BlackBerry's next flagship phone: the all-touchscreen A10
    Sprint has already committed to selling the A10, which is the successor to the Z10, in November, CNET has learned.

BlackBerry's next flagship smartphone, the all-touchscreen BlackBerry A10, will launch during the holidays, CNET has learned.
    The BlackBerry A10 is the successor to the Z10, and further builds upon the company's burgeoning lineup of devices. The A10 will occupy the highest tier, moving the Z10 and keyboard-equipped Q10 to the mid tier. The lower end Q5 will continue to occupy the lower, more affordable strata. By quickly expanding its product line, the company is hoping it can better cater to consumers of varying income levels.

The A10 continues BlackBerry's push to prove to consumers and the industry that it can move beyond the physical keyboard that has so long been its signature feature. Rather than focus on its traditional keyboard design, it opted to launch its next-generation BlackBerry 10 operating system with the all-touchscreen Z10, followed by the more conventional-looking Q10 (which T-Mobile launched on Wednesday). With the A10, the company hopes to keep up with the likes of the next iPhone and Samsung Galaxy S4.
    The A10 already has one U.S. carrier backing it. Sprint Nextel, which opted to skip the Z10, will sell the A10 in November, according to a person familiar with the carrier's launch plans. Sprint doesn't have an exclusive agreement with BlackBerry, so expect the A10 to be offered at other carriers. AT&T and Verizon Wireless were aboard with the Z10 and Q10. AllThingsD originally reported that Sprint would carry an all-touchscreen BlackBerry.
    The BlackBerry A10 is the device that CEO Thorsten Heins hinted at in an earlier interview with CNET.
    "There's one new product I'm excited about, but I can't really share it," Heins told CNET in March.
    Sprint, meanwhile, held off on the BlackBerry Z10 because it saw what was in the works and felt the A10 was worth the wait, the person said. While Sprint had expected to take some flack from BlackBerry fans, it opted to focus its resources behind the A10.
    BlackBerry was actually pressured to unveil the A10 at last month's BlackBerry Live conference, but the company wasn't yet ready to make the announcement. It likely didn't want to undercut the excitement for the Q10, which launched on Wednesday with T-Mobile and will be available on the other carriers in the coming days.

The developer version of the BlackBerry Z10. Unfortunately, there are no pictures of the A10 available.
    (Credit: Jason Cipriani/CNET)
    Sprint told CNET last month that its customers could expect more on the BlackBerry front beyond its commitment to sell the Q10. Sprint is expected to bring out the Q10 in the coming weeks.
    Representatives from Sprint and BlackBerry both declined to comment.
    BlackBerry Chief Operating Officer Kristian Tear, in an interview with CNET, declined to discuss the A10, but spoke in broad strokes about the future.
    "Innovation is a really, really important cornerstone for BlackBerry," he said. He hinted at a lot of innovation around the next BlackBerry, but wouldn't talk about them.
    The flagship device has been referred to as the A10, as well as the codename Astro, but the final name could possibly change. Given the current naming scheme, the A10 moniker could stick. While it will likely get an updated version of the BlackBerry 10 operating system, most of its improvements may come in the form of better specifications and higher quality design and build quality. The Q10, for example, shows a step up in design over the more generic-looking Z10.
    While BlackBerry considers the A10 its flagship device, Sprint doesn't currently list it as one of its top-tier devices for the holiday, although that can change, the person said.

BlackBerry's next flagship phone: The all-touchscreen A10 | Mobile - CNET News
    06-05-13 01:32 PM
    Great article! I think I'll know what I'll be asking Santa to put in my stocking this year.
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    06-05-13 01:40 PM
    I look forward to seeing more on the A10, but as far as the article claiming that Sprint is commited to selling the A10, welllll Verizon was commited early on to selling the Z10, and i beleive they were the last US carrier to get it. So yes I am sure a lot of people are looking forward to the A10, but lets not get to excited about who is going to have it until they open up orders.
    06-05-13 01:43 PM
    Nice! I do hope they switched to fullhd and use apps like in 720p till they are rebuilded for the a10.

To developers can decide themselves if they build a fullhd version or not

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 01:47 PM
    Wow... another slap in the face to the early adopters. The Z10 would only be 9 months old by that point! Even Samsung and apple release on a yearly schedule. No need to have a faster phone right now anyway. There aren't any apps that even utilize the full power of the Z10.
    Admorris, parshawakunj and sanjk1 like this.
    06-05-13 01:53 PM
    Will there be a new flagship keyboard phone to replace the Q10? What do the rumors say?
    I can upgrade in November, so I am very interested. Thank you.
    06-05-13 01:58 PM
    OHHHHHHHHHHHH. SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 02:02 PM
    I wonder what this will do to Z10 sales?

Interesting that this would leak this early? Obviously the Astro!

Swiped On My Zed10 Via CB10
    06-05-13 02:06 PM
    Love it. Bring it on BlackBerry. Love my Zed 10. This will bring more people back to BB!

