I was wondering what is optimum battery charging strategy for the Z30.
    Basically my daily battery drain ranges between 20% And 50%.
    Is it better to charge the battery daily, regardless of battery drain? Or is it better to wait until battery life is around 20%
    By better I mean optimization of battery life.
    I would be interested in your comments.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 04:59 PM
    My practice has always been to top off whenever possible. I believe a deep recharge is always a good thing. Lots of information here: Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University
    12-04-14 05:08 PM
    I always charge my phone when I have the opportunity. Seldomly let the battery lower than 50%.

Flying full colours with my ? Z30
    12-04-14 09:23 PM
    I let my devices go to 10% then up to 90%. The rationale is very difficult to explain, but as an example I like to use is when I had my Chevrolet Volt. The range listed was 40-50 miles on electric then it would switch to gas seamlessly. Miss how quiet and luxurious that vehicle seemed for the price.

Back on topic; the Volt uses the same lithium ion battery technology, but rather than allowing the vehicle to drain to 0% and up to 100% (which would give the vehicle 40% more electric miles - extremely significant), the engineers from GM stated that in order to warranty the battery pack for 10 years the battery shows as 0% when it is actually at 20% and shows in the vehicle as 100% charged when in reality the battery is only charged to 80%. Basically when I saw 0% in the vehicle and the ICE switched on there was still a 20% charge remaining.

So ideally for extended battery life the engineers at GM made the decision to cut the electric miles in half if the battery was used from 0 to 100, and decided that for optimal battery life the lowest you should go is 20% and the highest 80%. For a cell phone, I simply follow a 10% to 90% charge as it is a smaller compromise (used to do 15%-85%).

After the same amount of use on my old Verizon Z10 following this versus my mother who simply plugs the Z10 in at night with whatever is left and unplugs in the morning, my Z10 across multiple apps showed similar cycles but with battery health at or above 95%. My mother's phone, which I hope to replace with a Passport soon, showed the battery health in the 80-85% range with the same apps.

The Z10 is not much of a big deal as the battery is replaceable, but with the Z30 or Passport I would follow something similar to what the GM engineers and my own experience show if you want to extend the health of the battery as long as possible. I'm unsure if the 20/80 still applies to the Volt as I leased on launch, but I would trust engineers that need the lithium ion battery pack to last for 10 years over much else. My own comparison validated this as well.

I am no engineer, just giving my advice on what has worked best. As I wrote I went from 15%-85% to now 10%-90% for all of my devices with a charge to 100% every now and then or if I happen to lose track of time and not check the device. 15/85 was likely better, but 10/90 makes sense when comparing a vehicle that needs to be warrantied for 10 years to a smartphone that will be completely obsolete in that time frame.

Posted via CB10
    geomun likes this.
    12-04-14 10:13 PM
    I was wondering what is optimum battery charging strategy for the Z30.
    Basically my daily battery drain ranges between 20% And 50%.
    Is it better to charge the battery daily, regardless of battery drain? Or is it better to wait until battery life is around 20%
    By better I mean optimization of battery life.
    I would be interested in your comments.

Posted via CB10
    My strategy for all smartphones I have:

- To charge it once it reach 10% to 20%
    - Switch off the phone at 5% when I can't find any way to charge it. On Z30 there are a number of posts in CB about dead Z30 when the owner let it drain to 0%.
    - Avoid car charger if possible
    - Charge to 100%, do not leave it plugged overnight.

Posted via CB10 - Z30 - 10.3.1.1154
    12-04-14 10:32 PM
    The best experience I have is when I start charging at >20% to about <85. Then my battery is the killer whatever I do. It will last at least 18 hours until it touches the 20% again. I barely see this phone under 20%.

The worst battery life I have is when I let it drain completely until it shuts down and then completely recharge to 100%. Then the phone shows the 20% after only 9 hours of usage.

Conclusion: I keep it between 20% and 85%. Then I have the best battery life.
    Disclaimer: MY observations with a Z30, which is now 6 months old.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 09:40 AM