John Chen confirms commitment to BlackBerry 10, updates coming in 2016 | CrackBerry.com

This isn't Really News...

OBVIOUSLY they are "committed" to BlackBerry 10 in the SHORT term, 90% of BlackBerry users are still on BlackBerry 10 or older, including thousands of business clients and MILLIONS of $ in revenue! Of course they will be accommodating to it's customers that it no longer cares to build new devices for. Gotta do something until they get their "new" clientele.

Hey, I'm all for BlackBerry doing whatever it takes to make money, including ditching BB10 if it makes proper business sense, but it does NOT mean I'm happy about it! How can we just sit here and watch it dissappear?! Oh wait, but here's your $800 Android! * head shake

How are you feeling about NO new plans for BlackBerry 10? How many of us are going to STICK with BlackBerry no matter what OS it has? As a BlackBerry Z30 user, I'm still on the fence, just can't give up BB10, and Android is just so "Clunky". Isn't there a BlackBerry 10 PETITION somewhere?

What about you, are you moving elsewhere anytime soon?

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 03:54 PM
    Millions in revenues, but millions in quarterly losses - that's the problem.

I've added the Priv to my BlackBerry arsenal. It's become my primary device - outstanding.
    01-09-16 04:09 PM
    I'm a glass half full type, sometimes. In this case Chen didn't say 'ever', just no new BB10 devices this year. I'm really hoping, because I love my work Classic and my personal Z30 and I'm ok for another year, but after that I'm gone.

I've been a happy and satisfied BB user for many years but if android is the sole OS for them I'll be moving on, as well as my company. I don't personally care for android and my company is already making noise about moving to Windows if they don't see a light at the end of the tunnel. They've already replaced our PlayBooks with Toughpads last year .

Android isn't allowed on our networks and it will be a long, hard road to convince many security sensitive businesses that an android phone is secure, BlackBerry or not. Knox has not been convincing but if anyone can do it, BB can.

I've been a BB user because of the devices AND the OS, but the device on android won't cut it for me. I would actually consider a Priv or other BB device on Windows, but not android or iOS.

I'll give them a year.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    01-09-16 05:58 PM
    from the speach he just gave at the electronics convention in las vegas chen said, there will be no new bb 10 units for 2016, there will be a couple new bb androids coming in 2016 but he claimed to NOT kill off the bb 10 system and we could still see some new bb10 units after we get into 2017. so lets not give up hope berryers. i just got a chance yesterday to try for a period of time the priv display model in an AT&T store and i must say it was quick, great screen contrast, sharp vivid colors, and a camera that just stopped me in my footprint. the main con i have is the home screen, i currently use a z30 and i love everything about my phone, but im still very used to my z30 hub and it will take some time to master the priv hub like i do my z30. im still thinking on a priv in the next couple months and my wife who has a galaxy not 3 even likes the priv and she will swap over to a blackberry now, so im going to stick with chen and blackberry and just maybe we will see some new bb10 berries next year.
    01-09-16 08:55 PM
    Since we're all just "spinning" here, this is my take on it:

If I've said it once, I've said it multiple times, Mr. Chen was brought in to turn around the company, digging it out of the hole the previous CEOs put it in. He is a "turn-around" BUSINESS man. It doesn't matter whether, or how much, you belly-gripe about it and how much you hate Android, he is going to advise, and then do, the shareholders bidding.

C-Level executives face their employees and clients with the bad news. Shareholders drive the decisions and get to hide behind their CEO. THAT, is how it works in large organizations like BlackBerry.
    It's not personal.

Moving along, BB has built its reputation on security. And making good software - and to a degree, decent hardware. See the first sentence in this paragraph? By the time I entered the first three words, all I had to do afterwards was "flick" the other six! THAT'S frickin' good software! (I've never been able to do that, even using Swype, on any of my Android devices.)

They're going to make the best possible Android devices they can. I believe they'll port all the good BB10 stuff they can: The Hub, security, etc. Their Android WILL NOT be Google's Android. BUT, you'll be able to run all the Google goodness your heart desires. And make no mistake, your heart desires it, because save for a handful of diehards, most modern day BB users are deeply dissatisfied with the dearth of BB apps and deeply interested in sideloading. (Not me though. I'm writing this comment on my Z30. My daily driver is an Android, which is just busting with apps. Why haven't I sideloaded? I'll have no control over these Android apps permissions; none! My Android device OTH, is rooted and I've installed one major app that gives granular, nay, anal control of permissions. No camera and location permissions for you!)

As a sidebar, it'll be interesting to see if anyone will be able to root BB Android devices.

So, relax. Breathe. Changes they are a-coming. Accept them. Evolve.

Posted via CB10
    kbrant64 and Johnny Dollar like this.
    01-09-16 09:57 PM
    My BB10 devices are running fine so I am with them for the time being. I enjoy BB10 a lot and have no reason to leave right now. I am even thinking about getting the Classic. I think the upcoming updates will keep current BB10 devices viable for a while longer.

