OK...could use some help from veteran Z30 users....I have a new ShopBB Z30 arriving this weekend to try out. I know there is a return option in first 30 days if I am dissatisfied. I want to get it out of the box, power it up and work around on with WiFi to see its operation with browser, take some photos, play some music, etc...basic test ride before deciding. And I'm doing nothing with activating with ATT till I am sure.

I'm looking for comparison points with the Z10 I have now that is humming along without a problem. I've upgraded it to 10.3.0.738 and will head to 10.3.1.1154 if I keep it. I charge it nightly and have a backup battery so no big inconvenience for me on the battery usage. This Z10 is remarkable but I hear so much about the Z30 and the price was sure hard to miss. Yet even so, the price is a push with the household budget. So could you help me see what I am gaining with the added $300 (or $200 if I sell my Z10 on EBay to help cover the Z30 purchase cost)?

Size...I have larger hands so the larger screen/keyboard is really attractive to me.
    Clarity...I know I am going back to the Q10 type of screen and away from the super clear Z10 style.
    Fragile...I see all kinds of posts lately with dangers of glass breakage on the Z30. I use a screen protector and protective hardshell case on my Z10 and would on the Z30. I'm a desk worker and average guy who goes in and out of Panara and Dunkin Donuts, no construction worker or jogger running with my phone...but is the Z30 really that tender?
    Processor...Z30 is a bit faster, yes?
    Camera...basically the Z10 Q10 8 mp BB camera, yes?
    Speakers...sound is almost Playbook quality?

Am I missing anything? Don't want to pass on this great offer. I hear so much about this Z30 around on the CB forums here. But am in kind of a "if it aint broke, don't fix it" frame of mind. In the old days we could go into an ATT store and try out their phones but that ship surely has sailed...so appreciate any insights I might have missed from the CB community. Thanks all.
    11-11-14 05:14 PM
    I have both a Z10 and a Z3. I would never go back to my Z10 after using my Z30. It is that much better. You will be amazed! I have dropped mine several times, small drops from desk, out of my pocket, etc. I have just a plastic case on it and I have never had the screen break. In fact I have a tempered glass screen protector on it and IT has never broken....

The sound quality you will love. I carry tons of music on it and love it. Oh and FM radio!

Watch the NFL on it with my app...beautiful picture!

Camera is an average camera. Only thing I'd like to pump up. It takes great pics mind you, just i would always like a higher megapixel camera....

You are gonna be blown away. The size is perfect to hold and screen is easy to read. Nothing about it i don't LOVE.
    11-11-14 05:26 PM
    I have both in the house in operation. Only thing I'd say the Z10 has better is pixel density, but you really have to stare at them side by side. Colors are better on the Z30, speed is faster than you'd think, battery life is freaky good. Keep a case or ghost armor on it, and you're protected just fine. You'll love it!

10.3.1.1154? I need a link
    11-11-14 05:31 PM
    Size...I have larger hands so the larger screen/keyboard is really attractive to me.

It's big, but not Samsung big, so you should be ok no matter the size of yor hands. Keyboard is a lot better due to added size though.

Clarity...I know I am going back to the Q10 type of screen and away from the super clear Z10 style.

You mean you'll be saving your eyes from damage? Yes. Screen is clear enough, res is sharp enough. It's bright enough.

Fragile...I see all kinds of posts lately with dangers of glass breakage on the Z30. I use a screen protector and protective hardshell case on my Z10 and would on the Z30. I'm a desk worker and average guy who goes in and out of Panara and Dunkin Donuts, no construction worker or jogger running with my phone...but is the Z30 really that tender?

No. It's a BlackBerry. I don't know what people are doing with theirs but mine has survived a fair share of falls and still has no marks on the screen (body though is mared since I bought it 2nd hand and 'st owner was prone on destroing the device).

Processor...Z30 is a bit faster, yes?

You won't be able to tell. More processor power does not mean you'll see things go faster. But it does help when you need it.

Camera...basically the Z10 Q10 8 mp BB camera, yes?

Same.

Speakers...sound is almost Playbook quality?

Not sure, but better than the Z10's.
    Anytime.

Do consider that you get Miracast, USB OTG... Those are real handy features.
    BigBadWulf and jrsva2008 like this.
    11-11-14 05:31 PM
    Z10 is no comparison to the Z30. The only aspect the Z10 might have and I say "might" loosely, over the Z30 is it's form factor. The Z10 is an amazing one handed device and that 4.2" display is a sweet spot. But that's were it ends!

The Z30 is unequivocally better in all other aspects.

- Screen size. The 5" display is a joy to work L, type and watch anything on.
    - Super amoled display produces colors better IMO.
    - Unbelievable battery life. 2 days no problem with moderate use. Even with heavy use you're guaranteed a full working day.
    - Sound quality. The speakers on this phone are the best on any BlackBerry I've ever owned.
    - Fluidity. The OS and even some android apps run 1000 times better on the Z30.
    - FM Radio. Bonus!
    - USB OTG. Bonus!
    - Mirror cast. Bonus!

