"BlackBerry A10 Phablet to be Announced Soon after BB Z10 Success"

Can't wait until this is confirmed or disputed by BB.

BlackBerry A10 Phablet to be Announced Soon after BB Z10 SuccessStates Chronicle

http://stateschronicle.com/bb-a10-re...hone-1648.html
    06-17-13 11:58 AM
    So when do we find out if the Z10 is a success? They really need to avoid the word "soon" when it comes to BBRY as soon never is.
    06-17-13 12:23 PM
    "BlackBerry A10 Phablet to be Announced Soon after BB Z10 Success"

Can't wait until this is confirmed or disputed by BB.

BlackBerry A10 Phablet to be Announced Soon after BB Z10 SuccessStates Chronicle

BB A10 Release Date - Sprint to Carry New BlackBerry Flagship PhoneStates Chronicle

That's a very interesting publication you found there.

When I started reading the articles, and noticed some "strange" grammar as well as blatant typos (ie the bio for one of the authors of one of the articles, which clearly showed a picture of a female and referred to her in the female gender in several places, at one place in the bio refers to "HIM"...), I did a little research.

They claim to be based in Detroit MI and have been around a long while, it displays a bunch of pictures of caucasian staff members and shows US phone numbers, but that web domain was registered for the first time in April 2013 to some guy in India with an Islamic sounding name.

All that said, the A10 is somewhat of an open secret at this point, there are several threads discussing it here. The previous "codename" for that product was "Aristo".
    Last edited by Omnitech; 06-17-13 at 12:38 PM. Reason: single char typo
    DocDRM, HedoBum and raw_dog like this.
    06-17-13 12:23 PM

When I started reading the articles, and noticed some "strange" grammar as well as blatant typos (ie the bio for one of the authors of one of the articles, which clearly showed a picture of a female and referred to her in the female gender in several places, at one place in the bio refers to "HIM"...), I did a little research.

They claim to be based in Detroit MI and have been around a long while, it displays a bunch of pictures of caucasion staff members and shows US phone numbers, but that web domain was registered for the first time in April 2013 to some guy in India with an Islamic sounding name.

All that said, the A10 is somewhat of an open secret at this point, there are several threads discussing it here. The previous "codename" for that product was "Aristo".
    BOY! I love me some good ol' CrackBerry CSI!
    ajst222, DanceHike, tryfe and 3 others like this.
    06-17-13 12:25 PM
    Heh, these are the 3 comments an article of theirs on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2:

• David
      �dropped down� is redundant.
      You don�t �look forward to update your�� You look forward to updating your�
      You don�t �sign up a two year contract�. You sign up FOR a two year contract.
      �commence a new line�. ??? Seriously??
      You don�t switch to a �highly discounted offer�. You might switch to this highly touted phone..
      Dude, I hope no one is paying you much to write such sloppy articles!

• comeandgo43
      This would be a good article but your English is awkward. Not a native speaker and hard to follow. �Fastening the deal� is not an English term, nor are many of your other statements. Hard to read, very distracting.

• Bob White
      �This would be a good article but your English is awkward. Not a native
      speaker and hard to follow. �Fastening the deal� is not an English term,
      nor are many of your other statements. Hard to read, very distracting.�
      I think for maybe it is true, that a purchase of Note the II you are not ready for. Maybe you have more blue sky when press buttons of simpler gadjeet�.tonsooonnnnnnnnnn.
      Enjoyed this article!

bigjman and lcjr like this.
    06-17-13 12:35 PM

They claim to be based in Detroit MI and have been around a long while, it displays a bunch of pictures of caucasian staff members and shows US phone numbers, but that web domain was registered for the first time in April 2013 to some guy in India with an Islamic sounding name.

