What I dislike about such reviews that became so popular over the last couple of years is that they mainly deal with taking pictures, screen sizes etc.
    A real "real life" review for me would also cover topics like "how is the calendar" or "how is object sharing" or "how is sound quality on phone calls" etc., compared to the other phone.
    But everybody just focuses on photography, which gets kinda boring....yawn.
    Nothing personal, the make of the video is very likeable, and as a BB follower I like the outcome. But no substantial insight on why the Z30 is considered better than an iPhone was given, except battery, larger screen, a hub and a neat photo feature.
    And yes, the iPhone has more apps. Well,...
    Great point. Once you become an avid use of the object sharing capabilities of BB10 any other system including my laptop just feel antiquated.

My new smashed Mini C0031C543 and a little bit of cross-country riding C00339A43.
    03-19-14 01:01 PM
    I have about two dozen Android Apps installed, about 40% Amazon, 40% Snap, and 20% BB World (purchased pre-10.2.1). I don't bother with BB World for Android apps anymore because one developer has stopped uploading updates (Meeting Minutes Pro), despite updates on other sites, and other developers don't provide timely updates (QPDF).

The Apps i've tried but failed to run usually require Google Services to be installed: Quick Office, Chrome, Firefox, OneNote, etc.

Happily running Apps such as: latest version of QPDF, KOBO, Overdrive, and a few astronomy Apps.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 01:02 PM
    Hey Rickkel, MikeLip and Skynny70

Thanks for the info. Yes, I really did not want to go through a complicated procedure to get the 10.2.1 until my carrier officially offered it, because I did not think "regular" users would do it. Verizon finally pushed it today, so that problem is gone. Now, I do need to figure out - would a "regular" user side-load? I did just install Snap via the procedure described here on CB and it was fairly easy. Is it for everyone? Honestly, probably not. I did have to add my IP address to the Google Chrome Extension and that would be enough to throw off some casual users. In any case, need to figure this out and maybe see how Amazon App Store compares to Snap.

Quick question - looking for some honest feedback on success rates when installing Android apps. I installed Netflix via Snap and it seems to work fine. I then saw some game called "SmashHit" as a top free game - so decided to install. It just crashed when I try to play it. Obviously, not a very big sample size - but I am at a 50% success rate.

To you power users who have installed or attempted to install a large amount of Android apps, what are you finding for a success rate?

Thanks for your help as always,
    Dan
    I have used Amazon App Store and Mobile1 Market because neither involve sideloading apps. You can download apps directly with both of these app stores and is the reason I chose these options. Snap is more than I want to deal with to get apps. I would say I am somewhere in bewteen a regular user and a power user.
    03-19-14 02:49 PM
    Here are the Android apps I run on my Z10...Spotify, Ookla Speedtest, Netflix, Kindle, & StubHub (I think this is Android). The last two I downloaded from BB World though.
    03-19-14 02:59 PM
    I forgot I have Ookla on mine too.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 05:29 PM
    I'm not sure why you used Chrome to sideload Snap. Using Sachesi is two files to download and one drag and drop process.

Hard to get easier than that.
    Hey,

Couple of people have asked why I didn't use Sachesi, just wanted to address that since it is a very valid question. I did try to install it on my Mac and got the error shown in the attachment...

DadDoes NESSEL REVIEW BLACKBERRY Z30 AND HE IS REALLY IMPRESSED-sachesi.jpg

So, I have heard how easy it can be, but was not the case for me. In any case, I followed the instructions here -

How to use Snap on BlackBerry 10.2.1 to install Android APK files | CrackBerry.com

and was able to install Snap via Chrome.

Just wanted to clear that point up.

Thanks,
    Dan
    03-19-14 10:17 PM
    Maybe, just maybe you shouldn't underestimate what 'casual users' would (be able to) do. People who have their phone for a couple of weeks tend to know more about it then they ever thought they would. And they don't even notice how much they know until someone not familiar with that phone asks questions about it.

Posted with my Z10 via CB10
    Hey Kimoi,

Great point and thanks for standing up for the casual user! This is a much bigger topic than I can go into here, but this really is the major challenge I see in any good product review. Who is the audience and what is their skill level? You are absolutely right, we don't want to sell people short and just write for the lowest common denominator. On the other hand, power users probably already know more than the person doing the review. It's a line that has to be walked and I will try not to sell people short.

Thanks to everyone who gave feedback about success rate with Android apps as well.

Thanks,
    Dan
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    03-19-14 10:24 PM
    Thanks for the fair review. I've only been a BlackBerry owner for 3 months and I'm hooked. Hope more people see your review and do the same. I don't want to have to downgrade back to android.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 10:48 PM
    Hey,

Couple of people have asked why I didn't use Sachesi, just wanted to address that since it is a very valid question. I did try to install it on my Mac and got the error shown in the attachment...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sachesi.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	256626

So, I have heard how easy it can be, but was not the case for me. In any case, I followed the instructions here -

How to use Snap on BlackBerry 10.2.1 to install Android APK files | CrackBerry.com

and was able to install Snap via Chrome.

Just wanted to clear that point up.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Thanks for your response to my question. I thought Macs never have problems. <haha>

I've seen something about needing QT or something like that on a Mac for Sachesi to work.

I just converted an iPhone user to the Z30 partially because of your review and partially because of a cracked screen.
    03-20-14 02:13 AM
    Hey Kimoi,

Great point and thanks for standing up for the casual user! This is a much bigger topic than I can go into here, but this really is the major challenge I see in any good product review. Who is the audience and what is their skill level? You are absolutely right, we don't want to sell people short and just write for the lowest common denominator. On the other hand, power users probably already know more than the person doing the review. It's a line that has to be walked and I will try not to sell people short.

