I would love to hear what Dropbox has to do with any of this. It has nothing to do with, installing Android apps, HDMI, Miracast, FM Radio, USB OTG or Remote File Access.
    USB OTG, Remote File Access - just use Dropbox instead of these. No, you can't back up your whole hard drive (although actually, you could - just up your storage on Dropbox), but I'm sure that it's easier for most people to try to foresee what they might need and back up some of this than to carry around loads of plug ins. It just feels a bit old fashioned to do this with wires rather than the cloud, VPN, or something a bit more convenient.

Not hating, just saying.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    04-05-14 07:20 AM
    USB OTG, Remote File Access - just use Dropbox instead of these. No, you can't back up your whole hard drive (although actually, you could - just up your storage on Dropbox), but I'm sure that it's easier for most people to try to foresee what they might need and back up some of this than to carry around loads of plug ins. It just feels a bit old fashioned to do this with wires rather than the cloud, VPN, or something a bit more convenient.

Not hating, just saying.

I must be missing something. How can you upload a USB Flash drive or SD card to Dropbox without using an adapter or a computer of some sort?
    I realize that some of the newer cameras have WiFi capability and you could use wifi direct or maybe even bluetooth (both of which the Z30 has) to upload your pics to your phone and then to Dropbox.

Zed30
    04-05-14 08:06 AM
    I must be missing something. How can you upload a USB Flash drive or SD card to Dropbox without using an adapter or a computer of some sort?
    I realize that some of the newer cameras have WiFi capability and you could use wifi direct or maybe even bluetooth (both of which the Z30 has) to upload your pics to your phone and then to Dropbox.

Zed30
    You're absolutely right - if someone presented you with a USB stick, SD card etc you couldn't access it without a computer. But couldn't you just ask that someone to email you the file you needed instead? Perhaps this is me relating my use case, which is uncommon, but I (again personally) can think of no time when this would have been helpful to me, but you are right that Dropbox isn't a direct replacement in the example you give.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 08:37 AM

Not hating, just saying.

First off, how is Dropbox an advantage over Remote file access and second off how does remote file access remind you of having dongles and carrying around loads of plug ins? What wires do you need for remote file access? Do you even know what remote file access is?

Just out of curiosity, I have a 1TB hard drive in my work computer, how much would Dropbox charge me monthly for that amount of storage to back it up?

You're absolutely right - if someone presented you with a USB stick, SD card etc you couldn't access it without a computer. But couldn't you just ask that someone to email you the file you needed instead? Perhaps this is me relating my use case, which is uncommon, but I (again personally) can think of no time when this would have been helpful to me, but you are right that Dropbox isn't a direct replacement in the example you give.

Posted via CB10
    To your point about having someone just email you the file, have you heard of a little thing called file size restrictions on emails? I know recently I had to forward an email with 7 .pdf attachments of varying sizes and it wouldn't send. I had to send it as a bunch of separate emails. I'm constantly dealing with files on flash drives and having USB OTG is a great feature. Just because your use case doesn't call for it doesn't make it something from 7 years ago.

And more importantly, if you're out and about and someone has a file for you on a flash drive, are you really going to inconvenience them and demand that they email it to you? Chances are they don't have the file on their mobile device and would have to do it when they got back to the office. Very professional. Because that's essentially what you're suggesting.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 02:08 PM
    Am happy to concede that are are use cases where only a wired solution will do, but still feel that the majority of the population (probably inc the Dad audience) can do similar things in much easier ways these days.

By the way though, if someone was going to send me a file and I pulled out my phone and a USB hook up I think that would look look very slightly dodgy rather than professional. I'd feel much more comfortable personally using a tablet or laptop. I'll test that out in real life though, and actively think about whether I'd find it useful - would genuinely be interested to see.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by 3Dee; 04-05-14 at 03:23 PM.
    04-05-14 02:56 PM

Not hating, just saying.

