The problem is they do not warrant the product via the consumer, but rather the seller / carrier - this is what I'm finding out at least. I bought the Z30 from eBay from apparently someone in Japan - this was before they were in NA. Now they're saying I have to have my seller contact them -- meanwhile that person will not have the phone but they have to "coordinate" it's repair - it's ridiculous if you ask me. You have a product, it has a serial number, proof of purchase etc - there should not be a problem! Anyways I'm attempting to jump through their hoops so I'll let everyone know what happens.
    Did you buy the iPhone on eBay from Japan, too?
    01-08-14 08:09 PM
    Not if you go through the carriers.

And if you have a warranty (like, actually *have* a warranty, not *think* you do/should,) replacements should be no problem within the duration of the warranty, provided your warranty covers the type of damage incurred.
    Does BlackBerry sell cheap Z30s without a warranty? I thought they all had a "manufacturer warranty" of one-year from date of purchase?
    01-08-14 08:10 PM
    Probably true. But every terrible customer service move may lose you that customer as well as many more down the line. People talk and spread the word. If you have enough of this your in big trouble. I'll be honest and admit that reading this post made me doubt BlackBerry as my next purchase and I hate apple lol

Posted via my Z30
    And I'm a huge Blackberry fan, I've run Blackberry Enterprise Servers and have had Blackberries since early 2000s. I jumped ship to an iPhone 4, then to Android and finally came back with BB10! I was hoping this ship was "righted" and have been spreading the virtues of Blackberry ever since. This experience has soured me and how could I in good faith sell someone a 'berry over an iPhone or Android that might actually get them direct support.
    01-08-14 08:15 PM
    Yeah it was from someone in Japan on eBay (an eBay store - based out of Japan)

01-08-14 08:23 PM
    Does BlackBerry sell cheap Z30s without a warranty? I thought they all had a "manufacturer warranty" of one-year from date of purchase?
    BlackBerry doesn't sell Z30s directly, at least not in the US and I don't think they do in Canada either. The one third party online place (US based seller) I know of that does--GSM Nation--gets them from Canadian carriers, and sells them without manufacturer's warranty.
    01-08-14 08:26 PM
    I wasn't even the owner of the phone, the phone was not in warranty, I did not have the invoice but they had me in and out of there at no cost within 45 minutes with a new device.

BlackBerry pretends that they're focusing on consumer electronics but that is just simply not the case unfortunately.
    So are you saying that it would be easy to exchange "unreported" stolen phones at Apple, since it seems you are implying that Apple doesn't check the authenticity of the phones.
    Every company has their rules and people have to abide by them.
    01-08-14 08:36 PM
    I'm not saying that at all, what the hell are you talking about... I'm talking about their superior support - every phone has a serial number that's traceable. They know every apple id that's associated with each phone, as does Blackberry with the IMEI and BBIDs.

So are you saying that it would be easy to exchange "unreported" stolen phones at Apple, since it seems you are implying that Apple doesn't check the authenticity of the phones.
    Every company has their rules and people have to abide by them.
    01-08-14 08:41 PM
    This was a factory unlocked unit - I'm asking the seller for their supply info. Fact is, blackberry told me that the phone is clearly under warranty but just not to me because I'm the "third" owner apparently. Even though the phone was new, unopened, etc.

Anyways I'll let you know what transpires here. Can you send me the link to those unwarranted Canadian phones?

BlackBerry doesn't sell Z30s directly, at least not in the US and I don't think they do in Canada either. The one third party online place (US based seller) I know of that does--GSM Nation--gets them from Canadian carriers, and sells them without manufacturer's warranty.
    01-08-14 08:43 PM
    I empathize with OP's situation (Z30 crapping out in 2.5 months) and some of the other stories which reflect an unsatisfactory level of customer orientation on the part of BBRY.

I deduce that the firm is, of course, trying to minimize warranty costs...because cash is so tight.

But there seems to be a pattern in BBRY's philosophy on customers. Basically, the company and its corporate culture fail to adequately value customer requirements ant interests. Especially now, it is too inwardly focused to consistently approach the Apple level of service. Probably ever. Just the way it is.

So it should be factored into the purchase decision.

Points out, though, one way a carrier (e.g. Verizon) adds value.
    mmmac likes this.
    01-08-14 08:45 PM
    BB support D+
    Apple support A+

That's a fact.
    mmmac likes this.
    01-08-14 08:50 PM
    This was a factory unlocked unit - I'm asking the seller for their supply info. Fact is, blackberry told me that the phone is clearly under warranty but just not to me because I'm the "third" owner apparently. Even though the phone was new, unopened, etc.
    You bought a 2.5 month old, new, unopened, factory unlocked, but dead phone? How much did you pay for it?
    01-08-14 09:15 PM
    I bought a brand new, unopened, factory unlocked, blackberry that I subsequently used for 2.5 months and then it died. Somehow the original owner though has more "ownership" of my phone's warranty than I do.

You bought a 2.5 month old, new, unopened, factory unlocked, but dead phone? How much did you pay for it?
    01-08-14 11:00 PM
    Don't know about Apple, but Blackberry's customer service and product support is pathetic.
    I submitted my 9220 because of a faulty camera and microphone, on 10th December, 2013. I got a new replacement, on 6th Jan,14. And its still faulty, SD card slot is broken. I submitted it again.
    01-09-14 06:53 AM
    I call Blackberry, get the complete runaround telling me that I should call my carrier vs. where I bought the phone. Ultimately I'm left with no solution because I bought the phone from an eBay store. The phone is less than 3 months old.
    I see you bought it from Japan. If it is branded to your carrier, just bring it into your carrier's store for repair. They will know when it was sold, just like Apple. There is a slim chance it is branded to a Canadian Carrier and could be dealt with by your carrier.

