You're crazy!

You asked...

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    Taede likes this.
    11-07-13 07:28 AM
    Still laughing here.
    You know, if one Car has a new feature, all others are outdated! That's a fact!
    Sir!
    Outdated!
    Specs! Sir!

LOL!
    It's always fun to transfer smartphone example to cars. Another one? I like sports cars very much, but guess what? I don't drive one every day, because my back would kill me. And so would a toolbox full of everything i DON'T need. Guess what I call miracast ? I call it useless. FACT! SIR!
    Karan Mohal likes this.
    11-07-13 08:30 AM
    Still laughing here.
    You know, if one Car has a new feature, all others are outdated! That's a fact!
    Sir!
    Outdated!
    Specs! Sir!

LOL!
    It's always fun to transfer smartphone example to cars. Another one? I like sports cars very much, but guess what? I don't drive one every day, because my back would kill me. And so would a toolbox full of everything i DON'T need. Guess what I call miracast ? I call it useless. FACT! SIR!
    It's pretty funny how much people fail with car analogies.
    It must be the single most misused category of objects on CB.

But I'll give you one point:
    I think that Miracast is useless as well, at least for now.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 08:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    So do you think the HDMI-out port is useless as well? I use it all the time, myself.

Taede likes this.
    11-07-13 08:59 AM
    So do you think the HDMI-out port is useless as well? I use it all the time, myself.

I don't really have any intended purpose to use it with my phone.
    I either have a tablet or notebook with me to output content on a bigger screen anyway, if there is any necessity for it.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 09:06 AM

Me too. I love it! I was showing a friend of mine with an Iphone how I could stream content from my computer 10 miles away onto his tv via HDMI and his eyes lit up. Funny thing is he was quiet about saying how sweet it is to be able to do that. Too proud I guess.....

Posted via CB10
    Loc22 and Taede like this.
    11-07-13 09:11 AM
    I don't really have any intended purpose to use it with my phone.
    I either have a tablet or notebook with me to output content on a bigger screen anyway, if there is any necessity for it.

Posted via CB10
    If the app actually takes advantage of it and doesn't just do the default mirror image with the same aspect ratio, it can actually be pretty neat. You could even do Remote Desktop with a BT keyboard and mouse.

One example of a really good implementation of the HDMI is an application called PhotoWall, by the same developer as PlayCloud. The screenshot below is from a prerelease public beta, but it's pretty neat, especially for displaying all your pictures on a 50" screen.

Call me CRAZY - I'm Getting a Z30!-img_00000394.png

bombastic likes this.
    11-07-13 09:14 AM
    Duplicate post.
    11-07-13 09:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    Of course analogies always fail, if you analyze enough. But obviously you do understand my point and what i was telling.
    Outdated means I can't do what i need to (or at least not as fast). It's highly dependant on what one needs or likes. Only if a smartphone does not do what all others already can do, it's really outdated. Otherwise you'd have to call everything outdated if there is a newer version or an additional feature. Outdated is a buzzword that is used far too often and just as wrong as car analogies are in your opinion.
    I could call Iphones outdated because they don't have HDMI or SD card slot, or.... I could call the Galaxy S4 outdated because it doesn't have modular concept hardware (which is being developed by motorola these days) or because it is not built as a fairphone. So what?

I will buy a Z30 anyways, because it's cool, fast, useful and well designed. And it's not Apple or samsung as well ;-)
    11-07-13 09:16 AM
    I will buy a Z30 anyways, because it's cool, fast, useful and well designed. And it's not Apple or samsung as well ;-)
    Exactly.

Karan Mohal likes this.
    11-07-13 09:17 AM
    If the app actually takes advantage of it and doesn't just do the default mirror image with the same aspect ratio, it can actually be pretty neat. You could even do Remote Desktop with a BT keyboard and mouse.

