Today I stopped by my local Telus store to pick up a Z30. When the store manager told me they couldn't sell one to me off-contract, I mentioned that the policy seemed to be inconsistently applied since the Crackberry forums had reports of people slapping down their $600 and walking away with a phone.

His explanation was that corporate-run stores can't sell off-contract, but that a franchise operation has that freedom. Probably the simplest solution is to order online. Hope this saves people some aggravation, time, and/or gas money!
    10-29-13 11:20 AM
    I think you were given a line. I just bought two from a corporate store today, and specifically asked them to check their system if off-contract sales were allowed. There is no flag in their system (I think they called it "Habitat") and other stores confirmed that there is no policy to not sell off-contract. Normally it would show up on their computer system if head office puts out a note not to sell off-contract.

The decision not to sell off-contract is entirely up to the individual store managers. They make more money from selling a contract, and if they are consistently sold out in that location, they may decide to stop off-contract sales. It's best to call ahead, get the name of the sales rep, and deal with them directly if they allow you to purchase off-contract.
    10-29-13 11:29 AM
    I think you were given a line. I just bought two from a corporate store today, and specifically asked them to check their system if off-contract sales were allowed. There is no flag in their system (I think they called it "Habitat") and other stores confirmed that there is no policy to not sell off-contract. Normally it would show up on their computer system if head office puts out a note not to sell off-contract.

The decision not to sell off-contract is entirely up to the individual store managers. They make more money from selling a contract, and if they are consistently sold out in that location, they may decide to stop off-contract sales. It's best to call ahead, get the name of the sales rep, and deal with them directly if they allow you to purchase off-contract.
    This makes sense to me. Silly sales people not thinking of their customers.
    10-29-13 11:35 AM
    I guess I'm just too gullible. Ah well, that's a lost sale for that location.
    10-29-13 11:36 AM