What would you change to make it great? Traffic info?
    No. I think the traffic info is fine.

1. I would like to see route options. I know that BBMaps gives you the best route based on criteria but seeing at least an option B would be nice.

2. Freeway Exit #'s would be useful

3. Also, a "pit stop" option. Example, I have a client meeting to be at on the other side of town. I want to stop by and bring cookies in for their office as a nice gesture. Being able to find a bakery while in transit would be nice.

Just some options.

And by no means I'm being negative towards the app. Like I said, it gets the basic needs done. But, people don't want to be dictated, they want flexibility and options when it comes to map apps. So of BlackBerry could add a little more razzle dazzle to it, it would probably be more receptive by those who dislike it.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 08:08 PM
    Sorry guys, in NY google maps is way better. It's all about traffic. If the eastbound lanes are stopped and I'm going westbound, I should see that on the screen. Here's a screenshot of exactly the problem. No amount of zooming will fix this and that's why bb maps takes a back seat.
    FWIW, I bought a Kenwod DNX570HD radio with Garmin maps and live (FM) traffic. It's actually worse than the BB maps, all the roads are orange and the traffic gets updated way too slow.
    Attached Thumbnails Blackberry Maps is Excellent-img_20140225_213220.png  
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    02-25-14 08:40 PM
    Sorry guys, in NY google maps is way better. It's all about traffic. If the eastbound lanes are stopped and I'm going westbound, I should see that on the screen. Here's a screenshot of exactly the problem. No amount of zooming will fix this and that's why bb maps takes a back seat.
    FWIW, I bought a Kenwod DNX570HD radio with Garmin maps and live (FM) traffic. It's actually worse than the BB maps, all the roads are orange and the traffic gets updated way too slow.
    I use it in NYC quite frequently and strongly disagree. It does an amazing job of getting you around traffic and you never have to look at it. You are driving, right?

One time I was heading for traffic on a certain bridge, and Maps recalculated my route to another bridge the instant I turned towards the other bridge. Other times when I took a call and it popped right back in at my exact location and guidance immediately after I hung up. The traffic and road condition data are excellent thanks to TomTom.

If you're walking, it might be a different story, but Maps is unsurpassed in the car.
    02-25-14 09:25 PM
    On the plus side, it's a nice maps app. On the minus side it lacks the intelligent traffic routing of blackberry traffic.

All in all I'd give on the pretty graphics to get more intelligence.

I miss BlackBerry traffic.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 09:35 PM
    I use Maps all the time and it works for me...yet I see a lot of complaints about it. Nevertheless I have never had an issue.

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    02-25-14 09:53 PM
    In my country, the BlackBerry maps is not available

Posted via CB10 with my BlackBerry Z30
    02-25-14 10:12 PM
    Here in Serbia I had poor experience with BB maps.
    1. In almost 90% of cases when I find the adress and click the arrow, some stupid error shows up "unable to communicate with server " and I can't even get route to work
    2. If I actually pass first step, there is another unpleasant surprise. Instantly I get another message that voice navigation is unavailable for my route, so usability degrades again
    3. And at the end, routes are very imprecise, and I don't know why is this, cause here, bb maps are more detailed than Google maps
    I am not talking anything exclusive like traffic or something like that, basic functionality is somewhat limited

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 01:40 AM
    Here in Madrid, I thought I'd post an example of the street names issue I referred to in an earlier post on this thread.

BlackBerry Maps shows all the nearby street names (but no poi's):

Blackberry Maps is Excellent-img_20140226_134523.png

BeMaps Pro shows only a couple of street names (but lots of poi's):

Blackberry Maps is Excellent-img_20140226_134510.png

When I'm walking around, I'll use BeMaps to get my walking route... then switch to BlackBerry Maps to check the street signs.

Remember, in narrow streets with tall buildings, the gps algorithm can sometimes give your location as being a block away or even just half a block away but on the other side of the street, especially if you are indoors.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 07:09 AM
    In my country, the BlackBerry maps is not available

Posted via CB10 with my BlackBerry Z30
    Too bad you didn't tell us what your country is...?