One example of a really good implementation of the HDMI is an application called PhotoWall, by the same developer as PlayCloud. The screenshot below is from a prerelease public beta, but it's pretty neat, especially for displaying all your pictures on a 50" screen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000394.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	365.1 KB 
ID:	218139

That's all fine and dandy, but I have no use for that.
    As I said before, I either have a Notebook or a Tablet with me anyway, and they are far better suited for my needs than a phone as well.
    The app looks neat though, but nothing I would need.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 09:40 AM
    Of course analogies always fail, if you analyze enough. But obviously you do understand my point and what i was telling.
    Outdated means I can't do what i need to (or at least not as fast). It's highly dependant on what one needs or likes. Only if a smartphone does not do what all others already can do, it's really outdated. Otherwise you'd have to call everything outdated if there is a newer version or an additional feature. Outdated is a buzzword that is used far too often and just as wrong as car analogies are in your opinion.
    I could call Iphones outdated because they don't have HDMI or SD card slot, or.... I could call the Galaxy S4 outdated because it doesn't have modular concept hardware (which is being developed by motorola these days) or because it is not built as a fairphone. So what?

I think the better way to use a car analogy would be to compare the specs of comparable models as opposed to whether or not certain items are outdated. Take the 993 Porsche Turbo. When compared to similar cars in it's category, it didn't have as much HP, torque, gadgets and most importantly, the price was much cheaper. But overall it was the most complete car around, hands down. In fact, that model still fetches a high price because it was able to mix all the right things together to make it a complete masterpiece.
    11-07-13 09:47 AM
    I have two Miracast capable smartphones in my pocket right now. Of course, they both also have USB OTG host mode as well. One of them, my Nexus 4, is actually older than the Z10 is. It will be turning a year old next week. In a couple days, hopefully my Nexus 5 will finally arrive. Then I'll have 3 Miracast and USB OTG capable devices. On top of my phones, my wife also has the LG Nexus 4 and the LG G2, both of which are Miracast and USB OTG capable devices. At home, we have a Miracast capable TV and a Miracast dongle is attactched to my computer monitor so I can use my phones as a desktop PC when needed.

Assume much? The technology isn't exactly new ya know

By definition, the Z10, Q10 and Q5 launched with outdated WiFi (Z10 only here) and USB hardware. That isn't an opinion, it is a FACT! There is no debating it, those phones launched with old hardware in those two categories. That results in them not being able to use Miracast or USB OTG. BlackBerry used the old WiFi hardware and the old USB port instead of the current hardware. The hardware existed, BlackBerry just didn't use it!

If I'm wrong and the Z10 didn't launch with outdated hardware in at least two key areas, then please explain how my Nexus 4 exists? Did it get sent to the past from the future?
    So according to you all phones that are launched without the latest specs/hardware immediately becomes outdated!? Because that is what im getting from your logic. The fact that the technologies exist but not utilize by different manufactuers makes a product outdated. You see how stupid that sounds? Does your nexus 4 comes with a micro hdmi port???? OUTDATED! because the Z10 was launched with it. So im still able to get the same result of mirroring something to my screen albeit with a cable. Did your Nexus 4 launch with Wifi AC? even though the technology was available? OUTDATED Wifi Antennae. Miracast isn't mainstream so chill out. Did your Nexus 4 come with USB otg out of the box or did it require you to root your device. Iphone don't have the latest specs nor hardware... lacking usb otg and miracast, wifi ac, NFC.. does that make the product outdated? relax give BlackBerry a break. At the end of the day whether with miracast or not the Z10 runs circles around the Nexus 4... From Browser Benchmarks to day to day use. Now that is a Fact!
    Karan Mohal likes this.
    11-07-13 10:25 AM
    [B]OUTDATED Wifi Antennae. Miracast isn't mainstream so chill out.
    So, you agree with me!

BTW, you'll notice that I've NEVER once said Miracast was mainstream. Sure it isn't. Just like HDMI ports aren't either. Unless you're talking about cheap, generic smartphone manufactures from China. Pretty much everyone else has evolved and started using Slimport. My Nexus 4 already has Slimport, why have a second port if everything can be handled with one? But again, why use a wire at all when you can use Miracast and go wireless?

