Apple security flaw could let hackers beat encryption When will this problem be added to the reviews ?

apple security = "It's as bad as you could imagine, that's all I can say," said Johns Hopkins University cryptography professor Matthew Green.
    Last edited by Motorhead777; 02-22-14 at 10:30 AM.
    02-22-14 08:01 AM
    Apple security flaw could let hackers beat encryption When will problem be added to the reviews ?
    Wow that's actually pretty bad!

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 10:05 AM
    Wow!!! Authorities had 100 percent success rate in breaking into iPhones. This would be a great opportunity for BlackBerry to include this in their marketing strategy.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 01:39 PM
    Wow!!! Authorities had 100 percent success rate in breaking into iPhones. This would be a great opportunity for BlackBerry to include this in their marketing strategy.

Posted via CB10

They can't bet their ad strategy on this because not even blackberry is 100% secure. If someone managed to hack it, the whole company would come like a house of cards
    02-22-14 01:45 PM
    Anyone know where the car dock is from?
    02-22-14 01:53 PM
    GOOD VIDEO. Just shows what a little bit of A D V E R T I S I N G could do ...!!

That phone has so much to offer and it really needs to get out & shown to the masses..

thanx Dan

Stk
    DadDoes likes this.
    02-22-14 02:00 PM
    In my view it's not a factor having a lot of apps I for one don't really use a lot anyway, it's just nice to have device that can accept other platform apps. To me that's pretty cool. All the apps I have tried via the Android monster so far no problems my wife wanted Viber on her Z10 it works great she's happy.

My amazing BB Z10 - OS 2141 also on my Z30 backed up with my 32g PlayBook in the wings
    02-22-14 02:44 PM
    In my view it's not a factor having a lot of apps I for one don't really use a lot

that may be true for you, but other people do use a lot of apps.
    02-22-14 03:07 PM
    Apple security flaw could let hackers beat encryption When will this problem be added to the reviews ?

apple security = "It's as bad as you could imagine, that's all I can say," said Johns Hopkins University cryptography professor Matthew Green.
    Thank you for posting the link to that article... I posted it on Facebook... And just added a comment about WhatsApp being down... do you think FB will censor that post??
    02-22-14 07:04 PM
    Anyone know where the car dock is from?
    Hey,

The car mount in the video is the Dash It - very cool little device we found at CES 2014. Not sure if it is on the market yet, I think it is?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Marauder2 likes this.
    02-22-14 09:16 PM
    I liked your unbiased review of the Z30. I'm a Z10 owner myself.
    What blackberry did as in asking you to use the device for a week, I've been doing the same with 4 friends of mine. I gave them a spare Z10 I managed to get for 175? on the net. I let them use it for 2 weeks and they totally loved it.
    Like you they like the hub and how well everything is integrated. They prefer native apps but if really needed they'll install an android app.

I have some proposals for you:

1) update your review after a months use and again after you update to 10.2.1

2) after that month switch back to only using your iPhone for a week and tell us how that goes for you

3) You should really try a Blackberry PlayBook. Mine's 2.5 yrs old and I still wow people with it every day. Especially at work when I have it hooked to a screen with micro HDMI giving a presentation and at the same time controlling it with my Z10. It's a nice little workhorse. You can get a 64gb version for around 120$. If you look better maybe even a 4G version.

4) Maybe you can have someone develop a native BB10 app for DadDoes? That would be awesome. If you reach out to Blackberry I think they'd be happy to assist you with that

Thx for taking the time to read.
    Cheers

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 11:09 PM
    Which still means it's not solved but might be once the new FW is complete and pushed to customers. That can take months. Also, it's not just performance - Android apps aren't integrated into the system at all. Spotify works but can't be controlled via Bluetooth. Skydrive / Onedrive works, but you can't open documents from it. Cal works but it won't show the calendars from your BlackBerry accounts. Get my point?
    Would you clarify what you mean by "Spotify can't be controlled via Bluetooth?" I am guessing you mean something other than streaming Spotify from your BlackBerry via Bluetooth to a speaker or BlackBerry Music Gateway? I do that daily.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 06:50 PM
    You know I have to say - the "app gap" issue isn't really fully solved yet imho.

The apps don't run smoothly, at least the ones I've installed. Not a great experience but I guess it's better than nothing - hopefully things will get better.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 07:18 PM
    You know I have to say - the "app gap" issue isn't really fully solved yet imho.

The apps don't run smoothly, at least the ones I've installed. Not a great experience but I guess it's better than nothing - hopefully things will get better.

The only place you'll see people infer that the app gap is closed are some people on CB. You know, people who supposedly didn't need apps to begin with.

As for the review, DD is absolutely ethically correct for reviewing the app as-is; that is he responsible thing to do.

