Hey!

I am about to buy a Z30. Actually, I was planning on driving to Canada and buying it there Unlocked from Telus or so but than I just stumbled over the "Shopblackberry" (USA) alternative since I am in the USA at the moment.

On Blackberry.com->Wheretobuy->Unlocked Smartphones you get redirected to "Shopblackberry" (I assume this is the official shop?). But I do have two questions about this:

Firstly, on Crackberry I always read posts like "this update is not available on Verizon yet", "please At&t hurry up, everyone got it except us" when it comes to OS updates. When I decide to get this unlocked phone on Shopblackberry (US) how do I get the updates since I do not have a provider that is tied to this phone? Would I be one of the firsts with such an unlocked phone?

Secondly, I am going to use this phone in Germany (only). So my career is a German one. Again, does this influence the update issue? Or doesnt it matter because it is unlocked (!)? Also, the Z30 that I will buy in the US (!) Shopblackkberry store works in Europe, right?

That'd be really really helpful. The moment I am getting your blessing on this, the Z30 will be on its way

Thank you!

Bernt
    06-08-14 10:27 PM
    Hi,

Carrier updates depend on the SIM that's inserted rather than the device and who it's locked to. I have a Z30 in the UK which is unlocked, Z30STA100-2. I'm on O2, but if Vodafone release an update before O2 "a given, really " I pop my Vodafone sim in and update.

For whether it works in Germany or not, you need to check what device you're actually getting. I believe in Europe you want to be getting a 100-2 like I have so it works on our frequencies. But have a look, there's a sticky thread here on device versions and what frequencies they use. If you get the wrong frequency you may be limited to just a 2G connection.

Check this thread for the different models and frequencies.

Avoid the STA100-3 and STA100-4 as these are CDMA devices, they won't work correctly in Europe.

Get the right phone, then begin loving it

Posted via CB10
    iFall likes this.
    06-09-14 01:56 AM
    You can usually use BlackBerry Link to install updates also.
    iFall likes this.
    06-09-14 02:25 AM
    If Europe is where you will be using the Z30, then STA100- 2 is the variant to go for. But to be on the safe side, confirm the frequencies at which your carrier operates.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    iFall likes this.
    06-09-14 05:20 AM
    Thanks!

The version they offer at the store is 100-5. The list, sgt_snacks-64, does not really help me in that context - this kind of makes it more complicated to me . They sell the same version in Canada. And the Website says "GSM unlocked" doesn"t it mean, that I can use it anywhere? I am confused.
    06-09-14 01:48 PM
    Thanks!

The version they offer at the store is 100-5. The list, sgt_snacks-64, does not really help me in that context - this kind of makes it more complicated to me . They sell the same version in Canada. And the Website says "GSM unlocked" doesn"t it mean, that I can use it anywhere? I am confused.
    The "unlocked" part means the Phone will accept any SIM from any Carrier and work. However the supported frequencies mean the phone won't perform on LTE etc; if that's available to you is another matter.

Looking at the "partially compatible" section. The stl100-5 seems to work on most European carriers. So guessing you might be able to get 3G at the very least if you went for it

If it helps:

Partially Compatible(some 3G/HSPA+,or some LTE: )

STA100-5: EE, O2 UK, Vodafone UK, T-Mobile UK, Telstra, Batelco, du, MTN SA, Vodacom SA, Telecom NZ (3G/HSPA+ everywhere,) AT&T (3G/HSPA+ everywhere, LTE only in LTE 850 and 1700 areas,) Optus, NTT DoCoMo, Cell C, SoftBank, Vodafone NZ, 2degrees (3G/HSPA+ only in UMTS 2100 areas,) Etisalat UAE (3G/HSPA+ everywhere, LTE only in LTE 2600 areas.)
    Posted via CB10
    iFall likes this.
    06-11-14 01:41 AM
    Thanks for your help!
    06-11-14 06:52 AM