I've been using this thing for a month and I thought it would be helpful to newbies and people checking out the 30 to write out some impressions pro and con.

Screen - very good. But that's normal these days. I also have a Note 3 and Nokia Icon with similarly good or better screens. The Z30 screen is less saturated than the Nokia, but very sharp and easy on the eyes.

Battery life is excellent. The only phone I have right now that's better is the Note 3, but it's cheating with a monster battery. Note that the Verizon version has built-in Qi wireless charging. I am using Nokia wireless charging pads. They work great.

Sound is incredible. Speaker phone is very clear, but lacks a little in volume.

OS - BB10 is very capable, The Z30 hardware isn't that latest screaming chipset, but, like WP8, that's not necessary to good performance and may contribute to good battery life. Everything happens right now. Native BB10 apps open and run quickly. The device has the ability to run Android apps with limitations - for instance I've never been able to make OneNote, Navigon or Sygic Navigation run. But other things like the HP41 calculator emulation, MyChart and various games seem to run well. They do not start up as fast as the native BB apps, which is to be expected. I don't know if they are starting a virtual machine of some kind but that wouldn't surprise me. I don't know how to predict what will work and what won't yet. I understand that sometimes Android apps will use more battery which, if there is a virtual machine running to support Android, isn't surprising. That takes a lot more horsepower to do. Note that the Z30 has access to the Android app store through a third party program called Snap. You have to load that first, then it grabs the programs from it's own storefront and installs them for you. It's a little more involved ot set up, but works easily. You can also install the Amazon app store directly from Amazon using the browser and get appsl from there as well. There are other sources

BB10 features - I thought the hub was going to be a gimmick, but I find myself back there all the time. Note that with BB, the emphasis is on communication. The BB10 operating system is very focused, unlike Android or iOS devices which are more generalized. This makes for a device that just naturally lends itself to staying in touch. Other devices may be more game or entertainment platforms, and of course BB10 can do that too. But that's not its' goal in life. The interface is a little odd and changes depending on what it's doing. Unless you have something running, you are presented with a panel full of icons to launch programs. If something IS running, the first panel is taken by the running app, or the tiles of minimized apps. These tiles act like like tiles or widgets and can display live data such as weather or battery state.

The keyboard takes getting used to. You can either use it like a normal touch keypad or use the flick gesture to complete words. The device guesses at the word you are trying for based on a dictionary at first, but it does learn your normal writing style and soon the suggestions change to what you'd normally type. At times the suggestions can be way off in left field but mostly it works really well and if you do a lot of standardized responses, it learns those and you can hammer them out very, very quickly. So it's fairly smart and I now miss it when I use another device.

Physically the device is very comfortable. The back is nicely curved, missing all the angles and edges prevalent on most phones. The material is a grippy. carbon fiber weave that feels good and natural in the hand, making the phone easy to use for extended conversations. The whole thing seems to have been designed to use, rather than look at.

Apps - this is a weak spot. BB10 apps remain thin on the ground. There are enough apps for almost anything you want to do, for the most part. But if you are looking for specialized apps, you will probably not find them here. For instance I am an engineer and I need a couple different calculators. I ended up having to get them from the Google app store in Android. Which was OK, but it would have been better if they had been native. Some apps just plain don't work, as mentioned. The one that really hurt is the lack of OneNote which is where I keep all my notes and drawings. Hopefully since OneDrive was released for BB10, OneNote will follow. Point is, if there are specific apps you need for your job or whatever, see if you can find out if it exists in BB10 or if it will run from Android BEFORE you buy this thing.

Overall I am very happy with the Z30. It's become my go-to device despite some limitations. My phone isn't for me a toy or entertainment system. It's a tool for keeping in touch. The Z30 is the best phone available for that. Given BBs heritage as THE communications device that's not surprising. If that is what you are looking for, go for it. You won't be disappointed.
    zclash and m1kr0 like this.
    03-11-14 07:21 AM
    hi. got Z10 and Sygic ir running just fine!
    03-11-14 07:32 AM
    Sygic running fine on my Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2141

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 07:39 AM
    For me, both Sygic and Navigon complain they can't reach the Google store servers - probably to verify their licenses. Which is odd since I just downloaded them from there! Doesn't make a lot of sense. I thought maybe they just couldn't communicate, as apps probably running in a VM. But Netflix works just fine and it has to do the same thing. So I have no idea why I can't make them work. If you have some ideas to help, I'm all ears.
    03-11-14 08:02 AM