Somebody should send this vid to BGR

They've been doing a few "when an iPhone guy switches to Android " reviews

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 10:10 AM
    What I dislike about such reviews that became so popular over the last couple of years is that they mainly deal with taking pictures, screen sizes etc.
    A real "real life" review for me would also cover topics like "how is the calendar" or "how is object sharing" or "how is sound quality on phone calls" etc., compared to the other phone.
    But everybody just focuses on photography, which gets kinda boring....yawn.
    Nothing personal, the make of the video is very likeable, and as a BB follower I like the outcome. But no substantial insight on why the Z30 is considered better than an iPhone was given, except battery, larger screen, a hub and a neat photo feature.
    And yes, the iPhone has more apps. Well,...
    Just Me likes this.
    02-19-14 10:53 AM
    I saw the video today! not bad but I felt like the video was not even for the average user, over simplified and didn't do the awsome Z30's hardware justice, glad he liked it though
    02-19-14 11:36 AM
    So essentially blackberry is better at everything but apple is good at apps selection. Sounds like a winner to me! Especially since now we got android app support. Also bbm cross platform video should be available soon, so I'm guessing if this stuff was available at the time of this review then this guy would have no reason not to ditch his iphone

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 11:47 AM
    Thanks for the comment. So, I read about Miracast, but it drives me crazy how we have all these standards, but none seem to work together. So, in my house - on various TVs we have the following hooked up - Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, Boxee Box and a Roku Player. As far as I could tell - none of those support Miracast?? Boxee supports AirPlay. Let me know if any of the above would allow me wireless watch what is on my Z30.

Do you have cool examples of how use the USB OTG in the real world to make your life easier or better? I need to learn more about this. Thanks.
    Dlna works with ps3, you have to add the ps3 ip address in the z30 to allow the ps3 to browse the z30 media. Also play on allows you to send media to the xbox, I don't remember adding any ip address for this

Posted via CB10
    Skyforever and DadDoes like this.
    02-19-14 11:51 AM
    Thanks for the comment. So, I read about Miracast, but it drives me crazy how we have all these standards, but none seem to work together. So, in my house - on various TVs we have the following hooked up - Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, Boxee Box and a Roku Player. As far as I could tell - none of those support Miracast?? Boxee supports AirPlay. Let me know if any of the above would allow me wireless watch what is on my Z30.

Do you have cool examples of how use the USB OTG in the real world to make your life easier or better? I need to learn more about this. Thanks.
    Cool example for OTG: was on vacation, have a 64gb micro SD in my z30, and have a Gopro hero 3 black edition with a 32gb micro SD card. While shooting video and taking pics I ran out of space on the Gopro, so I plugged it into the z30 with usb cable and an OTG adapter to move all the files to the phone and free up the Gopro, all without a computer, also I was then able to share pics to friends while on vacation.

Posted via CB10
    eldricho, wincyUt, Fatz_z and 1 others like this.
    02-19-14 11:57 AM
    Cool example for OTG: was on vacation, have a 64gb micro SD in my z30, and have a Gopro hero 3 black edition with a 32gb micro SD card. While shooting video and taking pics I ran out of space on the Gopro, so I plugged it into the z30 with usb cable and an OTG adapter to move all the files to the phone and free up the Gopro, all without a computer, also I was then able to share pics to friends while on vacation.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks - that is a cool real world example, will have to try it out.
    02-19-14 07:08 PM
    I don't want to setup an account on that silly site just to post about USB Host Mode (OTG). However, if someone wants to give him a good example of OTG in use, point him to post #10 on this thread: Killer features in BB10 vs iPhone?. Or you can cut and paste my post if you would like.
    "Silly site"??? I prefer "frivolous site" Checked out your Xmas photo frame story - got it now, good stuff.
    02-19-14 07:14 PM
    What I dislike about such reviews that became so popular over the last couple of years is that they mainly deal with taking pictures, screen sizes etc.
    A real "real life" review for me would also cover topics like "how is the calendar" or "how is object sharing" or "how is sound quality on phone calls" etc., compared to the other phone.
    But everybody just focuses on photography, which gets kinda boring....yawn.
    Nothing personal, the make of the video is very likeable, and as a BB follower I like the outcome. But no substantial insight on why the Z30 is considered better than an iPhone was given, except battery, larger screen, a hub and a neat photo feature.
    And yes, the iPhone has more apps. Well,...
    Hey - well said, and very fair criticism, if you just watch the video. However, we always do a video and written review (linked in the comments of the video). The video part is for showing visual stuff...like photos, screen size, video quality, etc. If you read the written review you will see I do call out the Pros of great sound quality and great messaging capabilities...among other pros.

In addition, I would argue that taking photos and looking at the screen (to the screen size issue) is a large part of what people do with their phone, which is why it is a focus of the review. Still a big thanks for taking the time to watch and providing helpful criticism, always trying to improve things.
    02-19-14 07:23 PM
    Dan welcome to CrackBerry and thanks for your contributions. And thanks to this post for reminding me I need to buy a usbotg adapter. I unfortunately won't have any miracast compatible devices for some time, but I will keep my eyes on the bargain bins.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 07:45 PM
    Sorry -Dad- cb app doesn't allow editing

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 07:46 PM
    Hey.. welcome to CrackBerry, Dan..
    And thanks for the great review. I'm a dad myself and I really appreciate how this Z30 really help in more ways than I can imagine managing business and family life at the same time.
    The hub and integrations with so many features really helps a lot.

