You are telling me to get real? When I just explained the reality? Lol... btw a quadcore gpu and 1.7ghz dual core isn't low specs.. iPhone 5S will most likely be 1.5 ghz dual core.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    Compared to what I can buy now, the hardware is already old...

And people should stop to use the iPhone to prove that specs aren't that important.
    BlackBerry and Apple play in a lot of different leagues.
    Image wise Apple can pretty much do no wrong.
    BlackBerry on the other hand, can do no right.

The Apple support is legendary, the build quality as well, combined with the best ecosystem as of now, an OS/UI that my cat understands and the status of an innovator thanks to the iPhone and the iPad, as well as the fact of these products having an enormous success, should pretty much kill every comparison between Apple and BlackBerry, in terms of "outdated specs".

Btw, iPhoned and iPad are overpriced nonetheless.

To make the A10 with these specs, that will launch in the 600$ realm, is the biggest proof BlackBerry could have given their critics, that they are unable to manufacturer a product that is able to compete.

You should get real concerning the consumers. He doesn't care why some things are not possible for BlackBerry but they are possible for the competition.

He will just chose the competition.

And as I said a number of times already: if the price is right, the specs are good enough.

This is all about the price, and the A10's flagship status.
    If the phone sells for 330-400$ I would buy it just because BlackBerry got real on the pricing.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 07-17-13 at 08:39 AM.
    Dan Lam and agp101 like this.
    07-17-13 08:17 AM
    i don't think these proposed specs will make a difference in terms of sales in the grand scheme of things. 720p vs 1080p and Dual Core vs. Quad Core won't make a big difference in sales for BB.

OS trumps specs. i don't think a specs bump will drive new sales away from iPhone/Android to BB and on the flip side i don't think that a lack of a bump will drive many customers away from BB that want a large display BB device. the bump or lack of a bump will not sway many people either way IMO.
    07-17-13 08:25 AM
    Compared to what I can buy now, the hardware is already old...

And people should stop to use the iPhone to prove that specs aren't that important.

BlackBerry and Apple play in a lot of different leagues.

You should get real concerning the consumers. He doesn't care why some things are not possible for BlackBerry but they are possible for the competition.

He will just chose the competition.

And as I said a number of times already: if the price is right, the specs are good enough.

This is all about the price, and the A10's flagship status.
    If the phone sells for 330-400$ I would buy it just because BlackBerry got real on the pricing.

Posted via CB10
    Special excuse for Apple? Lol... it's not about what is possible... a quad core cpu just wouldn't be significant for in-app activities, a quad core gpu which they've added would... And no matter the specs, at this point marketing and competitive pricing is what will sell this phone.

07-17-13 08:25 AM
    A good way of thinking about the specs battle is to put yourself in the position of buying something you're not very interested in, but use often. (it puts you in the shoes of an "average" consumer). For my example, I like to think of myself as an average consumer when it comes to computers. Sure, I know how to navigate, utilize most of the features, download, install & uninstall software, find everything I need online, even troubleshoot most problems. But I can't tell you apples to oranges about what each individual part does, or why I need it. And I don't have a particular brand loyalty. If it works & best buy's website gave it good reviews, who am I to argue?! So why spend $1000 on a computer that no one I know uses, and is advertising lower specs, when I can get one for the same price, more appealing features, and better specs (whatever the hell they are. Like I said, I dn't know about the processors, but I ain't looking to buy a crappy one!) I'm also at the mercy of the salesman who should know a little bit about the computers on the shelf.

Make up your own example and you'll see what I'm trying to say. The average consumer just wants a good product. Do specs matter? Sure. B/c this Bob Joe fella we're talking about isn't trying to earn a college degree in technology. He just wants something that's gonna do the job & what else does he have to go off of?
    Donvald likes this.
    07-17-13 08:28 AM
    Special excuse for Apple? Lol... it's not about what is possible... a quad core cpu just wouldn't be significant for in-app activities, a quad core gpu which they've added would... And no matter the specs, at this point marketing and competitive pricing is what will sell this phone.

I edited a little bit.

And yes, special excuses for Apple, because they are successful. BlackBerry is not. Simple as that.

I still consider Apple products overpriced.

I agree with you, that marketing and a good price for the A10 will be the most imprant thing.

Even though I think that our opinions differ about the good price...
    For me this is in the 400$ realm.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 08:32 AM
    Twice as fast
    You have right about the cpu of the aristo.Check this video Moto X CPU Test on Vimeo
    I hope the score of this processor(MSM8960T 1.7Ghz) will not be as a result of an outstandig optimization made google-motorola
    07-17-13 08:37 AM
    I can't see it being less than $600 just because the Z10 launched at that price. Whatever the price they need to make sure the marketing is excellent and show what BB10 can do. Currently they've only shown small features, they need to show the flow and quick multi tasking. A power user can flow through multiple tasks without any kind of lag. (assuming it's a native bb10 app.)

You guys ask for more ppi... had they increased it they would also need to increase resolution and guess what... now all the apps that are compatible with the Z10 are no longer compatible for the A10... you think devs will get on that? no....

Funny how my Satellite receiver will scale 720 content to 1080, and Apple was able to make apps work on different resolutions (with some degradation, but they worked). Also doesn't Android have multiple resolutions out there? Also funny how my PlayBook can put 1024x600 content up on a 1080 screen at 1080.

Posted via CB10
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    Funny how my Satellite receiver will scale 720 content to 1080, and Apple was able to make apps work on different resolutions (with some degradation, but they worked). Also doesn't Android have multiple resolutions out there? Also funny how my PlayBook can put 1024x600 content up on a 1080 screen at 1080.

Posted via CB10
    Just because it's scaled up doesn't mean it's native 1080p....

07-17-13 08:39 AM
    I can't see it being less than $600 just because the Z10 launched at that price. Whatever the price they need to make sure the marketing is excellent and show what BB10 can do. Currently they've only shown small features, they need to show the flow and quick multi tasking. A power user can flow through multiple tasks without any kind of lag. (assuming it's a native bb10 app.)

i think the OS is the problem. the market has seen it and rejected it.
    07-17-13 08:40 AM
    I guess the Aristo sells will look like this:

Base of potential users
    - People already bouth a BB10 device and are happy for the next 2 years
    - Frustrated PB owners that were waiting for a BB10 update
    - People that got scared from the negative press after the bad quartal results
    - People that got scared by bad mouthing of BBRY by frustrated PB owners
    - People having problems with their new BB10 device, like no updates
    + BBRY fanboys buying every ~2nd released phone

In total the numbers will be even far below the Z10 which already is sold at lower prices...

Doesn't look to good :-)
    I think we will still see the Aristo and after Christmas sells and a very dissapointing Quartal 1 in 2014
    BBRY will give up this business, still promising support until 2017 (which means actually 1 more little update and then goodbye)
    Man, will I laugh at all the CB members telling us we should stop complaining about no BB10 update for the Playbook!
    But I guess your dear Kevin will probably prepare you fanboys with some nice articles like:
    "BBRY - transformation into a pure software business - the oppertunities of that"
    "Feedback for for BBRY owners what they would think of using BBRY software only on other platforms?"
    07-17-13 08:42 AM

And the kid behind the counter selling the device will say the A10 has 720 screen for $600 but this SGS4 has a 1080 screen for the same price and more and better apps! Oh and they will likely throw in the BlackBerry is dying comment to seal the deal. They can't price the same as Samsung with obvious huge difference staring you right in the face with the screen.

Posted via CB10
    agp101 likes this.
    07-17-13 08:42 AM
    Joe bob just bought a blackberry .. cs his gf has one!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    07-17-13 08:45 AM
    Just because it's scaled up doesn't mean it's native 1080p....

No but it works! If a game is coded for 720 but gets up scaled to 1080 then what is the problem?

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 08:46 AM
    No but it works! If a game is coded for 720 but gets up scaled to 1080 then what is the problem?

Posted via CB10
    Waiting for Bluenoser63 initiated...

Posted via CB10
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    07-17-13 08:51 AM
    i think the OS is the problem. the market has seen it and rejected it.
    No they haven't seen it... if anything the majority of Americans and the world hasn't.

07-17-13 08:53 AM
    It's pretty obvious that if Blackberry isn't going to compete spec-wise with other phones, then they MUST offer the A10 at a cheaper price.

It should be $100 cheaper (at the very least) than a spec'd-out phone. Not only because of the lesser specs, but because of the terrible ecosystem BB10 has in comparison.

BB needs a reality check - long gone are the days when consumers looked at the Blackberry brand as a premium device. They need to price accordingly or offer something that blows away the competition.
    agp101 likes this.
    07-17-13 08:53 AM
    No they haven't seen it... if anything the majority of Americans and the world hasn't.
    The OS isn't a major selling point - so it doesn't even matter at this point.

Consumers want a feature rich phone with a huge ecosystem. BB10 doesn't offer that.
    07-17-13 08:56 AM
    [QUOTE=Marios199546;8839404]You have right about the cpu of the aristo.Check this video Moto X CPU Test on Vimeo
    I don't think the MotoX is using the standard MSM8960T and neither is the Aristo. They should both be using the dual-core version of what's in the GS4. That's why it shouldn't be too bad since they all have the Adreno320 GPU. BB10 could really shine. Showing that a dual-core used right can give a better overall experience, if they manage to get a full day out of the battery...
    07-17-13 08:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    If you don't have an iPad, stop by a store and try this: open an iPhone app on an iPad. Then hit the 2x button. Notice how fuzzy the app looks? Unless an image is a vector, increasing size makes the image look fuzzy, at least from my experiences.
    07-17-13 08:58 AM

You know, that is actually the problem.

The Z10 already was overpriced.
    And now, 5 months after its introduction the production was cut in half and the prices are being slashed.

BlackBerry even had the PlayBook as a prime example on what not to do again, considering pricing.

If the sale figures of the new BB10 phones are not enough to make BlackBerry understand that they have to heavily discount their phones to make them attractive, then it may already be too late.

The new BBOS 7 phone was the ultimate indication for me, that BlackBerry has a strategical problem. Instead of making the 9900 dirt cheap, they make a new handset...

The Q5's price and the 40% margins BlackBerry had on their BB10 phones in Q4 2012, were the other ones.

The A10 has to launch for a significantly cheaper price compared to Android flagships.

We have already seen that the high prices of the other BB10 phones are hurting the adoption rate.
    We have seen the Q5 reviews, in which more or less every reviewer says the same thing: it's too expensive!

We have seen the fire sale on the PlayBook because the elevated price point killed its early adoption (OS 1.0 didn't help either).

Personally, I don't know how much more proof you need, but compared to the competition, if the A10 launches for 600$ (and I suspect that as well) this will be a bloodbath, but for the A10.

As an enterprise, BlackBerry should have understood by now, that the average consumer has lost faith in the company and is not willing to put up with an overpriced device.

But hey, what do I know?
    I only work in the field of market research...

Posted via CB10
    agp101 likes this.
    07-17-13 09:08 AM
    It's pretty obvious that if Blackberry isn't going to compete spec-wise with other phones, then they MUST offer the A10 at a cheaper price.

It should be $100 cheaper (at the very least) than a spec'd-out phone. Not only because of the lesser specs, but because of the terrible ecosystem BB10 has in comparison.

BB needs a reality check - long gone are the days when consumers looked at the Blackberry brand as a premium device. They need to price accordingly or offer something that blows away the competition.
    this is easier said than done because BB is caught between a rock and a hard place. they are at such a disadvantage with Samsung, Apple et al because they don't have the same volumes, economies of scale, and purchasing power with suppliers - so it's not a level playing field. BB can not squeeze suppliers for cheaper parts - in fact they must pay more! so this means that BB must charge the same (if not more) than competitors - and still take a hit on margins! and if they price under competitors - the margins will REALLY take a hit and wall street will crush them even further.
    agp101 likes this.
    07-17-13 09:11 AM
    It's pretty to think that a super fluid, magical OS will more than make up for less-than-industry-leading specs, but it will be a familiar position for BlackBerry to be looking up at rivals, even on launch day. How has that worked out for BlackBerry recently? I'm more loyal than sometimes justifiable to BB, but in my experience when the specs have lagged for too long performance demonstrably suffered relative to the best of the rest. Other, amped up phones flew while BlackBerry labored on. At least BB10 in a modern OS, but we already know that while it is arguably superior, it is not transcendent.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 09:13 AM
    It's pretty to think that a super fluid, magical OS will more than make up for less-than-industry-leading specs, but it will be a familiar position for BlackBerry to be looking up at rivals, even on launch day. How has that worked out for BlackBerry recently? I'm more loyal than sometimes justifiable to BB, but in my experience when the specs have lagged for too long performance demonstrably suffered relative to the best of the rest. Other, amped up phones flew while BlackBerry labored on. At least BB10 in a modern OS, but we already know that while it is arguably superior, it is not transcendent.

Posted via CB10
    sorry, but there's nothing magical about BB10.
    07-17-13 09:20 AM
    The specs that I worry about are the 2gig of ram and the 16 gig of internal storage. I could even deal with the 2 gig of ram, but omfg give me at least 32gig to store my apps. Games are large and the A10 looks like it was made for games with that screen.
    Dave Bourque and agp101 like this.
    07-17-13 09:30 AM
270 ... 45678 ...