Please read before saying anything ....I am the first owner..

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry, but the way I look at it you weren't the first owner.
    Original owner/manufacturer: Blackberry
    First owner: Ebay store you bought it from
    Second owner: you

For service providers its like this:
    Manufacturer: Blackberry
    Original Owner: Verizon (or whatever service provider placed the order)
    First Consumer Owner: the user

That being said, the phone is less then a year old and Blackberry should absolutely swap it. But I can see the corporate position which is that you purchased the phone from an unauthorized reseller.

If Blackberry had the cash like an Apple or Nordstroms, it would have customer service like they do, but they don't.
    01-09-14 01:03 PM
    Has nothing to do with it. What about Nokia and HTC - they also warrant their product.

Stop being such a fanboy

Posted via CB10
    Sorry to hear you're having trouble. No doubt, Apple does offer great support on the consumer end through their Apple stores.

The Rogers link above seems to be working, fyi.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...OfWarranty_1_1

Beyond that, have you tried following @BlackBerryHelp on Twitter and contacting them? Perhaps they can help you track the carrier through the IMEI, etc. I'd lay out your case online to them. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Good luck!
    01-09-14 01:06 PM
    new to Blackberry phones, so far no problems but sounds customer support might not be the best,
    as a old Nokia owner they had two years guarantee in Europe real customer support,
    never had one Nokia phone fail in ten years, lets hope Blackberry are as good quality.
    01-09-14 01:06 PM
    Has nothing to do with it. What about Nokia and HTC - they also warrant their product.

Stop being such a fanboy

Posted via CB10
    Nokia is a poor example, you would have to be the first end-user (which to blackberry's eyes, was the ebay store you bought your phone from), and a receipt, so not like apple, at all.

from nokias website:
    " The limited warranty extends only to the original purchaser (�Consumer�) of the Product and is not assignable or transferable to any subsequent purchaser/end-user."

"Upon request from Nokia, the Consumer must prove the date of the original purchase of the Product by a dated bill of sale or dated itemized receipt"

not to mention:
    "he limited warranty extends only to Consumers who purchase the Product in
    the United States of America."

http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/...arranty_en.pdf
    01-09-14 01:07 PM
    The tale of two phones - with the same issue. The reason I have two dead devices is that I run a small IT department.

Blackberry z30 - won't power on at all - flashing red led - 2.5 months old
    Apple iPhone 5 - won't power on at all - 13 months old

Blackberry:
    I call Blackberry, get the complete runaround telling me that I should call my carrier vs. where I bought the phone. Ultimately I'm left with no solution because I bought the phone from an eBay store. The phone is less than 3 months old.

Apple:
    I call Apple, get booked into a local store for an assessment at a "Genius Bar". The phone is on the spot replaced without me showing proof of purchase or anything.

Anyways, I find it abhorrent that Blackberry will not stand behind a phone that is clearly not out of the warranty period because of a technicality.

On this one:
    Apple Blackberry
    As much as i hate to admit it Apple's customer service is light years ahead of any other tech company out there. From prompt and courteous service to next to nothing replacement costs on out of warranty devices. Hat off to Apple
    milo53 and anand_ma like this.
    01-09-14 01:12 PM
    Nokia is a poor example, you would have to be the first end-user (which to blackberry's eyes, was the ebay store you bought your phone from), and a receipt, so not like apple, at all.

from nokias website:
    "When making a Limited Warranty claim you have to present: a) the Product (or affected part thereto), b) the legible and unmodified original proof of purchase, which clearly indicates the name and address of the seller, the date and place of purchase, the product type and the IMEI or other serial number.

This Limited Warranty extends only to the original first end-user of the Product and is not assignable or transferable to any subsequent purchaser/end-user."

Support - - Nokia - India
    in Europe we have very strong consumer protection laws, the retailer is responsible.and manufacturer
    limited warranty is over ridden by EU law good thing.
    01-09-14 01:14 PM
    Apple backs their products. I had a coworker buy an iPhone, head to another store in the same mall and buy a case for it. As she was showing the phone to a friend at work, the craptacular case she bought sent her iPhone right to the ground. Boom! Busted screen and now worthless. She had the phone less than an hour. Here is how her visit with a Genius went;

Shelly (Name changed to protect her identity): H-hey, I just bought an iPhone from this store about an hour ago.

