I had the opportunity to compare a family member's S4 to the Z30 today. We did a number of tests back and forth and looked at the screen under multiple windows. We had a variety of opinions on various tests and we were trying to get a view of the real world usability of each device.

1) Both were very fast in terms of operation, and there was no real appreciable difference in terms of switching between menus, reading documents, opening a page on the web. We tried logging on to CNN, and played the same news video under two different carriers. Absolutely no difference in playback or consistency as we had them going side by side.

2) Maneuvering was different. Once people got the hang of it, the consensus view was the Z30 edged out the S4 by virtue of the fact you could sweep to get where you wanted instead of using the home button and the icons were easy to understand. I think it was a matter of preference as there were still some who like the backstop of a home button. The icons were bigger on the S4 and it is organized differently.

3) We played some music videos and the Z30 clearly outperformed, but to be fair the S4 did not have a quality video. Everyone thought the Z30 sounded better.

4) We compared pictures taken on each device. Now, there were various pictures and various scenes. Quite frankly, sometimes they came out well others not so well so it was hard to pick a winner. Lighting, movement, time of day all seemed to have an impact. We should have taken a picture with each camera, but we were caught up in a number of other tests.

5) Display resolution and brightness. We tried everything here. Reading menus, icons, videos. We changed font size. On a first blush basis, there doesn't appear to be a difference between the two particularly when there is black background or colour background with white font. You really can't tell. Both were very legible and easy to read and when using a blue background like I do, which is similar to the one used by the S4, they really both looked good. The S4 header fonts are BIG. Easy to read. White backgrounds were different. And here is where it is noticeable. When we played a video and had them at full brightness, the S4 had a very white, almost bluish hue in the background when applicable. It was like having a TV with the brightness turned up - maybe a little too much. The Z30 when playing a video was more neutral and natural. We tried 3 different samples from the internet, each at the same time. A white background was a little whiter, a yellow background was a little more pronounced on the S4. When you look at at white screen background on the Z30 it is a little less bright, softer, almost with a touch of grey in it. No one thought it was a problem, just a little different and when watching videos everyone thought the Z30 was preferable. It's as almost as thought the Z30 was turned down a notch, maybe to save energy, maybe that's just the way it is.

6) Both are the same size, the Z30 a little heavier. It was hard to compare battery life, but notes between us tells me the Z30 is a very long lasting battery. All the basic apps were there between the two devices, as these are both business phones, so we had what we needed, along with the key sports app of course.
    11-17-13 04:56 PM
    Thanks for the comparison. I an very impressed by the z30. User reviews have been great so far.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 05:55 PM
    Thanks for the great review. Can't wait to get to a Verizon store and try out a Z30 for myself. Love my Z10, but i may have to gift myself a Z30 for the holidays :-D

Via my awesome Z10!
    11-17-13 06:22 PM
    A couple of additional points. When font or letters were contrasted against a black or dark backdrop, the whites in each of the S4 and Z30 looked the same. Maybe it was an optical illusion, but there was no appreciable difference between the two. The biggest difference seemed to be in using the device. The Z30 was a surprise and by brother caught on to it in a few seconds. He preferred it and was impressed at how fast the screens transitioned and how quickly you could move to, say Twitter, from your email. If you have the page open in your active tile squares, it is a very quick transition. The Z30's operating system (10.2xxx) is very clever and a lot of press doesn't give this its proper due. I tiled through the S4 and moved around and it is kind of like an iPhone but also has a long ladder type menu with icons when you move past the face menu. Both devices are good don't get me wrong, but the Z30 doesn't seem to get its due. You will find one post that criticizes the screen, one user who has problems, but that doesn't give you the best picture. When you have someone with a phone right beside you and you can test it for yourself, its the best measure of performance. The Z30 will not disappoint.
    11-17-13 07:32 PM