The 10.3.1 OTA update was not kind to my Z30. It now freezes randomly and is very laggy. So I've decided that I would like to wipe it clean and reload the OS fresh.

For the folks that have done this before, what are some good best practices to follow? Should I use BB Link to wipe? Should I do a security wipe on the device? Will the phone reload 10.2.1 or 10.3.1?

I would like to restore only Candy Crush, Temple Run and Remember. Is this possible? I will reinstall whatever else I want back from the various app stores.

Will the wipe nuke my SD card? Should I physically pop it out of the phone?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    03-20-15 09:57 PM
    The security wipe will just get rid of all the info and accts on your phone, you will still have the same OS you have installed right now.

I never take my s/d card out,

Awipe might help your phone, might not, so if your doing all this , why not install the newest leak via loader which will wipe your device at the same time.
    03-20-15 10:13 PM
    You can probably chance it with a Autoloader. That wipes your phone blank then loads the Autoloader OS. I've done this a few times with a Q5 and it was successful. Haven't tried with the Z30 though. I get minor lagg here and there, but nothing major with the most recent update. I am sure BlackBerry will resolve any issues in the coming days, weeks.
    03-21-15 12:06 AM
    If you do a backup with BB Link, you can do a Custom restore and select which apps to reload.
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-21-15 12:35 AM
    Thx for the replies!
    03-21-15 11:12 AM
    I'm not sure a security wipe reinstall the OS.

Best to reinstall of with Link or an autoloader.
    I never restore applications and just reinstall them.

My contacts etc are on servers so they simply resync.

If your SD card is encrypted, remember to decrypt first as the card will have to be formated if you don't.

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    FF22 and LuvULongTime like this.
    03-21-15 12:30 PM
    I'm not sure a security wipe reinstall the OS.

Best to reinstall of with Link or an autoloader.
    I never restore applications and just reinstall them.

My contacts etc are on servers so they simply resync.

If your SD card is encrypted, remember to decrypt first as the card will have to be formated if you don't.

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    Thx Chris. So Link is the way to go. The SD card is not encrypted, but I did encrypt the on device storage. Not sure of that matters?
    03-21-15 05:09 PM
    How did it go?

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 07:19 PM
    How did it go?

Posted via CB10
    Haven't done it yet.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 08:30 PM
    Just so you know, a lot of people have problems with link, as to why a lot of people on here never back up and restore via link, we use apps like Back up pro from BBW and other apps, the phones always seem to work better when set up like new,

Just saying,
    03-21-15 08:35 PM
    The security wipe will just get rid of all the info and accts on your phone, you will still have the same OS you have installed right now.

I never take my s/d card out,

Awipe might help your phone, might not, so if your doing all this , why not install the newest leak via loader which will wipe your device at the same time.
    So the wipe won't erase my SD card if I leave it in?

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 02:40 AM
    Use BlackBerry link and do an OS reload. Fixes 100% of problems that are related to a bad install. Actual OS bugs might not be fixed, but this is the best way by far
    03-22-15 08:53 AM
    Also be aware that a Security Wipe can take HOURS. Sometimes much less but folks have reported 5 and 6 hours. And it should not be interrupted.
    03-22-15 08:54 AM
    So the wipe won't erase my SD card if I leave it in?

Posted via CB10
    i never take mine out, but that's not to say you shouldn't.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    03-22-15 09:10 AM
    Thanks everyone! It sounds like a security wipe is not what I want/am interested in as I am looking for a fresh OS install. So I will need to use Link to backup my data first and then reload the OS fresh via Link and also restore any saved data from my Link backup.

One more question. If I use Link to do a full backup of the phone including apps, contacts, phone numbers, device settings, etc. can I then selectively restore only parts of that full backup (ex. only Contacts and Candy Crush?)? If yes, can I do multiple restores? So let's say I restore my contacts and Candy Crush first, and then decide a couple of days later I also want to restore my pictures and Temple Run, is this possible?
    03-22-15 10:35 AM
    The less you restore the better.
    If you restore you are bringing along the old problems
    03-22-15 11:01 AM
    I recently upgraded from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1.2558.

I have a perfectly working phone, android apps, notification volume everything works. So what did I do?

Deleted all the android apps and BlackBerry World apps I had installed.
    Do a SIC wipe (search the forums if your not familiar)
    Load the OS via autoloader. ( I got mine from Thruask bitcasa site)
    Setup phone,and reinstall all apps from scratch.
    My contacts and calendar are in the cloud so they loaded up automatically once I setup my email account.

It's longer and a bit more painful to start from scratch, but it gave ME the best results. I really don't have any of the issues people talk about here on the forum and am amazed of how much issues and what could go wrong.

In addition I'm using a Z10- STL-001, which is supposed to be the ugly duckling of all BB10 devices, but mine works great and I have a reliable working phone .

Just sharing my experience and what I did.

Good luck.
    Cheers!

Zwiped from my Zed/10.3.1
    Chris Chin and LuvULongTime like this.
    03-22-15 11:57 AM
    I used an Autoloader about two weeks ago.

I backed up using BBLink. I then did a CUSTOM Restore. In Custom, select details or whatever gives you a list. Make sure to NOT select Blackberry Runtime - it is the Android Module and restoring an old one can really mess up Android apps.

Personally, I backup and restore media (photos, videos, docs, music, well, almost all files) manually. I use Wifi-sharing or usb and copy/move stuff using Windows Explorer to/from computer. I do keep forgetting to back up my kindle books and sometimes other stuff on the Internal memory (like my wallpaper, I've got an html that I created that I use as my homepage, stuff like that)

Using Custom, you should be able to restore some and then some more but knowing BBLink, I would not count on it exactly. It is not the best program.

Remember that as long as you use the same BBID you can always get most apps again (I guess some old stuff might not be in BB World) but you would lose your settings and scores in games. Similarly, if you have stuff you got from Amazon, it is also still available if you log in with your original id.

You might want to sync contacts and calendar with the cloud or use one of the 3rd party apps just for security.
    LuvULongTime and Avenzuno like this.
    03-22-15 01:13 PM
    IMHO, that is the best way.

I had to resolve some problems so reloaded the OS then reinstalled applications. The only "restore" i do is actually the import for password keeper, not a restore, ... import.

All my contacts etc at in my Outlook.com account, so they re-sync.

Hope it goes well for the OP.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    03-25-15 07:33 AM