A friend of mine just upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a Z30 (after a marketing campaign on my behalf) and he loves it. The two things he loves the most are the easiness of switching between apps and the keyboard.

He made a comment that got me thinking. He said that this keyboard makes it much easier to type, easier than a physical keyboard (a computer keyboard). So the question is: why doesn't BlackBerry take its amazing keyboard to computers/ desktops? You can do that by either having an application on a tablet that connects with a computer via Bluetooth or by building a hardware just for that to replace the physical keyboard

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    randall2580 likes this.
    05-27-14 11:44 AM
    So who wants to type on a tiny kb when they have a full desktop kb to type on? Not me.
    yvpan1 likes this.
    05-27-14 12:36 PM
    Who said it's tiny?

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 12:39 PM
    Who said it's tiny?

Posted via CB10
    So what blackberry kb are you using? And why would a larger bb kb be any different? Predictions and suggestions? How does that work when your fingers are on keys and not a screen?

Edit: I love the glass kb on my Z30 as it types good words from my crap. I don't type crap on a desktop kb.
    05-27-14 12:54 PM
    Well it would be a tablet (potentially very thin) looking hardware that basically has a large keyboard. Predictions and suggestions make it easier to type in general but also in different languages.

Instead of getting a physical keyboard with your desktop, you get this glass thing that acts like a keyboard. I am not sure about the act of typing but one can hold it and swipe away or even if it is angled then you can use your fingers to swipe without holding. I am not sure if I am making any sense.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 01:00 PM
    I have to look at the glass to type. On my desktop or laptop I do not. Now if bb's autocorrection ands suggestions worked somehow on a normal kb.
    05-27-14 01:17 PM
    I think there is potential for the idea to extend what we all seem to like to mass production. Almost every one who tried the Z30 keyboard said that this is the best virtual keyboard on any phone.

Why not think of taking it to potentially create a new market (keyboard for desktops and computers) that also use auto correct and adapt to your style.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 01:20 PM
    Because whole point of the BlackBerry virtual kb is to make it the best VIRTUAL kb on the market for phones.

There's no way people would wish to use a virtual kb on glass for their PC or Laptop.

Their phone kb is optimized for two digit typing or qwerty typing, not for the traditional full kb typing with all your fingers.

Nice enthusiasm though and yes their kb rocks harder than the rest.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 03:28 PM
    I just want to say one more thing. When apple released iPhone and opened up doors for apps many said that there is no way people would want apps. The same was said when Samsung released its Note phone with a ridiculously large screen, yet they ended up selling (they created a market for these).

Yes BlackBerry keyboard is optimized for phones, but there is no reason not to think about taking the best features you have and try to find other ways to get revenues, maybe perhaps hitting it big. You could start by releasing an app for BlackBerry keyboard on other platform and see how people respond to it (similar to BBM). From there, if the response is strong then why not take it one step further.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 10:35 PM
    There is already enough proof that people prefer virtual keyboard on phones. We would have never known if we didn't come up with a virtual keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 10:41 PM
    Not a bad idea; however, implementing it requires money and efforts which BlackBerry can't spare right now. They have to focus their resources into improving the OS and designing the next awesome BlackBerry phone.
    05-29-14 06:55 PM