Blackberry needs to stop being so conservative and get with the times, as i've mentioned before this is a (mindless) consumers world and all people want is the "latest and greatest". Blackberry needs to invest in better technology (i.e the best processors), they have one of the best OS' out there they just need to actually keep moving...
    08-09-13 03:00 AM
    Will it is critical to BBRY, I dont feel it will be the only factor in what happens with the company. Too many other things going on with BB right now.
    08-09-13 04:44 AM
    I will have to agree that it is important but not the most important thing going on with BBRY.

So many factors involved and changing every minute.
    08-09-13 07:20 AM
    There's so much we don't know about the future plans of BlackBerry. I'm just happy we will see a phone like the Z30. Hell even the Z10 seemed like a pipe dream not that long ago. BlackBerry is ever evolving.

Posted via CB10
    ryanza and wincyUt like this.
    08-09-13 08:13 AM
    The Z30 is a very important release but even more important is that it will be releasing with OS 10.2.

Reviewers will get a second look at the platform and if they're open minded they'll see that many of the negative points from the initial BB10 release have been addressed.

And with the updated Android runtime in 10.2 I'm hoping we'll see a slew of new app announcements.

Z10 STL100-3 | 10.1.0.4633 | Bell
    08-09-13 08:26 AM
    The Z30 is a very important release but even more important is that it will be releasing with OS 10.2.

Reviewers will get a second look at the platform and if they're open minded they'll see that many of the negative points from the initial BB10 release have been addressed.

And with the updated Android runtime in 10.2 I'm hoping we'll see a slew of new app announcements.

Z10 STL100-3 | 10.1.0.4633 | Bell
    Only problem is now developers are using android runtime 4.3.

Netflix & tune in radio are an example.
    08-09-13 11:44 AM
    I think the A10/Z30 will be important, but not a deal breaker

There are a lot of people who refuse to put a Frisbee up to their head to make calls, or be stuck with something that doesn't fit in any of their pockets.

I agree that it's an important response to just one particular demographic, but it's really just that: a response.

BlackBerry's future will be determined by innovation, not imitation. (Apple has already got the market cornered on that.)

Fluffy new OS's, spec wars, and duking it out in a saturated market is not healthy for any business.

Personally, I would love to see BlackBerry's new slogan to be something like : "dare to be different."

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 12:20 PM

Not much of a problem..
    Not much added that makes it a big difference from 4.2

Posted via CB10
    laketrout73 likes this.
    08-09-13 12:29 PM
    Blackberry needs to stop being so conservative and get with the times, as i've mentioned before this is a (mindless) consumers world and all people want is the "latest and greatest". Blackberry needs to invest in better technology (i.e the best processors), they have one of the best OS' out there they just need to actually keep moving...
    If everyone wants the latest, greatest and most powerful why does the iPhone sell? It is never the latest and greatest. There are always phones with better specs then the iphone when it launches its new models but it sells.

As long as things work they way they are suppose to, the masses don't care if you have a duel core processor or a quad core. The Z10 proves this when compared to a GS4 or HTC One. My Z10 always out performed any GS4 or HTC One and I have tested it with over a dozen higher spec'd Android phones that should make my Z10 look like it came out of the 90's.
    08-09-13 12:42 PM
    The Z30 launch will be important for sure just like how every launch is important to BlackBerry right now. Is it a do or die I don't think so but, if they don't start having a bit more success with their phone it will become do or die.
    08-09-13 12:44 PM
    Personally I'm closely watching the traction the Z10 is getting as the first release of the OS 10 range. The public reaction has been underwhelming, to put it mildly. I don't think the A series will do much to change the public perception and negative image BlackBerry has. They will consistently have to prove that they can produce a reliable, cost effective product that has wide public appeal. If Apple can be used as an example of what I'm trying to say: their products just work, and work well, almost all the time. (I am a Blackberry supporter by the way, but I'm not blind.)
    08-09-13 01:07 PM
    They need to quickly build up the ecosystem as well. Looking forward to trying out a Z30. Looks like a great device to me. My Z10 has been great to me, especially since I loaded the latest 10.2 leak. Definitely headed in the right direction.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 01:22 PM
    I strongly want blackberry to survive
    mainly for selfish reason as I want a bb10 slider phone (z15, even tho it is a fan made image)
    blackberry MIGHT make it. & if so it ticks all the right boxes for me

ATM blackberry is in a sinking ship. mainly because its devices are UGLY, iphones only sell because of its looks and brand. Samsung alongside most android phones = the same.
    Blackberry need a phone with similar specs to the z10 which actually looks good.
    I think its looks then specs that sell.
    no point of a bigger screen if its exactly the same as the last phone.
    08-09-13 02:21 PM
    I strongly want blackberry to survive
    mainly for selfish reason as I want a bb10 slider phone (z15, even tho it is a fan made image)
    blackberry MIGHT make it. & if so it ticks all the right boxes for me

