02-27-15 12:16 PM
45 12
tools
    Is this what you guys see in real life? I remember someone had both Z10 and Z30, and if we have more people with multiple Z or Q devices, can you do a comparison?

Comparison of Z30 Camera to Z10 and Q10, wash-out colors and grayish blacks-z30-camera.jpg
    ----
    Comparison of Z30 Camera to Z10 and Q10, wash-out colors and grayish blacks-z30-camera-2.jpg
    ----
    Comparison of Z30 Camera to Z10 and Q10, wash-out colors and grayish blacks-z30-camera-3.jpg

If this is true, Z30 camera is considerable worse than Q10 and still worse than Z10. Looks like Q10 has amazing sharpness and darkest blacks, while text is good enough to read, however text is almost disappeared in Z30.
    You can click on above pictures to see the full sizes. Z30 also blurs the lines in that circle test image as well.

To see full size images, check this link:
    Photo Compare Tool - GSMArena.com
    moody likes this.
    11-14-13 11:56 AM
    i hope its not as you say... I really enjoy the camera onmy Z10. though it does seem to have be spot on with focus. maybe the 30 is just the same way? i dont want to resort to a camera in one pocket and phone in the other again...
    11-14-13 12:00 PM
    i hope its not as you say... I really enjoy the camera onmy Z10. though it does seem to have be spot on with focus. maybe the 30 is just the same way? i dont want to resort to a camera in one pocket and phone in the other again...
    I don't know, but it is not looking that good when you compare against other devices. Z10 was OK but it had bad contrast/metering when you had light background. Like when I took pictures of a tree, the colors looked much better on my 9900 but it was low resolution. Z10 had problem balancing the light so it was either washout our very dark tree. So if Z30 is worse, that won't be fun.

Did you order yours? Keep us posted when you get yours please. This is disappointing, maybe it is software problem?
    11-14-13 01:39 PM
    I've done a little photography, and something I've learned is that all though it looked "washed" out to you, that doesn't mean that it's a worse camera...

in fact, it's the opposite... when an image is washed out, it means the camera captured the brightest brights and the darkest darks.. this is called dynamic range... the light levels in the specific scene fell within the range of the sensor..which is A good thing...

unfortunately, this isn't what the average person wants... most people would benefit from an "auto contrast" type of process... this would tighten up the light levels and give the blacks "deeper" blacks and keep the whites "brighter"
    saint613, moody, SDTRMG and 3 others like this.
    11-14-13 01:52 PM
    I've done a little photography, and something I've learned is that all though it looked "washed" out to you, that doesn't mean that it's a worse camera...

in fact, it's the opposite... when an image is washed out, it means the camera captured the brightest brights and the darkest darks.. this is called dynamic range... the light levels in the specific scene fell within the range of the sensor..which is A good thing...

unfortunately, this isn't what the average person wants... most people would benefit from an "auto contrast" type of process... this would tighten up the light levels and give the blacks "deeper" blacks and keep the whites "brighter"
    We can look pass the "grayish blacks" consider it "A good thing" but what about sharpness? Look at those lines disappear in front of your eyes with Z30. Unless you have astigmatism, that's not what I would like to see, no matter what it is, dynamic range, or anything, that is not what I am looking at, and it is obvious Z30 is trying to soften the picture to a point where it garbles fine details.
    moody likes this.
    11-14-13 02:26 PM
    This is surprising, I assumed the same lens is in all BB10 phones, and that the software processing is similar running 10.2
    11-14-13 02:33 PM
    This is surprising, I assumed the same lens is in all BB10 phones, and that the software processing is similar running 10.2
    Well I am running a higher level 10.2.1 right now... and have had nothing but better camera with each "update" so I don't see it being that.. sadly.
    And if I get a Z like I hope to I will keep posted.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 03:48 PM
    Come on man, what are we really comparing here? Tiny segments of test charts.

Test charts are test charts. It's the photos you get at the end that really matter. I'll try and do some real world comparisons with the Z10 and Z30 when I get my Z10 back from being a demonstration Queen.

Speaking of the comparison pictures though, the Z30 shots seem to have that tell-tale sign of "I forgot to clean the lens!"
    11-14-13 03:59 PM

Speaking of the comparison pictures though, the Z30 shots seem to have that tell-tale sign of "I forgot to clean the lens!"
    I hope that's the case but I doubt they will just forget to clean it since they run these tests all the time and surely when they see the difference they would have checked the lens.

You mean test chart is not a good representation of real world images? I think the lack of sharpness is a good measure you can see from these shots. I hope someone can do this test and share their results.