The show has just begun!

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 02:08 PM
    Wow... another slap in the face to the early adopters. The Z10 would only be 9 months old by that point! Even Samsung and apple release on a yearly schedule. No need to have a faster phone right now anyway. There aren't any apps that even utilize the full power of the Z10.
    So what should they do, wait 2 years? It's a different (larger) sized phone and attracts different users.
    Rello and Prince_Poppycock like this.
    06-05-13 02:13 PM
    I just bought a second Z10 so I could give one to the missus but maybe now I'll just return it and she can have my Z10 when this comes out :-) Have to keep the best for myself afterall :-)
    theRock1975 likes this.
    06-05-13 02:20 PM
    Will there be a new flagship keyboard phone to replace the Q10? What do the rumors say?
    I can upgrade in November, so I am very interested. Thank you.
    Seems to be in line with unofficial docs
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry's next flagship phone: the all-touchscreen A10 (Confirmed by Sprint)-imageuploadedbycb-forums1364565211.390762.jpg  
    06-05-13 02:22 PM
    Seems to be in line with unofficial docs
    That slide was an April Fools joke.
    06-05-13 02:26 PM
    That slide was an April Fools joke.
    April Fools or not as of right now the bb10 Playbook (B10) release and when the U10 (A10) are supposedly released have been confirmed here as well as by some BlackBerry employees I know personally. Coincidence? Perhaps...
    overzeer likes this.
    06-05-13 02:34 PM
    Its a good size the limit for me. I'll check it out but will probably be my upgrade much later.PS4+bf4 and a new tv maybe a pink q5 is rest of tech purchases.

Oh its not a flagshjipt its bigger sized phone.
    06-05-13 02:37 PM
    Samsung releases at least half a dozen smartphones a year. And that's not even counting their WP smartphones.

Yes one flagship phone per year, but who ever said the Z10 was their flagship?

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 02:54 PM
    An prototype A10 was seen in the wild by a friend. 5" screen. Looks like the size of an S4.

This does not replace a Z10. It just fills out the product line.

I'd still take a Z10 over an A10. Size works better for me.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 03:03 PM
    BlackBerry is behind, BlackBerry dissed us loyal users, What another new phone only 9 months after the Z10. Get over it all the more the better. If they launch the mother of all BlackBerry 10 phones you can bet your **** that it ain't gonna be exclusive at Sprint. Not with thier crappy network!
    06-05-13 03:09 PM
    While this is great and exciting that BlackBerry is releasing another phone, I am concerned how this is being worded and how everything is being perceived - which is SUCH a challenge in it of itself. Isn't this supposed to be a "phablet" type phone (sidenote: these phablet phones are ridiculous and I would never want to use a phone that large)?

I just finished watching an MSNBC video where 3 people were just bashing BlackBerry and stating that the Q is a little too late for any more adopters. So I'm just picturing these ill-informed MSNBC idiots, with their cushy on-screen desk jobs being like "Oh? Another 'flagship phone'? Did they fail with the Z that they quickly tried to put out another one? That sounds like they're grasping by the straws!"

I'm just sick and tired of the bashing, but on the same side of things, I'm sick and tired of BB not delivering on target. I really want to them to succeed. I've been with them since the color-pixelated models and had a "light" button you had to press on (it was older than the 7200 series I think - I'm trying to remember which model it was)...

Kamika007z steps off of his soapbox...
    Last edited by Kamika007z; 06-05-13 at 03:50 PM.
    06-05-13 03:13 PM
    I wonder if it will keep the same dimensions as the z10 but take the bezel away and fill it with screen, or make it a larger phone.

And don't be so angry, this is a phablet, calling it a flagship phone is wrong. Sprint doesn't even classify it as a flagship. Although it can change
    06-05-13 03:23 PM
    Pretty sure this phone will be bigger than everyone is saying. Galaxy Note 2 size.
    06-05-13 03:41 PM
    Thats great!! I can't wait to see it!
    06-05-13 04:05 PM
    It seems that some folks are upset by this news which I find a little puzzling. Ok so the Z10 won't be king of the BBRY hill according to the article. So what? The way I see it if the report is to be believed this means that BBRY is still working to innovate and otherwise improve their product offerings while casting a wider net in hopes that more users will come over to BlackBerry from apple or droid by making a device that might appeal more to that crowd. I applaud BBRY for this.
    jrdba and Prince_Poppycock like this.
    06-05-13 04:07 PM
    Loving this news. Here in Barbados was saving for a Z10. Was wondering about the size after seeing the GSIV and falling for that size. Will be hoping now for an A10 under the Christmas tree now.
    06-05-13 04:12 PM
    There goes z10 sales. BB is walking a tight line by releasing this phone right now...especially with their miserable app selection. They are moving very close to cannibalizing themselves.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    06-05-13 05:09 PM
61 123