03-25-15 09:20 AM
31 12
tools
    Just hours before the update to fix the Z30 black screen issue was released my Z30 screen went black. I can connect to link. I can hear it receive notifications, etc.

I don't have windows so I haven't been able to try the updated OS autoloader.

Has anyone revived their screen in this manner or is replacement of the screen the only option once it's been killed?

Using Z10 since BlackBerry broke my Z30.
    03-14-15 02:14 AM
    Have your tried holding down the two volume buttons on the side of your phone? Hold them until the phone restarts

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz likes this.
    03-14-15 02:32 AM
    Yes, I tried that, thanks. I'm willing to try anything but I think I'll have to replace the screen.

I know how to. It's easy. But not happy about the 40-50 dollars for the screen. What really is the kicker is how it happened to me hours before the OTA update.

My wife got her update on her Z30 OTA this evening so I think her phone is out of the woods.

03-14-15 02:44 AM
    This was an officially acknowledged issue: KB36766-BlackBerry 10 smartphone Screen appears blank or black and will not power on after software update

That said, I would suggest hooking up to your PC and running a backup with Link. Then, if you expect that your OTA is waiting for you, you could try initiating the update from Link. The last option I can think of would be running the autoloader for the new OS from this thread. http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...links-1006171/

If you decide to try one of these, please let us know how it turns out.

Good luck.
    Doggerz likes this.
    03-14-15 07:52 AM
    I have a screen on its way, but will try link update and try an auto loader if I can get access to a windows machine.

Will definitely report back if I can receive the original screen in some way.

03-14-15 10:55 AM
    Report:

I successfully updated my phone using link to 2582.

Screen didn't come back on. But at least it's ready with a new OS once my new screen arrives.

I'm going to do a SEC Multi wipe. Not that I'm expecting any difference.

After that I'm going to open my phone and disconnect the battery cable to the motherboard. Let it sit 24 hours to drain any energy left then reconnect and see what happens.

By that time my new screen should be here. But I'm continuing my quest to revive my old screen until then.

"Spock Out"

FF22 likes this.
    03-16-15 11:43 PM
    03-17-15 05:39 AM
    I've hooked up to the TV. Settled in the new OS. Played with the settings. Still no screen.

I unplugged the screen. I unplugged the battery.

Still no screen.

I'd say it's safe to assume the damage to the screen is physical on nature.

BlackBerry must have realized this or they'd have announced some sort of software fix. I've been diligent in my attempts to leave no stone unturned.

I've yet to see one person state a step by step procedure for reviving the old screen. Therefore, I'd say the only viable solution is screen replacement after wiping then loading 2582.

If anyone has any suggestions of what to try while it's hooked to the HDMI I'd be willing to give anything a shot.

My final step will be to remove the screen from power for 24 hours. I already removed screen and battery from mother board for 10 minutes with no results.

FF22, q649 and CyberMan2013 like this.
    03-17-15 02:27 PM
    Final report: disconnection from power for 24 hours did no good.

If you have a black screen that still responds to touch because of the 2267 update you need a new screen.

CyberMan2013 likes this.
    03-18-15 09:35 PM
    While connected to the TV did you try to run a test on your display using BBVE tools?

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 09:41 PM
    While connected to the TV did you try to run a test on your display using BBVE tools?

Posted via CB10
    No, I didn't think of that. I'll do that later today.

it's weird. I got pretty good at knowing where to put my finger on the phone even though I was watching the TV.

If there's anything else you or anyone wants tried I'd be happy to. The new screen I think will be here late this afternoon or Friday

FF22 likes this.
    03-19-15 03:47 AM
    Any update? I have been Away but have one that I am going to try and revive starting tomorrow

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 08:18 PM
    I got a new screen. Plugged it in, it works fine.

Nothing I attempted (was very difficult not being able to see what you were typing) worked.

It's safe to say that if the screen was broken trim the OS update and it has the same characteristics of screen works except it's black, that the only fix is a new screen.

If anyone ever does find a way to revive the screen that can be demonstrated and verified I'll gladly try to revive mine again. So far the only thing I've heard is some hocus pocus about 50 hard resets etc.

03-22-15 09:50 PM
    I emailed CrackBerry last week about this. For whatever reason, CrackBerry seems to really not have much interested in working on a investigative article involving BlackBerry effectively killing many Z30's with an OS update. I asked them to reach out to BlackBerry on the matter.