Oh yeah, in no way am I assuming this is true or if it has any facts within. I mearly love the idea of this happening and find it very interesting that this type thing is actually speculation. You have to admit, a device like this would be incredible!
    06-17-13 02:59 PM
    So when do we find out if the Z10 is a success? They really need to avoid the word "soon" when it comes to BBRY as soon never is.
    We should find the answer to that and more on June 28 (Earnings Report).
    06-17-13 03:00 PM
    Wow can you say Google translate?
    Thats what the article reads like.
    raw_dog and lcjr like this.
    06-17-13 03:10 PM
    Wow can you say Google translate?
    Thats what the article reads like.
    Yep, not well written but looking past that the idea is awesome don't you think?
    06-17-13 03:31 PM
    Yep, not well written but looking past that the idea is awesome don't you think?

Personally, I was really underwhelmed at the rumored specs of the A10/"Aristo" device.

A slightly larger screen with more ram and perhaps a quad-core processor rather than a dual-core? And LOWER screen resolution than the Z10?? I don't see much in the way of "innovation" in that at all.

As it is, my Z10 is slightly too large for convenient one-handed usage (at least for me), which makes me understand why Apple has historically been stubborn about increasing their iPhone screen size much. Much bigger than what they have now and it becomes unwieldy.

If you have a million devices like Samsung does, then sure, make a giant-screen model for the few people who want to hold a brick on their ear. But not for a company like Apple who markets basically one current device at a time. Even for Blackberry, they will have to do better than the specs I've seen for it to attract much attention from me. (Hint: bumping the internal horsepower slightly isn't that interesting, in the great big scheme of possible enhancements they could make.)
    06-17-13 07:15 PM
    Personally, I was really underwhelmed at the rumored specs of the A10/"Aristo" device.

A slightly larger screen with more ram and perhaps a quad-core processor rather than a dual-core? And LOWER screen resolution than the Z10?? I don't see much in the way of "innovation" in that at all.

As it is, my Z10 is slightly too large for convenient one-handed usage (at least for me), which makes me understand why Apple has historically been stubborn about increasing their iPhone screen size much. Much bigger than what they have now and it becomes unwieldy.

If you have a million devices like Samsung does, then sure, make a giant-screen model for the few people who want to hold a brick on their ear. But not for a company like Apple who markets basically one current device at a time. Even for Blackberry, they will have to do better than the specs I've seen for it to attract much attention from me. (Hint: bumping the internal horsepower slightly isn't that interesting, in the great big scheme of possible enhancements they could make.)
    Well, I guess I'm one of the few that love the idea of some type Phablet that's slightly larger than a normal smartphone but smaller than a tablet. I wouldn't have to hold it up to me ear, as I already have several very small bluetooth ear pieces you can barely see or could just use the speaker phone. The point being is I would like to see smething in between the phone and tablet for business purposes. But, as you pointed out, everyone will have a different opinion.
    06-18-13 10:28 AM

The LOWER screen resolution is 720p, which sharper than your eye can see. It all comes down to ppi (pixels per inch). The human eye with 20/20 version cannot see pixels if the screen is 226 ppi or higher at 12 inches. The A10 with a 4.65 inch screen and 720p will have a ppi of about 320 ppi. Anything more than 285 ppi is overkill and you won't notice the difference and will do nothing for your phone except reduce your battery life using the same size battery.
    tryfe likes this.
    06-18-13 11:27 AM
    The LOWER screen resolution is 720p, which sharper than your eye can see. It all comes down to ppi (pixels per inch). The human eye with 20/20 version cannot see pixels if the screen is 226 ppi or higher at 12 inches. The A10 with a 4.65 inch screen and 720p will have a ppi of about 320 ppi. Anything more than 285 ppi is overkill and you won't notice the difference and will do nothing for your phone except reduce your battery life using the same size battery.
    What would the ppi be if it's a 5 inch screen?

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 11:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    294ppi.

While I think a lot of people do understand that 720 pixels wide is in most cases good enough for a phone unless you're holding it really, really close,
    there are still a ton of people out there who will still WANT the 1080p display that other manufacturers are giving them now.

Also, I don't quite understand the drop from 768 pixels on the Z10 to 720 going forward. That just seems wierd to me.
    06-18-13 12:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    The human eye can see pixels on a 286 ppi screen at 12 inches away. At 10 inches, it is 344 ppi. Anything less than 10 inches is below the normal focus length of vision. So someone with perfect vision, the highest pp needed is 344. As we all know, 20/20 vision is the norm and these numbers would be much lower.

