Please read before saying anything ....I am the first owner..

Posted via CB10
    No you are not the first if you bought it off eBay from a non-authorized reseller. The person that first paid for the device, activated or not is the first owner.
    donmateo likes this.
    01-09-14 07:40 PM
    As smart as you say you are, that's not how it works. You need to research the warranty before making a purchase from a non-authorized dealer/seller.
    BlackBerry contacts the Carriers to deal with defective devices. The Carriers are paid for the warranty service like car manufactures do (pay the dealer for repairs). Apple does it differently. Because Apple was a retail/consumer centric company from the start, they have the customer support model nailed down. BlackBerry started as a business device and moved in to customer side and instead of developing it's own support network, they contract the Carriers to do it.

Two different companies, two different support models.
    K Jerky! Thanks for explaining nothing.

Posted via CB10
    shupor likes this.
    01-09-14 07:53 PM
    I think that the real issue here is that the OP failed to understand how BlackBerry's warranty system works. Every company is different and it is up to YOU as the consumer to educate yourself pre-purchase. Sucks that the phone died, but this is simply a lack of due diligence, IMO.
    raino and NtotheK like this.
    01-09-14 09:48 PM
    Haven't read through the whole thread, but BBRY absolutely threw their customers under the bus with the release of the BB10 devices. I called them early in 2013 and politely refused to take no for an answer from the Filipino CS until they transferred me to KW. There, a BBRY employee told me that all warranty service for BBRY products is to be handled by the 'point of sale entity'. He told me that he realized it wasn't optimal for customers, and that if you had a really bad issue and the carrier was giving you the runaround, you could fight your way through the CS to get to their office, and fight some more, and eventually your problem would get taken care of by BBRY directly.

Now... do you really think that Bell or Telus are the people you want to be dealing with if you have an issue? The OP problem has nothing to do with whether s/he knew that a third party sale might void warranty. As an aside, in AAPL world, warranty travels with the unit, and they don't ask you any questions if you have a warranty protected unit that fails. They just replace it. No haggling with your carrier. I'm not really a huge fan of AAPL, but you cannot deny that their warranty coverage is amazing.

There were several threads early in 2013 by people who got a bad Z10, returned it to RoBellUs, only to discover that the replacement was a refurb. So you pay $700 tax in for a new phone, it goes down and you get a refurn as a replacement. Yep, that's not BBRY, it's RoBellUs, but the point is that BBRY threw their customers under the bus by even considering a system which would allow this sort of thing.
    01-10-14 01:05 AM
    BlackBerry has not let me down when it come to customer service. They even shipped me a new Playbook recently and I have had this thing forever. I did purchase the device directly from their website and maybe that is the catch. They took my serial Number sent me a box and before I knew it I had it up and running. Zagg even sent me a replacement screen protector for free. Their SPs are guaranteed for life
    01-10-14 02:47 AM
    The thing is, when you buy an apple product, as soon as you open it it's not covered anymore in the store... you ABSOLUTELY need to go to an apple store for a replacement/refund within the first 30 days even...
    FUD
    01-10-14 05:04 AM
    No you are not the first if you bought it off eBay from a non-authorized reseller. The person that first paid for the device, activated or not is the first owner.
    Yeeeeep... he's trying to say that im cross-sighted or maybe dumb.

I think this guy has a problem... just trying to get people's attention. rofl.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 06:12 AM
    Oooh- YOU must be SOOO happy- cause you "call" BlackBerry... In Germany there�s NO phone-number registered from BlackBerry (Customer-Support)... The only possibility to "contact" Blackberry is via seller or net-provider! :-(
    01-10-14 06:29 AM
    So then all carriers are first owners?
    shupor and mmmac like this.
    01-10-14 06:46 AM
    I think that the real issue here is that the OP failed to understand how BlackBerry's warranty system works. Every company is different and it is up to YOU as the consumer to educate yourself pre-purchase. Sucks that the phone died, but this is simply a lack of due diligence, IMO.
    BB warranty works... for them... but sucks for the rest of us. Their warranty (when read and understood) just tells you how much they believe in their product. Otherwise any company that respects consumers hard earned money they spend for their product would do what apple does.
    shupor likes this.
    01-10-14 07:12 AM
    this is simply a lack of due diligence, IMO.

Agreed!!! Due diligence aside OP is right as Apple's product support is far more favorable to the end user than BlackBerry's. I have gotten several out of warranty devices replaced for next to nothing with Apple as compared with a Z30 that is not even a year old that OP is stuck with.

