Will a daily overnight charging will have any impact on my battery health

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 09:28 PM
    No it's the best thing to do.
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    08-20-15 09:33 PM
    I plug mine in every night, then press the power button and drag down the the little moon for my cheeky bedside clock.
    08-20-15 10:07 PM
    Mine goes on a wireless Qi charging stand each night. The Verizon Z30 is the only one with that feature.
    vanrickman and DaFoxGrey like this.
    08-20-15 11:19 PM
    Wireless charging feature is interesting. But it should not be carrier specific. Can you share the specs...is it available in India

Posted via CB10
    tekware likes this.
    08-21-15 11:57 AM
    I've been charging my phone overnight for about 2 years now and the battery is still going strong.
    I agree that wireless charging should not be carrier dependent ; is it somehow technically related to that cdma thing...?

Z30, STA100-2 /10.3.1.2576
    08-21-15 12:19 PM
    I understand that it is only available for verizon. But just go through you tube videos, where they show that z30 charging on samsung s5 wireless charger.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 01:01 PM
    Wireless charging is a verizon exclusive from a deal they made with BlackBerry. It's no different from AT&T and their rounded Passport. You're right, it *shouldn't* be, but it is. Just like how I *should't* be poor, but I am lol.

And I charge my phone every night whether I need to or not. No issues as of yet.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 01:06 PM
    But it is the hardware thing and I assume that all BlackBerry z30 phones are same? Only if the Verizon is CDMA?

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 01:10 PM
    No big deal though : charging overnight with cable while sleeping is in no way bothering, and battery is amazing so no need for day charge even with heavy use
    Plus glad having that unlocked gsm Z30... Guess wireless charging is a nice extra feature for us tek aficionados.

08-21-15 01:22 PM
    If you don't charge it at night you won't have the clock face illuminated in bedside mode. Gotta check the time when I wake for a pee.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.1.2582 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    Carmels likes this.
    08-21-15 04:15 PM
    But it is the hardware thing and I assume that all BlackBerry z30 phones are same? Only if the Verizon is CDMA?

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, apparently there's an extra component in the motherboard or something, at least so i've read. So it isn't a simple swap of the back cover, you would need to take the phone apart and solder something in.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 04:34 PM
    Yeah, apparently there's an extra component in the motherboard or something, at least so i've read. So it isn't a simple swap of the back cover, you would need to take the phone apart and solder something in.

Posted via CB10
    The wireless charging QI antenna is a hardware feature of the STA100-3 Verizon branded Z30.
    Verizon is also a CDMA network, so any device on their network needs to also have CDMA hardware.
    As such, the STA10-3 model Z30 is different, physically, from the other Z30 models, in addition to the different hardware.
    This is to allow the extra space need for the QI parts. This is also why a Verizon Z30 won't fit in most Z30 flip cases, as it is slightly thicker and the rear cover attaches are different points than other Z30's.
    As some of the internals needed for the QI system are also part of the main board, one can't swap out parts to make a non-STA100-3 a QI Z30. Changing the MB to another Z30 makes that device the source MB device.

That said, there are a few "clunkier" options to add wireless charging to a Z30:
    • External QI antennas that plug into the USB port that lay out like a dongle.
    • Boxy type cases that have an external battery pack that also has a QI antenna, that connect to the USB port.
    • Hacking the rear cover to allow a "universal" QI antenna pad to be stuffed in, then a strap to the USB port.

All of these, however, require the USB port to be used.

You can see the STA100-3 QI antenna in my post here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post11756441
    08-22-15 07:47 AM
    One of the things I do is remove the charging as soon as it becomes 100%. Should I charge my phone for entire night so the phone discharge time also increases?

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 12:57 PM
    One of the things I do is remove the charging as soon as it becomes 100%. Should I charge my phone for entire night so the phone discharge time also increases?

Posted via CB10
    The device has it's own regulator built in.
    So leaving it connected to a charger, or on a QI charger for the wireless types, does not over charge the battery.
    Once the battery reaches 100%, the device goes into a float mode. The regulator will turn off the current from the charge source until it detects the battery dropping below 100% at which time it turns the current back on. This repeats as long as the device is left on the charger.
    You can also use the device while on charger.
    While the Z30 has phenomenal battery life either in heavy use or standby, I feel it's best to have a fully topped off device at all times, as you never know when you may find yourself without a power source to charge it up.
    Here is a not well known factoid:
    The Z30 has USB hosting capacity with it's USB2GO hardware..... Yes, this means you can charge another device with your Z30 as the power source

I use QI chargers for my Verizon Z30 exclusively and have the TLYT Vu brand QI stands:
    At night, I switch on Bed Side mode and set it on the stand. So I get a fully charged device over night and a nice night time clock and alarm.... win win.
    I did the same for my previous BlackBerry devices, using either the bundled USB charger or a desk top dock.
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    08-22-15 06:54 PM
    But alas I can not go for wireless charger. I tried looking for in Indian stores but no success. And still I feel that now my battery discharge rate is pretty high. I have done lots of soft resets and boots. Is there any other way? With 100% at 6.00 AM, it becomes 25% by 6.00 PM. I do system checks too. Any advice

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 09:52 PM
    But alas I can not go for wireless charger. I tried looking for in Indian stores but no success. And still I feel that now my battery discharge rate is pretty high. I have done lots of soft resets and boots. Is there any other way? With 100% at 6.00 AM, it becomes 25% by 6.00 PM. I do system checks too. Any advice

Posted via CB10
    I mentioned the wireless charging, QI charging, to just emphases that no matter by what method you charge the BlackBerry, the BlackBerry's hardware is what controls the charge rate, so leaving it on charge is OK.

To help ID what is causing the battery drain.
    Go for about 12 hours without charging the device, and use the device as little as possible, and pull up the Device Monitor and see what the Battery usage info says.
    08-23-15 06:54 AM
    Props to DaFoxGrey for his Z30 tech literacy. I also like to always stay close to a 100% charge so in addition to overnight charge I keep my device plugged in during day time whenever I get the chance. Which is why I
    like the idea of the charging box case, might get one as soon as I feel my battery health is getting weak.
    And oh, thanks for reminding of the usb on-the-go feature : it's been forgotten too often & it's time I thought charging my other BlackBerry (always carry one extra for casual conversation only) through it. !

DaFoxGrey likes this.
    08-23-15 07:38 AM
    Here is a not well known factoid:
    The Z30 has USB hosting capacity with it's USB2GO hardware..... Yes, this means you can charge another device with your Z30 as the power source

I charge my kids iPhone all the time...BlackBerry swooping in to save her apples a**

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    08-23-15 09:28 AM
    I've been charging my VerizonZ30 both wirelessly and wired nightly with no problems except when I used a Tylt Vu Qi charger. It made my phone way too hot which I understand is really bad for battery health /life. I now use a BestFire Qi Charger with no heating issue.
    My battery health according to the PowerTools app is at 91% and I'm a heavy user, averaging close to 5 hours per day for the last 20 months.

My bitchin' BlackBerry Z30
    FF22 likes this.
    08-23-15 04:21 PM
    If you don't charge it at night you won't have the clock face illuminated in bedside mode. Gotta check the time when I wake for a pee.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.1.2582 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    When I charge this through the battery bank the bedside mode with alarm is present. I have validated it for couple of times.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 03:02 AM