Dear o Dear I just compare 3 albums with Mp3 and Flac

Depeche mode Sound of the Universe
    U2 - Unforgatable Fire
    Therapy - A brief Crack of light

I just move flipping throw numbers MP3 and same number Flac and what a difference.

I allready like MP3 but Flac give the sound more body and is much clearer . I love it.

There is a real diiference in sound experience using flac. The speakers are unbelievable great.

The Z30 speaker quality is equal and more clearer than my bluetooth BOSE mini speakers
    bbtino and readeharfield like this.
    11-28-13 06:08 PM
    Dear o Dear I just compare 3 albums with Mp3 and Flac

Depeche mode Sound of the Universe
    U2 - Unforgatable Fire
    Therapy - A brief Crack of light

I just move flipping throw numbers MP3 and same number Flac and what a difference.

I allready like MP3 but Flac give the sound more body and is much clearer . I love it.

There is a real diiference in sound experience using flac. The speakers are unbelievable great.

The Z30 speaker quality is equal and more clearer than my bluetooth BOSE mini speakers
    FLAC files are lossless, but MP3's quality can vary. What was the bitrate of the MP3s you were comparing against the FLAC?
    11-28-13 06:14 PM
    Even 256VBR LAME or 320kbps LAME are noticeably different from lossless to many people, depending on playback device and headphones/speakers used. Some can't tell a difference, good for them, but for those that notice better quality audio with lossless, FLAC is an excellent choice.
    11-28-13 09:02 PM
    I have 256 mostly and some 320 but with Flac it seems more clearer so I just replace some new albums and good old stuff. I mean it's mostly music and it's all good but some songs from Depeche Mode are rocking my baby.

I also let people at work hear the difference from mp3 320 and flac and the like the flac more so it seems for the hearing flac is nice and maybe on other speakers mp3 is better. I have no clue. I do what I like and share it, because never used flac before.
    11-29-13 01:27 AM
    How do you get flac? Never heard of it. Do you have to convert mp3's?

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 07:13 AM
    Never ever convert MP3s to FLAC unless you want to fool yourself. FLAC came from lossless digital music downloads or CDs ripped losslessly using softwares like EAC, dBpoweramp, foobar2000, etc.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    11-29-13 07:46 AM
    If you want FLAC files, use ExactAudioCopy to get the pure, 100% lossless quality. This program not only will rip your files, but also give you a log file detailing the quality of your tracks.
    I'm part of a very "elite" torrenting site for music (had to do an IRC interview in order to get invited to the site) and have had multitude of experience dealing with all sorts of types of music files. To just let you know, unless you're using your computer and a high end soundcard with studio monitor headphones or speakers, the true potential of FLAC will be mostly unnoticed. My casual listening choice of file is a V0 (VBR) MP3 file.
    To give the OP a bit more information, if it is a properly ripped FLAC file converted to V0, the sound quality will be negligible, especially if you're listening to it on the Z30 speakers. This will save you valuable space, while not diminishing sound quality.
    11-29-13 08:31 AM
    V0 is actually the highest setting and quality you can achieve on a VBR-encoded MP3, but V2 setting is actually transparent enough to most people. If you have the time, do an ABX test first to know how much you can discern. Some even reported that a V6 setting sounds quite transparent to them! If that's the case, you're going to enjoy your music without having to load FLAC and 320 kbps music files on your SD, they take so much space.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    11-30-13 09:53 AM
    It comes down to the compression of the recording that your listening to in regards to sound quality. FLAC compressed music is at a higher bit rate and therefore takes up more data kps/mbs on your memory. It's closer to CD quality and has much more of a sound stage and transparency compared to mp3's at 320kps.
    So any compression to the FLAC File through a converter program to save space in data will only alter the recordings sound quality negatively. More compression of the file shrinks the sound stage available to hear by loss of data.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 10:04 PM
    FLAC compression settings doesn't affect the quality. It doesn't even alter the data. It all differs in how much your computer can process the data. Higher compression, like the level 8 FLAC compression takes more time to decode. Compare it to a level 5 or even level 1 compression and everything is still the same.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    12-02-13 09:20 AM
    You are comparing 50 MB files to 4 mb mp3. I will try some flac now on the Z30 now that you mentioned it. I am intrigued.
    12-02-13 09:24 AM
    The flac files are very big but I just replace some CD's and all of 2013 most CD-s are between 500-800 Mb
    12-02-13 11:25 AM
    FLAC isn't recommended if you're just a casual listener. Like I said, VBR MP3 -V 2 (190 kbps~) sounds great on most people. Or if you want, you can use AAC, which has a better compression algorithm, which makes a music file more smaller but quality's on par with high bit rate MP3s.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    12-03-13 02:54 AM
    FLAC isn't recommended if you're just a casual listener. Like I said, VBR MP3 -V 2 (190 kbps~) sounds great on most people. Or if you want, you can use AAC, which has a better compression algorithm, which makes a music file more smaller but quality's on par with high bit rate MP3s.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    V0 all the way! The low end bitrate for V2 is unacceptable haha, especially if the guy is claiming he hears a difference with FLAC. 170 as a low compared to 600 low on proper FLAC files.
    12-03-13 08:23 AM
    It sound better than the MP3 320 en 256 and it just the experience I have with some albums. It's fine with me if MP3, ACC is beter but no one can't take away the hearing I have with flac for some albums on my speakers. I also experience one number using my headset that sounds better with MP3.
    12-03-13 09:05 AM
    If you want FLAC files, use ExactAudioCopy to get the pure, 100% lossless quality. This program not only will rip your files, but also give you a log file detailing the quality of your tracks.
    I'm part of a very "elite" torrenting site for music (had to do an IRC interview in order to get invited to the site) and have had multitude of experience dealing with all sorts of types of music files. To just let you know, unless you're using your computer and a high end soundcard with studio monitor headphones or speakers, the true potential of FLAC will be mostly unnoticed. My casual listening choice of file is a V0 (VBR) MP3 file.
    To give the OP a bit more information, if it is a properly ripped FLAC file converted to V0, the sound quality will be negligible, especially if you're listening to it on the Z30 speakers. This will save you valuable space, while not diminishing sound quality.
    What or Waffles?

