I feel that we lost something that has now taken away from our ability of being productive. Once upon a time, in Canada through Telus the was Mike. A push to talk service that had specific Mike Phones and also BlackBerry's with push to talk.

Being in construction, I see the need for this service. I think it would be absolutely amazing if BlackBerry could somehow bake a push to talk service into bbm similar to voxer. We have the external buttons. Why not put them to good use other than media controls? Anyone else think this would be pretty handy at times?

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 09:16 AM
    The old Nextel built a large and very successful business in many blue collar vertical industries using PTT. I personally knew quite a few HVAC companies who used it and loved it. They migrated to Sprint when they bought out Nextel. Was it IDEN they used for that?
    06-26-14 09:35 AM
    The old Nextel built a large and very successful business in many blue collar vertical industries using PTT. I personally knew quite a few HVAC companies who used it and loved it. They migrated to Sprint when they bought out Nextel. Was it IDEN they used for that?
    That I'm unsure of. Here in Canada originally Telus had "Mike" and later Bell entered with "10-4". Both worked just the same but Bell's 10-4 was not as popular with business' or consumers.

It would seem that the Carriers providing these services never bothered to really expand the areas where Mike and 10-4 were available. Which would probably be why the service died in the long run.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 09:53 AM
    It was IDEN. But the technology has become more efficient.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDEN
    06-30-14 09:41 AM