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 07:11 AM
    Here in Serbia I had poor experience with BB maps.
    1. In almost 90% of cases when I find the adress and click the arrow, some stupid error shows up "unable to communicate with server " and I can't even get route to work
    2. If I actually pass first step, there is another unpleasant surprise. Instantly I get another message that voice navigation is unavailable for my route, so usability degrades again
    3. And at the end, routes are very imprecise, and I don't know why is this, cause here, bb maps are more detailed than Google maps
    I am not talking anything exclusive like traffic or something like that, basic functionality is somewhat limited

Posted via CB10
    I would check the strength and speed of your Internet connection. Often basic functions can't be performed when the Internet data connection is weak or slow or intermittent, or all of the above. Lots of these modern systems work like magic when your have good 4G LTE coverage but can be so frustrating when using a spotty 3g connection or weak wifi.

You say the BlackBerry Maps are very detailed once you finally get the map, so it seems like the data is correct and is available on the BlackBerry Maps server. The rest is down to your data connection, whether it be via wifi or cellular mobile.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 07:18 AM
    BB Maps needs some on screen zoom buttons desperately. It is really surprising for BB not to include gesture based zoom in/out or at least on screen zoom in/out buttons. It is pain in the **** to zoom on this thing. Also maybe an option for traffic provider so we can pick where the traffic data is received from, like Google, Mapquest, Garmin, Tom Tom, etc.. Or just the free sources because time to time there is a huge discrepancy between Google Maps traffic and BB Maps traffic (google seems to be more accurate)
    02-26-14 01:32 PM
    Why can't I see the triangle sign? I can open maps from the address in contacts, but then I see no triangle to route me to that location
    Can't find anything in settings...

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 01:42 PM
    Regarding your issues with South Loop Elementary, I had similar issues while looking for Home Depot yesterday not showing me the ones near my location.

I managed to resolve this by first pressing the blue ball in the corner to make the map center on my location (because originally it was not completely centered like in your screen shot) and then I searched and Maps showed me the closest Home Depots.

Can you give that a try to see if that makes your search work any better? I am hoping that does the trick. If it does then it's dumb IMHO that you have to center Maps first when that should be the default action, but hopefully it's better than nothing.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Thanks for the suggestion, but the result is exactly the same. That's definitely something that needs to be fixed in BlackBerry Maps.

I've had the same problem when searching on other businesses. It almost never gives me results based on my current location. I end up using Google to get the address and manually typing it in to navigate with BlackBerry Maps.

Keith H. Posted by CB10 from my Z10.
    02-26-14 05:35 PM
    Seems like some people are using an older os/maps version. A lot of stuff I see people requesting such as traffic for both directions etc is already in the latest BB10 maps. The maps are great for me. Get me where I need to go, recalculates quite fast. I would like a 'pit' option to search for something while on route. Only thing that I would like but it's not a deal breaker for me in anyway.
    02-26-14 07:45 PM
    Seems like some people are using an older os/maps version. A lot of stuff I see people requesting such as traffic for both directions etc is already in the latest BB10 maps. The maps are great for me. Get me where I need to go, recalculates quite fast. I would like a 'pit' option to search for something while on route. Only thing that I would like but it's not a deal breaker for me in anyway.
    I am on 10.2.1.2xxx and there is no zoom in/out buttons on screen, for example.
    02-26-14 08:01 PM
    Well, as they say, Ignorance is bliss. I'm guessing you've never used Blackberry Traffic and probably don't understand that BBMaps has a very simplistic main route routing algorithm. Side by Side, BB Maps on my Z10 and BB Traffic on my 9900, BB Traffic will save me 40 minutes on my commute in SF Bay Area during peak traffic hours. When I drive the route from BB Traffic my Z10 BB Maps gets totally confused and tells me to make a u-turn even as I get closer and closer to my destination.... it's pretty stupid.
    kthhrrsn and Katika99 like this.
    02-26-14 08:08 PM
    What would you change to make it great? Traffic info?
    If my destination is in the right tell me it's on the right, not straight ahead. Also would love traffic, see where my friends are, and lane assist are things I would love to see added.