Here are some comparisons:

Playbook 7" @ 1024 x 600 (170 ppi)
    Z10 4.2" @ 1280 x 768 (356 ppi)
    "A10" 4.65" @1280 x 720 (315 ppi)
    Fictitious 5 5" @ 1280 x 720 (294 ppi)

Now take out a 12 inch ruler, put it to your eye ( don't poke yourself ) and then put your smartphone at the end of the ruler. Even for me, that is closer than I normally use my Z10. I usually have my phone at 14-15 inches. Using the formula V = 3437.7 / D where D is the distance and V is the ppi. Using my average distance (14.5) , then the ppi would 237 for perfect vision. I wear glasses and my 20/20 vision would put that number below 200.

SO even a 720p smartphone 5 inches or less is wasted on the average person. All it is good for is bragging rights and using up your battery.

As an experiment, take a Playbook (if you have it), put it at a distance of 18 inches from your eye. Play the Hi Def Sample Video. Can you see pixels?

Using the formula, the Playbook (170 ppi) at 18 inches, a person with perfect vision should see some pixels. The formula gives 190ppi. I cannot see pixels.
    06-18-13 12:38 PM
    The human eye can see pixels on a 286 ppi screen at 12 inches away. At 10 inches, it is 344 ppi. Anything less than 10 inches is below the normal focus length of vision. So someone with perfect vision, the highest pp needed is 344. As we all know, 20/20 vision is the norm and these numbers would be much lower.

Here are some comparisons:

Playbook 7" @ 1024 x 600 (170 ppi)
    Z10 4.2" @ 1280 x 768 (356 ppi)
    "A10" 4.65" @1280 x 720 (315 ppi)
    Fictitious 5 5" @ 1280 x 720 (294 ppi)

Now take out a 12 inch ruler, put it to your eye ( don't poke yourself ) and then put your smartphone at the end of the ruler. Even for me, that is closer than I normally use my Z10. I usually have my phone at 14-15 inches. Using the formula V = 3437.7 / D where D is the distance and V is the ppi. Using my average distance (14.5) , then the ppi would 237 for perfect vision. I wear glasses and my 20/20 vision would put that number below 200.

SO even a 720p smartphone 5 inches or less is wasted on the average person. All it is good for is bragging rights and using up your battery.

As an experiment, take a Playbook (if you have it), put it at a distance of 18 inches from your eye. Play the Hi Def Sample Video. Can you see pixels?

Using the formula, the Playbook (170 ppi) at 18 inches, a person with perfect vision should see some pixels. The formula gives 190ppi. I cannot see pixels.
    I just tried measuring while reading your post (lol)... I'm holding it just over 7 inches away.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 12:47 PM
    I just tried measuring while reading your post (lol)... I'm holding it just over 7 inches away.

Posted via CB10
    Time to go to the eye doctor to get glasses.

Reading Distance. The book or other material should be held as far from the eyes as possible. The distance from the elbow to the knuckles of the hand has been suggested as the minimum working distance. If the book can he propped up beyond arm's reach and read in this manner, this is even better. If you own or can afford to buy a projector that can project the pages of a book onto a screen across the room, this is better yet. In fact, this type of projector should be in every schoolroom and used by the teacher as much as possible in preference to asking the students to read from their books. If you ever watch a group of schoolchildren studying or writing, and pay particular attention to the distance between their eyes and their desks, you will note that many of them literally have their noses in their work.
    The Myopia Myth

From my knuckles to my elbow is 14 inches.
    06-18-13 01:00 PM
    Time to go to the eye doctor to get glasses.
    I have glasses for distance and I've been told I could use bifocals for reading, but not a "must" as I'm still young for that (doctors words, not mine) .

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 02:06 PM

I have made a similiar point many times, but there are people who swear that they can see the difference. (BTW, you don't have to be able to see individual pixels to nonetheless be able to perceive visual differences in resolution at high PPI levels.)