As for BlackBerry Android that I am not so sure about. It will depend on the devices they put out. I am not into the Priv but the Vienna looks promising. If they have a form factor out that I like when BB10 is no longer functional then I would consider switching.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 02:01 AM
    Isn't this thread miscategorized? It's not related to the Z30, it's related to BB10 OS.
    01-10-16 12:03 PM
    Going to Samsung in February.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 12:35 PM
    I've not yet figured out what a BlackBerry android is like as compared to any other android. Phys keybd perhaps, but beyond that, I'm not sure. Haven't yet seen a Priv in real life. So I'll stay with my Classic as long as I can...if going to be android in the future anyway, I'd rather stay with this final true BlackBerry. Next tho? Will it matter...android is android is android. What am I missing Priv users?

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 12:43 PM
    Will wait and see. JC most likely is not telling the whole story. Like when he said he will release Z3 for $199. It turned that price was only for the first few thousands unit launched in Indonesia.

Posted via my Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    01-10-16 01:45 PM
    No reason to change. I'm committed to BlackBerry 10 for now but less so than 6 months ago. If support for BlackBerry 10 apps continues to drop and/or my Z30 dies I will probably move to Android and probably a Priv. I'm very partial to BlackBerry productivity and if the focus is on Android by BlackBerry then so be it.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    kbrant64 likes this.
    01-10-16 02:37 PM
    I've not yet figured out what a BlackBerry android is like as compared to any other android. Phys keybd perhaps, but beyond that, I'm not sure. Haven't yet seen a Priv in real life. So I'll stay with my Classic as long as I can...if going to be android in the future anyway, I'd rather stay with this final true BlackBerry. Next tho? Will it matter...android is android is android. What am I missing Priv users?
    Let me answer you with a question; I know, it's bad form. Here goes: What's the difference between iOS, Android and Ubuntu? Or rather, I should ask what do they have in common? Well, they're all based on Unix.
    No doubt, and I can only hope, BB will put their own spin on Android's Unix making it uniquely a BlackBerry/Android OS.

I have fondled a Priv and don't like it for the same reason I don't like the Samsung Edge: Its sloping sides. BUT, like with any design feature on anything, it may come to be something I appreciate.
    AND, if I had to make a choice between the Priv and Edge, I'd definitely go with the former! (Even though I loathe physical keyboards! But that too can change.)

Posted via CB10
    James Garrison likes this.
    01-10-16 09:03 PM
    The CEO is having less and less credibility, I guess, with all these miscommunication and bad PR job

Passport SE
    01-10-16 09:49 PM
    I'm still happy with my OG passport, when it's time to move on, I'll consider BlackBerry first but I won't rule the others out.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-16 08:57 AM
    The BB10 is not dead!
    01-11-16 09:38 AM
    Wouldn't it be awesome to get some upgrade on the Z10 or Z30. i think they are still missing a huge market of people like me who don't necessarily like the physical keyboard and just are hoping for a smoother and more app friendly experience on their touch BB. I think the Priv is a beautiful device but I just bought my Z30 last year for nearly $400 after dropping my Limited Edition Z10 (favourite phone I have EVER owned!) in the shallow waters of the Pacific. Retrieved but not salvaged . Never been a fan of Android OS. Luckily, BB kept many of the familiar gestures and text input features that I adore BB for. Tough times for BB devotees.
    Adam Kowalczyk1 likes this.
    01-11-16 12:12 PM
    Wouldn't it be awesome to get some upgrade on the Z10 or Z30. i think they are still missing a huge market of people like me who don't necessarily like the physical keyboard and just are hoping for a smoother and more app friendly experience on their touch BB.
    Define "huge". They need to sell 10 million BB10 units per year to warrant its continuation. They are on track for about a fifth of that, and dropping.
    01-11-16 12:26 PM
    Define "huge". They need to sell 10 million BB10 units per year to warrant its continuation. They are on track for about a fifth of that, and dropping.
    10 million? If not mistaken, I remember Mt. Chen say 5 million units a year to be profitable.

Anyways, since full touch screens are by far waaaay more popular then a phone with a pkb i'm surprised BlackBerry didnt have one in their line up ( yes they had the leap, but it's a low end phone and the out of date z30 has been discontinued) before the stopped making bb10 phones.
    I mean if you don't have the most popular form factor for mobile phones how can you expect to sell 5 million a year.
    Let's set the record straight, the Priv is NOT a full touch phone, to mr.snd many people like me it's a turn off and not an alternative phone to replace a full touch screen.

Bottom line is, No Full Touch screen phone = no 5 million units sold! The proof is in the pudding and the numbers don't lie. And there's no guarantee that a full touch screen would of got them that 5 million number, but out it they obviously didn't have a chance.