That IMO is superior product support
    kbz1960 and mmmac like this.
    01-10-14 09:17 AM
    Just remember how much you pay for an Apple device. Unfortunately not all vendors have the luxury of beeing able to charge a premium price.
    what are u talkin about? you act like BB is charging less. how much did the playbook cost? z10? q10? z30? you act like they came out 200. they were FORCED to be 200 cause no one wanted their product.

this notion that BB charge less is silly and ppl are still using this argument against apple. apple dont need to lower their price because ppl are willing to buy it. you act like BB didnt start off the phone at 599 and tablet at 499.
    01-10-14 10:41 AM
    I've never had to deal with BlackBerry warranty. Their products have all lasted me without the need of repair or replacement. The one time I did have a BlackBerry device replaced, it wasn't really needed and was handled by the carrier. I'm talking about the Storm 2, which had a new model released shortly after the first batch that I bought. I didn't need to have it replaced, but I wanted the supposedly improved screen so I went to VZW for an exchange.

The only other issue I've had was with my wife's PlayBook. It was partially her fault though. She put the charging cord in upside down and broke the port. Stupid USB OTG port that never worked, but did break PlayBooks. RIM gave us all of our PlayBooks for free, so we never bothered with having that broken one fixed. Ended up giving it away.

Of the 50+ BlackBerry devices I've owned. None have broke on their own. There have been several that were dropped, one that was ran over by a truck and couple that went swimming, but none self destructed. I'd rather have products that last a long on their own then have a good warranty any day.
    01-10-14 10:41 AM
    This is really strange cause I've never had issues with returning anything to Blackberry. I've returned 2 playbooks (one was even out of warranty). All I need to do was provide the serial number (no receipt whatsoever), demonstrate over the phone the issue with the defective playbook, listen to some directions from the customer rep to fix the situation and when that didn't work Blackberry initiated the return.

Their only caution they stated to me was that when they reviewed the defective product and the problem was determined to lie out side their warranty policy (meaning the user cause the issue) that I would be charged. But that's it. Both times I got a working playbook back to me in less than a week. Very happy overall with their service.

But overall a pleasant experience for an unpleasant situation. Both reps were very respectful and helpful and I was very professional when communicating my issue to them.
    Just wondering how did you get in contact with BlackBerry? I'm trying to find a contact number and I can't find anything :/
    01-10-14 10:48 AM
    I've never had to deal with BlackBerry warranty. Their products have all lasted me without the need of repair or replacement. The one time I did have a BlackBerry device replaced, it wasn't really needed and was handled by the carrier. I'm talking about the Storm 2, which had a new model released shortly after the first batch that I bought. I didn't need to have it replaced, but I wanted the supposedly improved screen so I went to VZW for an exchange.

The only other issue I've had was with my wife's PlayBook. It was partially her fault though. She put the charging cord in upside down and broke the port. Stupid USB OTG port that never worked, but did break PlayBooks. RIM gave us all of our PlayBooks for free, so we never bothered with having that broken one fixed. Ended up giving it away.

Of the 50+ BlackBerry devices I've owned. None have broke on their own. There have been several that were os ran over by a truck and couple that went swimming, but none self destructed. I'd rather have products that last a long on their own then have a good warranty any day.
    Until you happen to get a bad one. No one makes everything perfect. I'm sure you wouldn't be happy if your product wasn't good and didn't have any warranty.
    Saiga likes this.
    01-10-14 10:57 AM
    Until you happen to get a bad one. No one makes everything perfect. I'm sure you wouldn't be happy if your product wasn't good and didn't have any warranty.
    True. There can be lemons in any product run. Mistakes do happen.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-10-14 11:07 AM
    So then all carriers are first owners?
    You are correct. If you purchase the phone from a carrier or retailer you are their customer and in turn they are a customer of BlackBerry. You have to remember BlackBerry never sold directly to consumers until the PlayBook was released, it was always through enterprise or carriers. Things are just starting to change but it won't be any better for the everyday consumers sorry. ALWAYS BUY FROM AN AUTHORIZED RETAILER.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 11:45 AM
    funny how bb fans defend their poor cs. i like my z10 but i have lots of apple stuff too and they are top notch on warranty and even out of warranty. my daughter dropped my ipad after it was out of warranty, called apple and they offered me a replacement at half price. they shipped me the new one with a prepaid return slip on the package. i just swapped them out, no problem no hassle. that's customer service. now mt friend had an issue with his z10 and blackberry took a month and a half to repair it. it was two months old. now bb has millions of dollars in z10s theyce written down and they can't do a swap???? seriously? their cs is pathetic and if it doesnt change they willl drive away their remaining loyal customers
    What is the point of that? Where you there? Did you sit beside them and hold their hand so you have intimate knowledge as to their experience?
    01-10-14 12:14 PM
    BB warranty works... for them... but sucks for the rest of us. Their warranty (when read and understood) just tells you how much they believe in their product. Otherwise any company that respects consumers hard earned money they spend for their product would do what apple does.
    ..hmmm I see. Ok then....
    01-10-14 12:16 PM
    Agreed!!! Due diligence aside OP is right as Apple's product support is far more favorable to the end user than BlackBerry's. I have gotten several out of warranty devices replaced for next to nothing with Apple as compared with a Z30 that is not even a year old that OP is stuck with.

