When the specs for the 9850 were leaked, I was pretty upset. It was July 2011 and the BB stock was hovering around $30, The device was delayed for months and the specs were less than inspiring. Essentially it was the same specs as the Droid Incredible which had debuted almost 2 years earlier, except with a plastic screen and allot less application memory, no adobe flash and a retail price hovering around $250 more than the DI and lots more expensive than most Androids and about the same price as the I-phone. The 9850 and 9900 were TH's babies and they flopped. The Z10 is a great device and on-par with modern mid-tier Smart Phones, though overpriced for a device in that range. But the A-10 is a step back toward the 9850/9900 debacle and another nail in a pretty tight coffin. Shares of BB are now hovering around $9. Plans to sell a device in 4-6 months with a premium price tag that is running the same hardware as a mid tier device (Sony Experia SP) that was released more than 6 months prior is not a winning strategy.
    07-15-13 06:20 PM
    While this has essentially identical specs to the Note 2, the thing I'm worried about is the future. Due to the strict resolution it doesn't look like we will he getting a 1080p BB10 phone in the foreseeable future. Right now it's not too much of an issue, a lot of good 720 screens out there (kinda sorta including Z10) but the future will have phones from the competition having 1080p standard. Then what does BlackBerry do?
    Z10 is not 720P its resolution is actually a bit higher.
    07-15-13 06:22 PM
    Most people want a better screen for bragging rights and solely that. Practicality has no place in a bragging competition.
    I heard people bragging about bigger screens. And only tech enthousiaste bragging about the resolution of their screen. Look at Apple how they twisted a lower resolution screen into something called "retina" display. That's what BlackBerry needs to do... publish less specs and concentrate on what it can do

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-15-13 06:28 PM
    While this has essentially identical specs to the Note 2, the thing I'm worried about is the future. Due to the strict resolution it doesn't look like we will he getting a 1080p BB10 phone in the foreseeable future. Right now it's not too much of an issue, a lot of good 720 screens out there (kinda sorta including Z10) but the future will have phones from the competition having 1080p standard. Then what does BlackBerry do?
    Note2 - the Note 2? That has a quad core 1.6 and a 5.5" display Not sure what you are talking about. Plus a far more mature OS. It is an incredibly capable device. Love my Z-10; sure the A-10 is very nice, but it is no Note 2, and G-d help BB if they try to price it that way.
    Saiga and scorpiodsu like this.
    07-15-13 06:28 PM
    I read a lot of people talking about 2012 or 2011 specs for 2013... remember that you are not buying hardware only ! people tend to forget that they are also buying software. I know, better specs makes it more impressive. But 10.2 and future updates is what you are buying

Posted via CB10
    OldSkoolVWLover and SDTRMG like this.
    07-15-13 06:36 PM
    Plus a far more mature OS.
    You had me up until here.... I have an Android tablet running Jelly Bean 4.2.2. To call JB 4.2.2 more mature than BB 10.1 is funny to me.

I have devices running both platforms and NEITHER fills all my needs. But good for you, if you think Android JB is the shiznizzle....
    sf49ers and SDTRMG like this.
    07-15-13 06:40 PM
    for less $ consumers could probably get an S4 or Note 3 with higher specs.

now i get what TH meant by "the market is very competitive"
    07-15-13 06:40 PM
    You had me up until here.... I have an Android tablet running Jelly Bean 4.2.2. To call JB 4.2.2 more mature than BB 10.1 is funny to me.

I have devices running both platforms and NEITHER fills all my needs. But good for you, if you think Android JB is the shiznizzle....
    Have you used the Note2? I have. It is pretty impressive. JB is OK. I have 3 devices running ICS and I think they run allot nicer, but Android in general is far more mature.
    07-15-13 06:42 PM
    I read a lot of people talking about 2012 or 2011 specs for 2013... remember that you are not buying hardware only ! people tend to forget that they are also buying software. I know, better specs makes it more impressive. But 10.2 and future updates is what you are buying

Posted via CB10
    Bob - not sure how long you've been a BB user. I have been so for more than a decade. BB's get OS updates sometimes as long as 2 years out. But rarely if ever bumped up to a higher OS. Hence the last 5 years. OS 4 devices did not get OS5. Most OS 5 devices, even those promised (See 9550) did not get OS6. No OS 6 got OS 7 or 7.1. No OS7 or OS7.1 devices got BB10 (see also Playbook). Trust me, you're buying the hardware.
    Rello, scorpiodsu and ADRENALIN101 like this.
    07-15-13 06:45 PM
    Have you used the Note2? I have. It is pretty impressive. JB is OK. I have 3 devices running ICS and I think they run allot nicer, but Android in general is far more mature.
    I have an Asus TF101 running a root JB - TeamEOS and KatKernel.

It's Jelly Bean 4.2.2 and it runs just fine on my tablet... I also have a dusty iPhone 4S sitting on a shelf that I don't use...

All things being equal I still prefer BlackBerry 10... Just a choice brother.
    07-15-13 06:57 PM
    Lol I think it's funny no one has questioned the information presented but I think it's more because people just expect this from BB at this point. Them specs disappoint me. Like someone else said, I expect a "flagship" device to show what a company can really do. 720p on a 5" device isn't what I wanted to see but I can live with it as long as they use a top notch screen. Dual core though.....still 2 GB of RAM....its barely a better device than the Z10 in my opinion. It's not the powerhouse that everyone know, or rather thinks BB is capable of
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    07-15-13 07:00 PM
    Bob - not sure how long you've been a BB user. I have been so for more than a decade. BB's get OS updates sometimes as long as 2 years out. But rarely if ever bumped up to a higher OS. Hence the last 5 years. OS 4 devices did not get OS5. Most OS 5 devices, even those promised (See 9550) did not get OS6. No OS 6 got OS 7 or 7.1. No OS7 or OS7.1 devices got BB10 (see also Playbook). Trust me, you're buying the hardware.
    EXACTLY!!!!