Dropbox is a super neat feature, yet requires data traffic. At home won't be a problem (wifi) but on the road, it will consume your data plan and won't be reliable for large up/downloads.
    Take it (usb org) as a plus, something convenient that can help 100% of the time.

Also don't forget, as demoed by dad that you can access your computer's files OTA using Link.

Posted via CB10
    3Dee likes this.
    04-05-14 03:12 PM
    Dropbox is a super neat feature, yet requires data traffic. At home won't be a problem (wifi) but on the road, it will consume your data plan and won't be reliable for large up/downloads.
    Take it (usb org) as a plus, something convenient that can help 100% of the time.

Also don't forget, as demoed by dad that you can access your computer's files OTA using Link.

Posted via CB10
    You're absolutely right - a much better and more balanced way of approaching and explaining this. Good point re remote file access and OTA.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-05-14 03:17 PM
    Great stuff!

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-05-14 03:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    You're absolutely right - a much better and more balanced way of approaching and explaining this. Good point re remote file access and OTA.

Posted via CB10
    Accessing your files OTA via Link is remote file access.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-05-14 03:33 PM
    tfp : absolutely; just clarifying it a bit
    04-06-14 03:38 AM
    tfp : absolutely; just clarifying it a bit
    Wasn't directed at you, was just using your post as reference

Posted via CB10
    3Dee and Superfly_FR like this.
    04-06-14 07:42 AM
    I like when a misunderstanding is a double positive
    Cheers
    SF
    04-06-14 12:53 PM
    Am happy to concede that are are use cases where only a wired solution will do, but still feel that the majority of the population (probably inc the Dad audience) can do similar things in much easier ways these days....
    Posted via CB10
    Hey 3Dee,

It is a well known fact that Dads love wires - if we can find some super complicated way to do an easy task, we are all over it

Seriously, completely hear what you are saying, but my point in the video was just to show what is possible. As others have pointed out, plenty of other ways to get the image off my camera SD card. What I find refreshing about BB10 and the Z30, and this coming from an Apple user, is you have options if you want them. You want to do USB OTG? Go crazy. You never want to touch USB OTG and instead do Dropbox...cool. In the Apple world, you are told - THIS is the way to do things. You don't get a USB jack or HDMI jack. You don't get a SD card slot. You don't get USB OTG or built in remote file access. For many Apple users that is totally cool and they are happy with the Apple way...which often is very easy and well planned out.

My question - why not have options? You might not like carrying a cable and don't get USB drives on a regular basis - so don't use USB OTG. But it doesn't hurt to have it...and just wanted to show my mostly Apple based viewers that it was an option.

As a side note, there is absolutely one situation I deal with regularly which USB OTG would be great. I attend numerous trade shows, such as CES. Every company hands me a press kit on a USB drive. If I am at CES and trying to quickly post something, would be great to hook that USB to my phone, access the PR and photos and do a quick post. Short of carrying my laptop, don't know any other way to do that.

Thanks for your input, always trying to improve and really appreciate the feedback.

Go UConn!
    Last edited by DadDoes; 04-07-14 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Typo
    ibpluto, LuvULongTime, tfp and 4 others like this.
    04-06-14 07:44 PM
    Hey 3Dee,

It is a well known fact that Dads love wires - if we can find some super complicated way to do an easy task, we are all over it

Seriously, completely hear what you are saying, but my point in the video was just to show what is possible. As others have pointed out, plenty of other ways to get the image off my camera SD card. What I find refreshing about BB10 and the Z30, and this coming from an Apple user, is you have options if you want them. You want to do USB OTG? Go crazy. You never want to touch USB OTG and instead do Dropbox...cool. In the Apple world, you are told - THIS is the way to do things. You don't get a USB jack or HDMI jack. You don't get a SD card slot. You don't get USB OTG or built in remote file access. For many Apple users that is totally cool and they are happy with the Apple way...which often is very easy and well planned out.

