Last night i was playing with my 1 week old z30 sta100-2 and the battery reached 0% and died. So i'm 'ok, lets plug it to the wall and go to sleep, so i can enjoy it again in the morning'. When i wake up i see the z30 showing a steady red led, i go unplug it and hold the power, but it only turns the led off so i hold it again and it start blinking red. I started getting worried, but it was time to go to work, so i put it back on charge hoping for a miracle. When i come back nothing changed, i try to connect it to Link and see that it sees it. I try to restore the os, but all three times i tried it says 'the process was unsucessful'. Btw it was on 10.3.1.821 destructive method.
    10-22-14 02:04 AM
    I don't know why blackberry won't solve this issue once and for all.
    This same thing happened to my PlayBook two years ago. It never came up. Sorry bro.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 03:23 AM
    Why run the battery down past 20%? It is not a good idea as it is very hard on the battery because they get very hot when charging from completely dead. How long did you "hold the power"?
    Unplug the charger from the wall.
    Unplug the phone from the charger.
    Plug the charger into the wall, NOT a power strip.
    Plug the phone in.
    The phone should start to charge.

If that doesn't work you may have to take it in to exchange it for a new one.
    10-22-14 03:29 AM
    It isn't Blackberry's fault that you mis-use equipment. The safety system on the Playbook keeps them form catching fire. It is not an "issue" that needs to be fixed. Did you try to "stack-charge" the batteries on your Playbook? (yes I said batteries...there are 2 of them inside the Playbooks)

P.S. I have fixed 4 Playbooks with dead batteries by stack charge method.
    I don't know why blackberry won't solve this issue once and for all.
    This same thing happened to my PlayBook two years ago. It never came up. Sorry bro.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 03:31 AM
    If you use the phone beyond that 0% battery level until it dies then you may have triggered the charging protection circuit, you will not be able to charge it until you reset the circuit. In a standard Li-ion battery you can do it by applying a voltage to the battery (e.g. "Stacking battery".

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 05:42 AM
    It isn't Blackberry's fault that you mis-use equipment. The safety system on the Playbook keeps them form catching fire. It is not an "issue" that needs to be fixed. Did you try to "stack-charge" the batteries on your Playbook? (yes I said batteries...there are 2 of them inside the Playbooks)

Ive had hundreds of other phones in the past, from all different manifacturers, i never had a problem like this. In general it is not a big deal that a phone battery goes beyond 0%
    What if i'm in a situation where I don't have any chance to charge my phone?
    10-22-14 11:46 AM
    Agreed. This is either a faulty device or bad design. I run all my devices down and have only experienced it on PB.

It's not stated a single place by BlackBerry that this is expected behavior so don't don't invent excuses for BlackBerry problems/issues.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 11:50 AM

It's a fault, dude. If that is a design, then it's a bad one. Sometimes, I sleep off with my battery above 50 percent and for whatever reason, the battery goes dead before morning. You can't be too careful. How come devices from other makers don't act this way? Between, that stack charging is a hit or miss . And yes, I stack charged for up to three months.

Posted via CB10
    jpvj likes this.
    10-22-14 12:59 PM
    It's a fault, dude. If that is a design, then it's a bad one. Sometimes, I sleep off with my battery above 50 percent and for whatever reason, the battery goes dead before morning. You can't be too careful. How come devices from other makers don't act this way? Between, that stack charging is a hit or miss . And yes, I stack charged for up to three months.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 01:03 PM
    Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 01:03 PM
    My Z10 has mysteriously died while in pocket and when it had around 45% charge... will try stack charging..
    Can anyone please let me know how's that done?
    Thanks guys!

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 11:38 AM
    My Z10 has mysteriously died while in pocket and when it had around 45% charge... will try stack charging..
    Can anyone please let me know how's that done?
    Thanks guys!

Posted via CB10
    Your case is a bit different, as you have a removable battery.
    so....
    Remove the battery.
    Plug the phone into a USB port on a computer.
    Power on the Z10.
    Once it starts going through the motions of starting up, pop the battery back in and let it sit for 20 minutes, then swap it over to a wall charger.
    11-04-14 12:02 PM
    Well I feel your pain.

Yesterday afternoon I was in a weak cell coverage area most of the day and my battery ran down quite quickly plus I was using the wifi and bluetooth quite a bit. Ran the battery down to around 5%. Plugged it into my laptop USB and expected it to charge up but didn't notice that the cable either didn't make a connection or for some reason it didn't charge. An hour or so later, I went to use it and it was dead. Connected to a wall charger and still wouldn't turn on. Got the flashing red LED a few times then nothing. Left it for three hours on charge and no luck. Since it wouldn't even start I really couldn't do a reset with the volume buttons. I tried everything, searched Crackberry and gave up. Went the whole day today without a phone, (boy that was painful), I had tried other chargers and cables so that was not the problem. Checked the USB port etc. Tonight I figured I would take it apart. Found a video on Youtube showing a screen replacement, I removed the screen and then disconnected the battery ribbon cable for a few seconds and then reconnected it. Reassembled and plugged in the charger. Started charging right away and turned back on after a few seconds. seems fine now. I think it needed a hard reboot like pulling the battery used to do on the Z10. Software may have locked up due to inability to restart completely and forced shutdown due to dead battery. Don't know but glad I was able to get it working again. I came very close to buying another one but $600 off contract is tough to swallow. I think if my battery gets that low again I will force it to shut off until I can charge it properly. Taking it apart is not that bad but not something that most people would not do and it will void your warranty. You have to remove the screen to access the ribbon cable to the battery.
    11-04-14 06:34 PM
    Well I feel your pain.

Yesterday afternoon I was in a weak cell coverage area most of the day and my battery ran down quite quickly plus I was using the wifi and bluetooth quite a bit. Ran the battery down to around 5%. Plugged it into my laptop USB and expected it to charge up but didn't notice that the cable either didn't make a connection or for some reason it didn't charge. An hour or so later, I went to use it and it was dead. Connected to a wall charger and still wouldn't turn on. Got the flashing red LED a few times then nothing. Left it for three hours on charge and no luck. Since it wouldn't even start I really couldn't do a reset with the volume buttons. I tried everything, searched Crackberry and gave up. Went the whole day today without a phone, (boy that was painful), I had tried other chargers and cables so that was not the problem. Checked the USB port etc. Tonight I figured I would take it apart. Found a video on Youtube showing a screen replacement, I removed the screen and then disconnected the battery ribbon cable for a few seconds and then reconnected it. Reassembled and plugged in the charger. Started charging right away and turned back on after a few seconds. seems fine now. I think it needed a hard reboot like pulling the battery used to do on the Z10. Software may have locked up due to inability to restart completely and forced shutdown due to dead battery. Don't know but glad I was able to get it working again. I came very close to buying another one but $600 off contract is tough to swallow. I think if my battery gets that low again I will force it to shut off until I can charge it properly. Taking it apart is not that bad but not something that most people would not do and it will void your warranty. You have to remove the screen to access the ribbon cable to the battery.
    That's a big job, I wouldn't be able to do it, i never did it lol
    11-05-14 01:15 AM
    I seem to recall having a similar problem with my brother's Playbook a couple of years ago. When plugging in the charger the red LED would flash a sequence a couple of times and then stay off, with no charging taking place.
    Somewhere I read that you should plug in, then unplug, then plug in etc etc a few times to get just a bit of charge into the battery while that LED is lit. Try doing that a half dozen times and see if it'll eventually boot up. It worked on the Playbook.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 12:14 PM