Posted via Awesome Astro flying10.2.1.1925 on CB10. For a regular dose of Quotes, subscribe C001190A9 .
    DadDoes and zyben like this.
    02-19-14 08:11 PM
    Dan , why is still a mystery that we can load andriod apps ? I have loaded several from Amazon store no problem. HD calling. HD stereo sound. I think the iphone5 is something from 2009 compared to the Z30 imho
    Fatz_z likes this.
    02-19-14 08:15 PM
    Welcome, Dan! Your input, good and bad are well appreciated. I switched from android to bb10, so I'm happy to see the iPhone side of things as well. You will find trolls lurking to try to discount things you say and maybe try to get a rise out of you, but the true crackberry community appreciates your input and perspective. Thanks so much, looking forward to a 30 day review

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 08:23 PM
    Dan, welcome to Crackberry. Great review, definitely need more people to try the new BB10 OS to see what it can do. BlackBerry is no longer the "constantly clocking" or "takes 15 minutes to boot" device... it does things that iPhone and Android devices do, and more (some Android apps run with greater stability and speed on the 10.2.1. Android runtime). 10.2.1. also helps the app gap problem.

Since you're still using the Z30, have you had a chance to update the OS and run some Android apps?

Posted via CB10
    Fatz_z and zyben like this.
    02-19-14 08:25 PM
    Loved the video review. The z30 has so many positives about it and to me the biggest one is the battery life. It's just amazing!

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 08:58 PM
    Dan,

Connect a blue tooth mouse and keyboard to your phone and use miracast to stream to a TV or monitor and it's like having a desktop computer. And since it's all wireless you can have it in your pocket. How's that for getting things done? Best thing ever for having a small device and still being able to hammer out work quickly and efficiently.

Need Netflix etc? Load Snap on your phone. Crackberry has a great guide on how to do it.

http://crackberry.com/how-use-snap-b...roid-apk-files

Enjoy!

Posted via CB10
    Knightcrawler, wincyUt and zyben like this.
    02-19-14 09:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    you know, an easier solution to your problem would be just to swap the microSD cards
    SmileDahling likes this.
    02-19-14 09:16 PM
    Dad, can you do a review with the latest OS? Maybe side load snap too.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 09:21 PM
    Well first off, Dan from DadDoes, welcome to Crackberry.com and thanks for the video review you did. I watched it a few days ago and read the article... on my phone while at work. My first question to you would be are you on Verizon there? That could be part of why you only have 10.2 rather than 10.2.1 which the rest of the world is enjoying. There are fixes for that but if you are keeping your review to a "stock" experience that the average user will have when just buying the phone from the carrier, don't worry about it and wait for Verizon's eventual roll-out if 10.2.1.

Honestly, wasn't really surprised by the outcome of your experience, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about your experiences over a longer term with the Z30.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    zyben likes this.
    02-19-14 09:32 PM
    Great Z30 review DAD...Glad you ended it with the Google Apps coming to the platform via several play stores. You stressed the HUB , I could not live without BlackBerry Hub and how well the attachments and HUB attachments work and the efficiency of the native file manager. Storymmaker and Blackberry Express are great neat apps. Remember/ Evernote is great and how well BlackBerry 10 shares. This is what BlackBerry needs great sites and reviewers doing honest good reviews. Dad never seen or heard about your site ...man what a great site , will register and support !!!
    DadDoes and zyben like this.
    02-19-14 09:33 PM
    I agree with any of the threads here, blackberry needs a MAJOR marketing campaign, and since we blackberry faithfuls are so loud when we want to be, I mean attack the berry and we come out swinging, maybe we should figure out a way to get the campaign about bb10 out there and MR. Chen might take notice and run with it. It's going to take the whole blackberry community to bring blackberry back to its former glory. I'm sure we could make some movement, one step at a time. I believe in blackberry, there is nothing else for me, nothing comes close and I know many of the true blackberry faithfuls have the same passion we can make a difference

Posted via CB10
    zyben likes this.
    02-19-14 09:35 PM
    Dan,

Connect a blue tooth mouse and keyboard to your phone and use miracast to stream to a TV or monitor and it's like having a desktop computer. And since it's all wireless you can have it in your pocket. How's that for getting things done? Best thing ever for having a small device and still being able to hammer out work quickly and efficiently.
    Posted via CB10
    That is a very cool - need to try that. Could see using this when traveling - just carry phone, keyboard and mouse, Miracast Dongle. At hotel plug Miracast dongle into TV and have a computer in your pocket with a large screen TV. What Miracast device do you guys use? I see the Belkin mentioned a good deal. Thanks.
    02-19-14 10:08 PM
    Welcome Dan!
    02-19-14 10:08 PM
    Well first off, Dan from DadDoes, welcome to Crackberry.com and thanks for the video review you did. I watched it a few days ago and read the article... on my phone while at work. My first question to you would be are you on Verizon there? That could be part of why you only have 10.2 rather than 10.2.1 which the rest of the world is enjoying. There are fixes for that but if you are keeping your review to a "stock" experience that the average user will have when just buying the phone from the carrier, don't worry about it and wait for Verizon's eventual roll-out if 10.2.1.

Honestly, wasn't really surprised by the outcome of your experience, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about your experiences over a longer term with the Z30.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    Yep, I am stuck with Verizon in the USA, so only have 10.2.0. Yes, wanted to review the stock experience, that is why I have not loaded a leaked OS, want to do with the "average" phone user would do. I know people here are not average and you guys have no problem side loading, but I wanted the review to appeal to the more "average" phone user.
    wincyUt likes this.
    02-19-14 10:11 PM
228 1234 ...