Kudos to BBRY for seeding these devices to regular folks. I have no problem with the reviews from the big blogs, but I think getting them to the smaller blogs is very good strategy. Let the mom and dad bloggers have a feel for the device too. BBRY need not worry about the Mossbergs and co all the time. I still believe word of mouth is a bigger tool, and that's what bloggers like this give you. Well done, BBRY.

Great write-up, IMHO, and I look forward to seeing more technical type stuff.
    DadDoes and LuvULongTime like this.
    02-23-14 07:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    I have to agree. But we cope with it. I hope developers will see the potential of the BB10 OS and cascades and start developing more high quality native apps.
    The only way to do so is pushing more BB10 phones in the market.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 07:35 PM
    I have to agree. But we cope with it. I hope developers will see the potential of the BB10 OS and cascades and start developing more high quality native apps.
    The only way to do so is pushing more BB10 phones in the market.
    Fair point.

Which is why I value reviews like this, good or bad.
    02-23-14 07:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    Now I will say that for apps like Spotify and Netflix the Android apps have worked great for me. I don't really use Netflix that much. I really put it on for those who say BlackBerry doesn't have it. I am not a Vine or Instagram user so I can't comment accurately about those other "Big Name " apps that were seen as must haves by many.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 10:37 PM
    Now I will say that for apps like Spotify and Netflix the Android apps have worked great for me. I don't really use Netflix that much. I really put it on for those who say BlackBerry doesn't have it. I am not a Vine or Instagram user so I can't comment accurately about those other "Big Name " apps that were seen as must haves by many.

Posted via CB10
    Well Whine and iGrann are waaaaay better experiences than both vine and instagram - so that solves those two apps in my view. And after using them just to see what the big deal is - yes, those were huge must have apps, at least for the current generation. Although as far as i can tell - the vine and instagram "types" are more likely to use iPhones...not even android but just iPhones lol.

I should probably write this somewhere else but another thing - is that i can see that BlackBerry channels takes a huge inspiration from Instagram...but instagram looks nicer, is easier to use, has more active users, etc.

I see potential in channels but at the state it's at now, it's not that great and a lot of the so-called channels I joined are no longer even actively posting.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 01:02 AM
    Bbm channel is waaaaayyyyy different than instagram, lol..
    Aside from uploading higher resolution and downloadable pictures, it play gif files as well..
    And the chatting box makes direct conversation with channel owners much livelier..

Posted via Awesome Astro flying10.2.1.1925 on CB10. For a regular dose of Quotes, subscribe C001190A9 .
    02-24-14 01:48 AM
    Bbm channel is waaaaayyyyy different than instagram, lol..
    Aside from uploading higher resolution and downloadable pictures, it play gif files as well..
    And the chatting box makes direct conversation with channel owners much livelier..

Posted via Awesome Astro flying10.2.1.1925 on CB10. For a regular dose of Quotes, subscribe C001190A9 .
    How so, you have a home screen shows updates from your subs, a single picture or video is posted, and you can like and comment on the posted content. Looks pretty much the same to me.

With channels you can write a small paragraph with the post.

Those are nice tweaks in channels but it has a ways to go.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 09:04 AM
    How so, you have a home screen shows updates from your subs, a single picture or video is posted, and you can like and comment on the posted content. Looks pretty much the same to me.

With channels you can write a small paragraph with the post.

Those are nice tweaks in channels but it has a ways to go.

Posted via CB10

Instagram doesn't do .gif files.
    And bbm channel does.
    And on Bbm itself we can set our profile picture with a gif file as well.
    And pixel wise is much larger than instagram.
    I even saw and downloaded a lot of 622x1080px HD wallpapers from bbm channels.

THAT is waaaaayyyyy much better as I mentioned. And I'm not talking about UI or how instagram and bbm channel looks. But the files and functions. And oh yeah, as I mentioned, chatting with channel owner and fellow subscribers.

Different than instagram, right?

02-24-14 09:17 AM
    people get OBSESSED WITH LARGE SCREENS. Once they go big they can't go back. This is good news for BB because BILLIONS of Iphone 4S users will need to upgrade soon. If we could just catch 10% of them the comeback CONTINUES.
    They will upgrade to a larger iphone 6.

I went from GS3 to iphone 5S. The same way some people love big phones. Others tire of carrying around such bulky devices. There is no way I can go from this to something even bigger. I feel like my quality of life has improved by downgrading in size. It makes that much of a difference in how bulky the device feels and how less tiring the device is to use. A 5 inch device is a two-hander for me. I think it says a lot that the first BB10 devices were all smaller. I'm pretty sure BB did it because usability wise they make more sense (especially for one handed usage) and only went bigger because of a lot of people's obsession with the bigger devices.

4.5" is the biggest I can go, provided the bezels aren't huge...