The list goes on and on. I still have my Z10 and I use it as a backup or to test leaks. But until BlackBerry makes something better, the Z30 is my daily driver.

And I've only had mine for about a month or so. Best purchase ever made!

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    11-11-14 05:48 PM
    Great stuff folks...just the kinds of things I needed....can't wait for the weekend....
    11-11-14 07:49 PM
    I have both a Z10 and a Z3. I would never go back to my Z10 after using my Z30. It is that much better. You will be amazed! I have dropped mine several times, small drops from desk, out of my pocket, etc. I have just a plastic case on it and I have never had the screen break. In fact I have a tempered glass screen protector on it and IT has never broken....

The sound quality you will love. I carry tons of music on it and love it. Oh and FM radio!

Watch the NFL on it with my app...beautiful picture!

Camera is an average camera. Only thing I'd like to pump up. It takes great pics mind you, just i would always like a higher megapixel camera....

You are gonna be blown away. The size is perfect to hold and screen is easy to read. Nothing about it i don't LOVE.
    How do you watch NFL?

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 11:08 PM
    I made the switch back in August to the Z30 after having my Z10 for a year and a half. Definitely a great upgrade and don't see any reason why you wouldn't love it. Screen is a little brighter on the Z10, but still great on the 30. Loved the backing on my black Z10, but loving the black Z30 back a little more now, feels nice in the hands.
    Better battery, bigger screen real estate, and the amazing speakers were the most important aspect for me.
    When I had my Z10 I thought it was the best phone I've ever owned, then I got a Z30. You'll love it!

Via The BlackBerry Z30 experience!
    11-12-14 01:21 AM
    I'm a wrecker driver and carry my Z30 naked. When I'm outside of the truck it's in my front jeans pocket. Inside the truck, sitting in the cupholder of a very rough-riding vehicle, usually sharing the spot with my Motorola Oasis bluetooth earpiece. Months later it still looks brand new. No issues.

My girlfriend on the other hand works in an office and has dropped hers about a million times, including shattering the screen thanks to poor edge protection from the leather flip case. We've changed cases on it since as I'm not wanting to pay for another screen!

We both moved from Z10's and trust me, we did enjoy the Z10's, but the Z30's are far better in so many regards. The ONLY and I mean ONLY thing I can say "bad" about the Z30 is that one-handing it is slightly tricky due to size. May not be an issue for you since you mentioned the big hands.

Richard
    David in Durham and jrsva2008 like this.
    11-12-14 09:34 AM
    I have just recently went from a Z10 to a Z30 and there is no comparison, the Z30 blows the Z10 out of the water!

Posted via CB10
    jrsva2008 likes this.
    11-12-14 11:35 AM
    I guess the z30 front camera isn't as good as my old z10... the z10 took stunning selfies...
    The ones with z30 are blurred... I was running 10.2.2.1531 on z10 and 10.2.1.3xxx on z30.

What may be wrong here since both of them use the same camera I suppose... and z30 is supposed to be more recent and latest!

Posted via CB10 and my awesome Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3442
    11-12-14 02:17 PM
    I guess the z30 front camera isn't as good as my old z10... the z10 took stunning selfies...
    The ones with z30 are blurred... I was running 10.2.2.1531 on z10 and 10.2.1.3xxx on z30.

What may be wrong here since both of them use the same camera I suppose... and z30 is supposed to be more recent and latest!

Posted via CB10 and my awesome Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3442
    Interesting.....because I've notice that as well. The front facing camera picture aren't as good and in running 10.3.0.1418.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    11-12-14 05:25 PM
    I just recently moved to the z30 from the z10 as well. You can use it on wifi with no problems right out of the box. I did the same before swapping from the old phone.

Once your done playing/updating etc on wifi if you have att and a phone with a micro sim card already, no need to call them at all, just swap in the sim card and SD card if you have one too. You should get at least 4g in most areas and in a few cities you will have lte as well. There's a list on the crackberry forums of the cities that get lte with no problems.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 07:53 PM
    Hmmm lets see, the Z30 won mobile madness 2014 and got a best consumer device out of 20 some countries for 2014. Yeah Id say it blows everything else away.
    Curtis Blair and mhg0157 like this.
    11-13-14 08:07 PM
    Hmmm lets see, the Z30 won mobile madness 2014 and got a best consumer device out of 20 some countries for 2014. Yeah Id say it blows everything else away.
    Wow, I didn't know about either of those things! I always keep links like that around for when someone tells me BlackBerry is crap, or dead, or makes archaic devices. I'll add these to the arsenal.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 10:46 PM