What is this Aristo? Is it an L series phone.

I dont buy this particular leak....2 gb of memory AND 2800 mAh battery? nope!
    What's so hard to believe? There are phones being released this month with same specs. Once the Aristo is released, specs like 2GB and 2800mAh battery will be on mid-range Android phones. By the time this is released, high end Android will probably move on to A15.
    10-02-12 11:11 PM
    The 2GB refers to just RAM.
    All the BBs I've ever had, had all the device memory lumped into one block. When an app was installed, the device also lost available RAM for running apps, not just storage space for apps...if the memory architecture is going to be the same for BB10, then 2GB isn't going to be impressive AT ALL. It'll be way behind every other manufacturers best phones.... and a bit behind the midrange phones, as well...
    10-02-12 11:27 PM
    All the BBs I've ever had, had all the device memory lumped into one block. When an app was installed, the device also lost available RAM for running apps, not just storage space for apps...if the memory architecture is going to be the same for BB10, then 2GB isn't going to be impressive AT ALL. It'll be way behind every other manufacturers best phones.... and a bit behind the midrange phones, as well...
    there is RAM and then alotted memory for app storage plus the addition of a SD card with legacy BBOS devices, no where have i seen a BBOS device use RAM for app data, there has always been a seperate app storage chip, with BB7 as well as the torch 9800 there was always 8gb or so plus a partition for app data and 512mb RAM for the 9800 and 768mb like the 9810, 9850/9860 and the 9900/9930, the BB7 curve i do believe uses 512mb RAm also
    10-02-12 11:36 PM
    there is RAM and then alotted memory for app storage plus the addition of a SD card with legacy BBOS devices, no where have i seen a BBOS device use RAM for app data, there has always been a seperate app storage chip, with BB7 as well as the torch 9800 there was always 8gb or so plus a partition for app data and 512mb RAM for the 9800 and 768mb like the 9810, 9850/9860 and the 9900/9930, the BB7 curve i do believe uses 512mb RAm also
    I suppose RIM had to learn something sooner or later...maybe if I had a BB that didn't run outta memory 5 times each day, I'd still have one. Too many times I had the dreaded hourglass show up during a phone call...that's when I decided BB wasn't a phone worth having
    10-03-12 01:59 AM
    I suppose RIM had to learn something sooner or later...maybe if I had a BB that didn't run outta memory 5 times each day, I'd still have one. Too many times I had the dreaded hourglass show up during a phone call...that's when I decided BB wasn't a phone worth having
    an'd i'm sure your lastt BB was a BB5 device so you really have no leg to stand on at this point, either realise whats offered in phons today or quite commenting about running out of RAM these days. i have never had issues running out of it on my 9900 but then again i don't keep weather apps or any other app of the sort that stays running in the background besides whats offered nativly
    10-03-12 05:53 AM
    It sounds like it will be outdated before it's released...
    PB with its aging hardware runs circles around most if not all quad core Android HH's. Microkernel QNX vs monolithic Android.
    drjay868 likes this.
    10-03-12 06:51 AM
    Bye London. Hello Aristo.

The size of the Aristo is almost identical to my HTC One X. This suits me perfectly as I can easily use it one hand.

I did like the London but had reservations that a 4.2 screen may be too small after using the 4.7 one on my X. The other specs just so happen to be great too. Its the big screen that appeals.

I can wait. Might get a mid range wp8 phone to play with in the meantime as I really, really like the new start screen on that.

I'd have preferred it if both the London and Aristo could launch at the same time then folk could simply buy what they prefer. I'd hate to have bought the London then have a phone in my preferred screen size (4.5 - 4.7) come out shortly after.
    10-03-12 07:21 AM
    Bye London. Hello Aristo.

The size of the Aristo is almost identical to my HTC One X. This suits me perfectly as I can easily use it one hand.

I did like the London but had reservations that a 4.2 screen may be too small after using the 4.7 one on my X. The other specs just so happen to be great too. Its the big screen that appeals.

I can wait. Might get a mid range wp8 phone to play with in the meantime as I really, really like the new start screen on that.

I'd have preferred it if both the London and Aristo could launch at the same time then folk could simply buy what they prefer. I'd hate to have bought the London then have a phone in my preferred screen size (4.5 - 4.7) come out shortly after.
    Not slamming or flaming you, but this is EXACTLY the concern I have, clearly illustrated.
    Again, I'm NOT slamming you in the least. I'm pointing that your post illustrates my concern.

Cheers!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    drjay868 likes this.
    10-03-12 07:30 AM
    Not slamming or flaming you, but this is EXACTLY the concern I have, clearly illustrated.
    Again, I'm NOT slamming you in the least. I'm pointing that your post illustrates my concern.

Cheers!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Yeah. I totally agree, I'm sure many who were planning to get the London will change their minds especially Android users who have grown accustomed to these big screens.

