Why I sometimes found my home/work wifi disabled??? That unexpected behaviour cost me money as Normally when I am at home I start browsing and checking all my social apps assuming that I am on Wifi.

Posted by my BlackBerry Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2141
    04-07-14 12:07 PM
    I turn my Data Services off whenever I'm at home or somewhere that I know has wifi.

Posted via Q10
    Last edited by AZN; 04-07-14 at 12:35 PM.
    hindsketchup238 and Burkzerk like this.
    04-07-14 12:24 PM
    Why I sometimes found my home/work wifi disabled??? That unexpected behaviour cost me money as Normally when I am at home I start browsing and checking all my social apps assuming that I am on Wifi.

Can't you turn off data in settings and stay on wifi? I left my phone with me so I can't check but I believe that's possible on BB10.
    04-07-14 12:26 PM
    You will need to be more careful and check your wifi to make sure you are using wifi.
    Which OS do you have on your device? Maybe you need to wipe and reload the OS.
    I turn off my Data Services off whenever I'm at home or somewhere that I know has wifi.

Posted via Q10

Ha!!! beat me to it!!!
    Not for nothing, and I feel your pain, but because you didn't confirm that your phone was still connected to WiFi, its somehow BlackBerry's fault? My home WiFi is constantly dropping on my desktop (although the three laptops seem to stay connected no problem), should I blame HP because my desktop doesn't stay connected?

If you know that you are on a limited data plan and plan to do something that is data intensive, you should always double check to ensure that your phone is connected to WiFi. Sorry, I know I will sound like a db for this but you have no one to blame but yourself.
    04-07-14 12:33 PM
    The main issue is with disabling the wifi access point.

04-07-14 12:38 PM
    Shock horror! Checking your social apps whilst at work? Surely not a use for a BlackBerry BB10 user whilst being productive? ; )

Careful! Z10 In action!
    acovey likes this.
    04-07-14 12:42 PM
    You're blaming faulty routers on BlackBerry?

How is it BlackBerry's fault if your home or other router isn't working?

Posted via CB10
    anon5129477 likes this.
    04-07-14 12:50 PM
    Yep. That is something they need to fix very soon. It looks like if you loose DNS access, you loose the connection to BlackBerry's network. If that happens for long enough, it disables the Wi-Fi profile which lost the connection. This may be a battery saving measure but it seriously sucks. It does put a notification in the HUB which we should be able to notify on but I don't see a way.

I got the app Hidden Sentinel in hopes it would announce when Wi-Fi is lost. It doesn't. I hoped Hub++ could notify on Limited Wi-Fi notification in Hub but it doesn't. It's like there is a conspiracy of silence when Wi-Fi is lost.
    Please elaborate on this. What does "lose DNS access" mean? Does this also affect android BBMX users and if so what can those users do about it? The reason I ask is because I have an android BBM contact (a smartphone newbie) who claims BBM keeps "toggling" her wifi off ...
    04-07-14 01:02 PM
    Doesn't your phone tell you? All I have to do is glance and I see if I'm on my carrier or wifi just by the way the icons look.
    04-07-14 01:04 PM
    "Lose", not "loose"
    shahyaz, yasmar and shupor like this.
    04-07-14 01:07 PM
    I turn my Data Services off whenever I'm at home or somewhere that I know has wifi.

Posted via Q10
    Ha, I sometimes do completely the opposite.
    My home WiFi upload speed is very slow (1MBit upload).
    So slow that I can't post animated GIFs (large size) into a BBM Channel.
    In such cases, I disable WiFi and enjoy the LTE.
    Just need to watch the monthly limits.
    04-07-14 01:08 PM

Delete the WIFI from your device and reinstall it. It should take care of it. I've had this problem on every OS since 10.1 and it fixes the problem until the next upgrade. Assuming 10.3 is still far off, you should be ok for a while.
    04-07-14 01:38 PM
    Delete the WIFI from your device and reinstall it. It should take care of it. I've had this problem on every OS since 10.1 and it fixes the problem until the next upgrade. Assuming 10.3 is still far off, you should be ok for a while.
    Will try that. Some people don't understand the real issue here.
    Thank you for your idea anyway.

04-07-14 01:57 PM
    ... My Wi-Fi router is losing it's connection with the service provider's DNS servers. When that happens, anything connected through the Wi-Fi can't locate Internet based services. In the case of the phone, I lose the BlackBerry logo in the upper-right corner. My Z30 sees that and and shuts off Wi-Fi and switches over to carrier data. It is automatic and the speed is about the same so I don't notice it ... However, I don't understand why it actually shuts the profile off (Enable Connections goes to Off in the Wi-Fi profile). If it would not do that, it would simply reestablish the Wi-Fi connection when the router reconnects with the DNS server.
    I wonder if it has something to do with the connection to BlackBerry Services. I'm on BIS, and I've noticed that if I travel back and forth between wifi and the mobile network, the transition is seamless so far as email, BBM, and browsing are concerned, but mobile messengers like Google Talk and YIM reliability becomes an issue. Google Talk and Yahoo work fine over wifi and the mobile network if I sign in on one or the other, but under certain circumstances if I move between, they somehow lose the BlackBerry connection/services tunnel/path. (I'll receive messages, but my sent messages don't arrive at their destinations.)