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 02-24-14 at 09:42 AM.
    02-24-14 09:20 AM
    Owh.. you edited your previous post?
    As I recall, u mentioned about gif files..
    Instagram doesn't do gif files.
    And bbm channel does.
    And on Bbm itself we can set our profile picture with a gif file as well.
    And pixel wise is much larger than instagram.

THAT is waaaaayyyyy much better as I mentioned. And I'm not talking about UI or how instagram and bbm channel looks. But the files and functions. And oh yeah, as I mentioned, chatting with channel owner and fellow subscribers.

Different than instagram, right?

I never said it was the same, I said it borrowed heavily or was obviously influenced from that style of interface.

The bulk of the experience is basically getting updates and "liking" it and making comments.

There's certainly potential with channels, but as of right now - it's still not there yet, not to me.

And another thing - channels is SO BAD on the Q devices, it's a huge turn off to use when you can't even see a single posting in its entirety on the screen.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 09:29 AM
    You said,

Posted via CB10
    And

I never said it was the same, I said it borrowed heavily or was obviously influenced from that style of interface.

The bulk of the experience is basically getting updates and "liking" it and making comments.

There's certainly potential with channels, but as of right now - it's still not there yet, not to me.

And another thing - channels is SO BAD on the Q devices, it's a huge turn off to use when you can't even see a single posting in its entirety on the screen.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 09:48 AM
    Nice to read an honest review for once.

The iPhone is great for kiddie games but does pretty much everything else poorly. Even FaceTime and Photostream are kind of a joke compared to BBM, not to mention the numerous other options we have for sharing.

It's gotten to the point where I actually feel a bit of pity for those on the old school OSes. They don't know what they're missing. I sure didn't!

And by the way, Dad, BB10 just gets better as you learn to take full advantage of it.
    The Bold is laughably false.

The italics is ironic because while people are buying iPhones for FaceTime and iMessage, I don't know anyone who bought a Blackberry for BBM (or is installing it on their Android or iOS devices).

Any review that is favorable to the devices preferred here becomes a breath of fresh air, and the authors participation in this thread is a bit more telling that others would let on.

Also, why an iPhone 5? Not that it matters that much...

Lastly, what is your definition of an "Old School OS?" Blackberry finally got around to getting rid of OS7- and suddenly everything else is "old school." What exactly makes BB10 more "new school" than any other major player?

iOS, Android, WP, Bada, Tizen, Symbian, whatever users don't really need your pity.

I'm not going to comment on or compare/contrast services because I think that's a topic that deserves its own thread. The advantages Apple has in that area are huge and that is a big reason why Blackberry has issues pulling in new users around here. Once you get used to use cases around those services, you need an OS that can step up in those areas or users feel lost in the switch.

One of the things I hated about Android was the bloated share menus. That and Google+ encroachment was the reason why I switched to iOS. I didn't consider Blackberry because they lack in services and I can see them doing the same thing with BBM Channels. I don't want an OS with delayed updates, bloatware, forced social services and in app purchases in stock apps anymore (stickers coming soon, for sale, enjoy!).

Keep in mind... I don't use an iPhone because it's the best phone ever, has the greatest hardware ever, has the fastest processor ever, has the most borderline useless features (for me) ever. I use it because the ecosystem is great and the services are well integrated and don't require me to sign up for the types of services I've grown utterly exhausted with - nor do I need to sign up for multiple accounts on several services to fill in obvious gaps in the ecosystem on an Apple device.

You can sit here and call it a toy all day. You can tell me how much more productive you think you are. You can tell me how the device sucks for anything except kiddy games or how you pity me. You can try to say the services all suck compared to whatever "suite" of disconnected services & apps you use on BB10 to attempt - but fail - to get a similar user experience with. But, it will not change my (and many others') reasons for using this device over a Blackberry nor will it fix the issues with Blackberry's devices or ecosystem to get me to consider buying one at this time.

You're missing the forest through the trees, because you're only interested in bashing a phone (seriously) instead of trying to understand why BB isn't pushing the number of devices you wish they could. You're also completely ignoring the importance of ecosystem & services, and how much they can affect the overall user experience.

For a platform full of users that mock the iPhone for needing "Apps" for things, it sure does need a lot of them to provide features & services that are literally built into other platforms. You cannot even do email on a BB without signing up for a third party service, or Sync Photos, or Share Documents. You sign into an iPhone with an Apple ID, or a Google Device with a Google Account, or a Windows Phone with a Microsoft Account, and all of that is doable or provided out of the box.

How about someone do a comparative review on the software and service in the OSes. A lot of review focus too much on subjective points like what screen size they prefer or how great they think the screen looks. But there are other, less "in your face" aspects of the devices/ecosystems that make huge differences.
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 02-24-14 at 10:23 AM.
    02-24-14 10:08 AM
228 ... 45678 ...