USB 3.0 would be nice, as well as OTG.

Especially when you have to move or sync those 899 MB image files created by the 329 megapixel camera.
    USB otg is supported in 10.2 (after the sdk goes gold I think) but depending on what bb10 phones have mini usb b (z10) and mini usb ab, they may or may not require a dock. The z10 apparently requires a dock

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 03:54 PM
    We've all seen the slide, the first A-series will have a year old chipset in typical BlackBerry fashion.
    The 8960 board must probably be used for both the 8960 and 8960T SoCs and that's why it was difficult to guess if the S4 Pro was really in the race. Now I know why there were GL drivers for both the Adreno 305 (Q5) and the Adreno 320 (X10) .
    Looking forward to the King or the Anisio, whichever gets the Snapdragon 800
    SUCKS!! Not interested in Aristo anymore. It's like having a huge, muscle car body with a toyota corolla engine because "it doesn't need that power". People buy that size to have a big screen, good speeds and immense batteries that should be removable!
    07-15-13 04:14 PM
    Based on Adam's blog post - using the same basic SoC as the Z10/Q10, along with the same RAM and storage specs doesn't make any sense to me at all.

I can understand their reticence about moving to a very different hardware design which might require different sorts of tricks and optimizations to make work well. And I realize that it would be an uphill battle to ask every app developer to add another resolution option to all their apps and get them all tested before BBRY is ready to roll out this new model.

But if they stuck with a Qualcomm SoC, I would imagine that Qualcomm makes it easy to migrate code designed for the previous generation to their the new generation, so I would have at least expected a Snapdragon 600, if not 800.

Just weird.
    07-16-13 04:10 AM
    Based on Adam's blog post - using the same basic SoC as the Z10/Q10, along with the same RAM and storage specs doesn't make any sense to me at all.

I can understand their reticence about moving to a very different hardware design which might require different sorts of tricks and optimizations to make work well. And I realize that it would be an uphill battle to ask every app developer to add another resolution option to all their apps and get them all tested before BBRY is ready to roll out this new model.

But if they stuck with a Qualcomm SoC, I would imagine that Qualcomm makes it easy to migrate code designed for the previous generation to their the new generation, so I would have at least expected a Snapdragon 600, if not 800.

Just weird.
    I hope they're all wrong and these are really old or shopped. After all, I can modify text on this easily.

Better be!

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 09:58 AM

Just weird.
    It makes sense if they planned on releasing a different form factor for people willing to upgrade from BBOS, but why so late? Why wait for 10.2 to release it (unless marketing suggested a relaunch of BB10)?

I have new information that Aristo and Anisio will both use the 8960AB SoC, which should be a 8960 with 2 Krait 300 cores (instead of just Krait). Since I've only seen Adreno drivers (SGX is for old devices), I guess the GPU is the A320 that comes with the 8960. I can't find any other monster, amazing quad-core GPU which would blow our mind away, but maybe I don't know what to look for.
    That means that it's akin to a dual-core Snapdragon 600. It could very well be that BB10 isn't ready for quad-core CPUs yet or simply that the extra cost is not worth it (except for gamers, if the OS can manage it).
    When it comes to price... well, the Galaxy S4 is now $600 and the Moto X is rumoured to be launching at $200, so this phone better outperform the GS4 is they hope to sell it as a premium

Based on what I've read on Snapdragon 800, it's quite a jump and it's also very recent, so given how busy they were with the launch, they may not have had time to test BB10 on it before Q2 this year, which is too late for a Q3 launch. The good news is that King will probably be based on that and that it's probably "only" 6 months away
    MisterMe11 likes this.
    07-16-13 10:59 AM
    The good news is that King will probably be based on that and that it's probably "only" 6 months away

Launching in January is one thing if you have a brand new platform that is behind schedule and you want to avoid competing with other new devices on your maiden voyage, but a continuous practice of waiting until then to roll out new devices is business suicide. You need to have new product during the holiday season for such mass market electronic devices, at least in this society, or you're giving up a huge amount of sales to your competition.

Speaking of product cycles and Samsung's questionable ethics:

Around San Francisco for a couple months prior to the GS4 introduction, they had a bunch of billboards trying to push the old product, with the slogan "The Next Big Thing is Already Here".

Bald attempt to keep selling product when people already knew something else was coming.

So what did they do when the GS4 started to ship? New ad campaign, new slogan - less than 30 days later: "The Next Big Thing is Here".