If it is not branded to your carrier, you will have to deal with the eBay seller and BlackBerry.

A few years back, I bought a Rogers 9900 from a US forum member here. Six months after buying it, there was a problem with the display and Rogers fixed it under warranty because they knew the original sale date.

Here is the Rogers site to lookup warranty by imei if by the slim chance you got a Rogers phone. If your warranty coverage shows here, your Rogers store should be able to repair it for you.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...OfWarranty_1_1
    Last edited by robsteve; 01-09-14 at 09:01 AM.
    01-09-14 08:46 AM
    They did not ask me anything about where I bought it from - as it should be it wasn't relevant and they can look up the details based on the serial#!

01-09-14 09:06 AM
    They did not ask me anything about where I bought it from - as it should be it wasn't relevant and they can look up the details based on the serial#!
    Just like Apple can, but in the case of BlackBerry, the retail support is through the carriers. You mentioned you ran BES servers, have you tried contacting your BlackBerry Rep if you happen to still run BES servers?

Did you try the Rogers link in case you get lucky?
    01-09-14 09:10 AM
    My comment was actually referring to Apple (as in, Apple looked it up and replaced it because it was nearly within warranty based upon the serial#).

Yes, I still run an old BES 5.x server. I'd have to pay for incident-based support at the very minimum. My rep was actually through a carrier, but the phone and my plan is not with that carrier!

Tried the Rogers link but it's not working at the moment - will try again.

Just like Apple can, but in the case of BlackBerry, the retail support is through the carriers. You mentioned you ran BES servers, have you tried contacting your BlackBerry Rep if you happen to still run BES servers?

Did you try the Rogers link in case you get lucky?
    01-09-14 09:30 AM
    You missed the point of the question. I know that there are many tvs that won't come with warranty because they were not sold by an authorized retailer. Watches are the same way. That was my point.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 11:12 AM
    Z30 not turning on because battery is not charged.
    Or 1st owner tried to install leak and got nervous unplugged the cable and soft-bricked the z30.

Of course BlackBerry won't support that because it was purchased by carrier and resaled it. Warranty is in carrier unless you bought it directly from BlackBerry. -or it was written in the receipt that BlackBerry is responsible for the fix.

That BlackBerry representative is pointing out for hardware replacement. BlackBerry can't do that.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 11:20 AM
    Were you told that the warranty would have carried when you bought the Z30?
    This is so typical answer from BB mindset ... I had similar experience with my kids Iphone purchased off kijiji and was still under warranty. No brainer, replaced on the spot (well probably refurbished but in a new like condition). Never been asked where is my receipt or in any other way trying to get away with damaged product. That was first time ever that I felt like consumer that was always right. Just because that alone I'd consider switching even though really dislike IOS other bs e.g. itunes,istores, ithis, ithat...
    mmmac likes this.
    01-09-14 11:30 AM
    Z30 not turning on because battery is not charged.
    Or 1st owner tried to install leak and got nervous unplugged the cable and soft-bricked the z30.

Of course BlackBerry won't support that because it was purchased by carrier and resaled it. Warranty is in carrier unless you bought it directly from BlackBerry. -or it was written in the receipt that BlackBerry is responsible for the fix.

That BlackBerry representative is pointing out for hardware replacement. BlackBerry can't do that.

Posted via CB10
    Please read before saying anything ....I am the first owner..

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 12:31 PM
    You missed the point of the question. I know that there are many tvs that won't come with warranty because they were not sold by an authorized retailer. Watches are the same way. That was my point.

Posted via CB10
    Stand behind your product is my point.

What TVs are you buying? Any reputable brand just wants proof of purchase and the one year warranty is taken care of.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 12:33 PM
    The tale of two phones - with the same issue. The reason I have two dead devices is that I run a small IT department.

Blackberry z30 - won't power on at all - flashing red led - 2.5 months old
    Apple iPhone 5 - won't power on at all - 13 months old

Blackberry:
    I call Blackberry, get the complete runaround telling me that I should call my carrier vs. where I bought the phone. Ultimately I'm left with no solution because I bought the phone from an eBay store. The phone is less than 3 months old.

Apple:
    I call Apple, get booked into a local store for an assessment at a "Genius Bar". The phone is on the spot replaced without me showing proof of purchase or anything.

Anyways, I find it abhorrent that Blackberry will not stand behind a phone that is clearly not out of the warranty period because of a technicality.

On this one:
    Apple Blackberry
    Apple sells their own devices to the public, BlackBerry doesn't. So you experiment worked as it was performed. So you can't blame BlackBerry for your own silliness in not realizing this.
    01-09-14 12:35 PM
    Apple sells their own devices to the public, BlackBerry doesn't. So you experiment worked as it was performed. So you can't blame BlackBerry for your own silliness in not realizing this.
    Has nothing to do with it. What about Nokia and HTC - they also warrant their product.

Stop being such a fanboy

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 12:39 PM
    Given that handset failures should be rare its shoulldnt hit the bottom line too hard to be generous in situations such as this.

Good PR keeps customers and promotes the brand.

BBRY have always taken a bullish line once a sale has been made. The Playbook springs to mind...
    01-09-14 12:55 PM
132 12345 ...