when I plug in my phone to the outlet it hisses why is that? anyone else

Posted via CB10 with my BlackBerry Z30.
    03-16-14 09:00 PM
    i dont know but it doesnt sound normal, i would stop using
    03-16-14 09:13 PM
    Chargers are transformers and the coils inside vibrate at high frequencies if they are not glued down 100%. You should be safe.

Posted via Z10
    03-16-14 09:21 PM
    Chargers are transformers and the coils inside vibrate at high frequencies if they are not glued down 100%. You should be safe.

Posted via Z10
    alright great, cause I mean it's a new charger I just got this new z30 like hmm, month ago or so, anything I can do about it or? kinda annoying when I sleep

03-16-14 09:26 PM
    Have the same hissing sound, as you say, since the day I bought my Z30. When you use the device the hissing goes louder and quieter at times I found. Hasn't been an issue for me.
    03-16-14 10:51 PM
    This is so random, haha. Just noticed mine doing it probably 2 minutes ago
    ProjectBrett likes this.
    03-16-14 10:55 PM
    Did you get it wet? Dumbass employee got phone wet and ruined it. When we plugged it in very high pitch whine.
    03-17-14 12:47 AM
    Have the same hissing sound, as you say, since the day I bought my Z30. When you use the device the hissing goes louder and quieter at times I found. Hasn't been an issue for me.
    I found that too, louder and quite

03-17-14 06:34 AM
    Did you get it wet? Dumbass employee got phone wet and ruined it. When we plugged it in very high pitch whine.
    nope, it's never near water

03-17-14 06:36 AM
    nope, it's never near water

Haven't noticed this. Guess I will have to pay more attention next charge.
    03-17-14 07:28 AM
    Which connector do you plug in first - the big power plug or the Micro-USB-plug in the Z30?

Always plug in the USB first, then the power plug. Never the other way.

It can happen that plugging in the Micro-USB could cause a small spark hearable as hissing. This depends on the charger and the amperage of the charging current. (PCs and other electronical devices with USB output normally have lesser charging currents than explicite standalone chargers. You see this in the differing charging times needed.) This spark could be even big enough to damage your Micro-USB-socket. That's why always plug in this tiny thing without any voltage.
    03-17-14 08:09 AM
    "Hissing" sound in electrical (or electronic) is not a good sign... unless, the device is designed to make that hissing sound when connected to electricity... that sound usually produced by either vibration or a very small gap between two conductors that when electricity travels through air, it makes a hissing sound...

It is a common source of fire or electrocution... and yes, it can also damage electronic devices connected to that...

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 08:21 AM
    Happened to many of my chargers a lot of times, never had an issue with them

From my White Z30
    03-17-14 08:32 AM
    If that is the only charger that makes the "hissing" high freq. sound when plugged in, I would replace it. If something in the charger's "wart" goes south the wrong way, may damage your device...

c
    03-17-14 08:51 AM
    Which connector do you plug in first - the big power plug or the Micro-USB-plug in the Z30?

Always plug in the USB first, then the power plug. Never the other way.

It can happen that plugging in the Micro-USB could cause a small spark hearable as hissing. This depends on the charger and the amperage of the charging current. (PCs and other electronical devices with USB output normally have lesser charging currents than explicite standalone chargers. You see this in the differing charging times needed.) This spark could be even big enough to damage your Micro-USB-socket. That's why always plug in this tiny thing without any voltage.
    I have the bigger charger and that's how I plug it in,

03-17-14 11:05 AM
    Happened to many of my chargers a lot of times, never had an issue with them

From my White Z30
    me neither never an issue

03-17-14 11:06 AM

Posted via Z10
    I sure as heck would replace it.

Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of no concern to you.
    03-17-14 11:12 AM
    Is it an OEM charger, as in BlackBerry branded, or aftermarket?
    Does the charger have a UL and/or CE emblem on it?

charger is hissing :o-y81m0gj.jpg

charger is hissing :o-2elypnf.gif
    03-17-14 11:30 AM
    That's what we are discussing... the OEM Z30 charger.

Posted via CB10
    ProjectBrett likes this.
    03-17-14 11:43 AM
    I have Tinnitus... I hear buzzing all the time. jokes apart... I think you should change the charger

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    03-17-14 11:46 AM
    call a priest for an exorcism
    03-17-14 11:54 AM
    If it's only a month old will be under warranty, my advise is to go to where you bought the phone and have the charger replaced.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 11:59 AM
    UL and/or CE listed chargers, normally have filters to cut down on the electrical noise produced by the power supply switching.
    Normally these range around 60~70kHz and are inaudible to most, but younger people or those with very sensitive hearing will hear the whine/hum/hiss (what it sounds like is dependent mostly on the person)
    If the charger was a knock-off or hadn't passed UL/CE specs, it may not have the filters.

As mentioned earlier, a fly-back transformer with windings not fully secured or cores that are loose can also make noise. Knock-offs may not have the types and amounts of insulation required under UL/CE. Moving wires, from electrical induced vibration, will wear faster with less insulation.

Either of these issues can be the sign of a faulty charger.
    If it is a faulty charger, it would be much safer to go ahead and have it tested or replaced. Some parts of the charger can reach over 300 volts DC internally, certain faults could allow that to pass to externally. 300V DC can be lethal to certain age and health groups of people.

The reason I asked if the OP's charger was OEM BlackBerry or at least UL/CE listed as he didn't specifically state it was the charger that came with his Z30, only "it's a new charger" and "I just got this new z30 like hmm, month ago or so,".
    Now I would guess it truly is the OEM charger, but I wanted to be sure.
    Last edited by DaFoxGrey; 03-18-14 at 04:22 AM.
    03-17-14 12:11 PM
    I have Tinnitus... I hear buzzing all the time. jokes apart... I think you should change the charger

Posted via CB10
    only got one z30 charger

03-17-14 06:01 PM
    If it's only a month old will be under warranty, my advise is to go to where you bought the phone and have the charger replaced.

Posted via CB10
    bought it online

03-17-14 06:01 PM
28 12