Do you have it set to avoid traffic? Works great for me. Never used BlackBerry Traffic but it must have been positively awesome.
    Yes I have it set to avoid traffic. As my previous email state, it only uses a main route algorithm to avoid traffic. BB Traffic used a different approach which would cut 40 minutes off a commute compared to BB Maps. feel free to read my previous posts to get more detail.

In fact, BB Traffic is so much better, I've been contemplating getting a second wireless account/sim just so I can dedicate my 9900 Bold to use BB Traffic in the car.

But I sure wish Blackberry would just port the app. I'd pay a lot of money to have that app on my Z10.
    02-27-14 08:49 PM
    I would like to see them implement the "Alternate Routes" option they had in BB Traffic as well as the bar graph view that it had.
    This is exactly what I miss about BB Traffic, which blows away BB Maps. I think the opposite. I think BB Maps is horrible. Yesterday in bad weather and an accident, Maps insisted on me getting back on the fwy to be in a 2+ hour traffic jam as opposed to a side street that runs along the fwy which took me 25 mins to get past the fwy accident.

I really wish BB Traffic would come back soon. It's the greatest traffic app ever.

Subscribe to Tri County Catering and Party Idea Channel. Pin #C00123065
    02-28-14 01:34 AM
    I was comparing the functionality to Blackberry Traffic. So when you say "does a good job" this is a relative statement. If you've never tried Blackberry Traffic then you really don't know what a "good job" is. If you get a chance, run BB Maps and BB Traffic side by side during your travels. You will see a huge difference in functionality.
    I've used Traffic before. I'm very familiar with it. But you're right, it's all relative.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 03:14 AM
    This is exactly what I miss about BB Traffic, which blows away BB Maps. I think the opposite. I think BB Maps is horrible. Yesterday in bad weather and an accident, Maps insisted on me getting back on the fwy to be in a 2+ hour traffic jam as opposed to a side street that runs along the fwy which took me 25 mins to get past the fwy accident.

I really wish BB Traffic would come back soon. It's the greatest traffic app ever.

That's exactly my experience as well. In the SF Bay Area we have two major highways going to and from Silicon Valley from SF (280 and 101). 280 is a longer route and takes you about 7-14 miles out of your way, but is generally much lighter traffic than 101 (but not always). For some reason, BB Maps will always tell you to go 101, even if the you sit in traffic for an 1 hour - it's completely asinine.

BB Traffic would, very intelligently, look at the traffic pattern and speed limits on a route, using both variations of 101 and 280 and always make the best choice. I used BB Traffic every day for over 2 years and it never let me down. There is no equivalent app on any other phone (Android, Apple, or BB10). it is truly the best app ever made on any device.

It boggles the mind that BB wouldn't even port that app to BB10. Then there is even a more darker message here. If BB isn't porting their best apps to BB10 why do they think other Software Companies would bother to do it either. Someone up in that Canadian tech refuge should be fired.
    02-28-14 07:01 PM
    That's exactly my experience as well. In the SF Bay Area we have two major highways going to and from Silicon Valley from SF (280 and 101). 280 is a longer route and takes you about 7-14 miles out of your way, but is generally much lighter traffic than 101 (but not always). For some reason, BB Maps will always tell you to go 101, even if the you sit in traffic for an 1 hour - it's completely asinine.

BB Traffic would, very intelligently, look at the traffic pattern and speed limits on a route, using both variations of 101 and 280 and always make the best choice. I used BB Traffic every day for over 2 years and it never let me down. There is no equivalent app on any other phone (Android, Apple, or BB10). it is truly the best app ever made on any device.

It boggles the mind that BB wouldn't even port that app to BB10. Then there is even a more darker message here. If BB isn't porting their best apps to BB10 why do they think other Software Companies would bother to do it either. Someone up in that Canadian tech refuge should be fired.
    I hear ya!!

I took some screen pics today of Traffic. I'm going to send an email to BlackBerry Tech and describe the usefulness of what is going on in each pic. Because I was thinking the exact same thing. Why on earth would they not port the best traffic app ever known to man. It does leave you scratching you're head.

03-01-14 01:02 AM
    Does anyone have any comments on using Waze and BB Maps?

Via CB10 & Z10 or Q10
    03-02-14 04:04 PM
    I just tried a route to my son's home. The map and directions show fine, but is there also sound (for driving)?
    03-03-14 08:01 AM
    I just tried a route to my son's home. The map and directions show fine, but is there also sound (for driving)?
    For sure, just enter the address and press "Go" and it lays out the route. If you want voice guidance, press "Start" and she gives you immediate turn-by-turn directions with ample time to signal and change lanes etc.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 03:10 PM
    Does anyone know how to backup their Map Location 'Favorites'? Seems ancient that my device must be the only source should anything ever happen to it.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 09:36 PM
    Yes, BlackBerry Traffic was amazing. They need to bring it back or integrate with Maps.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 09:39 PM
    What a lot of people don't know.
    Foursquare is BlackBerry Maps best friend

Search Foursquare for any POI you can think of and it's there.