Rule #1: Never trust anything Samsung tells you.
    07-16-13 10:23 PM
    would any of this make the phone better?
    07-16-13 10:29 PM
    Y. E. S.
    07-16-13 10:39 PM
    OK, so the unreleased 8960AB chipset seems to be part of something called the "8064 V2 Prime" family.
    Their common denominator is a dual-core Krait 300 CPU and SoCs based on that configuration are usually placed in the Snapdragon 400 category, BUT most have the Adreno 305 GPU.

The following chipsets can be found in the family:
    • 8030AB
    • 8130/AA/AB
    • 8230AB
    • 8630AB
    • 8930AB
    • 8960AB

You can find them all listed here, except for the one which I believe is going to be used in the Aristo, which I think is going to get the Adreno 320 due to its number ending in 60.
    I'd also like to think of it as a 600 light instead of a 400 Pro
    BB Fightclub likes this.
    07-17-13 09:31 AM
    would any of this make the phone better?
    Noticeably better....

Could save battery life if the right processors are used and the OS has been optimized.

But a bigger processor and GPU aren't going to make much difference right now for the average user. Gamers might notice some performance increases in

For me it would be more about future proofing a device, which is something that BB has FAILED at in the past (have not seen them do it yet). If I wanted to keep my new phone for 2-3 years I want it to run the latest OS. But it is looking like the hardware isn't going to be the weak spot in upgrading devices.
    07-17-13 09:55 AM
    How many times have we heard "mobile computing device"? It's just a phone until you connect it with a large screen or TV. What's the best way to connect? Everyone else is going 802.11ac, Miracast, WiFi Direct..... Even the Snapdragon 200 series supports 802.11ac. The S4 Pro is only 802.11n - If I want to watch 1080P videos from my phone to the TV, I have to plug in an HDMI cable and sit 3 ft from TV while Apple, Sam, Sony, HTC1 are all wireless?????? C'mon BB!
    07-17-13 03:20 PM
    How many times have we heard "mobile computing device"? It's just a phone until you connect it with a large screen or TV. What's the best way to connect? Everyone else is going 802.11ac, Miracast, WiFi Direct..... Even the Snapdragon 200 series supports 802.11ac. The S4 Pro is only 802.11n - If I want to watch 1080P videos from my phone to the TV, I have to plug in an HDMI cable and sit 3 ft from TV while Apple, Sam, Sony, HTC1 are all wireless?????? C'mon BB!
    Miracast is in 10.2 and as far as Wifi is concerned, you may be right, but not because of the CPU, but because of the chip they use. There is a driver for a recent broadcom chip which provides 802.11ac, but I think it's for the next flagship.
    I've also found drivers for a 13MP Sony camera sensor , also probably for the next one.
    I think the camera is getting a pretty good upgrade, but that might leave current Z10 owners angry. I will create a new post for that.
    07-17-13 05:09 PM
    Didn't TH say that they would release 6 bb10 devices this year(i hope). If so then we could easily be looking at multiple processors for multiple devices. We will see but I'm sure they are working on a Z5 and obviously the Aristo. My hope is that the 6th is either a tablet or a z10 successor.

I personally think that the biggest thing here is faster life cycles. You can't go 18mo to 2 years between flag ships any more. We need to see high end hardware coming quick... low end to. In my opinion BlackBerry has nailed the software. 10.2 is shaping up great and the upgrades are coming fast (I'm not referring to carrier updates). But releasing new hardware keeps you in the news. Us tech junkies go omg omg a new build but most people don't notice. They just say hey my phone works better. But with hardware people would say omg BlackBerry released another phone?

To me this is the key to success right now. No dangling the carrot, just shoot the rabbit. Shoot all the rabbits!

On a personal note, I am going to need more RAM very soon BlackBerry. I'm okay for now on the leaks but once 10.2 goes full featured I'm going to end up freezing this beast regularly. It's a multitasking monster and so am I!

Posted via CB10
    BravoZuluDelta likes this.
    07-17-13 06:09 PM
    Didn't TH say that they would release 6 bb10 devices this year(i hope). If so then we could easily be looking at multiple processors for multiple devices. We will see but I'm sure they are working on a Z5 and obviously the Aristo. My hope is that the 6th is either a tablet or a z10 successor.

