What do you think are the biggest areas that BlackBerry does better than other phones? For me it's the efficiency of the messaging system and the fluidity of the bb10.2 Os

Posted via CB10
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    10-26-13 09:13 AM
    For me it's exactly what you said. The efficiency of the messaging system as well as fluidity of the OS. The seamless (read button-less) interaction with the phone just feels right. The whole screen is one big button on a touch device yet other companies still need a home button... That always killed the feel for me on the iphone.

Battery life is a big thing as well, you can tell the phones made for someone who needs to stay intouch, have quick access to all their contacts over various means of communication. Business comes first but play isn't far behind. For me having the option to use flash is a big one. I'm not huge on apps and like to use the browser for a lot of what I do instead of getting a dedicated app, so being able to stream a hockey game in flash on the CBC website is a nice plus for me.

You can see the QNX roots in the BB10 OS, application management is superb. The system doesn't bog or hang with multiple apps open and it just works as it should. The one downside (can I even call it that?) to the new OS and peek/flow management style is people need to learn it to appreciate it. I know when I played with BB10 in the store for a short period of time it was difficult to get a hang of it (even after watching lots of blackberry demos/conferences). You need to see the potential, commit to the device and then learn it to gain all the benefits of BB10. I can't wait to see how fluid I am as a user in the coming months.

I forget how capable this device is sometimes. HDMI out, mirracast, android runtime, flash, USB OTG and host.

After using an iphone and now on to BB10 there is just no way I can recommend an iphone. Android has its cool factor but considering it needs to be compatible with so many devices just makes the power requirements for smooth operation obscene. It may change as the hardware does get faster and more efficient but until now I have never been impressed with android packing quadcores and the like. Awesome my phone packs a quadcore, hold on while I charge.

Faster hardware running BB10/QNX makes me drool with the capabilities
    Akuji_ism likes this.
    10-26-13 09:35 AM
    I as will echo that the streamlined messaging capabilities of BBOS10 appear to be a huge strength for this platform. I love the in-app message displays that 10.2 brought in. The hub in general does an amazing job "attempting" to develop some kind of order to the dozen email, chat, text, social media services that bombard people with messages daily.

I will not diminish the capabilities of the iphone (just been given a 5S from work and it is indeed a nice phone) however I still contend that the Q10 is the best smartphone Ive ever owned and I wont even touch the i5S outside of working hours.
    10-26-13 09:41 AM
    Typing on the Z10 is amazing and I love how fast I can pound out email and text messages. I always hated using full touch screen devices but not anymore. I only use a few apps like DropBox, Reebee, CB10 and TD and the browser still remains the number one thing I use most on a daily basis. Android is a great OS but over a year of using one, it gets bloated with too many "junk-wares" that consumes more and more power. I hated having to go into the App Manager and force stop those annoying apps. I can never stand the home button on iPhones and navigating within the browser wasn't appealing to me. I love the fact that BB10 has Flash so I can watch Vietnamese & Chinese movies & Korean drama on the go.

BB Z10 is like my sassy girl but I may upgrade to the Z30 to get a sassier one

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 09:54 AM
    All +1!

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 11:55 AM
    I'm a corporate user of the BlackBerry and that's what sets it apart for me. We've always had the BlackBerry Enterprise Server environment for configuring our devices and on the BB10 platform it really makes the phone shine. Over the past year, we've been configuring an MDM solution for iOS devices and it's been one of the most challenging, frustrating processes we've been through. Trying to create an enterprise-friendly process to activate a new device for iOS was nearly impossible - they're designed to be activated by a consumer with a credit card - and the Apple Store is still designed that way. There's no way to manage files, we had to add a VPN client to allow them to access internal web sites - they can't access file shares without painstaking configuration and multiple applications - it's very obvious that these were not designed for a corporate environment - in fact, our Apple rep repeatedly said the same thing when we asked how to do yet another common task with the iOS devices.

The BlackBerry 10 server configuration was quite buggy and difficult, even with our expert staff who have been running the older versions for years - much of this was based on being amongst the first to set it up. BlackBerry has implemented several patches and bug-fixes based on our original implementation project - we worked very closely with them. We still have a couple of issues with how they're approaching the new platform - they still figure they should do things the way Android and Apple approach consumers in some ways and we're encouraging them to focus on what they do well - enterprise and security. However, we do have the server up and running and quite stable. We're working through a few bugs, but it's amazing how few there are when you consider the major upgrades and changes they've made to the product over the last couple of years.