BB10 needs a big successful launch and having lots hold out for the Aristo might make it appear that it isn't selling too well.
    howarmat and pantlesspenguin like this.
    10-03-12 07:47 AM
    I could care less about the processer..i'm more interested in the larger screen and juicy battery! Om nom nom
    I only care about the processor if it's actually going to make an apprciable difference I'd actually notice. If we're talking about loading a desktop web page on a mobile device in 5 seconds vs 6, I'm not interested. Do it in 2 or 3 and now we're talking. KWIM?
    10-03-12 10:50 AM
    With these A-series specs I've begun to wonder if the L-series is a bit of a dead end. Not that they'll be bad phones - they'll be great. Just they're something Heins assumed responsibility for too far along in the process to change, and there won't be any follow ups to them - things like the screen resolution shift from 1280x768 to 1280x720 point to this in my mind. The hardware could have been changed but Heins didn't want any more delays and it was "good enough", perhaps more so if it had launched Q3/4 2012. If Heins had foreseen the software delay there might have even been enough time to redesign the hardware.

Thus the A-series will the actual superphone brand, one that Heins has been able to mould from the beginning.

These are just musings, I'm not complaining about the L-series. I'll happily get one if the A-series isn't launching near May (when I'm due for an upgrade), but being on the right side of the 768/720 resolution shift, bigger battery, sealed unit and UK LTE bands all appeal to me (although I think I'd prefer 4.2" screen...decisions decisions). Aaaand this is all assuming any of these specs are accurate...
    Last edited by gtpointer; 10-03-12 at 05:24 PM.
    10-03-12 05:21 PM
    blackberry Aristo has been put on wikipedias S4 pro APQ8064 list of devices, we've yet to see the dual core although there have been speculations about this
    10-03-12 06:44 PM
    there is no way I'm waiting any longer. The wait for the london device is already brutal enought. I'm gonna be getting the first BB 10 phone and I guess ima have to sell some plasma to get this Aristo beast when it comes down. I can always pass down the london to my fiancee.
    This is EXACTLY what I will be doing.. lol
    redk likes this.
    10-03-12 07:30 PM
    Specifications look very nice, but OMG this will be another giant phone, not possible to use it comfortably with one hand. It i size of Galaxy S3.

Why are they doing it so big, when Apple showed, that to have succesful phone it is not necessary to build gigantic phone.
    10-04-12 05:54 AM
    Sounds great. Give us an ecosystem, RIM.
    10-04-12 06:33 AM
    Sounds great. Give us an ecosystem, RIM.
    This^

Unlike all the fanatics here who are willing to throw their money at RIM before even having played with BB10, I'll be waiting to see reviews, get some hands on experience, and most importantly, seeing what kind of ecosystem RIM can provide. If all things point to "Go", then i'm hoping the Aristo will be right around the corner because that's where my money would go.

If the ecosystem looks anything like the PB's right now, then my money this year will be going to another Nexus device.
    Tre Lawrence and Rooster99 like this.
    10-04-12 10:24 AM
    This^

Unlike all the fanatics here who are willing to throw their money at RIM before even having played with BB10, I'll be waiting to see reviews, get some hands on experience, and most importantly, seeing what kind of ecosystem RIM can provide. If all things point to "Go", then i'm hoping the Aristo will be right around the corner because that's where my money would go.

If the ecosystem looks anything like the PB's right now, then my money this year will be going to another Nexus device.
    There's a lot of guys right now predicting the commoditization of smartphones in a few years. Basically, that means hardware is going to be basically the same among all lines of smartphones, similar to what you see in the PC market today. You'll have high end devices sporting the fastest processors, like high end PC/laptops, mid-range models with lesser but perfectly acceptable hardware, and low range models for budget consumers. Smartphone performance in basic tasks such as web browsing, will become pretty much identical, and basic PIM functions will converge on features. It's probably already started. With RIM's move to EAS, you can already see the convergence of features.

Anyway, the gist is that in a few years, because the hardware will no longer be a differentiator, people will buy into services and ecosystems. Even now, people heavily invested in Google will prefer Android, just because it makes using Google services much easier than a similar device from Apple or Nokia or RIM. In an environment where the hardware has become a commodity, the only thing differentiating the products will be their respective ecosystems. If RIM wants to keep relevant in smartphones in the near future, they're going to have to offer more than competitive hardware. Hardware is nice, but without the stuff around it, it's a paperweight. Same goes for OS.

I'm sure I'm going to get some responses saying stuff like... "BB10 is a game changer," "BB10 will control your car," "BB10's peek and flow will change the way people use smartphones," "BB10 will now have the best hardware to go with the best OS." The following is my reply to that. "Cool, I agree."
    10-04-12 11:14 AM
    There's a lot of guys right now predicting the commoditization of smartphones in a few years. Basically, that means hardware is going to be basically the same among all lines of smartphones, similar to what you see in the PC market today. You'll have high end devices sporting the fastest processors, like high end PC/laptops, mid-range models with lesser but perfectly acceptable hardware, and low range models for budget consumers. Smartphone performance in basic tasks such as web browsing, will become pretty much identical, and basic PIM functions will converge on features. It's probably already started. With RIM's move to EAS, you can already see the convergence of features.