Sent from my battered and bruised but still kicking (just barely) Z30.
    01-12-16 08:18 AM
    10 million? If not mistaken, I remember Mt. Chen say 5 million units a year to be profitable.
    5 million is AFTER switching to Android and not having to develop their own OS. It seems that they feel this number can be reduced even further.

10 million is breakeven for BB10. Chen and Company stated this many times. For comparison, there are actually fewer than 10 million active BB10 users in total, btw (somewhere between 5 and 8 million).
    01-12-16 08:31 AM
    5 million is AFTER switching to Android and not having to develop their own OS. It seems that they feel this number can be reduced even further.

10 million is breakeven for BB10. Chen and Company stated this many times. For comparison, there are actually fewer than 10 million active BB10 users in total, btw (somewhere between 5 and 8 million).
    I certainly don't doubt what your saying at all. But still, there was no way they were even going to come close to that 10 Million without a high end All Touch phone.

I mean, just look around, the form factor that the majority of people are using with any brand is an all touch phone. And to just make a low end all touch (leap) and not a high end one was a
    failure.

But like I said before, can't say for sure if they did have the high end one it would of saved them but not having one...well we all know what happened.

01-12-16 09:22 AM
    I certainly don't doubt what your saying at all. But still, there was no way they were even going to come close to that 10 Million without a high end All Touch phone.

I mean, just look around, the form factor that the majority of people are using with any brand is an all touch phone. And to just make a low end all touch (leap) and not a high end one was a
    failure.

But like I said before, can't say for sure if they did have the high end one it would of saved them but not having one...well we all know what happened.

The device variant wasn't the issue. BlackBerry could sell a BB10 device that prints money and they wouldn't reach 10 million.

No MS Office, no Good, no Airwatch, no Citrix, no Netflix, no Uber, no Instagram, no Snapchat, no Candy Crush, no dice.

To sell 10 million devices a year, you need a user base of between 20 and 30 million.
    Last edited by conite; 01-12-16 at 09:58 AM.
    01-12-16 09:30 AM
    The device variant wasn't the issue. BlackBerry could sell a BB10 device that prints money and they wouldn't reach 10 million.

No MS Office, no Good, no Airwatch, no Citrix, no Netflix, no Uber, no Instagram, no Snapchat, no Candy Crush, no dice.
    I don't believe they need those apps to sell 10 million units. The fact that they can sell 2 million with the passport the only semi new device while also being a niche device is amazing. There is nothing attractive at all in their current device listing. I have several friends who want to upgrade their Z10s but with no all touch devices worth buying they are stuck. Sure the Z30 is nice but it is very old and has its shortcomings on the hardware side. At least an all touch device with passport internals would do if priced accordingly.
    citrix (now being dumped), instagram, Netflix, Uber and somewhat office have alternatives on BB10. I don't know what Good is and candycrush games were facebook games and worked fine in the browser (I don't know about now).
    01-12-16 10:02 AM
    I don't believe they need those apps to sell 10 million units. The fact that they can sell 2 million with the passport the only semi new device while also being a niche device is amazing. There is nothing attractive at all in their current device listing. I have several friends who want to upgrade their Z10s but with no all touch devices worth buying they are stuck. Sure the Z30 is nice but it is very old and has its shortcomings on the hardware side. At least an all touch device with passport internals would do if priced accordingly.
    citrix (now being dumped), instagram, Netflix, Uber and somewhat office have alternatives on BB10. I don't know what Good is and candycrush games were facebook games and worked fine in the browser (I don't know about now).
    You still need a user base of 20-30 million people to support sales of 10 million a year.

While I appreciate there are those who are very satisfied with a messaging-centric device with limited business and consumer apps, I just think this number is way out of reach.
    01-12-16 10:20 AM
    You still need a user base of 20-30 million people to support sales of 10 million a year.

While I appreciate there are those who are very satisfied with a messaging-centric device with limited business and consumer apps, I just think this number is way out of reach.
    I believe the current user base is over 20 million. But lost customers are not all now loyal android / iOS users. I would wager many are only migrating to another platform out of necessity and would buy Blackberry again if they offered sensible hardware again. First they would have to know it existed though and Blackberry seems incapable of advertisement.
    vanrickman likes this.
    01-12-16 10:30 AM
    I believe the current user base is over 20 million. But lost customers are not all now loyal android / iOS users. I would wager many are only migrating to another platform out of necessity and would buy Blackberry again if they offered sensible hardware again. First they would have to know it existed though and Blackberry seems incapable of advertisement.
    The 20 million current user base includes at least half that are still on BBOS.

It is even harder to bring people back though, because this is also not the same BB10 as it once was. The ecosystem has been further deprecated with an aging Android Runtime (which can't be updated), and the continued lack of native app updates.

Honestly I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I just see no way out for BB10. BlackBerry seems to agree.
    Last edited by conite; 01-12-16 at 11:29 AM.
    01-12-16 10:49 AM
33 12