Most informative post in this thread BTW.
    12-03-13 09:11 AM
    What or Waffles?

Most informative post in this thread BTW.
    What. I was on Waffles for a while, but found What had better seeders + better selection.
    12-03-13 09:46 AM
    V0 all the way! The low end bitrate for V2 is unacceptable haha, especially if the guy is claiming he hears a difference with FLAC. 170 as a low compared to 600 low on proper FLAC files.
    You need to pass the ABX test first to test if you do really hear a difference. If you can't, you're just fooling yourself. Confirmation bias, anyone? I'm not against V0 though, I use some of them in classical and ambient tracks.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    12-03-13 10:16 AM
    You need to pass the ABX test first to test if you do really hear a difference. If you can't, you're just fooling yourself. Confirmation bias, anyone? I'm not against V0 though, I use some of them in classical and ambient tracks.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    Lol confirmation bias. I started at 128 back in the day when I had an old *** iPod, moved up to V2 and could still hear imperfections when listening to drum heavy tracks, moved on up to FLAC, and then dropped down to V0. Been sitting pretty here for 3 years now and couldn't be happier.
    12-03-13 10:21 AM
    Lol confirmation bias. I started at 128 back in the day when I had an old *** iPod, moved up to V2 and could still hear imperfections when listening to drum heavy tracks, moved on up to FLAC, and then dropped down to V0. Been sitting pretty here for 3 years now and couldn't be happier.
    And that was 3 years ago? LAME MP3 had several tweaks that makes it now sound good than before. Now, I'm not against what you prefer but if you do think you're a golden ear, why not do and pass the test? I've been studying psychoacoustics and such and I thought FLAC is the only way to go (it still is, but when using a portable device, not recommended) until I found out that I cannot hear any difference on a LAME 3.99.5 -V 2 encoded MP3 file to a FLAC, used an Alessandro MS1i headphone that's very revealing to mids and highs that are the first ones to be affected by artifacts due to bit rate. I cannot distinguish the FLAC and the -V 2 MP3. That's when I told myself that it's enough. At least I don't have to rip to a higher level setting just to have peace on my head that I'm using a V0.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    12-03-13 10:49 AM
    And that was 3 years ago? LAME MP3 had several tweaks that makes it now sound good than before. Now, I'm not against what you prefer but if you do think you're a golden ear, why not do and pass the test? I've been studying psychoacoustics and such and I thought FLAC is the only way to go (it still is, but when using a portable device, not recommended) until I found out that I cannot hear any difference on a LAME 3.99.5 -V 2 encoded MP3 file to a FLAC, used an Alessandro MS1i headphone that's very revealing to mids and highs that are the first ones to be affected by artifacts due to bit rate. I cannot distinguish the FLAC and the -V 2 MP3. That's when I told myself that it's enough. At least I don't have to rip to a higher level setting just to have peace on my head that I'm using a V0.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    And may I ask what interface you are using to listen to the test? Because it's not always about headphones
    12-03-13 10:54 AM
    I know. I used the stock headphone jack on my PC that time. What I'm saying is, if you're going to use your Z30, will you use a separate portable DAC and amplifier? Mostly not. So the OP just needs to achieve the level of transparency. If he can pass a V2 MP3 vs FLAC test, then I think that's the time when he can go with V0. And it is also very informative as it let's you know what frequencies can you still hear. But if he doesn't, he should stick to V2, or maybe go lower, because if he cannot discern the difference between a V4 or V6 MP3 vs a FLAC, there's really no point going lossless on portable. That will be just a waste of space and processing power.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    12-03-13 11:02 AM
    What. I was on Waffles for a while, but found What had better seeders + better selection.
    Nice. I'm on What as well. First time I've met a member of the community outside of the website.