That IMO is superior product support
    I would agree with you...but this isn't the thread to set due diligence aside
    01-10-14 12:21 PM
    The thing is, don't think we are critical of BB CS just because we are bored here. They should start changing things around to a better, and learning from better (at least currently better). It is time for them to stop being ignorant and try to listen at least voice of BB consumers that stayed faithful so far, including myself. Ignorance is what brought them where they are in mobile world right now. I am getting sick and tired of their silence and coming here to read rumors or install leaks and rest of BB fans that keep trying to justify every single good or wrong business decision. Love my Z10 but I want also tablets, watches, tons of other accessories etc. that works seamlessly. But I know that i'll be now attacked by some ppl saying who needs BB watch, or millions of apps, or even simply Skype to work properly, or great product such as BB Link, or simply call by clicking on a phone number while browsing sites (that still does work on BBOS) or this or that. Just don't understand why we always settle for hardly enough....
    Last edited by fadmin; 01-10-14 at 03:00 PM.
    01-10-14 02:40 PM
    The thing is, don't think we are critical of BB CS just because we are bored here. They should start changing things around to a better, and learning from better (at least currently better). It is time for them to stop being ignorant and try to listen at least voice of BB consumers that stayed faithful so far, including myself. Ignorance is what brought them where they are in mobile world right now. I am getting sick and tired of their silence and coming here to read rumors or install leaks and rest of BB fans that keep trying to justify every single good or wrong business decision. Love my Z10 but I want also tablets, watches, tons of other accessories etc. that works seamlessly. But I know that i'll be now attacked by some ppl saying who needs BB watch, or millions of apps, or even simply Skype to work properly, or great product such as BB Link, or simply call by clicking on a phone number while browsing sites (that still does work on BBOS) or this or that. Just don't understand why we always settle for hardly enough....
    Well, recent history has shown us that listening to customers is the worst thing you can do. You're better off making a phone of a certain size, restricting where your customers can buy apps, and keeping high prices.
    01-10-14 03:18 PM
    I would agree with you...but this isn't the thread to set due diligence aside
    That attitude is one of the reasons BlackBerry is in the situation it's in at the moment. The customer is always wrong or has made some mistakes that's why they won't stand behind a device 2.5 months old despite carrier escalation!

Anyway lesson learned - albeit painful. Unfortunately I will now stop recommending any BlackBerry devices to my staff because of this though which is unfortunate because the platform is great.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 03:21 PM
    Anyway lesson learned - albeit painful. Unfortunately I will now stop recommending any BlackBerry devices to my staff because of this though which is unfortunate because the platform is great.
    Maybe you should stop recommending Apple products as well because of the service I received:

I went to a local Apple Store to order a MacBook Air. I wanted 8 GB instead of the default 4 GB of RAM. (Since the Air's are non-expandable, they couldn't just drop in another 4 GB.) The store had none in stock and said I would have to special order it, through their online store. I was directed to an iMac in the store to place the order since they couldn't take orders at the registers(!). Upon placing the order, the system said it would take up to 18 days to fulfill. Since I was going to be in another city, 500 miles away, in two weeks, I had the order shipped to the Apple Store in the other city. Four days later, I get an email that says the Air is available for pick-up in the other store. I went to the original Apple Store and asked them to redirect the Air to their store so I could have it sooner. They told me that it wasn't possible. I would need to cancel the original order, get a refund (since part of the purchase was from a gift card), and buy another one, to be shipped to their store. They said it would take a few days to get the refund and another few days to receive the Air, which would put me back at being in the other city. They recommended that I wait and pick up the order at the other store, which I did.

1. Why are 8 GB Air's "special orders"? Because there are no RAM slots and they don't stock 8 GB units.
    2. Why can't I purchase at the register?
    3. Why is the fulfillment estimate so completely off? To impress me that instead of 18 days, it only takes 4 days? This only messed up my plans.
    4. Why can't orders be redirected? It's Apple Store to Apple Store, not to some address of my choosing.

This whole problem could have been solved if the Apple Store actually stocked 8 GB MacBook Air's.
    01-10-14 04:02 PM
    The thing is, when you buy an apple product, as soon as you open it it's not covered anymore in the store... you ABSOLUTELY need to go to an apple store for a replacement/refund within the first 30 days even...

Gosh the closest apple store is more than 500km from my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a cellphone retailer in my city and all but when you buy from him and go back to him... he's like oh I can't do anything go to apple...
    What are you talking about? Apple will fix your device or replace it free of charge if it's not your fault. Hell, sometimes they'll repair for free even if it's waterdamage or out of warranty. Easily the best customer service out there, but that's because they can afford to do it (because they're making gobs on the app store) and they need to do it (to keep you in their App/itunes ecosystem).
    01-10-14 04:15 PM
132 ... 3456