Sent from my LG-P870 using Tapatalk
    11-14-13 07:37 PM
    well, apparently comparing the photos i used to take using my Z10 and the Z30, i found that the Z30 could pick up the colour contrast a lot better than the Z10, particularly in the low light environment with less noise..

so i don't see the point of "washed out" here with the Z30 camera. i work in a furniture company and one of my jobs is to take photos of furnitures we are doing on sale and ever since i've switched to the Z30, my boss never complaints of my photo quality (she's a hard core iFan and she always praises her iSight camera..)
    11-14-13 08:34 PM
    I printed some 8x10 prints of a couple images in shot with the Z30. It was definitely acceptable quality for printing out that size and co-workers were actually rather stunned that I had taken those images with the Z30.

Let's not forget that we have the image editor at our fingertips to make quick little adjustments on things like this, including sharpness and contrast. I'm not saying not to care about clarity and such, but I am saying it's not the end of the world.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    11-14-13 09:53 PM
    Not completely related to the OP but I found that good pictures require either a good (funny) scene or appealing post processing. I also was crazy about megapixels and noise levels and today most of our photos are made with a phone with some editing. Ideally I would like the matrix to be 10 times more sensitive to the light to take good pictures with candle lights but even my canon dslr has troubles with that.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 10:19 PM
    I have to mention that I was looking at above comparison shots on a 24 ips monitor. Now I am looking at them on my phone and I can't notice the difference in sharpness or the garbled lines in those circle shapes. I suggest those who don't see a big difference look at them on a regular monitor, desktop or laptop screen.

11-14-13 10:21 PM
    It's difficult to make any claims about detail with these compressed images. Though it appears the Z30 is having issues.

I also can't tell for certain if the Z30 is actually getting a bit more dynamic range or not. If it is, it's no more than a half-stop.

I hope this test is flawed, or else the Z30 seems to be falling apart upon release. Not good.
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    11-14-13 11:04 PM
    It's difficult to make any claims about detail with these compressed images. Though it appears the Z30 is having issues.

I also can't tell for certain if the Z30 is actually getting a bit more dynamic range or not. If it is, it's no more than a half-stop.

I hope this test is flawed, or else the Z30 seems to be falling apart upon release. Not good.
    You can find the actual images on the link. Those are not comprised either, just full crop. You can see the full size image. When I saved the screenshot I kept it at 0 compression.

11-14-13 11:08 PM
    You can find the actual images on the link. Those are not comprised either, just full crop. You can see the full size image. When I saved the screenshot I kept it at 0 compression.
    Oh good, checking it out now...

I'm finding the Q10's images to be heavily sharpened, while the Z30's have no apparent sharpening. Edge enhancement. Check the halos around the black on white tests.

Here's a place on the card where the Z30 appears to actually have more detail:

Comparison of Z30 Camera to Z10 and Q10, wash-out colors and grayish blacks-img_00000319.png

Any thoughts? I feel as though something went wrong in the test. Focal plane not parallel with card. Or slight manufacturing defect that causes the focal plane problem. Overall, I find myself preferring the Z30's image (if the above image offers any truth).
    11-14-13 11:21 PM
    if it is true, then the problem is related to the hardware or software?
    11-15-13 03:21 AM
    I hardly Ever use the camera on my phone- mainly shots of dog,cat,chooks. Worried about that get. A 1020.

Enable forums
    11-15-13 03:47 AM
    We can look pass the "grayish blacks" consider it "A good thing" but what about sharpness? Look at those lines disappear in front of your eyes with Z30. Unless you have astigmatism, that's not what I would like to see, no matter what it is, dynamic range, or anything, that is not what I am looking at, and it is obvious Z30 is trying to soften the picture to a point where it garbles fine details.
    Lol low blow to people with astigmatism like me.
    But in all seriousness, I haven't noticed these big differences that GSM Arena shows. I should try to get some comparison shots later this weekend and post them up here.
    11-15-13 06:45 AM
    Maybe these pictures are screen shots after the picture is taken? That would explain it....
    11-15-13 07:25 AM
    Lol low blow to people with astigmatism like me.
    But in all seriousness, I haven't noticed these big differences that GSM Arena shows. I should try to get some comparison shots later this weekend and post them up here.
    I have astigmatism too.

11-15-13 08:35 AM
    I have astigmatism too.

Let's hear it up for us lot with astigmatism!

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 06:08 AM
    To be honest I thought it was just me, but my Z10 takes way better clearer photos than my Z30, to be honest this is the only complaint I have about my Z30 but a very valid one nonetheless. I'm wondering if it's a software issue?

Posted Via my Z-30
    moody and heading4tomorrow like this.
    11-17-13 08:17 AM
    Z30 camera not as good as the Z10 one? WTF? Kind of reminds me of the 9900 flagship phone having a crap camera as well.... I hope it is a software thing........ I would like that to be resolved before I take the $600 plunge....
    11-17-13 08:25 AM
    It is almost definitely software related as the Z30 has the same camera technology as the Z10, which has the same camera technology as the Q10.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    11-24-13 01:24 AM
45 12