On topic: I've always gotten flac as my source. The great thing about flac is by keeping the lossless source on your mainframe, you have the ability to downmix to whatever format you like. If I get V2 as my source, I can never get V0 quality if one day I decide that's what I want.

As for my mobile devices, I transcode my flac down to V2. It's the highest quality level I can fit my entire music collection on my 32GB mSD card. I'll go V0 when I get a 64GB card.
    12-03-13 01:34 PM
    Nice. I'm on What as well. First time I've met a member of the community outside of the website.

On topic: I've always gotten flac as my source. The great thing about flac is by keeping the lossless source on your mainframe, you have the ability to downmix to whatever format you like. If I get V2 as my source, I can never get V0 quality if one day I decide that's what I want.

As for my mobile devices, I transcode my flac down to V2. It's the highest quality level I can fit my entire music collection on my 32GB mSD card. I'll go V0 when I get a 64GB card.
    It's rare just even finding someone that knows about What! And yea I used to do the whole store FLAC then convert to V0, but my collection of music is a bit too cumbersome to do that (20000+ songs). But hey, whatever works.

I know. I used the stock headphone jack on my PC that time. What I'm saying is, if you're going to use your Z30, will you use a separate portable DAC and amplifier? Mostly not. So the OP just needs to achieve the level of transparency. If he can pass a V2 MP3 vs FLAC test, then I think that's the time when he can go with V0. And it is also very informative as it let's you know what frequencies can you still hear. But if he doesn't, he should stick to V2, or maybe go lower, because if he cannot discern the difference between a V4 or V6 MP3 vs a FLAC, there's really no point going lossless on portable. That will be just a waste of space and processing power.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    Oh okay, and yea fair enough about the space + processing power. All I'm saying is per your psychoacoustics, you also have to factor in self fulfilling prophecies: if you think there will be a difference (or if you don't), chances are you will hear a difference (or won't). Additionally, I had my hearing tested for the current job I'm at (the one where you press a button when you hear the frequency come on the headphones), and despite my ****ty eyesight, my hearing is way better than it should be for all frequency ranges (especially highs).
    12-04-13 07:49 AM
    All I'm saying is per your psychoacoustics, you also have to factor in self fulfilling prophecies: if you think there will be a difference (or if you don't), chances are you will hear a difference (or won't).
    This is where the double blind testing comes. It eliminates the "self-fulfilling prophesies" or confirmation bias. And when ran in just a very limited amount of trials, eg. 12 or 15, it eliminates the probability theory that multiple trials in large number can be only just luck.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    12-04-13 09:31 AM
26 12