Thanks to everyone who gave feedback about success rate with Android apps as well.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Thanks for your reply, Dan. I understand it's difficult for you to decide what casual users are capable of. On the other hand, you're writing a review and should show all important futures. To find a balance isn't easy.

As CrackBerry Kevin and others sometimes points out on their articles on the main page, he also struggles to write for such a broad audience. From newbies to power users, he wants his articles to be interesting for everyone but that just doesn't work all the time.

Maybe you could set up a poll on your website to ask some opinions of your followers, or set up a survey. The better you know your audience, the better videos you can make.

Anyway, good luck with your videos and thank you for your contributions to this thread! Very nice of you to come back to reply on comments and actually being part of this community.

Posted with my Z10 via CB10
    03-20-14 04:45 AM
    Hey DadDoes, just wanted to say I'm looking forward to seeing your thoughts on 10.2.1 for Verizon on the Z30. Not doubting it as I use it here in Canada, and I know plenty of BlackBerry users make use of it, but curious the opinion of someone who previously used the iPhone.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    03-20-14 10:52 AM
    Hey wait a sec, I thought BlackBerry gave you the phone to test it out, not to keep it, what gives?

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 11:03 AM
    Hey wait a sec, I thought BlackBerry gave you the phone to test it out, not to keep it, what gives?

Posted via CB10
    Some phone companies give them away. I know BBRY did. His to keep, I'm guessing.
    03-20-14 11:07 AM
    Yeah what's up with that Dan? Haha

Posted with my dirty thirty!
    03-20-14 12:03 PM
    I don't see this as a problem. All you do is say "For advanced users, access development mode to install apps not available in the BlackBerry World store, such as Snap. Snap allows the installation of Android apps directly from the Google Play store."
    I agree I don't see it as a problem at all. The question is would a very basic user want to expand their use of BlackBerry 10 that much. This is why the iPhone is so popular, it is made dead simple to work for anyone with little need to dig around inside. An iOS user may not want to get "advanced", regardless how simple it is to go advanced. That may be the target of his reviews.

03-20-14 02:25 PM
    I agree I don't see it as a problem at all. The question is would a very basic user want to expand their use of BlackBerry 10 that much. This is why the iPhone is so popular, it is made dead simple to work for anyone with little need to dig around inside. An iOS user may not want to get "advanced", regardless how simple it is to go advanced. That may be the target of his reviews.

Good point. Same reason, I think, that discussing rooting or jailbreaking devices is useless if one's article is geared towards the every day user. Not exactly the same thing, but it's the reason I wouldn't.
    03-20-14 02:36 PM
    I use mobile1 which doesn't need to be sideloaded and I'm getting a 60% ratio of working vs non working apps

Posted via CB10
    I suggest you to use Amazon store. But, even better, to side load snap. Better option!

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 02:44 PM
    Dan,

Hope the last month with Snap on your Z30 has been good. Many of us are looking forward to your "App Gap" situation report.

Maybe I see things differently, but it seems to me that if everybody you know uses an iPhone, it can be pretty nice for sharing. However, if you live in the real world where different people use different phones, the BlackBerry approach is much more flexible - utilizing existing standards and 3rd party cross-platform apps.
    03-30-14 10:56 PM
    He actually made a follow-up video already!

(From http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=919489)

Posted via CB10
    zyben likes this.
    03-31-14 12:05 AM
    Nice new video daddy. Another cool feature is reply now, I'll let someone else explain as it is still early in the morning here and I'm still in bed.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 07:20 AM
    Hey Guys,

I see someone was nice enough to share my updated video review in another thread, so I will comment there. Did want to add we also did an updated written review on the site if interested - BlackBerry Z30 Review Update, Who Knew .1 Was So Big? | Dad Does

I will comment on the new thread with any questions about my review, but I did want to thank everyone here for all their comments and suggestions, which formed the bases for my updated review. You guys are passionate and knowledgable, a real double threat! I talk about it more in the written review, but this whole focus on apps...by reviewers like me... is probably missing the whole point of the Z30. Real tricky spot for the marketing folks, you want to address the App Gap, but if that dominates the conversation and the comparison, BlackBerry is going to have trouble.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for all your input - Thanks!
    zyben, Vector-SS, kthhrrsn and 1 others like this.
    03-31-14 09:32 AM
    Hey Guys,

I see someone was nice enough to share my updated video review in another thread, so I will comment there. Did want to add we also did an updated written review on the site if interested - BlackBerry Z30 Review Update, Who Knew .1 Was So Big? | Dad Does

I will comment on the new thread with any questions about my review, but I did want to thank everyone here for all their comments and suggestions, which formed the bases for my updated review. You guys are passionate and knowledgable, a real double threat! I talk about it more in the written review, but this whole focus on apps...by reviewers like me... is probably missing the whole point of the Z30. Real tricky spot for the marketing folks, you want to address the App Gap, but if that dominates the conversation and the comparison, BlackBerry is going to have trouble.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for all your input - Thanks!
    Dad great review, just noticed the Z30 can have two Instagram platforms eg Igrann and Instagram. I have forwarded both your reviews to all my iPhones contact s' some are converting ....great site you have

Z30 : posted via CB10 app
    03-31-14 09:53 AM
    Great update video and written review. Sounds like you're really starting to enjoy the Z30 for what it can do.

BlackBerry is still a ways away from the Apple "cool factor" but, functionality-wise, they're making great strides. It could even be argued that they are the new leaders in this area.
    03-31-14 10:00 AM
    Now searching for an OTG cable like a mad man.

From Zarafet my Z30.
    03-31-14 01:13 PM
    The next review should be
    7 days without my Z30
    DadDoes likes this.
    03-31-14 02:51 PM
228 ... 78910