app he would be fired. Heck there is a App on BB10 called Stock Turbo who has a Stock Twit feature, it's not the same but here is the Bender its $2.99. Wake up Stock Twits and the rest build BB10 Apps and get paid for it ! A little bit of old school sales pitch !

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 07:31 AM
228 ... 34567 ...