Blackberry Maps is Excellent-img_20140225_234314.png
    Blackberry Maps is Excellent-img_20140225_234323.png
    Blackberry Maps is Excellent-img_20140225_234327.png
    Blackberry Maps is Excellent-img_20140225_234338.png

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 09:41 PM
    The newest version of Waze (not on BlackBerry World, but on Snap/google play store) is absolutely great as well

I alternate between one and the other depending on how I feel, but I enjoy waze a lot because you can move the map while you are navigating and it has the option for 2d navigation as well

The only issue is that the app stops getting gps data when you turn off the screen, so the screen must stay on.

But BlackBerry maps is definitely great at its core, but it would be nice to get the little added touches from other map services.
    One thing that annoys me a lot is that you must type the address number before the street name, otherwise it will not recognize the format.
    03-03-14 10:13 PM
    They are great for navigation which I've used many many times. For looking and searching places I use Be Maps

Visit GTR Lifestyle @ C001247FA
    03-03-14 11:37 PM
    I like it a lot in the car. But I HATE that there's no pedestrian mode. What were they thinking? That's just such a no go.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 02:23 AM
    I have used BlackBerry maps on my z10 and my z30 on 10.2.1.1 and I have been quite please with how accurate the navigation is. Even the voice navigation is great for what I use the app for.

Sure it's not Google maps, nor was it intended to be, but I found it as good as the maps app in Apple IOS 7 and so far I couldn't be happier and that's what counts.

Posted via my BlackBerry z30 on 10.2.1.537
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-04-14 04:00 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140225_234314.png 
Views:	3883 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	252575

Name:	IMG_20140225_234323.png 
Views:	3869 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	252573

Name:	IMG_20140225_234327.png 
Views:	3851 
Size:	353.5 KB 
ID:	252577

Name:	IMG_20140225_234338.png 
Views:	3847 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	252578

Posted via CB10
    I will give that a try, thanks.

Via CB10 & Z10 or Q10
    03-04-14 08:45 AM
    I like it a lot in the car. But I HATE that there's no pedestrian mode. What were they thinking? That's just such a no go.

Posted via CB10
    BeMaps Pro has a great pedestrian mode. And it includes transit guidance as well. It's a good companion for BB Maps.

Plus I'm going to try foursquare based on the post above. Sounds good. Often BeMaps is missing a lot of key POI's... probably cuz they're not paying a fee to Google LOL ("do no evil... AS IF!!!)

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 03-04-14 at 10:26 AM.
    03-04-14 10:06 AM
    It does not work in Panama.
    Good for North American countries.
    That is why Waze is so popular here.
    I only use Blackberry Maps when going to visit my relatives in USA
    I have seen very ugly and obscenes critics in Blackberry World from a lot of countries around the World. I hope Blackberry put more resources to include more countries. The World is a lot bigger than the few countries included(USA among those).
    Sorry.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 11:29 AM
    I'm using BeMaps pro and remember how much of a lifesaver it was when I opened it for the first time. I still think that pedestrian mode should be implemented in blackberry maps.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-04-14 11:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    khehl ! Awesome suggestion! I tried the two searches I use the most, coffee (espresso) and cigars, and got good results for both.

Great suggestion. This should go up on CB as an article or helpful hint.

Via CB10 & Z10 or Q10
    03-04-14 11:53 AM
    It does not work in Panama.
    Good for North American countries.
    That is why Waze is so popular here.
    I only use Blackberry Maps when going to visit my relatives in USA
    I have seen very ugly and obscenes critics in Blackberry World from a lot of countries around the World. I hope Blackberry put more resources to include more countries. The World is a lot bigger than the few countries included(USA among those).
    I'm sorry to hear Panama isn't covered by BlackBerry Maps. I just checked BeMaps Pro and it looks like it has detailed maps for Panama. Check out this screen shot..

Attachment 252735

I've used BlackBerry Maps very successfully in Canada, Mexico, Spain & Turkey and it was spot on in all those places. I'm sure BlackBerry will be adding countries over time... but for the time being, I'd highly recommend using BeMaps Pro, plus it has directions for walking as well as driving.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 12:06 PM
    khehl ! Awesome suggestion! I tried the two searches I use the most, coffee (espresso) and cigars, and got good results for both.

Great suggestion. This should go up on CB as an article or helpful hint.

Via CB10 & Z10 or Q10
    I think they should make a blog post also. I'll make my own thread under Beta OS for it

EDIT: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=911775 comment on it to bump it so more people can see the best POI(foursquare) +Map combo.
    Its even better then Waze/Google Maps all we need now is offline maps.
    But Here Maps android Port has you covered in that category.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by khehl; 03-04-14 at 01:05 PM.
    03-04-14 12:54 PM
    I find BB Maps very handy and have no complaints.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-04-14 10:33 PM
    Using it around Palm Springs. Excellent!

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-05-14 12:13 AM
74 123