But my main point wasn't that we need this or that high resolution, my point was that I see little in the way of "innovation" in a slightly larger all-touchscreen device with a little more RAM, a faster CPU, and a slightly bigger screen that even has lower resolution than the Z10's display.

Truly, that to me is just a yawner. I could think of dozens of hardware changes they could make to actually improve the device, but when you make those sorts of changes, you sound like just another generic Chinese Android OEM which has no in-house engineering/development resources to speak of and just follows the pack with the monthly spec updates.
    06-18-13 03:11 PM
    294ppi.

While I think a lot of people do understand that 720 pixels wide is in most cases good enough for a phone unless you're holding it really, really close,
    there are still a ton of people out there who will still WANT the 1080p display that other manufacturers are giving them now.

Also, I don't quite understand the drop from 768 pixels on the Z10 to 720 going forward. That just seems wierd to me.
    Agreed and I really believe they will have the 1080p when it surfaces. Just an opinion as all of this is speculation. I'm hoping they're monitoring the Samsung Note 3 due out in September/November. That's a beast, so I'm hoping Blackberry will have one too.
    06-18-13 03:30 PM
    294ppi.

720p is more than GOOD ENOUGH, you can't see the difference between that and 1080p. People are paying for something that they can't see and uses more power.

It is easy to understand why 768 to 720. To get a 720p resolution phone, you need 720 pixels. And it also makes it the standard HD screen size. 768 x 1280 (WXGA) doesn't sound as good or as recognizable as 720 x 1280 (HD).

06-18-13 05:01 PM
    Agreed and I really believe they will have the 1080p when it surfaces. Just an opinion as all of this is speculation. I'm hoping they're monitoring the Samsung Note 3 due out in September/November. That's a beast, so I'm hoping Blackberry will have one too.
    BB has told developers that the future full touch phones will be 1280 x 720.

https://developer.blackberry.com/cas...ion/index.html
    lcjr likes this.
    06-18-13 05:05 PM
    5".. 1280x720..295ppi...2800mAh non-removable.

Or so the rumor goes.
    mithrazor likes this.
    06-18-13 05:10 PM
    720p is more than GOOD ENOUGH, you can't see the difference between that and 1080p. People are paying for something that they can't see and uses more power.
    Are you absolutely sure that with a 5" device, someone who holds it really close won't see any difference?
    (If so, that's great. I'm honestly curious and would feel better about it if I could look at the imaginary device myself, you know. )

No matter what, some people are going to want 1080p regardless of whether they can see a difference or not, just because other devices out there are 1080p. I'm not saying BlackBerry should do it. Yeah, it uses more power and all that.

It's just another hurdle for BB when people are looking at similarly sized devices with bigger numbers on a spec sheet.

It is easy to understand why 768 to 720. To get a 720p resolution phone, you need 720 pixels. And it also makes it the standard HD screen size. 768 x 1280 (WXGA) doesn't sound as good or as recognizable as 720 x 1280 (HD).
    Sorry, I understand why they'd want to go to a more standard screen size.
    I'm just thinking they probably should have just went with 720 wide on the Z10 in the first place.
    Then it wouldn't feel like a loss on future devices, and there wouldn't be a reason for people to ask "why?".
    06-18-13 06:58 PM
    Are you absolutely sure that with a 5" device, someone who holds it really close won't see any difference?
    (If so, that's great. I'm honestly curious and would feel better about it if I could look at the imaginary device myself, you know. )

No matter what, some people are going to want 1080p regardless of whether they can see a difference or not, just because other devices out there are 1080p. I'm not saying BlackBerry should do it. Yeah, it uses more power and all that.

It's just another hurdle for BB when people are looking at similarly sized devices with bigger numbers on a spec sheet.

Sorry, I understand why they'd want to go to a more standard screen size.
    I'm just thinking they probably should have just went with 720 wide on the Z10 in the first place.
    Then it wouldn't feel like a loss on future devices, and there wouldn't be a reason for people to ask "why?".
    1280 x 768 is more common that you think. Here is a list of devices and screen resolutions.

List of displays by pixel density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    06-18-13 09:01 PM
38 12