Genius: That's great, are you having an issue with it?

Shelly: Yes, see, after buying the phone, I went to another store and bought a case for it. As I was pulling my phone out, the case fell apart and my phone slipped out and fell to the floor (she holds up the device so he can see it)

At this point, I get bored and walk over to the iPads. Start changing all the wallpapers to Nicolas Cage. Not even into my 5th pad, she taps me on the shoulder and says we can leave. I'm thinking she is screwed. Shows me her new phone, and they gave her 20% off a case!!

BlackBerry has never really sold direct......I don't care! They do now? Right?. BlackBerry wants to remain relevant, gain back lost market share? Then they will find a way to honour the warranties on their devices. It's that simple. I see a lot of talk how Thor I mean Chen is going to save BlackBerry. I still don't see it. A happy customer is a repeat customer. If you want to sell something, then you had better back it.
    shupor, milo53 and anand_ma like this.
    01-09-14 01:15 PM
    Well despite what they've specified there, we had a similar situation where a colleague here bought a Nokia Windows phone and was not the original owner - the phone was used but still within the warranty period. The phone had to be shipped out but was repaired and sent back within 5-7 business days.

from nokias website:
    " The limited warranty extends only to the original purchaser (“Consumer”) of the Product and is not assignable or transferable to any subsequent purchaser/end-user."

"Upon request from Nokia, the Consumer must prove the date of the original purchase of the Product by a dated bill of sale or dated itemized receipt"

not to mention:
    "he limited warranty extends only to Consumers who purchase the Product in
    the United States of America."

http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/...arranty_en.pdf
    01-09-14 01:15 PM
    Thanks, will give the URL a try again! Tweeted blackberryhelp on twitter, they asked me to go through my carrier - I'm in contact with BlackBerry - they're contacting my eBay Seller to try and get her to help me.

Cheers and thanks.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. No doubt, Apple does offer great support on the consumer end through their Apple stores.

The Rogers link above seems to be working, fyi.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...OfWarranty_1_1

Beyond that, have you tried following @BlackBerryHelp on Twitter and contacting them? Perhaps they can help you track the carrier through the IMEI, etc. I'd lay out your case online to them. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Good luck!
    01-09-14 01:19 PM
    Apple sells their own devices to the public, BlackBerry doesn't. So you experiment worked as it was performed. So you can't blame BlackBerry for your own silliness in not realizing this.
    BlackBerry does sell devices to the public albeit limited selection of devices. In any event regardless of the purchase channel, all Apple does is verify that it is in fact an Apple product and will 9 out of 10 times issue a replacement; no questions asked or proof of purchase required.
    01-09-14 01:19 PM
    Well despite what they've specified there, we had a similar situation where a colleague here bought a Nokia Windows phone and was not the original owner - the phone was used but still within the warranty period. The phone had to be shipped out but was repaired and sent back within 5-7 business days.
    Fair enough, I haven't had any experience with Nokia in over a decade so your actual experience trumps what I wrote!
    01-09-14 01:21 PM
    Thanks, will give the URL a try again! Tweeted blackberryhelp on twitter, they asked me to go through my carrier - I'm in contact with BlackBerry - they're contacting my eBay Seller to try and get her to help me.

Cheers and thanks.
    Good stuff, I'm glad that @BlackBerryHelp is responding quickly! And I hope it has a happy ending for you. BlackBerry needs to work on their end user support, and revisit their policies on support. It's probably not their first priority, heh, but something that should be addressed. As a fan of the platform myself, I hope they are already looking into it. Cheers.
    01-09-14 01:24 PM
    Op, you said where you bought the z30 but you didn't say where you bought the iPhone.
    Stuff bought from eBay are not so secure. Sure the transactions are a breeze but what about warranty and all that? Sure they have warranty and such but it's optional and you have to select it whenever they let you.

