I've just spoke to a BlackBerry Curve owner. This Saturday she will be upgrading and without seeing any of the new phones she will go for an iPhone because "Everyone else has one".

Specs are tantamount compared to the brand for the sheila and most people I speak to.

Edit: Wow 3000 posts and still here
    Exactly.

Some people care about specs, namely people that frequent blogs or sites dedicated to their favourite OS. Others do not; they merely buy what the person in the store says is the best, or what is the most popular. In my opinion the A10 is last summer's hottest thing being released this fall. The specs of the A10 are not terrible by any means, but as it comes out there will be more quad- and octo-core phones with 13+ MP cameras, 5+ MP front cameras and a bevvy of other features. Someone mentioned before that the HTC One is a 4MP camera, but has denser pixels making it more comparable to an 8MP camera.

iPhones do not have NFC in the current ones, but the 5s or 6 will have it. Even if it didn't, people don't seem to care as much because they sold over 25 million of them in ONE QUARTER. Why? Because they are popular and everyone else has one. (see also: Samsung Galaxy S2/3/4)

I love my Z10 and will continue to use it as much as I can and I do not plan on upgrading for the next year or two. However, I played with my cousin's HTC One a few weeks ago, and I have to say...it is one fantastic piece of equipment. Even if you can't remove the battery or use a micro-SD card. The camera is excellent, battery life is slightly better than my Z10, to name a couple of things. I am not trying to bash BBRY in any way, but reality is, they MUST step up specs and keep pricing in check with the other big boys. A10 at the current specs should be $549 tops or else the masses will flock. The Sony Xperia Z has higher specs and a $579 price tag......BlackBerry, please take heed to things like this!
    litig8or98 likes this.
    07-16-13 11:10 AM
    I agree with OP 100%. But don't try to convince the people here on CB. Quite frankly they actually think that just because they'd buy it through their fanfare that the rest of consumers will as well. You know, just like the z10 and q10 :roll eyes:

CB is a pretty blinded community. To be fair though, all mobile nations forums are blinded to a certain degree. It just feels so awesome to be platform agnostic though. People like me see the reality.
    07-16-13 11:11 AM
    The only thing I think people look at is the camera MP, even though people don't know what it means they assume higher is better.
    07-16-13 11:14 AM
    Fewer apps, and yes, yes I would.
    07-16-13 11:20 AM
    And an overpriced, but under specced device helps in what way, to correct a bad public image?

People buy Apple because they associate it with quality.
    People stay away from BlackBerry because they associate with the opposite of quality.
    It doesn't. Don't get me wrong, IF these specs are true I think it's completely foolish of BlackBerry to release this A10, it won't do them good from what I've seen others say.

...'it has last year's specs and hasn't been released yet' etc. Yeah there is the Experience but the Z and Q10 already have that.

I said to a friend on BBM a while back that there comes a point where I will give up on defending BlackBerry. This was just after the broken promise / PlayBook situation and I wasn't one of the angry ones about that story. The specs of this A10 which some sites / tweets have worded it as if they are true has annoyed me enough to give up defending BlackBerry in general.

At this moment I don't care about the A10. Imo the Q10 is still the best phone on the market, I will look forward to seeing the A10 released only because we'll be closer to a Q11

Posted via my CB Q10
    07-16-13 11:29 AM
    - BB10 Launch is in it's 5th month (since launch) .. I see as brand new OS .. Blackberry is already ahead of the rest by giving end users a better and more polished experience then one could say for either iOS or Android .. and think of it within 5 months they are offering more apps then anyone could in their earlier years .. I see Blackberry gaining traction at the end of the year and don't go by the specs of the A10 that were shown .. you will be in for a surprise
    07-16-13 11:33 AM
    It doesn't. Don't get me wrong, IF these specs are true I think it's completely foolish of BlackBerry to release this A10, it won't do them good from what I've seen others say.

...'it has last year's specs and hasn't been released yet' etc. Yeah there is the Experience but the Z and Q10 already have that.