I personally think that the biggest thing here is faster life cycles. You can't go 18mo to 2 years between flag ships any more. We need to see high end hardware coming quick... low end to. In my opinion BlackBerry has nailed the software. 10.2 is shaping up great and the upgrades are coming fast (I'm not referring to carrier updates). But releasing new hardware keeps you in the news. Us tech junkies go omg omg a new build but most people don't notice. They just say hey my phone works better. But with hardware people would say omg BlackBerry released another phone?

To me this is the key to success right now. No dangling the carrot, just shoot the rabbit. Shoot all the rabbits!

On a personal note, I am going to need more RAM very soon BlackBerry. I'm okay for now on the leaks but once 10.2 goes full featured I'm going to end up freezing this beast regularly. It's a multitasking monster and so am I!

Posted via CB10

no he said 6 devices those are the Q10 Z10 Q5 BBOS7 device aristo and then one other we haven't heard of, maybe a QWERTY version of the aristo would be my guess
    07-17-13 06:32 PM
    no he said 6 devices those are the Q10 Z10 Q5 BBOS7 device aristo and then one other we haven't heard of, maybe a QWERTY version of the aristo would be my guess
    There was a lot of whispering about a Z5, so that wouldn't surprise me if that was the 6th. Some people still find the Z10 too big and it's very difficult to find a 3.5" inch phone these days.
    07-17-13 06:56 PM
    You guys mentioned King, who is it? I'm confuse

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 08:48 PM
    You guys mentioned King, who is it? I'm confuse

Posted via CB10
    The next device form the L series (Z10). It seems to be one of the next device in line and so new chipsets are probably for that device.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...-names-828586/
    07-17-13 08:52 PM
    There was a lot of whispering about a Z5, so that wouldn't surprise me if that was the 6th. Some people still find the Z10 too big and it's very difficult to find a 3.5" inch phone these days.
    Hmm I could swear it was 6 bb10 devices... I'm gonna go look!

Posted via CB10

Edit: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/09/r...ill-arrive-in/
    07-17-13 08:57 PM
    And they say people don't care about specs. This was so amazing to read all this stuff. Thanks for the lessons.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 09:43 PM
    Hmm I could swear it was 6 bb10 devices... I'm gonna go look!

Posted via CB10

Edit: RIM CMO says 'at least' six BlackBerry 10 devices will arrive in 2013
    Thanks for finding it.That could mean the new flagship (not the Aristo) was targeted for Christmas, but I thought I heard TH say later on that they would miss that deadline.
    07-18-13 08:06 AM
    Thanks for finding it.That could mean the new flagship (not the Aristo) was targeted for Christmas, but I thought I heard TH say later on that they would miss that deadline.
    Honestly and unfortunately I think you are right about the actual time table.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 08:37 AM
    from XDA forums:
    while waiting for the next kernel release... , i've been going around the /System/etc/ and i found 4 files:

thermald-8064.conf
    thermald-8930.conf
    thermald-8960.conf
    thermald-8960ab.conf

i think that the z uses the 8960 (ab is probably for the 600, note the 1.7 stock max clock ). Using cool tool (ovelay monitor) i checked the autothrottle in action by OC to 1.7 (2nd run of antutu, temp went to 65C+) as it dropped down the clock to 918, held it there until the the temp was below 63C then clocked up to 1.2. once demand ended clocked settled to idle 384mhz but the thing was, max clocks went back to stock 1.5 and not the set 1.7.

makes me wonder if the thermald in the kernel takes something out from one of the 4 files i've mentioned or Overheat control is really at work. Funny thing is, Overheat control was "run-able" with settings in older device ROMS but not in the Z.

It shows the 8960AB SOC as the 600 ....... but look at the thermal throttling. SOC might be clocked at 1.7 Mhz but once you use it hard, it heats up to 65�C and throttles down to 0.9 Mhz. Is this reality??? Can you run a Snapdragon 600 or 800 at 1.7 Mhz in a 5" device and have it not overheat?
    anon(2729369) likes this.
    07-18-13 09:01 AM
    I think he's mistaken, the Xperia uses the APQ8064 and also, he's making a guess as to what the 8960AB will actually be called
    07-18-13 10:14 AM
    He said they have something that they are proud of, but couldn't say more and that he wasn't sure if it would launch in late '13 or early '14
    So maybe internal deadline was Christmas launch (speculation), but they haven't made a comittment to customers. Of course, the sooner the better if they want to generate momentum!

anon(2729369) likes this.
    07-18-13 11:29 AM
    Wifi Direct is in 10.2. Not sure which devices are compatible though...
    07-18-13 12:22 PM
117 ... 2345