Went shopping last night to replace my Z10 with a Z30. Since I just bought the Z10 in April, I wanted to buy the Z30 outright and pay the $600 (I'm with Telus). Best Buy didn't receive any stock yet, and at Black's and Telus, I was told that they couldn't sell me the phone without a plan because it was a new product. Really?? I certainly wasn't expecting someone to tell me I couldn't buy a Blackberry even though they were in stock.

The good news is I did get one eventually. A warning to others upgrading from a Z10 though (and maybe the Q5 or Q10). Do not apply the latest 10.2 upgrade first (which I did yesterday). The Z30 has an older version and Link won't let you do the device switch. I've had to do a lot of manual configuration. Lousy timing on my part.
    10-24-13 01:57 PM
    I'm doing it!

Posted via Harry
    10-24-13 02:05 PM
    Welcome! Glad you got your Z30! Good advice on the OS. Thanks and enjoy it!
    10-24-13 02:06 PM
    Went shopping last night to replace my Z10 with a Z30. Since I just bought the Z10 in April, I wanted to buy the Z30 outright and pay the $600 (I'm with Telus). Best Buy didn't receive any stock yet, and at Black's and Telus, I was told that they couldn't sell me the phone without a plan because it was a new product. Really?? I certainly wasn't expecting someone to tell me I couldn't buy a Blackberry even though they were in stock.

The good news is I did get one eventually. A warning to others upgrading from a Z10 though (and maybe the Q5 or Q10). Do not apply the latest 10.2 upgrade first (which I did yesterday). The Z30 has an older version and Link won't let you do the device switch. I've had to do a lot of manual configuration. Lousy timing on my part.
    I'm having that update issue. What do you mean by manual configuration?

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 02:08 PM
    I went to Telus asking about buying phones outright, the person told me that generally they have to wait 30 days before phones can be sold off contract.
    10-24-13 02:27 PM
    Bought mine outright this weekend, I wondered if the update would come but link hasn't picked up anything as yet. No worries fab phone. I live in the UK bought from carphone warehouse 499
    SifiGamer likes this.
    10-24-13 02:33 PM
    Do you have any carrier branding on this phone you got from Telus? If yes, can you post pictures?

10-24-13 03:32 PM
    I'm with Telus.

I had a Z10, just bought the Z30 off contract from telus.com
    10-24-13 03:40 PM
    I got my tracking number today for my unlocked Bell. I'll be using it on AT&T here in the states. I'm so ready for that screen and those speakers.
    10-24-13 03:51 PM
    I got my tracking number today for my unlocked Bell. I'll be using it on AT&T here in the states. I'm so ready for that screen and those speakers.
    Where did you buy it from?
    10-24-13 05:24 PM
    How can I get the Telus (-5) phone ordered if I live in the US?
    10-24-13 05:38 PM
    I've made several contacts in Canada via BBM. I asked them to get me one. One of those fine folks found me one and arranged the unlock and shipping. I of course paid him for his time. He must be good at it because he got me my white Z10 a few days after release.
    10-24-13 05:41 PM
    I've made several contacts in Canada via BBM. I asked them to get me one. One of those fine folks found me one and arranged the unlock and shipping. I of course paid him for his time. He must be good at it because he got me my white Z10 a few days after release.
    Good job. I certainly know Bell won't sell the phone outright. I just called them, a) they will not ship outside of Canada, and b) they the rep said it required a plan, even if only 1 month (although they say no term on their website).
    10-24-13 05:47 PM
    I have a Z10 on contract with Bell but it is too soon for an upgrade to the Z30. Despite the high price, I broke down and bought the Z30 outright from a Bell store. Bell will sell it too you at full retail.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 08:36 PM
    No, there's no carrier branding on the phone. Looks just like the pictures you see on the BB site.