I said to a friend on BBM a while back that there comes a point where I will give up on defending BlackBerry. This was just after the broken promise / PlayBook situation and I wasn't one of the angry ones about that story. The specs of this A10 which some sites / tweets have worded it as if they are true has annoyed me enough to give up defending BlackBerry in general.

At this moment I don't care about the A10. Imo the Q10 is still the best phone on the market, I will look forward to seeing the A10 released only because we'll be closer to a Q11

Posted via my CB Q10
    Now I get you.

And I agree with you.

The last hope that I have, is that BlackBerry understands that they can't sell the A10 for more than 450$ without contract.

This would push the Z10's price down as well, and this would drive the adoption of BB10 as the mobile phone market is pretty price elastic, but if BlackBerry is able to grasp that...
    One can only hope.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 11:39 AM
    ...Fac is that the (rumoured) Snapdragon S4Pro (MSM 8960Pro) with its Adreno 320 is last years hardware. It was introduced in Q2 /2012. This years top of the line would be the Snapdragon S600 or S800 with Adreno 320 (revised version) on which the GPU is about 15% faster. The S600 is used in Galaxy SIV or HTC One.

For those interested here is a test of the S 4 Pro and a test of S600 AnandTech | The HTC One Review ...
    I think the slide is misleading and that Aristo will get something like a dual-core Snapdragon 600 which puts it closer to a Galaxy S4, although the Moto X would have the same hardware...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ke-gs4-829204/
    07-16-13 11:39 AM
    If someone has already said it, I apologize. The word you should have used in the title is "their" not there. Their shows ownership, there is talking about a location.
    07-16-13 11:40 AM
    you will be in for a surprise
    I genuinely wanted to be excited for this flagship so I hope we are in for a surprise.

Posted via my CB Q10
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    07-16-13 11:40 AM
    in Europe the scenario is worst, no BB devices being promoted, you go to a store and BB devices are on the storage.
    Here in socal, Cypress to be exact I spent an hour in a Verizon store looking at the z10. The salesman pushed me towards the s4 saying BB was dead in the water. Attitudes like this towards BB are not helping.
    wcowings and m1a1mg like this.
    07-16-13 11:43 AM
    Now I get you.

And I agree with you.

The last hope that I have, is that BlackBerry understands that they can't sell the A10 for more than 450$ without contract.

This would push the Z10's price down as well, and this would drive the adoption of BB10 as the mobile phone market is pretty price elastic, but if BlackBerry is able to grasp that...
    One can only hope.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not thinking about price really.

More along the lines of - this is a flagship phone with lesser specs than now which will be released in the future.

Or BlackBerry are saying. The world is full of highly intelligent engineers and technologies...come and have a look at our flagship device...the best we can do right now!

I'm by know means esoterically spec savvy but as I've said before on these forums. The screen of an S3 is amazing compared to my Z10. It's the first phone that I've seen that has depth to the picture like a decent tv. That is what I want on a phone.

If Ferrari turned up at the beginning of the 2014 F1 season with leaf springs on their cars people would start to ask questions.

I'm gonna get some stick for this so I best go now.

Posted via my CB Q10
    07-16-13 11:54 AM
    I can't say I agree with that statement. When buying a Mac Pro, people spend more money and don't always get the better hardware. You can pay a lot less and get better hardware if you went with say Dell, but people don't. They go with Apple instead.
    07-16-13 11:59 AM
    I would price the A10 at $499 in Canada . They have to compete. The Z10 should be selling at $435. Q10 at $499. IMO
    MrHomz likes this.
    07-16-13 12:03 PM
    I can't say I agree with that statement. When buying a Mac Pro, people spend more money and don't always get the better hardware. You can pay a lot less and get better hardware if you went with say Dell, but people don't. They go with Apple instead.
    2007 Mac Mini + 2009 Macbook pro + 2012 Ipad = Zero hardware issues thus far.
    2011 BB 9900 - mainly battery pulls and one software install problem ( been OK so far).
    07-16-13 12:05 PM
    - BB10 Launch is in it's 5th month (since launch) .. I see as brand new OS .. Blackberry is already ahead of the rest by giving end users a better and more polished experience then one could say for either iOS or Android .. and think of it within 5 months they are offering more apps then anyone could in their earlier years .. I see Blackberry gaining traction at the end of the year and don't go by the specs of the A10 that were shown .. you will be in for a surprise
    Who cares how iOS/Android were in their first 5 months? What does that comparison have to do with today?

