thank you for your review...
    04-01-14 07:24 AM
    Dan,

In your written review, you ask the question why not just buy an Android phone. The answer lies in areas like privacy and security and productivity that you kinda gloss over because they are more business functions. The HUB is a game changer for busy people and you did discuss it in the first review, but not much.

Take a look at my little slide show I made: http://www.sv-cs.com/SmartPhones/Which_Smart_Phone.ppsx
    Hey,

Just checked out your slide show...that is some impress work. I think you would get a little push back from Apple folks for saying the new iPhone looks like a Fisher Price toy For the record, I had a Fisher Price phone as a kid and loved it!

Question - you mention the Balloon popping game on Android that can upload your contacts. We all know about Angry Birds selling your location data. My question - if you play these Android games on your Z30 - can they still upload your data? It looks like you are saying they run in a sandbox and can not. If that is a true...that an insecure Android app becomes a secure Android app when played on the Z30..that is a big deal.

This all gets to my point that the biggest issue for BlackBerry is not the App Gap, but the Education Gap. People just don't understand what BB10 brings to the table. Myself and other tech reviewers would have to be included in that grouping. If interesting in hear me blab on about this issue, I discuss it in Post #17 on this thread - http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...addoes-919489/

Thanks!
    04-01-14 08:47 AM
    Hey,

Just checked out your slide show...that is some impress work. I think you would get a little push back from Apple folks for saying the new iPhone looks like a Fisher Price toy For the record, I had a Fisher Price phone as a kid and loved it!

Question - you mention the Balloon popping game on Android that can upload your contacts. We all know about Angry Birds selling your location data. My question - if you play these Android games on your Z30 - can they still upload your data? It looks like you are saying they run in a sandbox and can not. If that is a true...that an insecure Android app becomes a secure Android app when played on the Z30..that is a big deal.

This all gets to my point that the biggest issue for BlackBerry is not the App Gap, but the Education Gap. People just don't understand what BB10 brings to the table. Myself and other tech reviewers would have to be included in that grouping. If interesting in hear me blab on about this issue, I discuss it in Post #17 on this thread - http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...addoes-919489/

Thanks!
    No Android apps don't magically become secure when they are loaded on a BlackBerry using the direct APK method. You have to agree to give those apps access to everything they want, and that you understand the security issues of doing so. So if an app wants access to your contacts, files, network... and you say yes (which you have to do if you want to run said app) - they can still upload your data.

Now ported Android App that are installed from BlackBerry World do have to conform to the permissions that are user set... but again some permissions are needed for an apps to function, so it gets kinda tricky figuring out what to allow and what not to allow.

PS: GREAT Review! If BlackBerry had launched the Z30 with 10.2 and competitive pricing, they might have gotten off the ground.
    Superfly_FR and DadDoes like this.
    04-01-14 09:02 AM
    If I dare exaggerate a *little*, he sounded like a kid seeing the sea for the very first time.
    More seriously, I felt him well informed, sincere and trustable.
    Totally agree with you 100%!
    04-01-14 10:01 AM
    Great review Dad. I'm curious, do you use the Z30 more than your iPhone now or have you converted to the Z30 as your daily driver?

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 10:26 AM
    Hey Guys,

Thanks very much for all the kind words. Using the Z30 really has been eye opening for me...and since my cat sits on my head at 3am and wakes me up...not much is able to open my eyes these days Seriously, it is a cool phone, but you really do need to spend time with it to really get it.

If interested, I also did an updated written review to go with this video - BlackBerry Z30 Review Update, Who Knew .1 Was So Big? | Dad Does

I believe somewhere else I commented...the Z30 is like an onion, you keep peeling away layers and finding more features...but it doesn't make your cry
    You're evil. I was perfectly happy with my Z10 till I saw your video.

Please don't do this again, I'm short on cash.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-01-14 01:33 PM
    My Youtube video giving an example of how the Z30 sounds is surprisingly faithful. As long as you use a good playback system. Never-the-less, I get your point that if he tells you it sounds really good, that is only his opinion of what he hears.

#quixote
    Video aside, I must say your musical taste is great. Lol

DadDoes makes me miss my Z10 (I know it's not the Z30) which went to the drawer as I brought my iPhone back to life. Or Apple did after 7.1 anyway.
    04-02-14 01:15 AM
    Hey,

This all gets to my point that the biggest issue for BlackBerry is not the App Gap, but the Education Gap. People just don't understand what BB10 brings to the table. Myself and other tech reviewers would have to be included in that grouping.
    Thanks!
    The Fisher Price comment was something I read from an unhappy iPhone user that had upgraded to iOS 7. A lawyer client of mine who upgraded to iOS 7 told me he hates it and can't understand how Apple stays in business when they do that to customers. His attorney wife refuses to install the update and is staying with iOS 6.

I don't quite know how secure Android Apps are when running on BB10. I was under the impression that they have limited access to only what BlackBerry allows. I know for example that I downloaded a SMS Backup app from the Play Store and it did NOT backup SMS on my BB10 phone, yet worked fine on a clients Galaxy S3. A BB10 app called SMS Backup & Restore works just fine.

I show people how with Android you have NO Choice in what permissions you allow or not. A BlackBerry app can be selectively limited in permissions given, which shows in general how Android doesn't take security or privacy as seriously as BlackBerry.