Do you have any carrier branding on this phone you got from Telus? If yes, can you post pictures?
    10-25-13 08:06 AM
    I ended up buying it from a Black's store. I'm not sure they were supposed to sell it to me, but they did after they had a short scrum. On top of that, the staff there were excellent. Friendly and efficient. They will definitely get repeat business from me.

10-25-13 08:11 AM
    Just meant I had to set up and customise the phone like new because I couldn't transfer the settings. I had to re-install all my apps and the data for many of them. Luckily, contacts and other info were transferred with my Blackberry ID and BBM.

I'm having that update issue. What do you mean by manual configuration?

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 08:14 AM
    By the way, my Z10 was my first personal Blackberry phone (I've used others for work) and this upgrade to the Z30 is the fastest I have ever replaced a phone, without needing to, and paying full retail on top of that! I loved the Z10 and wanted to get the improvements in hardware that the Z30 offered. My girfriend says I've turned into one of those crazy Blackberry people, though I wouldn't go that far.

I like Apple's style and hardware, but I don't like their ecosystem and OS and am not sold on their value. I really liked my Android phone and tablet, but really hated being dropped from support so quickly (meaning OS upgrades). I believe like others that the best phone is the one that works for you, and right now the Blackberry is really working for me. I'm giving my Z10 to my girlfriend to replace her dying Atrix. Maybe it'll turn her into one of those crazy BB people. ;-)
    10-25-13 08:39 AM
    By the way, my Z10 was my first personal Blackberry phone (I've used others for work) and this upgrade to the Z30 is the fastest I have ever replaced a phone, without needing to, and paying full retail on top of that! I loved the Z10 and wanted to get the improvements in hardware that the Z30 offered. My girfriend says I've turned into one of those crazy Blackberry people, though I wouldn't go that far.

I like Apple's style and hardware, but I don't like their ecosystem and OS and am not sold on their value. I really liked my Android phone and tablet, but really hated being dropped from support so quickly (meaning OS upgrades). I believe like others that the best phone is the one that works for you, and right now the Blackberry is really working for me. I'm giving my Z10 to my girlfriend to replace her dying Atrix. Maybe it'll turn her into one of those crazy BB people. ;-)
    Hey now, there is nothing wrong with being a crazy blackberry person despite what the media would have us believe. . In fact I feel quite normal. lol
    10-25-13 09:24 AM
    It's no wonder BlackBerry can't get any traction in sales. First, I have trouble buying a new one, and then my girlfriend tries to activate my old Z10 on her Bell plan and the data won't work. She calls Bell and they tell her she has to change her plan, and it will cost her $30 more per month on a new plan to get what she has now on her plan which still has 4 months on contract. It will also cost her $150 if she wants to cancel her contract to go elsewhere. So it looks like she will have to live with her old Android phone for another 4 months.
    Interestingly, while she was on the phone last night with Bell, they activated the BlackBerry data so the data worked last night, but this morning it wasn't working again. Obviously, it is an easy change for them. When I switched to BlackBerry back in February, Telus cheerfully flipped my data over with one phone call. Has anyone else experienced this?
    10-26-13 10:25 PM

Agreed. I never thought I would be a Crackberrian but the OS is absolutely astounding, the security is second to none, and the community is so cool. I've side loaded Android apps, uploaded leaked OS updates, and given Link advise. Welcome to the best phones ever.

SQN 100-4 v10.2.0.1761
    10-26-13 10:39 PM
    I checked the tracking number this AM. My Z30 went through Chicago a few hours ago. It is likely on the road to me. I'll probably get it tomorrow or Tuesday.
    10-27-13 04:26 AM
    I checked the tracking number this AM. My Z30 went through Chicago a few hours ago. It is likely on the road to me. I'll probably get it tomorrow or Tuesday.
    I think it went through Chicago so it can stop by my house and I can play with it for a while before it gets handed over to you! Can't wait to get mine on Verizon next week. I am so ready for this. So close, yet so far
    11-06-13 06:52 PM