Oh, and as I like to reboot my phone every couple of days or so, I might program a tag to launch the apps I leave open as active frames.

J...

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 10:39 AM
    great, thanks... that's exactly what i wanted, some examples of the NFC use in everyday life (since here in Atlanta, USA i don't see options to pay using NFC... by the way, since i have never used this i ask, with the same tag you turn on and off what ever you want to toggle, right?

I plan to use it to put my phone in silent mode when I get to work. Tap a tag upon arrival to toggle notification profile. Tap again when I leave to toggle it back to normal.

Also am thinking of using it on bedside stand to enable alarm on days I need it.

I am sure I will think of other uses.

Jason

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 10:42 AM
    OK now someone please help me!

Someone posted here in this thread and recommended I use a program from BlackBerry World called 'shortcutme'

I asked if anyone knows if this software will give us more functionality than the native built in NFC program that's loaded into our z30.

Does anyone know? Although we can program tags, they are basic actions only. I would like a program that would allow me to say adjust font size on our phones with just a tap of the tag. This would be especially handy for inside the car.

Posted via CB10
    Here's the thread dedicated to SCM and authored by its creator: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-cards-772138/
    12-10-13 10:49 AM
    great, thanks... that's exactly what i wanted, some examples of the NFC use in everyday life (since here in Atlanta, USA i don't see options to pay using NFC... by the way, since i have never used this i ask, with the same tag you turn on and off what ever you want to toggle, right?
    Some actions, such as wifi, give you the choice to enable, disable or toggle. For notifications, you can enable it to toggle between normal and a selected mode.

There is a ton of potential. As soon as I receive my new tags I will be doing a lot of playing. The first batch I got were only 54byte which pretty much limits you to one action. I have just ordered some 512 byte tags. They should give me plenty of flexibility.

J...

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 12:04 PM
    reading more about it, i see these two apps: shortcutme and myprofilepro... seems like the former can execute more tasks at once, and the the first one it's more like a launcher, one specific task that you want to do... but yes, the NFC has potential to make your life easier if you take the time to program the tags...

Some actions, such as wifi, give you the choice to enable, disable or toggle. For notifications, you can enable it to toggle between normal and a selected mode.

There is a ton of potential. As soon as I receive my new tags I will be doing a lot of playing. The first batch I got were only 54byte which pretty much limits you to one action. I have just ordered some 512 byte tags. They should give me plenty of flexibility.

J...

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 12:47 PM
    I just got my nearWAVE NFC tags from tagger.ca and wanted to say that I highly recommend them.

They are stickers and are waterproof and bendable too. You can get them in black or white and their customer service is awesome. Free shipping from Canada if you spend $20+

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 01:02 PM
    free shipping in Canada, or from Canada to USA for instance?

I just got my nearWAVE NFC tags from tagger.ca and wanted to say that I highly recommend them.

They are stickers and are waterproof and bendable too. You can get them in black or white and their customer service is awesome. Free shipping from Canada if you spend $20+

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 01:23 PM
    free shipping in Canada, or from Canada to USA for instance?
    Free shipping to anywhere in the world. They ship from Canada.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 01:48 PM
    hahaha yes, i saw it myself, i got online to edit my message and there was your answer, thanks anyway... i will investigate a bit more before ordering, there are backorders right now anyway...

Free shipping to anywhere in the world. They ship from Canada.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 01:52 PM
    one in the car to turn my WIFI OFF and turn BLUEtoothie on!!!
    12-10-13 02:12 PM
    reading more about it, i see these two apps: shortcutme and myprofilepro... seems like the former can execute more tasks at once, and the the first one it's more like a launcher, one specific task that you want to do...
    I used to use ShortCutMe extensively on my 9930: it was incredible what you could do with it.
    I had a shortcut that I created with a macro it would run that: opened the browser to the Amazon sign-on page, moved the cursor position down over the password field and click into it, key in my password (which was stored in the macro in encrypted form) and then clicked enter.
    Since there was no Amazon application for the 9930 it was a perfect substitute.

Another shortcut (triggered by an NFC tag) opened an email, addressed it to my wife, and then keyed in the content I specified, followed by sending it. I used to use it all the time to let her know that I had left work and was on my way to pick her up from her workplace. With the tap of the NFC tag I had on my car's side console my wife would get the message to start wrapping up her day and get ready for my pickup.

Unfortunately the developer has not been given the tools he needs yet to make this happen in BB10, and it is not able to run headless yet either. Still hoping this happens eventually.
    12-10-13 03:29 PM
    Thanks for your detailed email.

Guess shortcutme at this point is no better than the included on board NFC tag editor that comes built in with the z30.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 03:51 PM
    Thanks for your detailed email.

Guess shortcutme at this point is no better than the included on board NFC tag editor that comes built in with the z30.

Posted via CB10
    I have not tried it yet but am going to check it out. Even a quick WiFi or Bluetooth toggle is handy.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 03:59 PM
    I was thinking of using one to switch back to normal notifications and open up the weather app in the morning, it's basically what I do as soon as I get out of bed and unplug it.

