Hey guys,

New member and a recent owner of a Z30. It's my first Blackberry. Oh man I love it!!!

Anyway I got a Transform case with the phone - second hand phone but pristine condition. And I love the screen but no screen protector yet. I do miss the nice woven back feel of the phone.
    Hence I was wondering what the holster is like? The one that looks like the stiff PlayBook cover. It seems to be a sort of old style cover but I like the fact it is pure pocket protection.

If anyone can comment that would be great!

Thanks,
    JP: Recent Blackberry lover!!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 04:18 AM
    It sounds like perhaps you are describing the flip shell case, not a holster? If so, that attaches by removing your current back plate and putting on this one that has a front flap to cover the screen. I don't know what the back of that feels like, I find the back of the transform case to be too slippery, but you will not have the glass weave back anymore. Also, if you have a Verizon phone you may lose the nfc that I believe is in the back cover if that matters to you.

There are many many different opinions on screen protectors, I happen to use illumishield which I found on amazon for a very reasonable price and have been pleasantly surprised by the coverage and quality and feel.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 06:46 AM
    Be aware that,the Verizon variant is slightly different from the other models. The case you describe along with a few others does not not fit the Verizon model.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 07:19 AM
    I acquired the Gmyle case. It has a flip cover to protect the screen. It has some credit card slots and I managed to slip a thin magnet inside to make use of the Standby/Sleep sensor in the Z30. I got a rather generic screen protector from the Verizon store and it had to be cut down to fit the Z30.
    revtech likes this.
    03-24-15 08:49 AM
    I acquired the Gmyle case. It has a flip cover to protect the screen. It has some credit card slots and I managed to slip a thin magnet inside to make use of the Standby/Sleep sensor in the Z30. I got a rather generic screen protector from the Verizon store and it had to be cut down to fit the Z30.
    Hey that's great, I've been wanting to get feedback from someone I "know" on the Gmyle cases . . I've been interested in them but just haven's bothered to order one yet. Can you offer a few comments on quality and function from your use? Also I've always wondered if those card slots scratch up the screen over time? I know that's what screen protectors are for, but I also don't want to have to replace my screen protector every two weeks or something. Thanks
    03-24-15 09:06 AM
    Hey that's great, I've been wanting to get feedback from someone I "know" on the Gmyle cases . . I've been interested in them but just haven's bothered to order one yet. Can you offer a few comments on quality and function from your use? Also I've always wondered if those card slots scratch up the screen over time? I know that's what screen protectors are for, but I also don't want to have to replace my screen protector every two weeks or something. Thanks
    I like the case. It definitely adds bulk. The front/back covers are pretty thick (I compare it with a similar design for the Story Leather case on my Z10 - Kind of twice as thick).

I don't place credit cards in the slots so they remain flush with the entire interior. I've been using it for about two months. It is a fabric material, kind of a canvas texture. The corners do show some sign of wear - the color has rubbed off on its edges. Although that may be the result of me shoving it into a heavy duty vinyl ziplock (for kayaking) case when I hike/etc. But for the activities I drag it on, I prefer the coverage/protection such a design offers with a front flap. It has to be opened in order to use the charging/hdmi ports. But I've the Verizon model and the Qi wireless charging works through the case.

I did slip a thin, powerful magnet inside one of the slots to activate the Standby function. It's own magnetic flap keeps it securely closed.

I have no idea if a Story Leather case would have held up better in this larger size for the Z30. The Z30's larger size might be adding to the friction on the corners inside pockets and that case I mentioned. The Z10 fit in that waterproof case without forcing.

Shot shots of corner wear. Taken with the Z10!

Case, Holster etc for Z30-img_20150324_074912.jpgCase, Holster etc for Z30-img_20150324_074844.jpgCase, Holster etc for Z30-img_20150324_074834.jpg
    revtech likes this.
    03-24-15 10:06 AM
    Awesome, thanks F2 ! I too have the verizon model so I'm glad to hear that it fits and that the qi charging works. can you give me an idea where the magnet needs to be to activate holster mode or is it kinda trial and error?

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 10:50 AM
    Awesome, thanks F2 ! I too have the verizon model so I'm glad to hear that it fits and that the qi charging works. can you give me an idea where the magnet needs to be to activate holster mode or is it kinda trial and error?

Posted via CB10
    Approximation

If you have a homepage with icons, four icons down and about two in from the usb/hdmi port side.

Actually, almost centered left to right (portrait mode). Just below the second card slot. But move a magnet over the screen and you'll see where it should be. You want a thin magnet so as not to create a bump or pressure point against the screen. Although I used a thicker magnet on my Z10 (the Story case also did not have a magnet) and the screen did really well. But I found a thinner magnet for this job. I fixed it with, of course, duck tape!
    revtech likes this.
    03-24-15 12:13 PM
    I use the BlackBerry holster when I'm in town. When I'm in the field (I'm a geologist) I use an an Otterbox Commuter. The latter makes the phone bulky, but the protection from dust, water and bumps is well worth it.
    Cheers,

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 09:01 PM
    I also use the Otterbox Commuter. Just received the Seidio S5 Dilex holster to carry it. Fit was a little too tight for the Commuter so I took a heat gun to the tabs on the bottom of the holster and it's now a perfect fit. Couldn't find a Defender/holster combo so I guess the Commuter with Seidio holster will do the job. I would rather not have the extra bulk on the phone but I am a carpenter and the protection is a necessity for me.

VZW Z30 STA 100-3 / 10.3.1.2582
    03-24-15 09:58 PM
    Cool. Thanks for the replies. Turns out I was mixing up Holster and Pouch. It was the leather pouch I was thinking of, similar to the one my PlayBook is in.

I am liking my Transform case and maybe I'll bite the bullet and get a good screen protector. I just don't want to scratch or scrape this lovely screen. The leather pouch looks like great pocket protection!

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 02:35 AM
    Aloha,

I'll have my white leather pocket case by end of week and I'll post back how I find it. The Transform case is fine but I want something to protected my screen in my pocket but I don't want a flip case. I have 3 tiny hairline scrapes that I can only presume happened in my pocket I also have a screen protector on the way and I'll report about that also

Cheers,
    John Paul
    04-09-15 10:47 AM