I've found lots of information about using my old Z30 as a universal remote, but want to get a remote to control my phone.

I watch most of my media using Roku/Plex, but haven't found a simple and reliable way to stream online video (from any source, not just YouTube) to my TV. I'd like to just park my Z30 close to the TV, plug it in to power, connect them with an HDMI/Micro HDMI cable and leave it there, so when I want to watch online video I can just navigate to it on the phone and watch it on the TV. I want to control the web browser on the Z30 from my couch.

I've been looking at inexpensive universal remotes that have a small keyboard, Wi-Fi, and IR learning so I could control the TV, soundbar, and Z30 with a single remote. Would something like the iPazzPort remote work (just use an adapter to plug the dongle into my Z30)? Or is there a better (but still inexpensive) choice?

Any ideas? Thanks!

The iPazzPort details are here:

https://www.amazon.ca/iPazzPort-Wire...UvbUpU13360941
    03-12-19 02:59 PM
    Theoretically, it should work but reality suggests it could work.. or it could just be a waste of time and money.
    03-12-19 07:31 PM
    The closest I have come to this is using another phone to connect via bluetooth to the z30. I have done this with bluetouch app.
    You will still need to wake your z30 up and connect to the other phone.

Another option is miracast your z30 to the TV via a miracast device. I use the netgear or Microsoft display adapter. You will still need to do everything on the z30.

I have used the z30 as a remote with the harmony hub app. Works well. Can control multiple devices via that app.

Had a keyboard connected through the harmony hub. It had preset buttons to turn on certain inputs on the TV. I could turn on the cable tv, or one of the hdmi inputs.
    I had it connected to turn on hdmi where my phone was connected and then control the phone via bluetooth. The keyboard also turned on the soundbar anytime the tv was turned on.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-19 08:08 PM
    Get an HDMI cable that reaches from TV to couch; simple and guaranteed to work!
    03-12-19 08:30 PM
    Through the web browser's debugging tools with bindings, a second BB10 & yea the HDMI. If you want to control the Z30 you need a classic, z30 or passport connected to your target Z30 when it is in debugging mode or running a webserver like 'python3.2 -m http.server' And, something to proxy messages back and forth reliably like Codemirror(really need a keyboard for the one on the device), a repl and localStorage,Websql, or indexedDB. Might want to check this out for BB10

Check out BRON in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/42462901

Like blaze said though, it could be a waste of energy.
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 03-13-19 at 09:25 AM.
    03-12-19 09:35 PM
    I've found lots of information about using my old Z30 as a universal remote, but want to get a remote to control my phone.

I watch most of my media using Roku/Plex, but haven't found a simple and reliable way to stream online video (from any source, not just YouTube) to my TV. I'd like to just park my Z30 close to the TV, plug it in to power, connect them with an HDMI/Micro HDMI cable and leave it there, so when I want to watch online video I can just navigate to it on the phone and watch it on the TV. I want to control the web browser on the Z30 from my couch.

I've been looking at inexpensive universal remotes that have a small keyboard, Wi-Fi, and IR learning so I could control the TV, soundbar, and Z30 with a single remote. Would something like the iPazzPort remote work (just use an adapter to plug the dongle into my Z30)? Or is there a better (but still inexpensive) choice?

Any ideas? Thanks!

The iPazzPort details are here:

https://www.amazon.ca/iPazzPort-Wire...UvbUpU13362162
    Hey rhythym,

I'd suggest you pick up a second Z30 or Z10 and use this:

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ode=CA&lang=en

It's a free native app that turns the host BB10 device into a remote control for any other device that accepts a Bluetooth connection. Easy, far less complex than the iPazzPort, and cake to implement and use.
    03-14-19 03:23 AM