Do the setting actions work like macros (as in, you can see it quickly open up the menu and toggle the setting) or... does it toggle the settings 'behind the scenes'?

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 05:18 PM
    Damn.
    Just dug up the NFC stickers I used to use with my old 9930 running ShortCutMe and when I attempted to write to one using the baked-in NFC application on my Z30 I got the message that these particular NFC stickers are "Too small for the data you are trying to share".

They're only 64 bytes (Mifare Ultralight) but they worked for all sorts of triggered routines I programmed them to do previously.
    I can only guess that this native application for NFC on my Z30 writes 'heavier' than ShortCutMe wrote when it programmed these tags.

So this brings me to wondering what the ideal and / or maximum size NFC sticker for BB10 phones is.

***5 minutes later edit***
    I ended up getting a'TapWise' NFC nTag 10 Pack from Amazon.
    Now the waiting game begins.
    It will be nice using this very convenient feature again.
    Last edited by MisterShark; 12-10-13 at 07:15 PM.
    12-10-13 06:40 PM
    Damn.
    Just dug up the NFC stickers I used to use with my old 9930 running ShortCutMe and when I attempted to write to one using the baked-in NFC application on my Z30 I got the message that these particular NFC stickers are "Too small for the data you are trying to share".

They're only 64 bytes (Mifare Ultralight) but they worked for all sorts of triggered routines I programmed them to do previously.
    I can only guess that this native application for NFC on my Z30 writes 'heavier' than ShortCutMe wrote when it programmed these tags.

So this brings me to wondering what the ideal and / or maximum size NFC sticker for BB10 phones is.

Posted via CB10
    The rags from tagger.ca are 512bytes so says their website. Should be plenty for a few actions.

J...

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 06:45 PM
    Damn.

***5 minutes later edit***
    I ended up getting a'TapWise' NFC nTag 10 Pack from Amazon.
    Now the waiting game begins.
    It will be nice using this very convenient feature again.
    My understanding is, the tags created by ShortCutMe will work ONLY for your phone. To use very little tag space, they are writing a unique code that is translated into a lookup table by ShortCutMe (hence, only works for your phone, not generic devices without ShortCutMe).

So in the native NFC tag app, it would write like 3 actions if you wanted three things, each using up space.
    In the ShortCutMe, it might only have a text code like "0000001". And then in ShortCutMe, they have a table like:
    0000001= toggle wifi, turn off bluetooth, open maps
    0000002=turn off wifi
    0000003=blah

So the ShortCutMe is able to use the very small tags, but only for use cases for you only. if you wanted to make a tag that would work for any NFC device (ie, web url), you'd have to use the native NFC tag app to write generic commands.

At least that was how I understood it from reading the other NFC threads before 10.2 came out with improved NFC writing.
    12-10-13 08:19 PM
    I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread as my knowledge of NFC tags was limited to using it for payments. This thread really opened my eyes into the real world, non monetary application of these tags. I would love to read about more use cases if anyone's willing to share!

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 10:44 PM
    I had two tags set up for my 9900. Turn wifi / Bluetooth / Bridge off and the other tag for those back on.

*Three tags, launch CB too

Let's be honest, battery savings is minimal but impressing naive onlookers is the cardinal benefit here haha

I have several spares so I may set some new ones up today.

Posted from my Z30 via the CB app
    12-11-13 04:26 AM
    Here's another potential use...send a text to your wife telling you are leaving the office.

Tap and go!

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 12:05 PM
    Is there a way to turn off the notification when a tag is trying to perform a function?

It's that notification that states an application is trying to turn on or off your Bluetooth or whatever service you're trying to start or stop.
    12-11-13 12:35 PM
    Is there a way to turn off the notification when a tag is trying to perform a function?

It's that notification that states an application is trying to turn on or off your Bluetooth or whatever service you're trying to start or stop.
    On mine, the first time you tap a tag, it does prompt you, but there should be a checkbox asking if you if you want to disable notifications for that tag.

J...

Bought a bunch of NFC tags and love it!-img_00000088.png
    12-11-13 12:58 PM
    On mine, the first time you tap a tag, it does prompt you, but there should be a checkbox asking if you if you want to disable notifications for that tag.

J...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000088.png 
Views:	2233 
Size:	532.8 KB 
ID:	229070
    Are you running a leaked OS?

My pop up box looks exactly like that minus the check box. Weird. I'm running latest official OS release.

Is there something I may have set in security settings that would make mine appear as that?
    12-11-13 02:04 PM
    Are you running a leaked OS?

My pop up box looks exactly like that minus the check box. Weird. I'm running latest official OS release.

Is there something I may have set in security settings that would make mine appear as that?
    I am running a leak. 10.2.1.1055. Guess it is a new feature.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 02:22 PM
    I am running a leak. 10.2.1.1055. Guess it is a new feature.

Posted via CB10
    When it's a smart tag that's programmed to toggle on or off a connection I don't have check box, but when it's anything else I have that check box. Might be a security thing in OS.

Going to try using an app to do tags and see if that changes things. Right now using native smart tags.
    12-11-13 03:00 PM
73 123