I had a BlackBerry PlayBook and it went bad, I bought from eBay, I contacted BlackBerry about it and they guided me with some troubleshooting. It didn't work. Then they told me to send it and they repaired it at no cost (I can't recall if I paid for shipping) and got my pb back within a week.

Also, apple is a much bigger company and can afford to replace a phone just like that. You can't compare BlackBerry to apple like that. You can compare the phones, but not the company as a whole

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 01:25 PM
    The person is at least giving it an effort - I realize that they have policies and unfortunately I wasn't aware of them - guess I was just spoiled by not having issues with devices (have a z10/q10 - assumed the z30 would be as lucky). So in the excitement of getting the phone early I didn't realize and could not fathom that it would not be guaranteed considering it's brand new.

I tried the Rogers URL and I simply get repeatedly: Your warranty information is not available at this time. Please try again later.

Also a big fan of the platform! Cheers buddy

Good stuff, I'm glad that @BlackBerryHelp is responding quickly! And I hope it has a happy ending for you. BlackBerry needs to work on their end user support, and revisit their policies on support. It's probably not their first priority, heh, but something that should be addressed. As a fan of the platform myself, I hope they are already looking into it. Cheers.
    01-09-14 01:27 PM
    I'm sorry, but the way I look at it you weren't the first owner.
    Original owner/manufacturer: Blackberry
    First owner: Ebay store you bought it from
    Second owner: you

For service providers its like this:
    Manufacturer: Blackberry
    Original Owner: Verizon (or whatever service provider placed the order)
    First Consumer Owner: the user

That being said, the phone is less then a year old and Blackberry should absolutely swap it. But I can see the corporate position which is that you purchased the phone from an unauthorized reseller.

If Blackberry had the cash like an Apple or Nordstroms, it would have customer service like they do, but they don't.
    Come on...Blackberry were one of the big players and still didnt give good customer service ... it wasn't a priority ... they need to learn from the best and rebuild their brand ... no excuses...
    01-09-14 01:33 PM
    The person is at least giving it an effort - I realize that they have policies and unfortunately I wasn't aware of them - guess I was just spoiled by not having issues with devices (have a z10/q10 - assumed the z30 would be as lucky). So in the excitement of getting the phone early I didn't realize and could not fathom that it would not be guaranteed considering it's brand new.

I tried the Rogers URL and I simply get repeatedly: Your warranty information is not available at this time. Please try again later.

Until these forums I wasn't aware of the warranty risk in purchasing from a third party like eBay either... I guess with Apple it's just part of their marketing to swap out a defective phone for a new one (and why people stick with them). Considering your history with BlackBerry and the fact that you sound like someone who can influence others' purchasing decisions, I wouldn't be shy about letting BlackBerry know that. If you don't get satisfaction from @BlackBerryHelp, then move up the food chain is my recommendation until someone listens.

That's true of all corporations in my humble experience...
    01-09-14 01:37 PM
    OP you do know that all you need to find out is the carrier who sold the device because the IMEI will be saved in their system. Then just go into your local carrier store (even if you are not with that carrier) and tell them you bought the device outright. Because they have the IMEI saved in their system they have to honor the warranty associated with the device (unless it was abused or water damaged or any other type of damage that isn't normally covered under the basic warranty).

Slightly more complicated way than the apple store but seeing as how blackberry does not have any retail stores (much like samsung/sony/htc...etc) is it really surprising that this is the way warranty service is carried out? No.
    I can confirm this is not true...at least when it comes to Tmobile lol. I bought a white 9900 off ebay that was brand new when i got it. Previous owner had it for a month if that. The speaker went bad and BB told me i had to contact the carrier, yet the carrier it was from (tmobile) refused to do anything because i didnt purchase it directly from them.

Long story short OP, if you buy off ebay, the warranty doesnt transfer. I learned this the hard way also
    01-09-14 02:16 PM
    ok.