My question - why not have options? You might not like carrying a cable and don't get USB drives on a regular basis - so don't use USB OTG. But it doesn't hurt to have it...and just wanted to show my mostly Apple based viewers that it was an option.

As a side note, there is absolutely one situation I deal with regularly which USB OTG would be great. I attend numerous trade shows, such as CES. Every company hands me a press kit on a USB drive. If I am at CES and trying to quickly post something, would be great to hook that USB to my phone, access the PR and photos and do a quick post. Short of carrying my laptop, don't know any other way to do that.

Thanks for your input, always trying to approve and really appreciate the feedback.

Go UConn!
    I use USB OTG with my 1tb Western Digital hard drive. It's filled with about 200 movies and a bunch of GoPro pictures and videos. I sometimes bring it out with me if I'm going to a friends or family's house and we hook it up to the TV with my phone using HDMI output or miracast. It's great for entertainment.

Do that with an iPhone

Zed30
    04-06-14 09:22 PM
    "Dad Does" re-review of Z30 + 10.2.1-subscribed.jpg

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 04:34 AM
    SMART MAN LIKE OPTIONS!!!

From a Z30
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-07-14 01:07 PM
    Hey 3Dee,

Thanks for your input, always trying to improve and really appreciate the feedback.

Go UConn!
    Hi there Dad Does - first off, fair play and total respect for replying to my comment - my first post in response to the review was a bit douchey (which bothered me in retrospect as I try to be balanced here on CB) and didn't merit a response, so thanks for posting one.

Thanks also for its content - I think I would have been fairer of me to watch the original review before commenting to see your full perspective and to see that as a more specific addition, which is what it was obviously meant to be.

Understand what you're saying about options, and the use case coming from Apple. I haven't come across your reviews beforehand but (impressed here) will definitely look for them in future. If you haven't had much of a chance to do so already I'd recommend playing with some of the flagship Androids - customisation galore and a great comparison with the best of the rest of the sector (in fact, I realised after posting being prompted to look into it that my HTC One (M7) which I've been carrying around for over a year has USG OTG!)

Thanks again

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 02:36 PM
    Hi there Dad Does - first off, fair play and total respect for replying to my comment - my first post in response to the review was a bit douchey (which bothered me in retrospect as I try to be balanced here on CB) and didn't merit a response, so thanks for posting one...
    Posted via CB10
    Hey,

Your comment didn't bother me at all. In fact, if carrying a lot of cables could make ME look like ME from 7 years ago - I would totally do it One of the weird things about doing video reviews is sometimes you look back at a review from a few years back and think "Holy crap, how did I get so old in just a few years."

HTC One sounds like a fun phone - must admit we have not done a ton with Android phones.

As a bit of a history of technology geek, I am fascinated on what the cell phone has become in the span of less than 10 years. Is what we carry in our pocket a phone, a tablet, a computer, a camera, a GPS, an ebook reader, a game machine or a TV? This is why it is impossible to have one "perfect" phone. To some people, they could care less about the phone and want the device to be a mini-computer. Others use it as a media device. And on and on.

Fun point for discussion - can anyone name another device in our history that has had as many varied uses and functions as the smartphone?

Best I got...a piece of paper.

If right now your phone would not allow you to make or receive calls - would it even matter that much? You could text, Skype, email, play Angry Birds instead of calling your spouse, etc.

On the other hand, if right now your phone did not allow you to access the Internet...well, this is just too unthinkable to even discuss.

To make an agonizingly long story just painfully long... my point is that reviewing a phone is a bit of a trap. There is no perfect phone, only the right phone for the right person. If I was talking to someone in person and they asked me what phone they should buy, I would ask them about 10 questions to figure out what features they needed...then make a recommendation. Since we can't do that online, we tend to show lots of different features and just let the audience absorb or connect to what is most important to them.

If all that fails...we just cut to a video of a cat yawning.
    04-07-14 06:46 PM
    BlackBerry Z30: A Hands-On Experience (Short Film) HD

Zed30
    04-08-14 04:22 PM
69 123