Wouldn't this make a much better article than a game review or the lastest set of BBM stickers?
    FF22, peter0328 and Doggerz like this.
    03-23-15 09:20 AM
    It seems this black screen problem with the 10.3.1 update is not an important problem for BlackBerry since they only acknowledge the problem, but offer no solutions. Very bad for perception and reliability for BlackBerry. Too bad. It will not go away by its self.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-23-15 09:47 AM
    I am late to the z30 screen issue... I was using a z10 and the update pretty much killed me using it as a phone (a phone you can make and receive calls on isn't too much to ask) . So I grabbed hubby's old z30 and am using it. Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2582. Does this mean I have the latest update and the screen is okay?

Anyone able to speculate on how software has ruined the (screen) hardware?

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 10:17 AM
    I tried every thing that I read that was suggested by everyone in the forums, including doing a SIC wipe,tried several different OS by autoloader and nothing worked. My Z30 is now at the BlackBerry repair shop!

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 10:50 AM
    I tried every thing that I read that was suggested by everyone in the forums, including doing a SIC wipe,tried several different OS by autoloader and nothing worked. My Z30 is now at the BlackBerry repair shop!

Posted via CB10
    Who's paying?
    03-23-15 10:56 AM
    I emailed CrackBerry last week about this. For whatever reason, CrackBerry seems to really not have much interested in working on a investigative article involving BlackBerry effectively killing many Z30's with an OS update. I asked them to reach out to BlackBerry on the matter.

Wouldn't this make a much better article than a game review or the lastest set of BBM stickers?
    Just ask Bla1ze directly on boards here. Bigger chances of getting a reply. You have to understand that there are things that Crackberry in their best interest cannot talk about officially. This is one of them. When money and business is involved there are things you cannot do.

Now BlackBerry killing phones with an OS update is a joke. They will get away with this as this is BlackBerry company policy to not acknowledge anything wrong on their side (see q10 double typing).
    More importantly they will get away with this because no one outside of fan sites like this cares about their phones anymore with their 0.5% share.
    Because a business site like this can't sh... in their own garden there's basically nobody else interested about this as BlackBerry is so irrelevant.
    You can be assured that if that happened to apple or Samsung that would on all TV channels and fanboys here would be drunk with rejoice of others failure. Since its BlackBerry total mess up nobody cares other than users having to pay out if their own pockets.

I would love to be proven wrong by BlackBerry or Crackberry but have no high hopes.
    crackberry_geek, andrei27 and q649 like this.
    03-23-15 11:23 AM
    I'm also in the process of trying to fix my black screen after uploading .2267, haven't had any luck so far.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 11:39 AM
    I have been updating OS on my z30 very frequently. Luckily, nothing happened to my screen yet. Whether Black screen is random behaviour and how OS can damage hardware (screen)?

Prithvi Z30 10.3.1.2582 thru CB10
    03-23-15 11:51 AM
    I am late to the z30 screen issue... I was using a z10 and the update pretty much killed me using it as a phone (a phone you can make and receive calls on isn't too much to ask) . So I grabbed hubby's old z30 and am using it. Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2582. Does this mean I have the latest update and the screen is okay?

Anyone able to speculate on how software has ruined the (screen) hardware?

Posted via CB10
    I'd be interested to know which update is safe for the Z30 as well. I have a Z30 arriving in a couple of days and don't want to screw it up.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 12:03 PM
    If it's under warranty then send to BlackBerry. It will take a while to get your phone back. I'm still waiting for mine.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 12:24 PM
    I'd be interested to know which update is safe for the Z30 as well. I have a Z30 arriving in a couple of days and don't want to screw it up.

Posted via CB10
    Check the OS Leak subforum for a discussion of what are called "Leaks" but have been officially released by carriers. Look for the one with the highest number and that one is pretty solid.
    03-23-15 03:08 PM
    I'm also in the process of trying to fix my black screen after uploading .2267, haven't had any luck so far.

Posted via CB10
    The good thing is that if you're willing to pay 45-55 dollars you can fix this. If you're in a situation where you don't want to buy a new phone. There is a video on YouTube made by that dude who "hates" BlackBerry and he does a great job showing you.

Unless BlackBerry is paying for the repair I wouldn't send it in.

BlackBerry should offer a 100 rebate to anyone who had replaced their screen, by mailing in your old screen that doesn't work. Or they should pay for the screen and postage at least.

This is a really crappie way of doing business.

Of any of you need any help finding the video let me know.

FF22 likes this.
    03-23-15 04:04 PM
31 12