I had been using an iPhone for about 8 months while we set up the new environment and I was amazed at how much better the Z10 was when we got it all up and operational. Activation couldn't be any simpler - done from a central console without any need for the end-user to be creating accounts linked to credit cards...! E-mail from our Exchange server starting flowing immediately - search functions worked again, sorting and filtering much improved over the iPhone. And then the final touch - calendar management! iOS devices SUCK at this! I can't say that enough...they really, really SUCK (get the picture)? Especially running on an Exchange server. My devices were constantly out of sync with each other, booking meetings often failed - during one of the early iOS 6 releases, there was a bug in them that very nearly brought down the Exchange servers for the whole enterprise! They suck... Then I tried the new BB - and once again I could forward a meeting request to invite additional people to meetings (can't do that on iOS), there was a well laid-out screen with details (ALL details not just the first 100 characters or so of the meeting details like iOS), a People tab with all invitees, and even an e-mail tab that showed any related e-mails with similar subjects. Fantastic! I live in my calendar and it has to work for me...the BlackBerry does! So forget the number of apps and ultra-high resolutions, face detection, etc, etc...that other phones have - first and foremost, it's a productivity tool for me and nothing works as well (including Android) in a work environment - period.

Then to find out that the BB10 devices use IP tunneling through the BES means we're already connected to our internal network - I can already access all our internal websites without adding a thing! We can directly connect to our Lync 2010 service and I get presence and IM service from the work portion of the BB phone (Balance). Finally, there's an app that lets me browse my personal and shared files on our internal file server - again without having to add any apps or do any additional configuration! This blows iOS out of the water...

Now that the Z30 has been released, I have a large-format phone that I've been waiting for with a great screen that's also great for multimedia - we display videos often and now people can actually hear what's being said with 3-4 people around the phone - speakers are fantastic. The phone itself is a bit heavier and more solidly built than the fragile iPhone or the plastic S4 - it's a commercial grade business phone - that also does a great job of playing when I'm between meetings. Whatever apps I can't find in BlackBerry World, I've been able to find as a .BAR file and side-load it. That was a bit of a chore at the beginning, but now I can use Google chrome - it has an app that loads .BAR files on BlackBerry 10 devices without installing anything to your desktop (which I can't do because my corporate desktop computer is locked down). Search for an app, download it - wirelessly connect to the Z30's IP address and use the Chrome app to install the application - I can do this from my Surface tablet too. It's actually easy now!

I'm a full supporter of BlackBerry for all these reasons - now if the press would just stop trying so hard to sabotage their reputation!
    10-26-13 04:50 PM
    For me it's exactly what you said. The efficiency of the messaging system as well as fluidity of the OS. The seamless (read button-less) interaction with the phone just feels right. The whole screen is one big button on a touch device yet other companies still need a home button... That always killed the feel for me on the iphone.

Battery life is a big thing as well, you can tell the phones made for someone who needs to stay intouch, have quick access to all their contacts over various means of communication. Business comes first but play isn't far behind. For me having the option to use flash is a big one. I'm not huge on apps and like to use the browser for a lot of what I do instead of getting a dedicated app, so being able to stream a hockey game in flash on the CBC website is a nice plus for me.

You can see the QNX roots in the BB10 OS, application management is superb. The system doesn't bog or hang with multiple apps open and it just works as it should. The one downside (can I even call it that?) to the new OS and peek/flow management style is people need to learn it to appreciate it. I know when I played with BB10 in the store for a short period of time it was difficult to get a hang of it (even after watching lots of blackberry demos/conferences). You need to see the potential, commit to the device and then learn it to gain all the benefits of BB10. I can't wait to see how fluid I am as a user in the coming months.

I forget how capable this device is sometimes. HDMI out, mirracast, android runtime, flash, USB OTG and host.

After using an iphone and now on to BB10 there is just no way I can recommend an iphone. Android has its cool factor but considering it needs to be compatible with so many devices just makes the power requirements for smooth operation obscene. It may change as the hardware does get faster and more efficient but until now I have never been impressed with android packing quadcores and the like. Awesome my phone packs a quadcore, hold on while I charge.

Faster hardware running BB10/QNX makes me drool with the capabilities
    and,there are so many different flavors of Android phones.
    10-26-13 04:59 PM
    Apps with tiles let you think you're getting something for nothing and maybe even cheating the system or overclocking. Depends on your outlook on life.

One day someone shall get the bright idea of displaying all the functions talked about above as individual apps, each one with its own tile. What a hilarious video that would make.

:-)
    10-26-13 05:23 PM
    What OP said, for me the fluidity is all. Is like any movement of your fingers commands anything and everything.

It's like your brain was directly connected to the phone. You think of doing something, slide a finger and bam! You're there

You are now in my Bingo Book
    10-27-13 12:25 AM
    The characteristic red LED light

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 wuhaha using CB Forums mobile app
    10-27-13 12:49 AM
    I like it because it's a communications tool first and foremost. The "fun stuff" comes second, but it is still there (the fun). Mobile computing needs BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 02:11 PM