I been a BB user for almost 10 years and I think their support for their devices is terrible. That's just me though. My Curve 8900 got upgraded to OS5 and nothing else. My 9900 got 7.1 and that's it. My $700 64 GB Playbook.....lol ain't even gonna talk about that one. If u buy BB's its best u don't buy them for what they'll do in the future...it has yet to work for me
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    07-15-13 07:11 PM
    If you are buying hardware, you are buying a laptop or a desktop and you are putting the OS you want on it. When you buy a BlackBerry phone, there is only one choice of OS... and it's not free to develop!

Posted via CB10
    RafiqK and SDTRMG like this.
    07-15-13 07:57 PM
    1280x720, 16gb, dual core and 8 mp camera... and overpriced?
    The media is going to kill it.
    07-15-13 08:05 PM
    Raise up the ram please... to at least 3gb for extra multitasking.. hehe and lower down the price .

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 08:09 PM
    1280x720, 16gb, dual core and 8 mp camera... and overpriced?
    The media is going to kill it.
    1280x720 is for battery efficiency and less work for devs.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-15-13 08:10 PM
    You can't be serious? If you don't know the difference between bbos n bb10 code wise and the hardware in them and also in the playbook, your argument stands no ground.

Bbos devices couldn't handle nor run bb10 even if they wanted them to, the hardware couldn't handle it which is why they weren't upgraded.
    Bb10 is a written from the ground up, its up a upgrade to bbos. The playbook also could handle running bb10, bb10 as a os has more in it the the playbook is did, they would have to cripple the os to get it on there and everyone would complain, bb10 couldn't even run well on the dec devices with 1gb ram which why they choose to upgrade to 2gbs.
    07-15-13 08:41 PM
    Not quite identical - the Note 2 has a quad-core CPU, although it's running at 1.6GHz I believe. Much larger battery too (3100 mAh), although the Note 2 is a larger phone in general so I guess they can afford to cram in more battery. Pretty similar otherwise though, but with the Note 3 set to launch around the same time as the Aristo, that's a little worrying.
    07-15-13 08:47 PM
    Java based OS vs. QNX = your point is moot
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-15-13 08:51 PM
    Note2 - the Note 2? That has a quad core 1.6 and a 5.5" display Not sure what you are talking about. Plus a far more mature OS. It is an incredibly capable device. Love my Z-10; sure the A-10 is very nice, but it is no Note 2, and G-d help BB if they try to price it that way.
    The "rumored" A10 specs suggest a QUAD CORE GPU so technically you are only half right
    Last edited by thisiscjay; 07-15-13 at 09:08 PM.
    07-15-13 08:53 PM
    I heard people bragging about bigger screens. And only tech enthousiaste bragging about the resolution of their screen. Look at Apple how they twisted a lower resolution screen into something called "retina" display. That's what BlackBerry needs to do... publish less specs and concentrate on what it can do

Posted via CB10
    The real issue is BlackBerry has a branding problem and their marketing stinks. Apple can twist anything and make it sound good because Apple is a trusted brand. BlackBerry is not in this category yet.

If they are claiming that this is a flagship phone then the specs should be on par with flagship phones that are coming. Between sales folks saying this other phone has more mega pixels and real 1080p HD resolution and people just making comparisons based on a chart, or looking at a review site like CNET for research, they will lose potential sales if these are the specs.

Posted via me on my Z10
    07-15-13 08:57 PM
    The real issue is BlackBerry has a branding problem and their marketing stinks. Apple can twist anything and make it sound good because Apple is a trusted brand. BlackBerry is not in this category yet.

If they are claiming that this is a flagship phone then the specs should be on par with flagship phones that are coming. Between sales folks saying this other phone has more mega pixels and real 1080p HD resolution and people just making comparisons based on a chart, or looking at a review site like CNET for research, they will lose potential sales if these are the specs.

Posted via me on my Z10
    If they get good a good marketing campaign going, they can be there by the end of the year. And I am not talking about spending billions on TV advertising like some hear on this forum are talking about. I am talking about image, perception. F1 sponsorship is a good start.

BlackBerry has to get this image of selling hardware and replace it with the idea that they are selling a lifestyle and an experience.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-15-13 09:04 PM
    not a surprise... you know what? I'm going to support BlackBerry as I have been doing.. bought the PlayBook and two Z10 me and my Gf. and you know what? I wouldn't mind going A10.. #SupportBlackBerry #RideToghetherDieTogheter #BlackBerry10 till they Die

Posted using Z10 Stl100-1 10.1.0.4543
    07-15-13 09:05 PM
    BlackBerry failed me. Nothing special

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 09:06 PM
    If they get good a good marketing campaign going, they can be there by the end of the year. And I am not talking about spending billions on TV advertising like some hear on this forum are talking about. I am talking about image, perception. F1 sponsorship is a good start.

BlackBerry has to get this image of selling hardware and replace it with the idea that they are selling a lifestyle and an experience.

Posted via CB10
    This +100000
    07-15-13 09:17 PM
181 ... 23456 ...