People don't look at past when buying a product today... they look at what product is the best TODAY.

Blackberry is behind today - where it counts.... and they're behind BIG TIME. That's all that matters.
    ajst222 likes this.
    07-16-13 12:06 PM
    For all of those people who are saying "the average consumer doesn't care about specs", maybe you are living in a dream world. The average smartphone consumer of today is not the average smartphone consumer of 2007-2010. Specs matter. Marketing over the years have pushed this. In the US Verizon did this with the "Droid does" commercials, then other companies started advertising the same.

My friend saw my Z10 when i first bought it and loved it. He barely knows how to use a computer. When he went to the store to buy his Z10, he saw the Info card that said dual core. The HTC One was right next to it. It says quad-core. It also has a 1080p screen. The Z10 is 720p. My friend called me immediately to make sure that spending the same price on lesser specs was worth it.

A family member of mine who isn't tech savvy also did not buy the Z10 because it is dual core and the S4 is quad core and has a 1080p screen.

The store reps advertise the hardware. I have heard it first hand. People care about hardware.

When I can get an Android device for the same price on contract, that has much better hardware, extreme customization (no matter if it is strock or a ROM), hundreds of thousands of apps, more support, and an OS that as of right now has a ****ton of more features (it is more mature so it is expected), looking from the outside in this looks like the much better deal.

And then there is Apple who sells just because it's Apple. But they put relevant hardware on their devices as well. I am sure this years iPhone will have at least 2GB of RAM, at least quad core, as close to 1080p as possible (Apple uses different resolutions), and of course it will have the best App Store and accessory support out there.

Other people see these things, BlackBerry fanboys are the only ones who don't seem to notice or care. Or people who just don't give a damn in general, and they usually end up with a free device or a super cheap one.

Just looking at specs and app support, there is no way in hell I would choose the Aristo over the HTC One and the devices that are going to be coming out when the Aristo does. But I like BB10 so that makes a difference. Even with that said, I have a Z10 and still don't find the Aristo to be an upgrade or attractive at all. It's just a bigger Z10 coming out at the end of the same year. Not good.
    07-16-13 12:21 PM
    I'll try it slowly, to repeat it again:

Apple has an image of providing quality products, and they are perceived as an innovator.
    That peope are willing to pay much more for an Apple device, is proof of that.
    They get something for their money, if not, they wouldn't keep their devices or upgrade to another Apple one.

BlackBerry on the other hand, has an image of providing the exact opposite of quality.
    The Storm, The PlayBook firesale, the lacklustre adoption of BB10 thus far, must be proof enough.

Why are people on CB trying to compare BlackBerry with Apple?
    Apple plays in a league on their own, and they are highly diversified, compared to BBRY.

Posted via CB10
    ajst222, Donvald, m1a1mg and 3 others like this.
    07-16-13 12:23 PM
    Fact is that the (rumoured) Snapdragon S4Pro (MSM 8960Pro) with its Adreno 320 is last years hardware. It was introduced in Q2 /2012. This years top of the line would be the Snapdragon S600 or S800 with Adreno 320 (revised version) on which the GPU is about 15% faster. The S600 is used in Galaxy SIV or HTC One.
    Everyone seems to be complaining about "last years specs" but if the phone was designed in 2012 then it will have 2012 specs. Can you necessarily plop current specs into a device model that was designed last year? You have to settle on a design before going to production. That may have happened last year for the A10 as it seems to be going into production now.

An analogy would be automobiles. There may be new automobile trends or technology this year but that new model you buy today was likely built with specs for the year it was designed. Product development would seem like a long process to me. The automaker can't suddenly interrupt production and design to get the latest gizmo or gimmick fitted on the car. It complicates the puzzle of getting everything to work together.
    TheScionicMan and Jahmal A like this.
    07-16-13 12:32 PM
    Every time I read a thread about what blackberry should do when it comes to specs, marketing, apps etc there are countless "well it works for me and i like it" type of replies. The whole point of thread is to address what blackberry needs to do to attract NEW PEOPLE, crackberry people are mostly already sold.

SO WE DON'T NEED TO HEAR HOW YOU LIKE IT!!!

its irrelevant that you like it. Blackberry is fishing and you are one of the fish already caught and in the cooler on the boat. They need to change there bait. The new bait is APPS, SPECS and MARKETING! Plain and simple! Android and Apple are world leaders because of those very things. BB10 is a solid OS we dont have to prove that anymore! NOW we have to get sales, create a phone for non crackberry people who already will buy anything that has BB10 on it, Create a phone for the average "my camera has more mega pixles" "I have 8x more apps then you" crowd because THEY will be the reason blackberry succeeds or fails, the Z10's quarterly reports prove that loyal blackberry users are not enough if we want to have blackberry continue making phones for us.

THE A10 is just not good enough they need to increase (Apps, storage, megapixles (camera's are so important these days, everyone is photographer now lol), 1080p, large battery) just to at least match the market leaders right now.

loyal blackberry user, i'm shocked the A10 is being stated as the flagship with these type of specs....its embarrasing
    07-16-13 12:36 PM
    We chose because of a series of promises that we know BB will fulfill.
    Come again? Fulfilling promises? PPPPfFFfffFffftttttt.
    07-16-13 01:00 PM
    HTC One has 4 megapixel camera and still it is called one of the best Android phones ever.

A10 has DEDICATED, I repeat again DEDICATED quad core GPU. This phone will be gaming mobile beast. This phone will be true Playstation on the go.

Marketing is the key here. if i was working at Blackberry and had to run advertising campaign i would make sure that anyone who saw A10 ad would never forget about quad core GPU. I would send out more blackberry employees to educate store stuff especially in USA about this new phone features. Finally I would make sure to get at least couple of A10 exclusive games with jaw dropping visuals utilizing GPU quad core power.. I tell you Samsung and Apple would be caught with their pants down!

Blackberry is really good phone with unique features. It is truly good phone to run business from on the go. The problem is that Blackberry has done poor job (especially in USA) communicating advantages of BB10 phones.

Blackberry should look for different type of employees. It might sound sound crazy but perhaps hard core blackberry fans with some crazy out of this world ideas should be the one working at Blackberry. Not uptight employees thinking about their bonuses too much.
    The GPU may be the only way I agree. Just need some more key games have a few but need more. And maybe some old school games too.
    07-16-13 01:12 PM
    Everyone seems to be complaining about "last years specs" but if the phone was designed in 2012 then it will have 2012 specs.
    Do you really think the Optimus G2 and Note 3 were designed this year?!?
    Donvald likes this.
    07-16-13 02:08 PM
    Ohhh....a mobile gaming beast? Whoopty-doo
    I need a different f-ing job, I guess, because all of you who supposedly live 30 hour days instead of the normal 24, and can FB, Twitter, SnapChat, Instagram or game on your frickin' phone with every spare second....I can't seem to fit in the time.....and actually, I don't want to either....you know, while you're on the bus/subway/tram/whatever there IS another world that isn't on your screen....you know that right?
    07-16-13 02:11 PM
    No stick yet so I'm back.

In a nutshell shell the problem lies in the A10 being called and going to be The Flagship BlackBerry. It may be accepted better if it was a new BlackBerry in a different class ?
    07-16-13 02:18 PM
270 12345 ...