Does anyone have this device?

I plan to wire one into my car and was wondering if anyone else has done this.

I have a 2010 Jeep and although you uconnect picks up my calls via bluetooth, it does not let me stream music to the vehicle system.

I have available inputs so the BlackBerry music gateway would work fine.

Just wondering how to provide it constant power; I'm assuming I need to cut up the cord and wire it into some kind of an inverter.

Also, do I need to tap the phone to this device every time or will it pick up the phone via bluetooth?

Now on Z30
    11-12-13 10:06 AM
    You only need USB connection to power it.

Once you've tapped it to connect it once, your device should connect to it as soon as Blue tooth is turned on and within near enough radius.

I love mine. Enjoy it!

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 10:20 AM
    I have had this done for years and it works absolutely amazing. I cut the cord and have it soldered into the ignition power. As soon as the key is turned, the gateway powers on and auto connects to my berry. I also have the gateway unit hidden inside my dash behind the radio so it is out of sight. You would never know it is there and people that enter my truck for the 1st time are always amazed at how I have my phone controlling the stereo with no wires. (Nice little way for me to advertise to them what a BlackBerry can do). Works very well, perfect sound quality, highly recommended.
    11-12-13 10:39 AM
    I have the newer "Blackberry Music Gateway" and as long as i'm using a Blackberry device, i love it! Unfortunately this device recognizes what is trying to pair with it and has two different volume profiles. I now have an Nexus 5 and the volume is easily less than half of what it is when a blackberry is pair (tested with my Z10 and Playbook). I have also confirmed on my old iPhone that it behaved the same way.

Additionally, the older Blackberry STEREO gateway does not have this same prejudice to non Blackberry devices and I'm going to swap with a friend as long as it too can be powered by USB
    11-12-13 11:08 AM
    I have the newer "Blackberry Music Gateway" and as long as i'm using a Blackberry device, i love it! Unfortunately this device recognizes what is trying to pair with it and has two different volume profiles. I now have an Nexus 5 and the volume is easily less than half of what it is when a blackberry is pair (tested with my Z10 and Playbook). I have also confirmed on my old iPhone that it behaved the same way.

Additionally, the older Blackberry STEREO gateway does not have this same prejudice to non Blackberry devices and I'm going to swap with a friend as long as it too can be powered by USB
    The older ones are also powered by USB. It is a USB adapter with a wall outlet adapter just like the phones have. I cut mine though and hardwire it to the vehicles power. That is interesting about the new ones not playing nicely with non-Berries though.
    11-12-13 11:19 AM
    I have the music gateway.
    In my car, I have a module that has an Ipod connector, USB connector and aux connector. I use the USB connector as power and the aux as audio input. Works perfectly. If you've got any sort of USB+aux input, you're set.
    If it comes down to it, buy a cigarette lighter charger as your power source.

You can either pair through NFC or blutooth. Once paired, all you do is turn on your BT when entering your car and it will automatically connect everytime.
    11-12-13 11:30 AM
    I have had this done for years and it works absolutely amazing. I cut the cord and have it soldered into the ignition power. As soon as the key is turned, the gateway powers on and auto connects to my berry. I also have the gateway unit hidden inside my dash behind the radio so it is out of sight. You would never know it is there and people that enter my truck for the 1st time are always amazed at how I have my phone controlling the stereo with no wires. (Nice little way for me to advertise to them what a BlackBerry can do). Works very well, perfect sound quality, highly recommended.
    Pics or video please.

How do you charge the gateway?

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 12:14 PM
    Pics or video please.

Posted via CB10
    It's not battery powered. I just have a USB cigarette lighter charger like mentioned with the USB cable in that connected to the BBMG turn the ignition, the device automatically comes on just like Chris mentioned without the technicals behind strip wiring.
    Mel25 likes this.
    11-12-13 12:27 PM
    Pics or video please.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately I don't have any, and can't get any without taking my truck apart. The car charger and USB way the others have suggested is clearly the better and quicker way for most people. My way is only recommended if you are good with wires and have some free time on your hands to make the install clean and invisible. It is hardwired so always has power when your vehicle has power. But unfortunately I don't have any pictures.
    Mel25 likes this.
    11-12-13 01:35 PM
    Great gadget. Only drawback is the need to be constantly powered.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 11-12-13 at 04:33 PM.
    11-12-13 01:48 PM
    Awesome thanks guys!

I will go to best buy and/or future shop and buy one today.

So to be clear, the new ones do no not have the usb power option now right? I will need to cut up the power cord and wire directly to 12 volts? No inverter required?

Now on Z30
    11-12-13 03:45 PM
    Awesome thanks guys!

So to be clear, the new ones do no not have the usb power option now right? I will need to cut up the power cord and wire directly to 12 volts? No inverter required?

Now on Z30
    No, I only cut and hardwired it because I am anal and like things hidden. They all come with USB and can be plugged directly into a car charger or something to power it. You can cut and solder it like I did if you are comfortable with doing that type of thing.
    11-12-13 03:49 PM
    Awesome thanks guys!

Now on Z30
    The new version of the BB Gateway comes with a regular USB power adapter just like the phone. small power block with detachable usb cable (standard to micro)
    11-12-13 04:32 PM
    Great! Thanks for the clarification.

I'm guessing at this point without the product on hand that upon cutting the charging cable there 'should' be only 2 wires. A positive and ground.

I like the idea of a clean install. I'll wire it direct to 12v.

Cheers,

Now on Z30
    11-12-13 05:21 PM
    USB cables tend to have more than 2 wires. A USB schematic should show you which cables in the bunch are for power though.

I've been using the gateway for close to a year now. The new one I believe. Works with android well and almost always pairs with my blackberry (9780 & Z30). Don't think it works with iphones though. Haven't extensively tested it but seems like something apple would do.

Sometimes I don't realize I have my bluetooth off on my phone when I turn the car on. If you leave it for too long (2 minutes I think) the gateway will stop searching for a connection and that's maybe the only time it won't connect. I'll either try cycling the bluetooth on my phone, turn the car on and off or just tap/click the gateway to get it to pair.

Seriously I make it sound worse than it is. It's a great device. Was harder to find/make a line in on my 2004 than working with the gateway. I run the cable behind the trim and plug it into my 2 port cigg USB power. Eventually I will tap into the cigg lighter itself and bury it all behind the dash. Until then it works just dandy as it. Some of the best money I've spent.
    11-12-13 07:38 PM
    Great! Thanks for the clarification.

I'm guessing at this point without the product on hand that upon cutting the charging cable there 'should' be only 2 wires. A positive and ground.

I like the idea of a clean install. I'll wire it direct to 12v.

Cheers,

Now on Z30
    Mine is in my armrest console, out of site out of mind, all wires in tact
    11-14-13 07:25 AM