A message to people who don't need to have 4 core CPU in their BB phone,

You may not see the significant of having a 4 core CPU in your phone right now, but you'll realize its important after OS 10.2 is released and many apps run as headless apps in your phone.

When it happens, your phone performance will take a hit. I hope you don't ask me why BB allow headless apps to run when their phone's CPU is only dual core.
    07-18-13 12:29 PM

You may not see the significant of having a 4 core CPU in your phone right now, but you'll realize its important after OS 10.2 is released and many apps run as headless apps in your phone.

When it happens, your phone performance will take a hit. I hope you don't ask me why BB allow headless apps to run when their phone's CPU is only dual core.
    I would love to see a quad core, but you're not quite correct there. Ram will make the biggest difference with the headless apps. Also unless the OS is coded to properly take advantage of multithreading across 4 cores it would not make any difference.

Posted via CB10
    LWKING and Pete The Penguin like this.
    07-18-13 02:07 PM
    Can you run a Snapdragon 600 or 800 at 1.7 Mhz in a 5" device and have it not overheat?

The size of the display isn't the issue, the pixel resolution is.

Since the display in the Aristo is reputed to be actually even lower resolution than the Z10 display (1280x720 vs 1280x768), it should actually be easier to drive than the Z10 display is, from a processing/bandwidth standpoint. (Still may take more power than the Z10 just because it takes more juice to backlight and drive a larger display - all other variables remaining the same - than a smaller display.)
    07-18-13 02:29 PM
    Thanks for finding it.That could mean the new flagship (not the Aristo) was targeted for Christmas, but I thought I heard TH say later on that they would miss that deadline.
    Yup, six BlackBerry 10 devices to ship - though I think they're aiming for five now....
    Z10
    Z5 (not certain)
    Q10
    Q5
    A-series
    Sixth yet to be announced device (Q1 of 2014?)
    07-18-13 07:08 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the founder of copy and paste
    07-18-13 07:16 PM
    That's what I'm thinking, though it would do them a lot of good to release two high end devices this fall.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 07:16 PM

blackberry has used headless apps for a long time in their legacy devices and they weren't exactly slow. even now they use headless apps, just not third party apps, and the biggest one i can think of right now is the hub

BB10 devices have enough RAM to support headless apps, t hey just need to focus on compressing the hub a bit but besides that BB10 manages hardware usage very well
    07-18-13 08:49 PM
    Yup, six BlackBerry 10 devices to ship - though I think they're aiming for five now....
    Z10
    Z5 (not certain)
    Q10
    Q5
    A-series
    The models are here.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...-names-828586/

Z5 maybe from the cafe series and then King which, for now, looks boring, followed by a cheap curve.
    07-18-13 11:11 PM
    blackberry has used headless apps for a long time in their legacy devices and they weren't exactly slow. even now they use headless apps, just not third party apps, and the biggest one i can think of right now is the hub

BB10 devices have enough RAM to support headless apps, t hey just need to focus on compressing the hub a bit but besides that BB10 manages hardware usage very well

My understanding is that some of the key reasons why they didn't have support for background apps from the beginning in BB10 is due to concern over the resources that those processes would consume.

Part of defining the 10.2 SDK involves defining how to manage those, and I'd imagine that there is some sort of system watchdog that watches for CPU/memory hogs and terminates them if they get into questionable territory. (It just so happens that 10.2 is also going to ship with a task/process management tool, which is probably not a coincidence)

I'd also guess that they have various tests an app like that has to pass before they approve it in BlackBerry World as well.

Personally I think the biggest resource hog right now in BB10 is the Android subsystem. No other smartphone platform is running 2 completely different OS's side-by-side the way BB10 does. That in itself is probably the single biggest reason why a BB10 device requires more RAM by default than might otherwise be the case.
    grover5 likes this.
    07-19-13 03:30 AM
    The Moto-x is going to have a MSM8960DT SOC... and 802.11ac WiFi. See link:
    Exclusive Motorola X "Ghost" Photos Show The Phone, Benchmarks, And Pretty Much A Complete Set Of Confirmed Specs
    a Quote
    As you can see, the Moto X absolutely destroys the competition in graphics tests, which is very impressive (the purple line is what we're comparing here). The S4 is missing from the chart, but this site has tested it, and it still comes in lower (6660 points). This is most likely due to 720p vs 1080p, meaning the phone has fewer pixels to manipulate on the screen compared to 1080p.
    grover5 likes this.
    07-22-13 01:46 PM
    8960dt could be the commercial name of 8960ab or vice versa.
    People cite that SoC name simply because a hardware info app grabbed that variable from the device.

My PlayBook? Very useful in the shower as a radio and notepad
    07-22-13 01:56 PM
    The Moto-x is going to have a MSM8960DT SOC... and 802.11ac WiFi. See link:
    Exclusive Motorola X "Ghost" Photos Show The Phone, Benchmarks, And Pretty Much A Complete Set Of Confirmed Specs
    a Quote
    As you can see, the Moto X absolutely destroys the competition in graphics tests, which is very impressive (the purple line is what we're comparing here). The S4 is missing from the chart, but this site has tested it, and it still comes in lower (6660 points). This is most likely due to 720p vs 1080p, meaning the phone has fewer pixels to manipulate on the screen compared to 1080p.
    This is so great news (if the A10 is going to get the same chipset) that I'll possibly **** my pants.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 02:50 PM
    This is so great news (if the A10 is going to get the same chipset) that I'll possibly **** my pants.

Posted via CB10
    I think it would have the graphical power, to simulate that better. .

Posted via CB10 Khalistan Zindabad
    07-23-13 04:32 PM
    The models are here.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...-names-828586/

Z5 maybe from the cafe series and then King which, for now, looks boring, followed by a cheap curve.
    Maybe they were referencing "year" as "fiscal year", which would make to April 2014. Either that, or they include different versions of the same phone. Those two reasons, of course, is if they actually manage to get them out by this time, or if it is yet *another* delay. Not that anybody would like that.
    07-25-13 05:45 PM
    Get over the quad-core thing! iphones are dual! & Resolution is way worse than the rumored specs!
    performance matters not how many cores is there in the device!!!
    07-30-13 04:55 PM
    The SoC employed in the Z30 is actually the MSM8960DT. How do I know?
    1) it's the only current S4 Pro with a quad-core Adreno 320
    2) I've had it confirmed by Jeff Gadway in a recent BBM
    3) I emailed Qualcomm for MSM8960 data sheets to compare specs

The Z30 is identifying it's chip using the EV-DO revision; all MSM8960 SoC's have EV-DO rev. A/B (doesn't relate to the actual model number).
    Last edited by CJH_; 09-30-13 at 12:13 AM.
    09-29-13 01:43 PM
    You can send this to Jeff Gadway and Qualcomm and ask them for comments
    Chipsets BlackBerry is testing (Snapdragon 800 / S4 Pro) which one for the Z30?-z30_specs.jpg
    10-03-13 08:50 AM
117 ... 345