My observations:

1. If wifi and mobile network antennas are both on, and I travel back and forth between wifi and the mobile network with YIM on, YIM seems to stay properly connected, but it also seems to take a bit of time to realize it's on the different (wifi or mobile network) connection. Messages sent in the interim (during the "handover") are lost. Finding not conclusive -- I have to do more testing with this.

2. If the mobile network antenna is on, YIM is on, and I turn on my wifi antenna, BIS switches over to wifi, but YIM which was running on the mobile network seems to get "orphaned." It tends to still receive messages, but it never seems to make the transition over properly, and all messages I send are lost / never delivered to the recipient.

So far, the only ways I've found to avoid having this happen with the messengers is to sign back in to YIM each time I travel between connections or toggle all connections Off then On each time I travel between connections which essentially does the same thing (signs YIM out and back in thereby re-establishing its connection). Really, I wonder if the reported BBMX issues that have to do with lost messages have something to do with maintaining connection to BlackBerry services as users move back and forth between mobile networks and wifi. BlackBerry should look there.
    04-07-14 02:04 PM
    I have diagnosed this problem for me. I don't know if anyone else has the same problem I do:

My Wi-Fi router is losing it's connection with the service provider's DNS servers.
    An option is to go into the advanced settings for the WiFi profile and set a custom DNS.

8.8.8.8 is Google and 208.67.222.222 is open DNS.

In often use both and they are always up.

I use to do this on my old BBOS phone because at one point I had a wacky Router.

Pretty sure BlackBerry 10 allows custom DNS setting while also still using DHCP for IP address assignment. Maybe not though.

Edit. Nah just looked. You have to also assign a static IP. But that's also workable so long as you choose one that's outside the DHCP pool Range.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    bunky1971 and Soul_Est like this.
    04-07-14 02:12 PM
    Yes, indeed.
    (and a little NFC action)
    04-07-14 02:35 PM
    The Quick Settings are an easy way to check and switch too.
    04-07-14 02:36 PM
    You say when the wifi drops, the phone then starts to use your credit....I take it you mean the calling credit.

So have you got a data plan on the phone, or do you just top up call credit?

If you don't have a data plan and the wifi signal goes, anything the phone is doing, whether you are browsing or whether the phone is just updating itself or syncing, it will come out of your call credit.

I put a sim in mine that didn't have a data plan on it and it took �2 call credit as it started up and everything synced.
    04-07-14 02:44 PM
    I always get the notification in the hub about "limited wifi connection". It happens very rarely though, never at home and most often in public networks like cafes and restaurants.
    04-07-14 02:50 PM

Im calling trolling post.. And the fact that we are commenting means we all fell for it… Simply because blackberry has always, been notoriously superior when it comes to wifi and mobile data notifications… On BBOS when you were connected to wifi you would see the wifi symbol and the bb data symbol signifying a connection via wifi, when wifi lost internet connection, you would see the wifi symbol go away and your network symbol take its place.. on apple and android in previous versions anyway (i haven't used apple since iOS 6) the wifi symbol would continue to show you were connected even without a connection to the internet… In android today, you will continue to be connected and you will just receive no data… blackberry is the only one I've seen with the smartness to switch and let you know you are switching… same in BB10, when internet connection is limited it gives you a notification that it is limited.. it in no way is a secret that you are losing connection and switching blackberry isn't costing you money, you are costing you money, that is, if you are even having that problem at all, or if you even own a blackberry at all …shaking my head
    BB_Junky likes this.
    04-07-14 03:52 PM
    ... In android today, you will continue to be connected and you will just receive no data ...
    How do you mean? The android will show that wifi is connected when it really isn't?
    04-07-14 04:24 PM
    This issue again points to the lack of sophistication of BB10 and the inability of the user to fine tune how and when data conections are made.

For years before I made the mistake of buying my first BlackBerry (a Q10) I used a succession of Nokia phones. All had the option to prevent background data connections being made rather than various applications swallowing up data 24/7 regardless of whether you used them or not. This uiser option would only allow an application to consume data if it was being actively used in the foreground and alternatively you could set the data connection to "always on" if that suited you. The email clients for example could be set to check for new mails on demand or automatically at intervals specified by user option. Why doesn't BlackBerry do this?

A particular problem is that BB10 users are forced to constantly run BBM regardless of whether you actually use it or not. BBM is a serious data ***** endlessly sucking up data in the background even if you don't use it.

I just think it's very poor and sloppy work from BlackBerry considering other manufacturers gave the user automatic control over the situation without the need for manual switching years and years ago.
    04-07-14 07:13 PM
    Download data check pro
    04-07-14 07:56 PM
56 123