Anyway, the gist is that in a few years, because the hardware will no longer be a differentiator, people will buy into services and ecosystems. Even now, people heavily invested in Google will prefer Android, just because it makes using Google services much easier than a similar device from Apple or Nokia or RIM. In an environment where the hardware has become a commodity, the only thing differentiating the products will be their respective ecosystems. If RIM wants to keep relevant in smartphones in the near future, they're going to have to offer more than competitive hardware. Hardware is nice, but without the stuff around it, it's a paperweight. Same goes for OS.

I'm sure I'm going to get some responses saying stuff like... "BB10 is a game changer," "BB10 will control your car," "BB10's peek and flow will change the way people use smartphones," "BB10 will now have the best hardware to go with the best OS." The following is my reply to that. "Cool, I agree."
    Yes, Yes and YES.

I think we are pretty much there. I think the biggest differentiating factor is already the ecosystem. It's why, IMHO, Apple wins, despite not winning the hardware race. I also think this is the biggest place RIM lost ground.

This phone does sound great, but to pull people in (and most importantly, keep them), RIM is gonna have to get some good content.
    Rickroller and Rooster99 like this.
    10-04-12 11:22 AM
    Yes, Yes and YES.

I think we are pretty much there. I think the biggest differentiating factor is already the ecosystem. It's why, IMHO, Apple wins, despite not winning the hardware race. I also think this is the biggest place RIM lost ground.

This phone does sound great, but to pull people in (and most importantly, keep them), RIM is gonna have to get some good content.
    We're probably not quite there yet, but it will happen soon. There's a reason Apple spent so much money on those huge data centers, and it's not just so they can make maps. There's a contingent of men and women who believe that Apple will soon offer other services to compete with Google, although they all agree search probably won't be one of them. I also don't believe MS is going to sit idly by and allow Google and Apple to completely control the future of mobile. If RIM wants to remain a player, they're going to have to partner up with somebody willing to spend large amounts of dollars in developing both competitive services, and services unique to RIM.
    Rickroller likes this.
    10-04-12 11:38 AM
    Yes, Yes and YES.

There's plenty of reason to believe that BB10 is going to bring some substantial improvements in the ecosystem.

Bear in mind that the app developers and movie/music producers LIKE having a variety of markets to sell to.

The new, unified App World looks very attractive, and that's a start. There's plenty of reason to believe that there will be new, significant developer support announced for the BB10 launch too.
    10-04-12 11:53 AM
    There's plenty of reason to believe that BB10 is going to bring some substantial improvements in the ecosystem.

Bear in mind that the app developers and movie/music producers LIKE having a variety of markets to sell to.

The new, unified App World looks very attractive, and that's a start. There's plenty of reason to believe that there will be new, significant developer support announced for the BB10 launch too.
    Agreed.

I think we here at CB need to understand something though: a slick, quad-core monster won't do what RIM needs in and of itself, which we seem to agree on.

I think content will be a major factor, and it works out to the benefit of all parties concerned.

Having said that, I cannot wait to see this rumor (hopefully) come to fruition. This phone is HOT.
    10-04-12 12:05 PM
    Are we going to get an A series board in the rumored devices section??
    10-04-12 12:09 PM
    We're probably not quite there yet, but it will happen soon. There's a reason Apple spent so much money on those huge data centers, and it's not just so they can make maps. There's a contingent of men and women who believe that Apple will soon offer other services to compete with Google, although they all agree search probably won't be one of them. I also don't believe MS is going to sit idly by and allow Google and Apple to completely control the future of mobile. If RIM wants to remain a player, they're going to have to partner up with somebody willing to spend large amounts of dollars in developing both competitive services, and services unique to RIM.
    yep eco system is the key but who knows where BB10 might end up in the long term.. I am bullish on the idea it might debut in home entertainment systems like TVs, DVD players and/or Roku type devices sometime next year and I am also optimistic that someone from these companies(Sony, LG, Samsung, Panny) will sign a licensing deal in the near term. How cool would it be if the next Sony PS4 runs on QNX/BB10?
    Last edited by sf49ers; 10-04-12 at 12:56 PM.
    toneytone likes this.
    10-04-12 12:35 PM
    yep eco system is the key but who knows where BB10 might end up in the long term.. I am bullish on the idea it might debut in home entertainment systems like TVs, DVD players and/or Roku type devices sometime next year and I am also optimistic that someone from these companies(Sony, LG, Samsung, Panny) will sign a licensing deal in the near term. How cool would it be if the next Sony PS4 runs on QNX/BB10?
    While I've thought of QNX on TVs, I've never thought of it on a gaming system like the PS4 before... That's very intriguing. Just like the PSP(?) that can continue a game you were playing on the PS3 after you leave the house, but now its on the BB10 device.

I like it.
    10-05-12 10:25 AM
    I just had this conversation with a co-worker. I see Sony as the perfect marriage with QNX expanding to the aftermarket car audio world then possibly to TVs and personal CPUs. Having QNX in your car, phone/tablet, TV, computer would be badass.
    10-05-12 11:11 AM
89 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD