... A particular problem is that BB10 users are forced to constantly run BBM regardless of whether you actually use it or not. BBM is a serious data ***** endlessly sucking up data in the background even if you don't use it ...
    I seriously doubt this. BBM has run in always-on mode on every BlackBerry ever built, and there have been no reports of this BBM data hogging at idle. Ridiculous.
    04-07-14 08:08 PM
    Im calling trolling post.. And the fact that we are commenting means we all fell for it� Simply because blackberry has always, been notoriously superior when it comes to wifi and mobile data notifications� On BBOS when you were connected to wifi you would see the wifi symbol and the bb data symbol signifying a connection via wifi, when wifi lost internet connection, you would see the wifi symbol go away and your network symbol take its place.. on apple and android in previous versions anyway (i haven't used apple since iOS 6) the wifi symbol would continue to show you were connected even without a connection to the internet� In android today, you will continue to be connected and you will just receive no data� blackberry is the only one I've seen with the smartness to switch and let you know you are switching� same in BB10, when internet connection is limited it gives you a notification that it is limited.. it in no way is a secret that you are losing connection and switching blackberry isn't costing you money, you are costing you money, that is, if you are even having that problem at all, or if you even own a blackberry at all �shaking my head
    It's not CSI, you don't have to search for clues to try to disprove the OP's post. But in the OP's case, it didn't switch so how would it notify him? Because it had disabled the WIFI profile in Settings, it didn't try to pick up his home network when it normally would. If you're using the phone, you can't really see the WIFI and carrier icons unless you're just staring at the home screen or something. I see the same problem of disabled WIFI profiles on both my Z10 and my PB. He's bringing up a legitimate issue, regardless of how well BBRY has done in the past with regards to WIFI...
    04-07-14 08:19 PM
    An option is to go into the advanced settings for the WiFi profile and set a custom DNS.

8.8.8.8 is Google and 208.67.222.222 is open DNS.

In often use both and they are always up.

I use to do this on my old BBOS phone because at one point I had a wacky Router.

Pretty sure BlackBerry 10 allows custom DNS setting while also still using DHCP for IP address assignment. Maybe not though.

Edit. Nah just looked. You have to also assign a static IP. But that's also workable so long as you choose one that's outside the DHCP pool Range.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    southlander: You can set your DNS servers in the router. Keep the primary as your ISP's primary and set your secondary as another ISP's primary DNS. Ask a friend on a different provider for their DNS. Or use Google's if your into that sort of thing.

To everyone: This only solves part of the problem though. There are a lot of other things that can go wrong between you router, modem, lines and ISP. So y'all better get on the ball and watch your icons every 5 seconds or turn your data off when you want to be certain you're using wifi.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 08:48 PM
    This is a real problem. I have unlimited data so it's not a major issue, but if I wwas capped I'd have a major problem with it.

As some others have said, maybe you could get an NFC tag that could toggle mobile data that would be helpful.

I would love the option to control mobile data more carefully. I'd love to be able to turn off all mobile data use while roaming except for BBM. Unfortunately I don't have that control so I have no BBM while roaming (and it's ny primary method of texting). Hopefully this is addressed in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 09:45 PM
    southlander: You can set your DNS servers in the router. Keep the primary as your ISP's primary and set your secondary as another ISP's primary DNS. Ask a friend on a different provider for their DNS. Or use Google's if your into that sort of thing.

To everyone: This only solves part of the problem though. There are a lot of other things that can go wrong between you router, modem, lines and ISP. So y'all better get on the ball and watch your icons every 5 seconds or turn your data off when you want to be certain you're using wifi.

Posted via CB10
    While true that's also relying on the router to handle fail over properly. Which it might not. Depending on your issue. Setting the static settings at the device gets around that.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    04-08-14 03:03 AM
    If BlackBerry would give developers access to the Wi-Fi and network setting, many of us could control when the radio for Wi-Fi or Data Services was turned on and off. They would also really help with the Z10's crappy battery life.
    04-08-14 01:25 PM
    If BlackBerry would give developers access to the Wi-Fi and network setting, many of us could control when the radio for Wi-Fi or Data Services was turned on and off. They would also really help with the Z10's crappy battery life.
    I think at least part of the reason why the APIs do not exist in BB10 is to circumvent rogue apps changing things you do not want them to change.

I suggest this:

On Location headless app - BlackBerry World

It can enable WiFi based on your current location. (Using either GPS or cell-tower approximation) It cannot disable WiFi because BlackBerry 10 does not have an API for that yet.
    04-08-14 05:31 PM
    I have a high security Wi-Fi (with 2.4 and 5 Ghz active) and a medium security Wi-Fi. I want my phone always on the high security network but that is the one giving me problems.
    What brand & model router? Sorry, maybe it's just your particular unit, but I'm looking at upgrading and I'd like to avoid that one.
    04-08-14 05:37 PM
    My phone will somehow say it is not on wifi bit on reality it is.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 05:46 PM
    Setup notifications to be displayed in the hub. I get a "limited Wi-Fi connection" notification when I either lose Wi-Fi/ require login to public Wi-Fi/ lose DNS. Also, by any chance do you have "wireless connections in bedside mode" set to "Off"? I have it setup that way and noticed that after installing the "Porsche Clock" bar when I plug into charger (not in bedside mode)the network connections are sometimes intermittent.
    - Verizon Z10 running 10.2.1.2122
    04-08-14 05:47 PM
    That's good info, and bad (and unexpected) behavior of the phone to disable that WiFi profile! I've seen what I suspect are DNS issues with my router cause other problems on a T-Mo Z10, such as WiFi calling errors, which can't be resolved by turning WiFi calling off and on. I've had to reboot the phone to fix that. Works, but costs 5 minutes of recovery time including the hub and several email accounts coming back up fully.
    04-08-14 07:20 PM
    So now everyone has become to lazy to check the icons on your homescreen before browsing the internet?

I to have the issue of my Z dropping my WIFI(or sometimes it tells me limited connectivity) and disables that SSID after a few failed attempts. I simply look at my homescreen before doing anything to data intensive, and if not connected, I connect it.

FYI, my win 8.1 laptop does the same exact thing. If a profile fails to connect or is dropped a few times, windows disables that profile even if its set to auto connect. Only difference is its a laptop so it has no radio to fall back on, and I know when its not connected.

I personally am not seeing an issue here(my wifes iphone 5s does the same thing at time too). I simply see a whole generation of lazy that just expect thing when they want them with the least amount of work to obtain the end result.
    04-09-14 06:27 AM
    So now everyone has become to lazy to check the icons on your homescreen before browsing the internet?

I to have the issue of my Z dropping my WIFI(or sometimes it tells me limited connectivity) and disables that SSID after a few failed attempts. I simply look at my homescreen before doing anything to data intensive, and if not connected, I connect it.

FYI, my win 8.1 laptop does the same exact thing. If a profile fails to connect or is dropped a few times, windows disables that profile even if its set to auto connect. Only difference is its a laptop so it has no radio to fall back on, and I know when its not connected.

I personally am not seeing an issue here(my wifes iphone 5s does the same thing at time too). I simply see a whole generation of lazy that just expect thing when they want them with the least amount of work to obtain the end result.
    In that case I would say it's the router or the environment. I have several things hooking up to my router and I rarely get these errors and have never had these disconnect issues unless my ISP is having issues. My phone has never lost the connection etc.
    04-09-14 06:35 AM
    I used to have Rogers (Canada) internet at home. Although fast it was painfully unreliable at times dropping the WiFi signal multiple times a day when it was misbehaving. Along with others I would hazard a guess that it's your WiFi connection that needs to be looked at rather than your device's.
    04-09-14 07:26 AM
    Just log in to your wifi router and change the wifi channel to something like 4 or similar.

use program, called ISSIDER to scan all neighbouring networks. You'll see their channels.

then - change your wifi channel to the least used or to one between the standard 1/6/11

in most cases, signal droppings are caused because your wifi channels are polluted by other networks!

in my experience - in half a year with my Z10, I had 0 wifi drops at home. 0.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-09-14 07:33 AM
    You're blaming faulty routers on BlackBerry?

How is it BlackBerry's fault if your home or other router isn't working?

Posted via CB10
    I was thinking the same thing and totally agree with you. The nerve of some people. Just turn your data off at home and that's it. It's not that hard.

Posted by my awesome Z10
    04-09-14 08:38 AM
    I don't believe the problem is with the router as I've used it for at least 4 months and the problem is very recent. I believe the problem is with my Internet Service Provider. Anyway, it is a Cisco Linksys E3200.

Did Cisco or whoever bought their Linksys division ever release a firmware version for that device that fixes the serious exploit? (Last time I checked it was still unpatched)

Are you running stock firmware?

Because if someone is exploiting that vulnerability, that could certainly explain some reliability issues.
    04-09-14 08:46 AM
    I'm afraid, in my case at least, I haven't made it clear. The Wi-Fi connection is rock solid. The problem is the phone is unable to find the BlackBerry network over the Internet because the domain name server(s) are not resolving to the correct IP address. When that happens, BB10 shuts off that Wi-Fi connection. I suspect, to save battery. The Wi-Fi signal and access point are all working. It's outside the router that the problem lies.
    So this only effects BBM and whatever else runs thru them? So if I were just surfing it would still be using my wifi and if I was doing a BBM video chat it would be using the carrier network?
    04-09-14 08:59 AM
    Alas it's not that simple. When BB10 realizes it can't validate your BBID through the Wi-Fi, it shuts that connection off. At that point, no network traffic will use Wi-Fi.

When you leave that Wi-Fi area or, if your phone connects to another Wi-Fi, it appears to turn that connection back on. That's why my having two ways of connecting to the same router works. When one drops and gets shut off, the other takes over. If that one fails, it switches back to the first one. Since the problem appears to be intermittent short-term DNS loss through my ISP, service has returned by the time the other connection is established.
    Wow. All I can say is I'm glad it hasn't happened to me that I'm aware of. *knocks on wood*
    04-09-14 09:30 AM
    You say when the wifi drops, the phone then starts to use your credit....I take it you mean the calling credit.

So have you got a data plan on the phone, or do you just top up call credit?

If you don't have a data plan and the wifi signal goes, anything the phone is doing, whether you are browsing or whether the phone is just updating itself or syncing, it will come out of your call credit.

I put a sim in mine that didn't have a data plan on it and it took �2 call credit as it started up and everything synced.
    The main question here. Why to disable the wifi point for any reason????? Disabling should be a user choose not automatically without a notification that it has been disabled.

Posted by my BlackBerry Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2141
    04-09-14 01:43 PM
    The main question here. Why to disable the wifi point for any reason????? Disabling should be a user choose not automatically without a notification that it has been disabled.

Because in a mobile device that is expected to maintain continuous communications over unreliable networks, it's important.

Witness how angry people get because they didn't get notified within 1.5 seconds of a new email and so on. THAT is why it is important for the device to continuously monitor the connection quality on currently active links, and when necessary, switch to something better.

Always amazes me how many people have dozens or hundreds of WiFi networks memorized, who leave WiFi on and walk down the street, expecting the device to connect and disconnect and re-connect to all of them continuously on the fly as the signals ebb and flow.

At the very least - you don't want to leave your house after using WiFi there and then discover all your social media and BBM and email updates stopped when you went out of WiFi range.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    04-09-14 03:27 PM
    Change your practices OP. I found out the hard way that my wifi router was failing affecting me to reach my data caps to the point was rationing or turning off data completely without paying overage fees.

In my household, my BB10, Windows 8.1 (and 7), iOS, Android devices continue to have connection issues so I know it's not my BlackBerry's problem (hardware or software). It's getting to the point where I'm going to buy a new router soon. Until that time, when I go home I shut off my data connection. Also good battery management too this way.

So this is it...

When at home:
    1. Turn wifi on
    2. Turn data off

When not at home:
    1. Turn wifi off
    2. Turn data on

Repeat over and over until it becomes 2nd nature. I have 5 days left in my monthly data usage cycle and I have 40% left to use. Whoohoo!

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    04-09-14 03:59 PM
    I have never had this problem until a couple of weeks ago. It has been happening just about every day. I run two different brands of wifi routers and it is happening with both. This may be a problem with 10.2.1.2126 (in my case.) I have security cameras on my internal wifi network that I check often, so I can catch the condition within a couple of hours. I've had my Z30 since January, and this didn't start happening until a couple of weeks ago.

Very strange and completely irritating.

Dave

Posted via CB10
    meqdadi likes this.
    04-09-14 08:41 PM
    Not for nothing, and I feel your pain, but because you didn't confirm that your phone was still connected to WiFi, its somehow BlackBerry's fault? My home WiFi is constantly dropping on my desktop (although the three laptops seem to stay connected no problem), should I blame HP because my desktop doesn't stay connected?

If you know that you are on a limited data plan and plan to do something that is data intensive, you should always double check to ensure that your phone is connected to WiFi. Sorry, I know I will sound like a db for this but you have no one to blame but yourself.
    Well said my friend I'm with you on this one the same thing happens to my HP desktop but my toshiba laptop stays connected all day everyday and twice on saturday or was it sunday ah i forget but you get it right. OP all you have to do is pay better attention and dont blame others for your mistakes. You gotta take responsibility for your own actions and carelessness. I know it's a little harsh but trust me you'll live. good daY
    Carl Estes likes this.
    04-10-14 12:24 PM
    Strange, I had this issue with my iPhone and it was the reason to switch to BB10... since then, back in March 2013, never had this problem again...

Ferrari ZetaDieci 10.2.1.2141
    04-11-14 05:56 AM
56 123