A BB10 slider with the power of the Squircle
    02-26-14 08:24 PM
    In Australia, it's not so great. Traffic doesn't work (just shows green) and you have to put in an address that is relatively close to where you want to be on a given street - something not required on Google maps.

That being said, it's still usable. Just not perfect here yet.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 09:52 PM
    Needs a bit more graphical detail, otherwise excellent.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 09:54 PM
    Well, as they say, Ignorance is bliss. I'm guessing you've never used Blackberry Traffic and probably don't understand that BBMaps has a very simplistic main route routing algorithm. Side by Side, BB Maps on my Z10 and BB Traffic on my 9900, BB Traffic will save me 40 minutes on my commute in SF Bay Area during peak traffic hours. When I drive the route from BB Traffic my Z10 BB Maps gets totally confused and tells me to make a u-turn even as I get closer and closer to my destination.... it's pretty stupid.
    I've never had issues using the built in traffic reporting on BB10, I use traffic reporting in bb10 every morning on the way to work. If I choose a different route the phone may momentarily ask for a uturn but will reset the route pretty fast when it realizes I'm turning left or right instead of pulling a U. Most of my traffic is on the highways. If I notice extreme congestion I just turn off highways and auto route other streets. I like the fact a straight simple route is set.

Maybe I'm just lucky living so close to BlackBerry but for the me the maps are fantastic. For the guy saying theres no on screen zoom buttons... Well I have nothing to say there. One finger for a button or two fingers for a gesture. Either way it's still a one handed operation.
    02-27-14 12:04 AM
    I've never had issues using the built in traffic reporting on BB10, I use traffic reporting in bb10 every morning on the way to work. If I choose a different route the phone may momentarily ask for a uturn but will reset the route pretty fast when it realizes I'm turning left or right instead of pulling a U. Most of my traffic is on the highways. If I notice extreme congestion I just turn off highways and auto route other streets. I like the fact a straight simple route is set.

Maybe I'm just lucky living so close to BlackBerry but for the me the maps are fantastic. For the guy saying theres no on screen zoom buttons... Well I have nothing to say there. One finger for a button or two fingers for a gesture. Either way it's still a one handed operation.
    Yes, I see. If you just drive in a straight line on the highways to get to work you wouldn't notice how bad the BBMaps traffic route optimization is. This is really not a good Use Case for a Map application with route optimization then.
    02-27-14 01:48 AM
    Yes, I see. If you just drive in a straight line on the highways to get to work you wouldn't notice how bad the BBMaps traffic route optimization is. This is really not a good Use Case for a Map application with route optimization then.
    Well I beg-to-differ. I always have the "Avoid Traffic" criteria on. As I'm driving, it does a good job rerouting to avoid traffic and notifying me of traffic congestion ahead.

I think it may vary on where you're at.
    02-27-14 06:41 AM
    Well I beg-to-differ. I always have the "Avoid Traffic" criteria on. As I'm driving, it does a good job rerouting to avoid traffic and notifying me of traffic congestion ahead.

I think it may vary on where you're at.
    I was comparing the functionality to Blackberry Traffic. So when you say "does a good job" this is a relative statement. If you've never tried Blackberry Traffic then you really don't know what a "good job" is. If you get a chance, run BB Maps and BB Traffic side by side during your travels. You will see a huge difference in functionality.
    Katika99 likes this.
    02-27-14 10:01 AM
    Somehow, depending on how the address of a contact is set up in my contacts, it prevents me from finding it using maps. Not sure how yet, coz they seem perfectly normal to me...

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 04:17 PM
    On the plus side, it's a nice maps app. On the minus side it lacks the intelligent traffic routing of blackberry traffic.

All in all I'd give on the pretty graphics to get more intelligence.

I miss BlackBerry traffic.

Posted via CB10
    Do you have it set to avoid traffic? Works great for me. Never used BlackBerry Traffic but it must have been positively awesome.
    02-27-14 06:26 PM
74 123