At the end of the day whether with miracast or not the Z10 runs circles around the Nexus 4... From Browser Benchmarks to day to day use. Now that is a Fact!
    Sadly, I don't agree with your opinion that the Z10 ran circles around the Nexus 4. I owned both the Nexus 4 and the Z10 (I actually owned two Limited Edition Z10s) and I used them both side by side for months. Each of my LEZ10s were sold on this website. Check my post history if you'd like. I had two rare, red Z10s and now, I have none. Meanwhile, the Nexus 4 is still in my pocket.

EDIT:

I typed out a long, reply about benchmarks and I listed the personal reasons why I didn't keep the Z10s. It wasn't mean, nasty or anything like that. It was just redundant. It has all been said before so many times over that it really doesn't need repeating here. Bottom line, I love my Nexus 4 and sold my LEZ10s. That's really all that needs to be said about it.

I'm glad we can agree that the Z10 launched with an outdated WiFi antenna and I'm honestly glad that you like your Z10. That is what really matters and I truly hope that the fine people who bought my LEZ10s are enjoying them as well.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    11-07-13 11:20 AM
    Cray Cray!
    11-07-13 01:49 PM
    Hmmm, I guess my 2cents to this thread is....why would Blackberry need to get a faster chip, quad core or more memory? Why would they need this if using lower end specs gives the same results? If the OS is optimized accordingly, it is pointless to put HUGE specs, increasing cost of the phone, when it doesn't need it. I don't get why people get so hung up on the specs war. That's why apple for many years didn't publish what they had in their iphones. It wasn't necessarry. Android needs the specs, because that's the only way the OS can keep up with Apple and Blackberry. It's pretty smart of them too....they figured out that if they show they have the best specs, their phones will sell, which they are. I think they sell more then apple does if I'm not mistaken. But that's how they get you...they add a ton of specs, making the phone look superior, but in reality, it doesn't. If an OS can run just as good (or arguably better) with half the specs, than why would you want to put higher specs in your devices? Makes no sense. As for the cost....well, it costs good money for good engineers to build a quality OS that doesn't need high specs to run it. So on one hand, Blackberry has a much more superior OS, but less specs....Android has inferior OS, but higher specs. Seems to even out to me, which is why they both cost similar prices.

That's my 2 cents....feel free to ask for change if you're not happy with my comments. Then again, I'm not one to care to much about that. I pick a phone based on what it does for me, not based on specs. I want quality and good functionality and I want it to be efficient. That is what BB10 has. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Android. Awesome that it as great specs though!
    So this is what confuses me. Z30 has lower specs than other current flagship Android/Apple phones, why is it priced the same? If (according to you) the result is the same with lower specs then wouldn't the magic be to charge a lower price and beat up your competition in that regard? Example: why pay for a 720p screen when the same price gets you a 1080p screen?
    Saiga likes this.
    11-07-13 06:06 PM
    No it's not the same price as apple the Apple 5s 32 GB is 429 on a two year contract and the BlackBerry Z30 is $129 on a two year from the same provider.

The no contract price for the Z30 is $599 and the no contract price for the iPhone 5s is $929

I haven't had a chance to review the S4 but will shortly

From the Z30 of Rockivy @10.2.0.1791
    11-07-13 09:23 PM
    So this is what confuses me. Z30 has lower specs than other current flagship Android/Apple phones, why is it priced the same? If (according to you) the result is the same with lower specs then wouldn't the magic be to charge a lower price and beat up your competition in that regard? Example: why pay for a 720p screen when the same price gets you a 1080p screen?
    Bingo, can't get much clearer than this poster's statement. All of the fumbling talk on this thread and two to three sentences form a consensus and sum things up.