I take my BlackBerry into the flagship store of my carrier in my city. I don't book an appointment or an assessment. I go in anytime they are open. My phone is replaced on the spot with no paperwork to fill out and no proof of purchase required. There is no repair process and the warranty is 2 years. Other phone manufacturers send their phones away for repair etc. I'm not on a contract either.
    01-09-14 02:42 PM
    ok.

I take my BlackBerry into the flagship store of my carrier in my city. I don't book an appointment or an assessment. I go in anytime they are open. My phone is replaced on the spot with no paperwork to fill out and no proof of purchase required. There is no repair process and the warranty is 2 years. Other phone manufacturers send their phones away for repair etc. I'm not on a contract either.
    What is your carrier?
    01-09-14 03:36 PM
    The only reason that apple fixes peoples products is because they make you pay a stupid amount for their warranty
    01-09-14 03:37 PM
    I empathize with OP's situation (Z30 crapping out in 2.5 months) and some of the other stories which reflect an unsatisfactory level of customer orientation on the part of BBRY.

I deduce that the firm is, of course, trying to minimize warranty costs...because cash is so tight.

But there seems to be a pattern in BBRY's philosophy on customers. Basically, the company and its corporate culture fail to adequately value customer requirements ant interests. Especially now, it is too inwardly focused to consistently approach the Apple level of service. Probably ever. Just the way it is.

So it should be factored into the purchase decision.

Points out, though, one way a carrier (e.g. Verizon) adds value.

I don't think BBRY is "...trying to minimize warranty costs...because cash is so tight..." (a BB device owner had to go through his carrier/reseller even before BB10 was introduced), but they have a different business model and that model doesn't seem to cover for those situations like the OP's one.

I think the case for the PlayBook is bit different in the sense that BBRY did deal directly with the end customer (I don't know if it's still the case) but I don't have now all the details to hand.

There is a cost/benefit that BBRY seems prepared to take although it may affect their brand.

So caveat emptor.
    01-09-14 05:35 PM

I just tried it and it is working here. I am doing it via a PC, not the phone. I used my Q10 IMEI and it showed the in service date and warranty expiry date.

I also changed the last few numbers of the IMEI to see if I got the same error as you, but it creates the error "Please enter a valid IMEI."

Could your BlackBerry contact tell you who the original distributor/carrier that the phone came from? I suppose it could also have come directly from BlackBerry in countries where BlackBerry sells direct to commercial customers.
    01-09-14 06:33 PM
    I don't think BBRY is "...trying to minimize warranty costs...because cash is so tight..." (a BB device owner had to go through his carrier/reseller even before BB10 was introduced), but they have a different business model and that model doesn't seem to cover for those situations like the OP's one.

I think the case for the PlayBook is bit different in the sense that BBRY did deal directly with the end customer (I don't know if it's still the case) but I don't have now all the details to hand.

There is a cost/benefit that BBRY seems prepared to take although it may affect their brand.

So caveat emptor.
    For Wi-Fi PlayBooks, BlackBerry didn't have a carrier between them and the customer. From what I've read in the Forums, the warranty coverage on the Wi-Fi PlayBooks have been excellent - simple and easy. Perhaps people with 4G PlayBooks can enlighten us on their device warranty service? I know the 4G PlayBooks have the same OS update issues as BB10 phones, i.e. they lag behind because of carrier approval.
    01-09-14 07:30 PM
    Please read before saying anything ....I am the first owner..

Posted via CB10
    Looks like I'm having eye problems

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 07:34 PM
    When you're buying a brand new device that hasn't even been out NEARLY a year you shouldn't have to worry one would think! The product was preordered before it was even released.
    As smart as you say you are, that's not how it works. You need to research the warranty before making a purchase from a non-authorized dealer/seller.
    BlackBerry contacts the Carriers to deal with defective devices. The Carriers are paid for the warranty service like car manufactures do (pay the dealer for repairs). Apple does it differently. Because Apple was a retail/consumer centric company from the start, they have the customer support model nailed down. BlackBerry started as a business device and moved in to customer side and instead of developing it's own support network, they contract the Carriers to do it.

Two different companies, two different support models.
    sean3089 likes this.
    01-09-14 07:37 PM
132 ... 23456