ATM blackberry is in a sinking ship. mainly because its devices are UGLY, iphones only sell because of its looks and brand. Samsung alongside most android phones = the same.
    Blackberry need a phone with similar specs to the z10 which actually looks good.
    I think its looks then specs that sell.
    no point of a bigger screen if its exactly the same as the last phone.
    To some extent in agreement: Z10 just another "glass slab". I ALSO want BB to succeed. This looks different, it looks "nice":Blackberry A10/Z30 WILL Determine BBRY's Future..-00dc5c545ee4f840e66bd798e4bc8b36.jpg
    08-09-13 02:56 PM
    The problem is when People hear BlackBerry or see their logo... they walk away...
    08-09-13 03:00 PM
    The futures so bright, I gotta have a dark theme touch screen. As long as BBRY doesn't get rid of it. I mean come on!
    08-09-13 03:18 PM
    Pretty sure that similar statements were made about the Z10 and we know how that device has sold. If the Z30 flops then will we be saying the same thing about that devices successor? They are running out of get out of jail free cards.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 06:00 PM
    QNX posted via CB10
    08-09-13 08:10 PM
    Yeah so Z30...
    08-09-13 11:05 PM
    Like other posters I agree that the Z30 will *not* determine BBRY's future. It is simply one piece of the overall solution.

My impression is that the Z30 was originally designed as the super-phone that would replace your laptop. But I'm not sure if that's quite working out just yet. A lot of companies want to do this, but it requires a lot of work to set up properly. So instead BBRY decided to release an upgraded Z10 for people who prefer a larger phone.

I'm curious what BBRY will be releasing next year....
    sparkaction likes this.
    08-10-13 06:00 AM
    Like other posters I agree that the Z30 will *not* determine BBRY's future. It is simply one piece of the overall solution.

My impression is that the Z30 was originally designed as the super-phone that would replace your laptop. But I'm not sure if that's quite working out just yet. A lot of companies want to do this, but it requires a lot of work to set up properly. So instead BBRY decided to release an upgraded Z10 for people who prefer a larger phone.

The z30 is nowhere near being the crucial launch for BB, at this point it is about expanding options with each new device launch being aimed at a slightly different market segment, we had the z10 to kick things off, the q10 then offered qwerty, the q5 offered a lower price option and next the z30 offers something to those who now prefer a larger display.

As far as next year I think we will see a mixture of plans e.g. those leaks of all-touch and qwerty devices using the cheaper 8930 chipset points to them looking to expand volumes and also to the q5 and maybe even the z10 not lasting as long as some devices, beyond that I would expect to see a nextgen z30 and a couple of higher end qwerty devices (room for a q10 upgrade and a larger screen device in one year) but the main thing will be for them to keep expanding and improving bb10 itself because as long as they can keep building sales and controlling their costs they can ensure that this is a marathon for them and not a sprint.
    08-10-13 07:50 AM

The Z30 has the potential too really hurt BlackBerry's chances of a coming back. There are reports that 0.1% of the smartphones Verizon sold last quarter were BlackBerry. So BlackBerry 10 isn't exactly doing any favors for Verizon. I haven't seen the market share from T-Mobile or AT&T yet, but wouldn't be surprised if it is incredibly low also.

If the Z30 launches and flops like the Z10 did, carriers and retailers may be forced to stop supporting BlackBerry altogether and we might not even see them carrying what BlackBerry brings out next year. That's my biggest fear at the moment.

After all, the carriers aren't obligated to carry BlackBerry devices, they do it to try to make money. If people aren't buying BB10 devices, why should Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Best Buy continue to dedicate shelf space and marketing dollars to them?

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    MisterMe11 likes this.
    08-10-13 09:52 AM
    Hah, no. If you mean developing FOR then no way - they are definitely do not as it would practically limit their audience to NOTHING.

You are confused. They are both available for any Android 2.1 and up.
    Last edited by szlevi; 08-10-13 at 02:09 PM.
    08-10-13 12:35 PM
    I will be curious when Z30 launches and try it out. Nevertheless, BB's future will be determined prior to Z30 launch. Right now, BB's future rides on sales of Q10 & Q5. All will be revealed on September 27, 2013 in the next earnings release. Yes, smartphones with keyboards will determine BB's immediate future.
    08-10-13 12:45 PM
    I will be curious when Z30 launches and try it out. Nevertheless, BB's future will be determined prior to Z30 launch. Right now, BB's future rides on sales of Q10 & Q5. All will be revealed on September 27, 2013 in the next earnings release. Yes, smartphones with keyboards will determine BB's immediate future.
    So you are saying Z30 won't be here before Oct? If so then it's way too late already and BB10 is pretty much done - I expect Z30 to be launched in tandem with 10.2, touting all the new features with an all-new phone, and 10.2 is slated for a Sep launch as far as I know...
    08-10-13 02:12 PM
32 12