1) Z30 has unquestionably "lower specs" than its competitors--battery, screen, (arguably) craftsmanship/durability, etc.
    BUT even as I concur that all the specs found on today's most advanced phones are not needed, the
    2) Z30 is priced the same, or higher, than these over-tech-spec'd competitors.
    Therefore, it's simple, the
    3) Z30 is an inferior product for consumers to consider at anywhere near its current price (as also true w/Z10 at launch) and will lose more money for BB.

Listen up, some posters are expecting too much from our larger screen child. The Z30 is part of the same flawed planning that went into the other OS10 phones. No one objectively following the tech industry thought (or would think) that the Z30 would be anything but a small subset of the Z10. (And we need not speak here again of the (lack of )success of the Z10.) The current OS10 phones--all of them--might have made a difference if launched two or three years ago, perhaps even a year earlier. But BB was penny wise and pound foolish in thinking that it could use the same skimming practice it had (barely) lived off of for the prior four years. There will not be a material trade up from the (non-material) Z/Q10 sales and no conversion from other platforms to the Z30.

Clearly, the Z30 will not improve BB's reputation, market share, or prospects for corporate viability. Good news, however, is that the management of this overall BB debacle are being purged, the company sold (or de facto has been sold), and it will place a different strategy in place. Granted, there's no guarantees for improvement of BB but we have moved up from certain failure of BB to likely failure. We must leave that for the next phone, or absent a phone, grander and radical improvements to OS10. For now, let's simply hope that BB and OS10 survives while improving with time.

..."Hey, what/who again is the target market for the Z30," he said rhetorically.
    Last edited by M65c02; 11-12-13 at 09:56 AM.
    11-08-13 09:23 AM
    Z30 apps

11-08-13 08:45 PM
    This is the point that you didn't bother to read!

As for the cost....well, it costs good money for good engineers to build a quality OS that doesn't need high specs to run it. So on one hand, Blackberry has a much more superior OS, but less specs....Android has inferior OS, but higher specs. Seems to even out to me, which is why they both cost similar prices.
    he is saying you are paying for a quality built OS, which is rightly so.

By the way.. how did you arrive at Apple phones having better specs than the Z30?
    As far as im concerned the iPhone does Not have a 720p HD display, Micro SD slot, 2Gs of RAM, 1.7ghz processor with quad-core graphics, micro hdmi port, 2880 MAH battery,NFC and I could go on. iPhones are the most expensive with with the least specs of all superphones.

You might not know it yet. But Paying for a QNX built superphone is a good investment...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by digtech; 11-09-13 at 06:01 PM.
    Taede likes this.
    11-09-13 05:34 PM
    Specs are not the be all end all of pricing a phone. What do you guys know. Because android manufacturers can obtain hardware for X amount does not necessarily mean it's the same for everyone. The point everywhere with sense is trying to get across is WHY! does the Z30 with less specs should require more when it's very fast as is, keeping up with or out performing the competition in real world scenario.

Posted via CB10
    Taede likes this.
    11-09-13 05:41 PM
    Specs are not the be all end all of pricing a phone. What do you guys know. Because android manufacturers can obtain hardware for X amount does not necessarily mean it's the same for everyone. The point everywhere with sense is trying to get across is WHY! does the Z30 with less specs should require more when it's very fast as is, keeping up with or out performing the competition in real world scenario.

Posted via CB10
    You must have skipped rockivy 's post on the price. Because they aren't the same price.

Owner of z30, z10, q10, iPhone 4 and 5, sony xperia z1
    11-09-13 08:25 PM
    Well call me crazy too. I'm in. Will try it. Have a Q10 already. Find myself wanting the screen real estate. Trying to see if I can use Z30 instead of carrying around tablet and phone all the time. Not sure if I will ever get used to touch typing in spite of what I read on the forums as to how good the BB touch screen typing expeience is. Anyway one of them will have to go after all is said and done. Now gotta get a case and screen protector and.......When is 10.2.1 coming out anyways
    Taede likes this.
    11-11-13 09:41 AM
148 ... 456