As for what BB10 brings to the table otherwise, it's the whole flow and design of the OS, it just feels smoother and requires less effort to get around. That translates into a more enjoyable interaction with the phone on a day to day basis. Every time I pick up an iPhone for more than a minute, I want to smash it on the ground because of the stupid home button and having to go into Settings to change most app configurations. I despise the iOS keyboard and the "Do it one way" mentality throughout the whole thing.

With Android I just stare at it sometimes trying to remember what to do or search around in the settings for long frustrating periods of time trying to find a setting that I know I saw somewhere before. The visual clues seem to be missing in many places, along with the logic and consistency.

John
    04-02-14 06:04 AM
    Hey Dad, you hit BlackBerry's TW TL !

Attachment 260189
    source/courtesy of :
    Dad's reviews have the attention of BlackBerry :
    Is that a Z30...yes, yes it is.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-02-14 at 07:39 AM.
    diegonei likes this.
    04-02-14 07:20 AM
    I posted it to Facebook and fired the link off to about a dozen people. Others should do the same.

BB Proud
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-02-14 07:25 AM
    Hi, Some may find this question dumb. but After watching the review, can I hook my Q10 up with a Wireless keyboard and mouse with a TV just like what he did on his review?
    04-02-14 08:19 AM
    Nice work, DadDoes! It is nice to see someone approaching a BB10 device (or any device, for that matter) with an open mind. The tech world needs more reviewers like you.
    04-02-14 08:53 AM
    Probably the most annoying person to watch and listen to

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 02:25 PM
    Hey Guys,

Quick question - why does Snap need to be side loaded when the Amazon App Store can be loaded by simply visiting their site? Technical reason? Legal reason?

Thanks!
    04-02-14 03:14 PM
    I can think of a couple reasons, Snap is native, and is a better experience on BlackBerry. Secondly, there are a lot of apps in the Play Store, and therefore accessible through Snap, that are not available via the Amazon Apps Store.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 03:16 PM
    But legally, I believe there was another thread a while back in which an Amazon rep emailed a CB forum member saying it's perfectly fine to use their store on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 03:17 PM
    Hey Guys,

Thanks very much for all the kind words. Using the Z30 really has been eye opening for me...and since my cat sits on my head at 3am and wakes me up...not much is able to open my eyes these days Seriously, it is a cool phone, but you really do need to spend time with it to really get it.

If interested, I also did an updated written review to go with this video - BlackBerry Z30 Review Update, Who Knew .1 Was So Big? | Dad Does

I believe somewhere else I commented...the Z30 is like an onion, you keep peeling away layers and finding more features...but it doesn't make your cry
    B1aze and kevin. Blog post this review!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 11:33 PM
    Hey Guys,

Quick question - why does Snap need to be side loaded when the Amazon App Store can be loaded by simply visiting their site? Technical reason? Legal reason?

Thanks!
    This might sound stupid because it is. But since Snap is a. BAR file (bb10) type file you need to sideload. But if its an apk file (android) then you can download it directly.

Snap also will never make it to appworld so unless BlackBerry lets us download BAR files directly then it will always be this way

People are hoping for BlackBerry to get google services on their BlackBerry then we would most likely be able to have it in the app world. With googles permission of course

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 11:36 PM
    Hi, Some may find this question dumb. but After watching the review, can I hook my Q10 up with a Wireless keyboard and mouse with a TV just like what he did on his review?
    Yes you can via bluetooth. You will be able to do dlna, hdmi and miracast like in the video.

The other tthing you cant do is the usb drive thing. And unfortunately you will gey a square screen in the middle of your tv not full screen like tthe Z30 while plugged in using hdmi and miracast.

Hope this helps!

Posted via CB10
    takuma089 likes this.
    04-02-14 11:43 PM
    Thanks for the most excellent review Dan! One of the best phone reviews I have ever seen. You did the Z30 justice like no other.
    DadDoes likes this.
    04-04-14 10:20 PM
    I tried the Snapchat app from android through Snap and couldn't add text, just didn't have full functionality. Just side loaded the bb10 Snap2chat and it works much better.

Posted via Q10, awaitng a slider.
    04-04-14 11:07 PM
    Interesting review and all, but this reminded me of my tech and phone life from about 7 years ago with a never ending supply of dongles and wires - workaround city. Just get yourself a Dropbox account and save yourself time and money in at least 50% of the activities in the video.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    04-05-14 04:14 AM
    Great review! The best I have seen so far.

Posted Via CB10 for Z30
    Superfly_FR and DadDoes like this.
    04-05-14 04:38 AM
    Interesting review and all, but this reminded me of my tech and phone life from about 7 years ago with a never ending supply of dongles and wires - workaround city. Just get yourself a Dropbox account and save yourself time and money in at least 50% of the activities in the video.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    You must have watched a different video, because there is not one thing in this video that you can do with a Dropbox account. Dropbox is pre-installed and is a great feature to save an backup files to the cloud, but it's only 2gb. Maybe you think you can upload your whole PC hard drive to Dropbox?

I would love to hear what Dropbox has to do with any of this. It has nothing to do with, installing Android apps, HDMI, Miracast, FM Radio, USB OTG or Remote File Access.

Zed30
    04-05-14 06:02 AM
    I ordered a micro HDMI cable, USB OTG stick a week ago. Just need to get a Miracast adapter, and I will not need my laptop anymore when going for a presentation.

Really awesome and very functional phone.

Posted Via CB10 for Z30
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-05-14 06:06 AM
69 123